Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

roffles posted:

RIGBY, I'm looking forward to episodes where he's not being a super whiny diva which is weird because it seemed like he started off not wanting to be A BOSS in the first place.
Excellent use of RIGBY. Richard is definitely the weak link of the group, but he's also the glue holding together the rest of Pied Piper together. That's valuable in and of itself.

Holyshoot posted:

Wheres Jian Yang!
Still around as a regular cast member. Unless you want a character description, in which case I could do that. He hasn't contributed as much as the other characters, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

*next episode*

"Wow, Monica...you look...different."

Well they should change something about Monica because right now shes just a limp-dick Mary Sue.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

EugeneJ posted:

I visited Palo Alto for the first time a few weeks ago - the show needs more Asian girls if it wants to be realistic

Or just more east Asians in general. They're a huge proportion of the Silicon Valley workforce, yet all we see is FOB-y Jian Yang.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Honestly could use a rip for Peter Gregory. He was too good for this worlds

Veskit fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 26, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Excellent use of RIGBY. Richard is definitely the weak link of the group, but he's also the glue holding together the rest of Pied Piper together. That's valuable in and of itself.

Still around as a regular cast member. Unless you want a character description, in which case I could do that. He hasn't contributed as much as the other characters, though.

Sorry I meant for the first episode not your OP. He always makes me burst out laughing with any scene he is in.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

He wasn't in the episode, but the actor's name was in the end credits, so don't worry, he'll be here.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh god the deer.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

MoPZiG posted:

Well they should change something about Monica because right now shes just a limp-dick Mary Sue.

How exactly is Monica a perfect representation of anything and effortlessly solving any problems? She spends most of her time as a glorified messenger for whatever respective groups have status quo changes for Richard.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
She doesn't even have any agency because she's beholden to "the man's" (her company) interests so yeah she's pretty useless and as been for a long time.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'm just waiting for her and Richard to gently caress.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Mary Sues aren't powerless.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Is she powerless? She says the right things to keep the ship rolling all while presumably drawing a middle management salary from Bream. I haven't rewatched the first seasons in a while so I dont remember if her position was actually under threat.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Jared giving Erlich's bong CPR cracked me up the hardest

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

squidgee posted:

Dudes a good manager and just mindfucked Richard into letting him on board. Nothing about that was him being particularly chill, it was all him knowing that going in guns blazing was the wrong move, and that he needs Richard on board to make the company work and that Richard won't get on board unless he thinks it's his idea in the first place. Same deal with Erlich: there's no way that he's actually a fan of Erlich and Aviato.

Haha, the guy was pretty much textbook portraying what BMA's get taught in leadership class about conflict resolution and negotiation.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Xoidanor posted:

Haha, the guy was pretty much textbook portraying what BMA's get taught in leadership class about conflict resolution and negotiation.

Exactly.

Also "Richard, I hear and appreciate each and every one of your concerns" made me laugh pretty hard.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Golden Bee posted:

Mary Sues aren't powerless.

She's more of an Expository Eileen.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Loved Big Head's surprise severance.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Troy Queef posted:

Repost from the old thread: new things you'll note in the open are Google getting an Alphabet sign, the new Tesla building, the Uber balloon fighting it out with a smaller Lyft balloon, drones everywhere, and a very busy food stand selling Soylent.

Also a group of protesters blockading a Yahoo bus.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

He didn't get to be "Action Jack" by not thinking ahead. I can't wait to see Bachman when he realizes he's been had.

I have no idea how you look at Monica and think "Mary Sue." She feels like the most conflicted character: she's the cheerleader for the Pied Piper crew, but she's also carrying some weight at Raviga. I do kinda want to see some expanded role for her this season.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

SlipkPIe posted:

Jared giving Erlich's bong CPR cracked me up the hardest

This was the best. I'm so glad this show is back (and already renewed for season 4). It's simply a very enjoyable half hour of tv.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Monica has very little narrative agency.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

gret posted:

Or just more east Asians in general. They're a huge proportion of the Silicon Valley workforce, yet all we see is FOB-y Jian Yang.

