Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

stanford's tech transfer office is going to retain rights to seefood and give a huge chunk to bighead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

It's almost required to have a broken brain to make good art. I'm not sure whether this is still true, but Mike Judge is a friend of Alex Jones and presumably listens to his show. He did record himself doing the voices of Hank Hill, Beavis, and Butthead boosting the show.

the best comedians are horribly brokebrained people who laugh at the folly of life. See lady dynamite et al

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Kimmy Schmidt's new season had this problem where it looked like they were writing around guest stars jumping in and out abruptly and it's annoying but tolerable imo.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, there were a couple funny moments but this one really rubbed me the wrong way. Gilfoyle smacking Dinesh from behind in particular - it felt like their relationship was openly hostile at that point. Maybe it's just me but flat out hitting someone crosses a line. I hope they reel that back in, those two work better when they're just loving with each other.

Erlich smacked a kid and shook him down for pills in the first season my dude

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

What's with the weird reactions to Dinesh getting slapped. He clearly stepped over a personal line where it was no longer playful bickering.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I love articles that don't even try to get comments from the writers or actors. Here's a quote from Jimmy Yang about how his character is an expression of his experience as an East Asian immigrant to America:
"I asked Jimmy O. Yang whether he had qualms about playing a character who speaks broken English in Silicon Valley. "I did have an accent," he said. "I moved here when I was 13, and I went to school with guys like that, I was a guy like that. Jian Yang was me ten years ago. Real people have accents. I don't judge them. I just try to play the role as realistically and truthfully as possible.""

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Well there's no specific response because the author posted a hot take masquerading as journalism

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rexides posted:

The article was not about whether the actor of Jian Yang was ok with the show's portrayal of his character.

If that article can blithely cherrypick supporting facts, I can too except I'm a random internet rear end in a top hat and not trying to pass off my dumb posts on a legit news site

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Snak posted:

That's correct, but the actor has as valid of an opinion as anyone as to why the character isn't necissarily a racist stereotype.

Lol "as valid". Pretty sure people who actually work on a piece of art have a better viewpoint than a career critic

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i am the bird posted:

It's a fair critique of the show and the broader issue of packing racist punchlines into the mouths of heinous characters, which still allows for everyone to laugh at racism (but then say "it's ironic" or "yeah but you're not supposed to like that guy!").

The author is also not saying that any of these characters represent their entire race/ethnicity. Their question is why the show ended up neatly placing Asian and Asian American characters into stereotypes. The author even says that they don't believe the showrunners are intentionally doing it.

I wish the author had brought up Ed Chen or Denpok, though. Denpok is particularly interesting because he's milking the racist ideas of his peers and Gavin in order to carve out a pretty good life for himself. And Ed Chen may be a cutthroat Silicon bro, but he's clearly smart.

We have no idea because the piece was farted out on ten minutes with no editorial review and no request for comment from the actors, writers, producers, nor showrunners. Also like you pointed out, she ignores anything that doesn't support her hot take

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

All plots are contrived

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Pakistan and India are both part of the Indian sub-continent if I remember correctly.

Irish people live on the British Isles; God help you if you call an Irishman "British" tho

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Plenty of really good actors take animation VO gigs because they're soooooooooo easy. "Doogal" didn't really sink Judy Dench's career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I've been listening to it a lot and it has my favorite artist names ever: 07 Pregnant Boy - Fun House feat. OG Swaggerdick & Grip Plyaz

• Locked thread