Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Big Head, despite his lack of screen time for much of the show, is still one of my favorite things about it. As people mentioned above, the successful do-nothing character isn't new in comedy, but there's still something hilarious about seeing such a character climb in silicon valley's bullshit hype culture in particular. Yesterday's episode where he finds the dumbest reason to "have to think about this" continues this. I want to see where he goes.

But yeah the whole show is great.

Edit: looks like they updated the website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm glad the show is showing Airbnb being poo poo.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like the constant making GBS threads on business school.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Holy poo poo was that perfect. Oceans 11 except he trips lol
Starring Julia Roberts and eleven men.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The evidence for "it was a trick" is solid and sound, but I would really love it to be the case that an entire heist arc was set up for much of one episode and was immediately tossed aside in one gently caress up to screw with our expectations.

I'm rooting for the PP crew, but this show is just more resonating and poignant when the stone of Sisyphus keeps hammering back down on them.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 10, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's amazing how quickly the show subverts my expectations. I really thought the crew would grow attached to the box and that Jack and Richard's new friendship would last at least until the next episode... but nope.

Having no boss at PP does open up new story and comedy possibilities, but the show is very eager to not settle for any status quo anymore, so I'm guessing they'll have a new CEO sooner than later.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/kumailn/status/730077896400842752
Also, it's needless to say, but the site's already been updated. No more Jack, but Dang's there now.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The fish tank was also left in the office. Not sure if there were other fish besides the one that was dead and removed.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Gavin pretty much saved Monica's rear end in addition to the Pied Piper crew at the right moment.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was dreading Richard falling off the chair and breaking his leg or something. I'm glad we didn't get some last minute setback for once.

I'm wondering what the long term plans for the show are. Will PP keep stumbling into existential threats and keep finding an excuse to move back in to Erlich's house? Not that I really mind, but it was visually nice to see the crew in a new place. Well, as long as the show keeps entertaining me, it doesn't really matter.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 18, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm a nerd.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm fine that they didn't keep the salespeople or the box longer than four episodes; no need to pad out a story arc if they don't need to. Sales regularly shows up in any business so they'll be plenty of chances to lampoon them again.

We still have the story of PP and Hooli on a collision course. And outsourced programmers does seem like an interesting comedy promise. As long as I'm entertained and there's still teeth in their satire; I'm good.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Zach Woods' character on The Office wasn't that popular, but I thought he was funny in that show too. I was a bit disappointed they couldn't contrive a reason for him to appear in the series finale.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
gently caress the Richard haters, his sissyfit was hilarious.

Also, Zach Woods and Martin Starr keep being the best things about this show.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So how long until we get a character or storyline based on Elizabeth Holmes?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Looked like we were supposed to believe that Erlich felt guilty for helping ruin Big Head's fortune. Looks like the show is setting up a redemption arc for Erlich, but as always this show has been subverting expectations.

Edit: How long until those two Nucleus guys end up back at Hooli again?

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 6, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I kind of "get" snapchat. Its original gimmick was that the messages aren't saved; but now that it saturated the market, its continuing value has more to do with its face filters and people/organizations building their brand by "broadcasting" their daily or live messages.

I was skeptical of snapchat like everyone else. Then again, I thought Twitter was dumb. (I still think it's dumb but for totally different reasons now.)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There just needs to be more scenes of Zach Woods and Martin Starr with no one else.

I'm glad that Richard storming into the focus group wasn't just an opportunity for cringe humor, but actually did show that ordinary users could "get" the platform.

I read the Bernice thing as a red herring. We were led to believe they'll hire her as a spokesperson for the platform; only to reveal Jared hired a clickfarm.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And many users don't want to deal with any technology that sounds like a cloud.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's kind of a reset button, but I'll take the happy ending. :unsmith:

Edit: Big Head is back on the website. :)

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 27, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked Laurie too, if that means anything. I hope Raviga pops up again next season.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"Facebook wants Snapchat. Snapchat won't sell. Facebook's Snapchat clone app doesn't take off. But Facebook then adds a Snapchat clone as a new feature of Instagram."

I already seen so many personalities who use both Instragram and Snapchat admit they'll just migrate entirely to IG despite it being an obvious and cynical SC clone now because it's easier.