There's definitely a handful more, including Dinesh, but the portrayal is almost as bad a The Walking Dead in actually reflecting the population of where it takes place.

I can't remember, but I don't think two Asians have even shared a scene together. Maybe the season 1 finale.

This show might have an Asian Highlander issue, haha.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Walking Dead heard those criticisms and actually added black people that weren't named things like "T-Dog" around season 3. SV so far hasn't seemed to address that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Walking Dead heard those criticisms and actually added black people that weren't named things like "T-Dog" around season 3. SV so far hasn't seemed to address that.

TWD also has the issue of being completely dogshit terrible, so I'm willing to give SV some slack on this matter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It also got much more watchable around the time they added black people! It's trash TV that wants to be prestige, but it's not interminably boring anymore.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I don't want equal representation in my comedy show please just get the funny people. If you were to then you'd have zero women blacks or Latinos in the show. Also a lot more assholes.

Also Jared would be a woman considering he's hr

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Veskit posted:

Also Jared would be a woman considering he's hr

Since when are MBA's programs not predominately made up of men...? And was that really his role at Hooli? I can't remember.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

Since when are MBA's programs not predominately made up of men...? And was that really his role at Hooli? I can't remember.

Mostly being 60/40, and I thought Jared was an HR exec. He knew a lot of specific information that really only someone in HR would know, regardless of which MBA program he went through.

Someone confirm this so we can put this what gender would RL Jared be debate :colbert:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I've decided that Silicon Valley's poor representation is a meta-joke unto its own. Also we still got this gem from season 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-b7-fLOjlY

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

hi liter posted:

I've decided that Silicon Valley's poor representation is a meta-joke unto its own. Also we still got this gem from season 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-b7-fLOjlY

It cuts out the 3 other bosses that step in.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

This was in the related videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y64UeNeiOM

/fakeedit: the video's background color is way to similar to that of the forums

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Veskit posted:

Mostly being 60/40, and I thought Jared was an HR exec. He knew a lot of specific information that really only someone in HR would know, regardless of which MBA program he went through.

What in specific are you thinking of?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

What in specific are you thinking of?

Remember when they were trying to hire that extra coder and it ended up being the chick and he knew every law regarding how to hire them and was a HR eccentric episode? Then it was peppered throughout the first season when they were setting up.

He's not on the finance side, that part is certain, he's not in accounting, IT, international, meeting with anyone outside the company, nor is he in revenue. It effectively leaves project management and HR, or maybe some specialized area?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

He was also teaching them SCRUM, so maybe he's more of a general business guy? Or he knows whatever the show needs him to

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Are people seriously arguing about what Jared does?

The guy fucks

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Omne posted:

He was also teaching them SCRUM, so maybe he's more of a general business guy? Or he knows whatever the show needs him to

Nah you can know scrum in hr and use it!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Are people seriously arguing about what Jared does?

The guy fucks

You hella gently caress in hr yo you're above the law

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guys he is clearly a non-technical middle manager.

edit: who also fucks

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Omne posted:

SCRUM is project development which falls under innovation management. What came to my mind was pivoting which is more of strategy consulting thing. Nevertheless, clearly he majored in being the guy who fucks.

EDIT: Maybe it's Mergers & Acquisitions? That would explain why he's well versed in hiring practices, strategy and project development.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 27, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I thought he was the CFO, since he started as Gavin's assistant and bailed to follow Richard so he's got to have a high level view of financials from working for such a big shot.

Also, he fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

CFO would explain why he fucks, it that's a pretty big loving position and he would have been a suit which he wasn't.

Xoidanor posted:

SCRUM is project development which falls under innovation management. What came to my mind was pivoting which is more of strategy consulting thing. Nevertheless, clearly he majored in being the guy who fucks.

EDIT: Maybe it's Mergers & Acquisitions? That would explain why he's well versed in hiring practices, strategy and project development.

Mergers and acquisitions again explains why he fucks. He's an expert you know what I've come on board with that now Jared is mergers and acquisitions.

• Locked thread