Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Krowley posted:

It probably tastes like poo poo
It's pretty good. I waited in line for it once (because that's the only way to get it generally) and it was fine. Not worth waiting in line for again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Zachack posted:

What's the definition of rare beer here?

If you waited in line for it you either went on a bizarrely crowded day and didn't just go into the purchase room or you actually waited for Pliny the Younger, which is the very limited release beer available usually in mid-February. If you live in the bay area getting Elder isn't hard, just drive up to Santa Rosa and blow a weekend doing beer/wine tasting, acting like an rear end in a top hat optional.

I mean, years back I sent out some bottles of Elder and Blind Pig to other goons in Beer Exchange but should I do that again and boost the trade value?
Yeah I always mix them up, it was the Younger we waited in line for of course. The Elder is on tap often in my area so I forget that it's not common elsewhere.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Avasculous posted:

This is a huge frustration for me in Biotech. There's a host of powerful, open-source tools that do everything imaginable with sequencing data if you can spend 20 minutes picking up basic Unix commands.

Yet somehow almost every lab in my department is paying $2-5000/per license annual for a commercial program with: less transparency, way less functionality, proprietary file type bullshit, and a GUI.
Hrmmm perhaps an easy to use GUI is valuable

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Do those kind of applications ever have an easy to use GUI?
Any GUI is easier to use than Unix command line for the vast majority of people, even in STEM fields.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Erlich's shares weren't tied to the board seat. She bought the shares because she had the leverage to get an obscene deal on them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

seaborgium posted:

To be fair the video chat is apparently working really well, the only concern is server space. There's got to be someone willing to license it that would pony up the cash up front to cover server space.
They could also fire up Gilfoyle's rig again in the short term.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I hope that Richard leaving is a real change and let's the show give at least part of the gang some sustained success for once instead of yanking the rug out from under them as soon as things start to look up

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I love how they strike just the perfect balance of Russ being a lunatic, but also a "knows what he's talking about" kind of guy.
He was right about Jared

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

nopants posted:

Dinesh as CEO is the greatest thing ever.
It was excellent. This show gets you rooting for Dinesh and then once he gets a taste of success, he makes you turn on him almost instantly.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I guess the next problem is going to be another slap fight about who owns Pied Piper IP. Hooli might be able to shelter and pay the fine if they realize they now own the PP compression algorithm, Jack comes up with the same/similar new internet plan, and they try to fight in court that Richard came up with the idea on now Hooli property and need to forfeit everything.

Just a guess but from the end of that last episode it seems likely.
Piper Chat never owned the compression algorithm so Hooli doesn't own it now. They own the right to use it for video chat and nothing else. This was pretty clearly stated in the first episode when the split happened.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the escape goat posted:

fried on mushrooms and the bike was populated with screaming juggalos in full paint.
that sounds horrifying, congrats on your survival

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Calling it now: Laurie's baby is Erlich's.
There is less than zero chance Erlich would be able to avoid bragging about this though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

We live in a world where Rick and Morty exists so King of the Hill can't be the best animated show ever

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I realize this is a goofy comedy show but that still seems like a kinda massive spoiler no?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

One of my favorite moments of the last episode wasn't even a joke.

"Four days ago I spent 2 billion dollars on a piece of poo poo VR gadget that's never gonna work."

I loved that reveal. Took less than four days to realize what a colossal mistake the acquisition had been and he knows he's stuck with this thing now.
I got the impression he didn't care that it was a bust. The whole point was to have something to make a splash at Hooli-con since his big box reveal wasn't going to be ready in time. He bought the VR play just to keep up appearances at Hooli-con, not because he thought it would be any good long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah this seems like the most important quote from that piece

“It’s more important to be polarizing than neutralizing,” he added. “That’s my position. … People need a villain, and I’m occupying that space.”

• Locked thread