Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Their bios all mention playing Lacrosse, Squash or Rowing Crew. Jan 'The Man' did all three plus Field Hockey.

I did like how the whole new staff are east coast transplants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just love the way Stephen Tobolowsky says "What?! No! God no!!" to Richard

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I just love the way Stephen Tobolowsky says "What?! No! God no!!" to Richard
I love that the way you typed that made me perfectly recall his delivery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The best part about that scene is the way the music swelled to lead the audience in that direction too and then suddenly quit.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Remember Sammy

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

The commercial with "foreigners" and Dinesh's picture had me laughing for a solid minute. The look Richard and Jared give other was a nice addition.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

loving Richard.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't know how I feel about them building up what looked to be the driving plot of the rest of the season only to have it be undone in the final moments because of Richard's stupidity. Brilliant? Frustrating? Yes? Some great moments but not my favorite episode. For some reason the best joke for me was "That's the movie with Julia Roberts and twelve men"

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Jared going absolutely overboard with his burn was amazing.

Really thought the programmer girl who extorted them was going to gently caress them anyway.

Personally I think the show excels when it lambasts SV culture, and the actual plot is pretty thin so this episode didn't really work for me.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Tree Dude posted:

I don't know how I feel about them building up what looked to be the driving plot of the rest of the season only to have it be undone in the final moments because of Richard's stupidity. Brilliant? Frustrating? Yes? Some great moments but not my favorite episode. For some reason the best joke for me was "That's the movie with Julia Roberts and twelve men"

Yeah I kind of liked the idea of them going around the back of the CEO, then its gone.

Sneak peak looks like Richard is going to try and force the Barker into doing the original idea.

For Richard to become a better character, I think this season needs to have Richard crush Jack Barker by the end of it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There certainly wasn't anything in this episode as memorable as two horses loving, but I laughed more than I should have at the constant riffing on Dinesh's chain. The plot was very Office Space-esque, which I kinda liked. Also, the fast-motion montage where Erlich was smoking weed, sleeping, and snapping at Jin Yang was a nice touch.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 9, 2016

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I just realized that the server space guy at the beginning of the episode is the same actor behind this series.

He and Mike Judge appeared in a separate web series together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4PIbu6Ozro

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Huh, looking up the Meinertzhagen's Haversack. The historical ploy was letting a haversack with false plans fall into enemy hands. I wonder if the dropped papers was a trick or if they genuinely hosed up.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Music is on point with the fake out ending Rick Ross song. Then Bell Biv DeVoe!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I've been to a data center before but are there ones as big as in the show? Or was that more then likely a majority of CGI?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
We'll have to wait and see if they sacrificed a great plot idea for it, but in the short term that ending was an incredible gag.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

both of Jared's chain jokes killed it with the group I was watching with. The last one before Richard trips had several people on the floor dying with laughter. I'm loving this new, more confident Jared. This guy fucks!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

We'll have to wait and see if they sacrificed a great plot idea for it, but in the short term that ending was an incredible gag.

I'm thinking that it was some sort of fakeout (not necessarily on their part but the show itself)

Deadulus posted:

Huh, looking up the Meinertzhagen's Haversack. The historical ploy was letting a haversack with false plans fall into enemy hands. I wonder if the dropped papers was a trick or if they genuinely hosed up.

Hm, Interesting.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I was really surprised they revealed the ex-hooli engineers' middle-out discovery to the PP crew so early.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

I've been to a data center before but are there ones as big as in the show? Or was that more then likely a majority of CGI?

Yes there are, but those shots were CGI.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

I'm thinking that it was some sort of fakeout (not necessarily on their part but the show itself)

That was my guess as well.

I was actually expecting the fakeout to be that they roll into the office with their masterful scheme in hand and Jack immediately tells them that he's independently had a change of heart- maybe because he got wind of the competing platform.

It was kind of odd that the clueless sales guy took one glance at a page that said "skunkworks" and immediately comprehended the power struggle between Jack and Richard and the conspiracy afoot.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 9, 2016

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That last joke Jared told before richard tripped had me in loving stitches. It was so abrupt and hilarious coming from him

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

buddhanc posted:

That last joke Jared told before richard tripped had me in loving stitches. It was so abrupt and hilarious coming from him

Haha it was so unnecessarily brutal. Richard's reaction was right on point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Avasculous posted:

It was kind of odd that the clueless sales guy took one glance at a page that said "skunkworks" and immediately comprehended the power struggle between Jack and Richard and the conspiracy afoot.

