Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Golden Bee posted:

Mary Sues aren't powerless.

She's more of an Expository Eileen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hooli is a representative of the companies that exist to make the world a better place.

AFewBricksShy posted:

There's no way. Now they have a combined wealth of Twenty Million and Thirty Six thousand dollars.

Yeah, Big Head received $20 million, bought a house for $X million, and still has $20 million.

I really don't understand this sort of SV middle-out finance. Also, from the website:

quote:

A Middle-Out Compression Solution
Making Data Storage Problems Smaller

That's such a terrible tag line for a company. 'We won't solve your problems but might make some of them smaller' :gerty:

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 18, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

wide stance posted:

Jared still has the best jokes and Laurie is still a comedy black hole. Holy poo poo she's bad
I dunno, her attempt at casual conversation with Monica was pretty funny. And plotwise, having a logical character to balance out Richard's infuriating stupidity this episode made her seem very likeable.
Laurie needed a drink or two before she could admit to making a mistake, so at least some humanity peeked out from her otherwise robotic mannerisms.

Not a great episode and it seems like a reset. Season 3 and they still have no product, no sales, no sales staff, no offices, no revenue...no progress.
And now a clueless, socially awkward CEO prone to emotional outbursts and making irrational decisions.

But they do have a nice juicer in the kitchen.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

And they're now valued at 250 million dollars.

Yes, as Richard now the CEO says, "We're a $250 million company...that's dead-rear end broke"

Solice Kirsk posted:

So by the end of the season Richard won't be CEO anymore, correct?
The way this show rolls. could be by the end of the next episode.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Characters can have flaws but they should be consistent.

RIGBY we see 2 or 3 examples of Richard being unable to speak a coherent sentence when he is stressed.
Then he enters the conference room and launches into a well spoken 1000 word 'Here's what I'm not allowed to say to the reporter' monologue without a problem.

Then he is made CEO and goes back to being awkward and unable to speak intelligibly - to a few employees he can only see on computer monitors.

and then there's the matter of the PR rep who was going to coach Richard, and the reporter...both being booked into different conference rooms at the same time?! Huh. Wouldn't you schedule the PR rep for the morning and the interview for the afternoon, or at least book the PR for an hour or two prior to the reporter showing up. Kinda clunky writing.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 24, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I don't know if anyone here wants to read a critical review of this farcical show but The AV Club makes a few good points in their episode review, eg:

quote:

Clearly the writers want Richard and company to still be in the position of the underdog because that’s the heroic place for them to be, fighting against the forces of entropy and idiocy that distinguish the successful. Much of the episode is an aggressive move to get us back to that position, and while it does that job in a way that makes sense it also does so with such speed it raises questions why a chunk of what happened to date in the season happened. And by dipping deeper into the cringe comedy pool than ever before, it also raises questions as to whether or not stepping back is the right decision for a Richard who still has a lot to learn.

Pied Piper’s return to their bare bones days is one that’s presented out of necessity, as their original cash influx from Raviga has been burned through thanks to office expenses and Jack’s severance package. Abandoning the box means that they don’t have a product ready for market to unlock the next stage of their funding, a move which illustrates that for all their gripes with him Jack knew what he was doing. Richard’s stratagem to deal with this makes sense on paper—downsize the staff to the core engineers until there’s something to market, save office space by relocating back to Erlich’s living room—but it also comes at cross-purposes to a lot of where this season has gone. As Erik Adams observed in his pre-air review, Silicon Valley is a show that needs to grow past its roots to truly satirize the industry, and going back to running the company from an overcrowded table feels like a retreat to the comfort zone.
and in conclusion

quote:

The episode ends with all the pieces put back to where they were before: Richard is once again CEO and Pied Piper is back to being run out of a living room. Sure there’s a fancy new chair for Richard to sit in and there’s a full team of engineers building their platform remotely, but all of it still feels like the same. Given that “the same” is still one of television’s best comedies that’s not a damning statement on make, but with how great season’ three’s been as Pied Piper moves into the big leagues “The Empty Chair” can’t help but come across as a disappointment.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 24, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ApathyGifted posted:

Richard is unable to speak coherent sentences when he's stressed until he reaches a breaking point, then he's on point. See: negotiating Jack out of firing them and getting to work on the platform last episode.

He's always been fairly consistent in that regard.
RIGBY that's even more stupid. He can't speak when he's stressed but then when stressed more he can speak again. Because reasons. Maybe there's Popeye Spinach in the fresh pressed juice Erlich gives him to drink.

Anyway, I thought it was great when the sales team that had lacrosse in their website bios were playing office lacrosse. And that Jared doesn't know his own birthday so it might as well be today :cry:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Enderzero posted:

It's not hard guys. The creators have said that as soon as Pied Piper wins the show will be boring because there's no conflict. They have to be perpetual underdogs or the magic is gone. This is how it has to be when you don't know how long the show will air - if they win too soon you'll have multiple seasons where they have nothing significant to do. The real problem is some sort you identify so strongly with the team that you want them to succeed so seeing these constant halting steps is going to drive you nuts. Just enjoy the comedy, the plot is absolutely secondary.

