Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Erlich explaining 'forking' to Jared had me in tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

While I can agree that Richard gets a bit whiney sometimes, his reaction is exactly on point in this episode.

I mean, his baby is being taken away from him. Yes, it's better for the overall health and success of the company, but he was voted out as CEO of his own company just when it was getting successful. It's a completely human reaction to have.

The whole episode was about everyone's journey to figure out their proper place.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

There's a huge difference between being fired from his own company and being given a different C-level title at his own company, though.

Of course there is.

It's still a huge deal though. The company is no longer his from his perspective. In reality, it wasn't his anyways since he was building it with someone else's money. That's the bit he had to come to terms with.

He created something big and then was told by everyone he trusted that he wasn't worthy to helm that creation anymore. That's a gigantic blow to the ego and it surprises the hell out of me that so many people here think it's just whining. I would think most people would have experienced something similar at some point in their life and could relate (just not with the same stakes.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The best part about that scene is the way the music swelled to lead the audience in that direction too and then suddenly quit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bighead will fail upwards somehow from this slip up. Literally nothing bad can happen to Bighead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Richard has to be CEO for awhile, they don't have the money to hire anyone else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I'm working through some late show back log and Zach Woods was on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWtxeyCATxY

Wow, he's pretty drat close to Jared in real life. It's hilarious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On Thursday, we were discussing various compliance strategies with client requests and security testing plans.

At the end, one of my coworkers (who has never seen the show) announced in exasperation that we might as well just "Put the drat platform on an appliance and stick it at a client's site, then we wouldn't even have to worry about their data."

I have never achieved such a perfect symmetry of art imitating life.

It be clear, he wasn't serious on the strategy, but I could totally see others in the org saying "Huh, that may not be a bad idea."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a support nightmare. It's basically a completely different dev cycle. As a SaaS company, we incrementally push code every two weeks. No major releases, just a continued evolving of the platform.

You sort of lose that control when in install on-site. If everyone isn't updated at once, then you have to start maintaining many more code branches for support.

Not to mention that a good portion of our business is analysis of data for trends and we sort of lose that if we can't access it.

That's even beyond spinning up a whole new segment of business specifically to deal with hardware. That spirals into on site tech visits, warranty claims, etc.

It's basically reorienting your entire business model

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Grump posted:

Graduating tomorrow and looking for an appropriate SV quote to decorate my cap with.

"This guy fucks!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

El Pato posted:

I like how you can uncheck "middle out compression". Wouldn´t that be just a regular compression?

It's radio button, not a checkbox. Typically you always need to select one radio button in a list and it's a list of one.

So, essentially, you can't deselect "middle out compression" and the setting is useless. But it's a completely engineer way to design an interface "No, there aren't other options for compression, but it's a setting in the engine so it must be represented on the settings page!"

That's one of the subtle things I love about that screenshot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Binary Logic posted:

But if she valued Erlich's shares so low doesn't that pull all the shares down? She's now set a price for PP far below what it was. That is, if Erlich's 10% was valued at $713,000, then Laurie Bream of Raviga Capital has determined that 100% of the company's shares is only worth $7,130,000.

So while Bachman is taking all the hits for selling off his shares, to me it seems that Laurie has screwed over everyone, because now it is known that she has the ultimate power to allow trading and to set the price, which she'll only do for her own advantage.

Pied Piper hasn't had an IPO. The shares aren't publicly traded.

Which, if you think about it, is a logical place for them to go in a future season. It's rife with comedy to be mined.

Richard's neurosis while watching the stock bounce around with every decision he makes.
Erlich having to play by different PR rules.
Gilfoyle having to accept becoming a cog in the capitalist machine again.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 15, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Avasculous posted:

But he's right, if Laurie only bought Ehrlich's shares and didn't touch his board seat, then how could Richard take it away from him?

Because he assumed (likely correctly) that Reviga would back a play to remove him from the board since Laurie detests him.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I loved how quickly Erlich forgave Richard. I ALMOST believed the seriousness of his claims.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mortanis posted:

Loved the finale, but I feel kinda weird that overall Pied Piper is in a good spot and no real poo poo is bearing down on them at the moment. Maybe it means they can break the mold and go a different direction with things now instead of another season of the "fail, slight recovery, tangent success, fail...." thing they've done.

They are still broke. Erlich and Big Head spent their whole wad on getting Pied Piper from Gavin and now they have no VC funding and no VC is likely going to touch them after the click fraud.

I expect the next season will be about them trying to license the tech out to streaming services, using the video chat as the proof that it works. That would get cash following without needing VC support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I still wouldn't really call this a reset. Up until this point, VCs have been a huge influence on the plot and that has ended. They completely and utterly poisoned the VC well with the clickfarm stunt. They are alone really for the first time. They are also completely broke. The are going to be struggling to keep those AWS instances running to keep the video chat going.

I mean, up until this point the plan was the ride VC funding until they had a viable product to sell. They can't do that anymore, there is no funding and there won't be any. So, not only did they pivot to video chat, they are going to have to figure out a way to monetize it quickly that doesn't involve investment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Monica is really the perfect person to close deals to license Pied Piper. Erlich is the hype man to get people interested, Monica closes the deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

Erlich said they got two million for the blog and he and Bighead both get 500k.

Correct, bachmanity is $1 in the red right now.

They are completely broke. They have zero operating capital.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind that Russ drew up all the rules as it relates to the board so anything that seems off, we can just attribute it to him being lovely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well there ain't no board anymore. Unless Erlich and Big Head want one I guess.

Now there isn't, no. But there was at the time of the sale.

We can only assume that Russ structured it in a way that liquidates all shares in the event of a full company sale.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Renewed for a 5th season!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

38 is still short sleeves and light jacket weather.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whether or not their app caused the phones to explode, the reality is that they already transferred the data from Azure.

Transfer data to phone network, phone network undergoes mass bricking, insurance data lost.

Richard just killed that insurance company and hosed that guy harder than Erlich hosed his wife.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That would be a ridiculously stupid plot device as you know, there's no compelling reason to delete the data in real-time while they're still in the expo

Yes, there was, it was costing them a fortune. They had to get it completely off the servers ASAP.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to go with all the phones were connected to Hooli wifi and they had a massive computer stilling on the LAN to do the heavy lifting. The Hooli VR app was nothing more than a steamed experience for the crowd and wasn't scalable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not bothered by Pied Piper being 'underdogs' because that doesn't seem to be the point of the show to me.

People don't turn into Gavin because they've made the right moves and built a successful and ethical company. People turn into Gavin for the same reason Richard is turning into Gavin, repeated failures that drive you to compromise and compartmentalize behavior to achieve an end. Even the petty poo poo is the same. How much has Gavin been hosed by posturing and and one upmanship at this point?

It's all part of the commentary on the industry. It's driven by brilliant people, but many times those at the top are damaged in some way.

It's not like things haven't changed, they've been escalating. It started with a violation of an admittedly bullshit employment contract and we've gotten to to a felony cybercrime.

• Locked thread