Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They should've stayed with Hanneman. He supported their vision, didn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This horse fucks - Russ Hanneman

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I'm assuming the American Humane Association was also there to monitor things, yes?

Yeah, we had the American Humane Society reps who oversee things any time there's an animal. HBO is really good about that. One thing I learned about this is that in the artificial insemination process — which is not the method we used but is the more standard way to do it — there are these male horses who start having sex with the female horses but are then pulled off before they ejaculate. So basically, this horse's entire life is having sex not to completion and being blue balled. I think the Humane Society ought to get involved in that one because that's really cruel [Laughs.]

lol

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Was that real horses or CGI?
I am amazed we lives in a world where people ask "is it real or CGI" when two horses are having sex. Someone should start a watch real animals having sex .com it looks like there is a market there. Believe me when a mare is in heat and you bring a stallion next to it, missing the money shot is pretty pretty hard.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 3, 2016

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

nooneofconsequence posted:

5 horses died filming that scene.

Still a better show than Luck.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Do the horses need any sort of… encouraging?

Nope, the minute the male sees the mare in heat, no coaxing has to be done [Laughs.] I mean, they go crazy. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube…

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

That's the only thing that's fake is, well, the horses actually go very quickly.
Maybe the ones you have been loving. :smuggo:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do the horses need any sort of… encouraging?

Nope, the minute the male sees the mare in heat, no coaxing has to be done [Laughs.] I mean, they go crazy. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube…

What notes did HBO have?

It's funny, I actually have an email from [senior vp of comedy programming] Amy Gravitt where she said, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but can we have more screen time with the horses having sex?"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

New thread title right here

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

"Now if you'll excuse me, I paid $150,000 for the semen that's about to come out of that stallion and I would very much like to see that it happens."

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's HBO. There is no way those horses weren't real.

They were the remaining (unemployed) cast of LUCK.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Except the Nucleus guys seemed to not be interested in working together at all - they just wanted the 'secret sauce.'

The more likely eventuality is that Pied Piper's ~super speshul~ IP suddenly becomes diluted by a ton of other similar options that, while not as good, will probably offer themselves at a lower price point.

More like they'll ALSO be clueless about Gavin's tactics and get tangled up in lawsuit but won't have the luxury of knowing about how the arbitrator ruled in Pied Piper's favor.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SLOSifl posted:

I swear I've been in meeting exactly like those.

"Hi, Dave from SE regional, when you said that X isn't a feature you're aware of, we sold X to a new client and it's going to be a huge deal for us. So you misspoke?"

Yea this is uncomfortably close to reality

I don't even work in software, I work in Finance but it's great when there's a massive cost saving initiative and then sales comes out and is like "HEY IT'S ONLY $40k WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?! I TOLD MY CUSTOMER IT'LL BE A GLOSSY FINISH"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

drunkill posted:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

drunkill posted:

This horse fucks - Russ Horseman

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Good article
http://www.businessinsider.com/hbo-silicon-valley-enterprise-2016-5?r=UK&IR=T

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I thought the horse loving had been talked about to death, but PETA hadn't weighed in on the "arranged rape":

http://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/PETA-Blasts-Silicon-Valley-Explicit-Horse-7390317.php

hepscat fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 3, 2016

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

hepscat posted:

I thought the horse loving had been talked about to death, but PETA hadn't weighed in on the "arranged rape":

http://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/PETA-Blasts-Silicon-Valley-Explicit-Horse-7390317.php

loving PeTA. Literally the worst "people" on Earth. Sometimes I think about just running up and kicking the poo poo out of some dog just to piss them off, but not only will I not do that because I'm not a monster, they wouldn't mind terribly it if I did that because they kill SHITLOADS of dogs that could be adopted out as pets.

Maybe they'll chill out if we tell them that they're not breeding these horses just for entertainment or trophies, but they in fact plan on eating all the meat, so it's OK.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Learned a lot about horse loving ITT

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Angering PETA is as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

PETA kills more animals than they save.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

DrunkPanda posted:

Real talk, I work at a tech company and the CTO that was around since the beginning and basically invented everything for the company quit pretty recently, due to the sales people focusing too much on trying to monetize everything and destroying the R&D budget. I'm starting to think I'm watching a tv show of my life :stare:

Haha, I know the feeling. Except in my case I was the CTO who quit. This show is so shockingly accurate at times it's downright uncomfortable, right down to crazy "moonshots" teams. It's that special sort of uncomfortable where you can't even really mention how close to home it is without insulting some of the people who have obvious counterparts in the show.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Dead Snoopy posted:

They were the remaining (unemployed) cast of LUCK.