The tech industry doesn't even hide how predictable it is.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I never heard of this. Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

Wikipedia posted:

Curtis Guy Yarvin (born 1973), also known by his pen name Mencius Moldbug, is an American computer scientist, political theorist, and neoreactionary thinker.[1] His writings have played a foundational role in the formation of the neoreactionary movement.[5] He is the creator of the Urbit computing platform,[6][7] through his startup company Tlon (backed by Peter Thiel[8]), and the author of the blog Unqualified Reservations.

Yarvn's opinions have been described as racist, with his writings interpreted as supportive of slavery, including the belief that whites have higher IQs than blacks for genetic reasons. Yarvin himself maintains that he is not a racist because, while he doubts that "all races are equally smart," the notion "that people who score higher on IQ tests are in some sense superior human beings" is "creepy". He also disputes that he agrees with the institution of slavery[6][16] but has argued that some races are more suited to slavery than others.[17]
Sounds like a really nice guy!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
http://www.piedpiper.com/
Updated. Nothing too different.

Episode was good.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Pipey add-on for Chrome

Edit: Custom tips for websites including Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, LinkedIn, .edu sites, .org sites, Amazon, Imgur, YouTube, Hooli, Wikipedia.org, Wired, Dropbox, Google, Twitter, NASA, Weather.com, Rotten Tomatoes, TVguide.com, Gizmodo

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 26, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Beating the dead horse by pointing out that Hooli only owns the chat, not the algorithm.

The legal basis of the IP infringement was the claim Piperchat "stole" the main parts of Hoolichat. Gavin didn't specifically demand the algorithm. It's been over two weeks in-universe and the terms of Richard leaving the company might have already been made public.

Also, this whole show owns.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 2, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
hooli.com has got the full Jack Barker treatment.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
A few people here hoped Gilfoyle would get knocked off his high horse like Dinesh; so I liked the little deconstruction of his character by Jared.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Laurie expressing emotion is scary.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I initially took issue with Jin Yang before they fleshed out his relationship with Erlich and then gave him a fuckton of funny moments that definitely were not at Jin Yang's expense.

I understand the initial annoyance. I don't blame normal people for taking issue with it.

Let's chill out with the outrage over supposed outrage.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 30, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I didn't know that article existed, but it's a wonderful validation of what I've been seeing. I am pretty much ready to burn the internet down at this point. Cheesy Wonder Woman pun on my facebook feed? Decried for being anti-woman. Someone said "Happy Memorial Day" to you? Here's an article they should read. Share a post about a good dad? Someone will say it shouldn't be remarkable when someone is a good dad. It turns out Kate Upton is attractive? This is body shaming someone I've never heard of. All day, every day.
huh?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I love this show and don't want to see the cause of evangelizing how great this comedy is get contorted by so-called free speech warriors as a way to bash essjaydoubleyous or whatever.

When I criticize a movie and tv show, I have to play these weird exercises with my semantics to make it entirely clear what I am and am not criticizing, and to make it abundantly clear that the criticisms are coming from an honest place, and are not some cynical, procedural complaints for clickbait or whatever. It's usually quite clear when a counter-criticism is not so much about an argument's flaws, but annoyance that a discussion is happening at all.

Whether or not the writer was motivated by page views, I can assure you there are probably hundreds or thousands of more people who feel the same way. Be very careful how you dismiss these criticisms.

Jin Yang and Dinesh are fully realized comedic characters. With Dinesh, it's not so often that a Pakistani guy gets to be an rear end in a top hat on TV that's our rear end in a top hat, which is part of the reason why I like him as a character so much.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Bobby Digital posted:

He was good in Alpha House.
I have five episodes left in that show. Not sure if I want it to be over. :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I want Jin Yang to win.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

priznat posted:

Gilfoyle was under used for a bit there but has found new life messing with Jian Yang.
Jian Yang should win.

Jared flat out explaining Gilfoyle's motivations to Richard only made me realize I want to see Gilfoyle knocked off his high horse more.

Like, have him realize he's just like Dinesh.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Gabe ruled in The Office. I liked the whole "what if Smithers sucked at his job?" thing they had going for him.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So we're getting another heist by the PP crew under Jack Barker's nose?

Worked well last time.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
No Colin Powell cameo?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked the season.

Sure, they hit the reset button a few times, but I was entertained. :shrug:

Can't wait to see Gavin realize the guru guy lied to him and screwed him over and that all his advice was spiritual bullshit.

And I'm curious what the property laws are if a house's owner is MIA overseas. How long until Erlich is presumed dead and the place is in limbo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't get why this thread is still obsessed with straw men haters of this show.

• Locked thread