Yeah it was overshadowed by the gag, but that seemed really outlandish.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
did i hear a Omar/Wire reference there or what

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Chinatown posted:

did i hear a Omar/Wire reference there or what

It makes sense that Action Jack would watch the quality programming on HBO

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Cypress Halal had me going pretty good. Gabe rules.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've got to admit, this was the most I've liked Tobo/Barker thus far. He dropped the veil in this episode and actually became a legitimate villain, not someone ~wacky~ like Gavin Belson.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've got to admit, this was the most I've liked Tobo/Barker thus far. He dropped the veil in this episode and actually became a legitimate villain, not someone ~wacky~ like Gavin Belson.
Gavin is an all ego driven "i am changing the world" type, with just enough business sense (and chance) to keep his position, Barker is all about making money for the share holders and don't give a poo poo about ambitious technological projects (like Hooli's last phone), they are the yin and the yang of the tech industry. And yeah, Barker actually makes more sense and is a far more dangerous enemy.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 9, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I think what this sets up is that the whole company is pointless without its engineers. Richard, Gilfoyle, and Dinesh are the only three people not employed by Endframe who have any sort of comprehension of how the technology works. If Jack fires them, or pushes them to quit, he basically has a sales staff and an IP that nobody actually understands how to use.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Curious as to why Gilfoyle doesn't just go back to quitting.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pope Guilty posted:

I think what this sets up is that the whole company is pointless without its engineers. Richard, Gilfoyle, and Dinesh are the only three people not employed by Endframe who have any sort of comprehension of how the technology works. If Jack fires them, or pushes them to quit, he basically has a sales staff and an IP that nobody actually understands how to use.

Yeah I thought the message was pretty clear in that regard, Engineering drives innovation, engineering is the product, Judge is taking a swipe at corporate culture and at the misguided belief that good marketing and sales is all that a company needs to be successful; the contrast between those who actually care and have something to contribute to the rest of humanity vs. those who don't care about anything other than making money and increasing the value of the shares was made very stark in the past two episodes.

The first season dealt with the difficulties involved in making a name for yourself in an already saturated market and with how even an exceptional genius like Richard could struggle in today's world, the second season mostly dealt with sabotage from outside sources and it seems like the current one deals with how the drive for growth and profit could stifle innovation and how sales oriented CEOs could miss the point entirely and turn a revolutionary product into a glorified door stopper.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 9, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

DialTheDude posted:

I just realized that the server space guy at the beginning of the episode is the same actor behind this series.

He and Mike Judge appeared in a separate web series together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4PIbu6Ozro

Oh man thanks for this, I knew he was familiar!

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

It might've been the hardest I've laughed all year

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Barker using Omar's "Come at the king you best not miss." line in the most lame way possible was great.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You know it's a phrase that didn't originate with Omar, right...?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Deadulus posted:

This and the reference to Ocean's Eleven made me think that 'getting caught' might be part of the plan somehow. Then again, Judge setting up fans to anticipate an Office Space type scheme and then just ripping the rug out from under us seems just as likely.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

buddhanc posted:

This, jesus christ. Jared is awesome.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

buddhanc posted:

It's like watching a guy who has had a collar on his whole life that shocks him whenever he says anything negative suddenly get the collar off, and then he decides it's high time he tried out some of these "insult" things he's heard so much about. So he studies for a couple of weeks, sees his opportunity, and goes for it. The levels of clever and mean are all over the place, and naturally he crosses a line, the existence of which he remains blissfully unaware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

tarlibone posted:

It's like watching a guy who has had a collar on his whole life that shocks him whenever he says anything negative suddenly get the collar off, and then he decides it's high time he tried out some of these "insult" things he's heard so much about. So he studies for a couple of weeks, sees his opportunity, and goes for it. The levels of clever and mean are all over the place, and naturally he crosses a line, the existence of which he remains blissfully unaware.

It reminds me a lot of the new kids who joined the navy that were obviously sheltered up to that point in life. Suddenly they're around some of the most foul-mouthed people in the world. They were always the ones to cross the line, and it was always hilarious.

• Locked thread