More like they'll ALSO be clueless about Gavin's tactics and get tangled up in lawsuit but won't have the luxury of knowing about how the arbitrator ruled in Pied Piper's favor.

But didn't the arbitration make all the employee agreements null and void? Wouldn't all the work they did on hooli time be up for grabs?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Accretionist posted:

Angering PETA is as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.

:golfclap: #dadjokes #sorrynotsorry

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

But didn't the arbitration make all the employee agreements null and void? Wouldn't all the work they did on hooli time be up for grabs?

They mentioned that not all the employment contracts had the illegal non-compete clause. I'd assume these (ex)-Nucleus guys didn't have illegal contracts or else they could've just let them go without severance and reclaim the stock options as the lawyers mentioned earlier.

I can see Jack hiring them to protect the Pied Piper stock, which probably sets up the main conflict for the rest of the season and hopefully ends with the BigHead funded new venture for season 4!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

hepscat posted:

"The HBO show’s May 1 episode featured two stallions going at it, and the animal rights organization was not amused". Yeah, typical PETA style homophobia.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

enki42 posted:

Haha, I know the feeling. Except in my case I was the CTO who quit. This show is so shockingly accurate at times it's downright uncomfortable, right down to crazy "moonshots" teams. It's that special sort of uncomfortable where you can't even really mention how close to home it is without insulting some of the people who have obvious counterparts in the show.

Well do you have a car where the doors go up at least

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Alright, can someone explain what the Pied Piper box actually is? I'm pretty confused about what the actual purpose of that would be.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
a box that compresses all your data and makes it REALLY secure

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Speaking of fiction copying reality, the first episode made me shift uncomfortably on my chair because Erlich reminded me of one of the founders of a startup I used to work for. Not in the put-your-balls-on-the-meeting-room-table sense, but in the way they were both certifiable losers, who were just so cocksure about themselves that they would go around giving "entrepreneur advise" in the most arrogant and self-aggrandizing way.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Alright, can someone explain what the Pied Piper box actually is? I'm pretty confused about what the actual purpose of that would be.

It's the new Ouya

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VagueRant posted:

It's a rackmount-sized thumb drive that uses the algorithm to cram as much data into it as possible. It's a backup box.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
In and of itself, it's not a bad idea either - set up some mass production deals for decent hardware costs, make it the only enterprise-scale backup option using PP's algorithm and quietly sell it. But the marketing pitch is the exact opposite of how to go about monetizing that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zero One posted:

Wasn't that Google's first idea to make money? A box you plugged into a rack to get Google search in enterprise?

They sold Google Search Appliances once they had traction on the web and legitimacy for their search results to start expanding into new areas.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The real idiocy was actually explained super well - it's incredibly difficult to start at enterprise and move out to consumer. Enterprises are immediately going to push you in a direction that is CRAZY far away from what you would probably want to do if you were a consumer app, and in all likelihood make it complex and unintuitive. The features that they killed in order to sell to enterprise are exactly the sorts of things that get kiboshed when you start chasing big contracts, and suddenly have to deal with crazy labyrinthe non-sensical security requirements that differ from customer to customer, inability to leverage the data your app works with, intense suspicion of anyone who sells any version of their product for less than $1,500 a month, etc.

Plus you're swimming with sharks in that world, and being able to compress a little better is an afterthought feature compared to all the certifications, audits, case studies and consultants the big guys are going to throw at customers.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 4, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

I think it compresses all a firm's data so that the firm doesn't have to rely on cloud storage outside of their servers and thus doesn't have to worry about their cloud-storage firm's security.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I think it compresses all a firm's data so that the firm doesn't have to rely on cloud storage outside of their servers and thus doesn't have to worry about their cloud-storage firm's security.
Lol they are probably going to be targeted by state sponsored hackers.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Wouldn't that serve no actual purpose beyond saving space?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

"The HBO show’s May 1 episode featured two stallions going at it, and the animal rights organization was not amused". Yeah, typical PETA style homophobia.

lol

quote:

In the scene, Richard (Thomas Middleditch) goes to the stables to find Pied Piper’s newly-appointed CEO Jack Barker (Stephen Tobolowsky). Jack is there watching a stallion graphically mounting a mare.

“This kind of arranged rape is what has been happening since February with last year’s Triple Crown winner American Pharaoh’s first stud season,” Lange added. “He will ‘cover’ (mount) 175 mares in a few short months by being teased, ‘fluffed,’ (his penis often having to be guided into the mare), and at just four years old he is not even fully physically mature.”

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
We should all have it as good as those loving horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Xoidanor posted:

Wouldn't that serve no actual purpose beyond saving space?

Pied piper is a loving compression algorithm, saving space (and bandwidth) is what it was designed to do.

• Locked thread