Oh come on the show's producers are saving the PP success story for the big budget movie that will come after the tv series run has ended.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

He wasn't stressed in that meeting though. He thought he was with a PR woman and that nothing he'd say to her would go on the record, so he had no reason to be nervous in front of her.

He seemed okay upon arrival but when the receptionist tried to tell him where the conference room is, he started blowing up and raising his voice, "I'm not a loving idiot".
Then he starts his conversation with (who he thinks is) the PR woman, "I'm not going to be yelling at you but probably am going to yell". He starts spewing and twitchy and escalates simply from speaking. Soon it's, "I probably can't say how loving pissed off I am about Laurie Bream..." to a complete stranger.

So if that's Richard not stressed or nervous, he should not be CEO of a tech company or for that matter a sidewalk lemonade stand.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 28, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The reveal that Russ was right totally makes this episode a 10/10. I will listen to no disagreement.

I retract any my criticisms from last week, this episode was perfection.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

Regardless of differences in opinion over code hygiene, you really think Richard's behavior toward Winnie was "justified"?

Richard's like a more neurotic Seinfeld, who would weekly break up with a new or potential girlfriend over some almost imperceptible or trivial character flaw.
She even seemed to be okay with his anal attitude right up until the time he walked out.

Inkspot posted:

Martin Starr is the MVP of this show. Let us all remember that he started here:

And, while we're at it, Winnie's name couldn't possibly be a nod to Winnie Cooper, could it? Or is that, like, too deep of a nerd reference for this show to make, even with Danica McKellar being a mathematician and all?

Yes certainly a tug at Gen X nostalgia.

Jared's a player and check out the 2 losers in the background. :boom:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"We've also read the financials, Gavin. Between Nucleus and N-Frame you've burned through three quarters of a billion dollars". I thought this show was over-the-top satire but then this morning read,

quote:

Microsoft Corp. snapped up LinkedIn Corp. for $26.2 billion in the largest acquisition in its history, betting the professional social network can rev up the tech titan's software offerings despite recent struggles by both companies.

The deal is Chief Executive Satya Nadella's latest effort to revitalize Microsoft, which was viewed not long ago as left behind by shifts in technology. Mr. Nadella hopes the deal will open new horizons for Microsoft's Office suite as well as LinkedIn, both of which have saturated their markets, and generally bolster Microsoft's revenue and competitive position.

$26.2 billion. With a b.
Who knew hope was so expensive!

Great episode.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Anyone know the type of glowy green keyboard Gilfoyle uses?

kiimo posted:

I never thought about it but if you didn't want Microsoft to have your information but you did want Linked In to have it I guess you're just screwed and don't have any other choice? Microsoft now has a huge database of people. Maybe that's what they want. There's definitely some angle they aren't morons.

Is this Silicon Valley or Person of Interest :slick:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
But if she valued Erlich's shares so low doesn't that pull all the shares down? She's now set a price for PP far below what it was. That is, if Erlich's 10% was valued at $713,000, then Laurie Bream of Raviga Capital has determined that 100% of the company's shares is only worth $7,130,000.

So while Bachman is taking all the hits for selling off his shares, to me it seems that Laurie has screwed over everyone, because now it is known that she has the ultimate power to allow trading and to set the price, which she'll only do for her own advantage.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 15, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

grahf987 posted:

I think its a clever turn around for T.J. Miller's character. He was just kind of stagnate in this season and this brings him back into the group. As befuddled as he is about actually working, PR is his thing, not that he is necessarily good at it. Now if they can find a way to bring Bighead in the group then I'm for it as well. He is the Homer Simpson of this show, it's impossible to hate him.

I hate Bighead. He's an idiot whose major achievement at tech corporation Hooli was a big potato gun...that he broke..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jroQCyWwEgE

He bought a big loving boat just because he thought it was cool. He overspent on a house with money he didn't earn. While Erlich did waste money on a party, Bighead wasted money to move an in-ground pool a few feet, and then move it back to where it had been in the first place.
He went along with Erlich's insane business ideas (and company name) because he's a weak-willed chump. If Erlich had not come along he still would have been broke within a year.
I can't even "BIGBY" because there's nothing "G" about him.

What I don't understand is why viewers like him at all.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 16, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I really liked that episode.

CubanMissile posted:

The problem goes way deeper than the UI. The problem is that users fundamentally don't understand what the product it, how it's supposed to work, and if it actually does what it says it does. At least on the show. In real life it's not really that different than cloud computing. People understand it, or don't but either think they do or don't care because it just works for them. Once most people see that all their files are accessible from all their devices they wouldn't really care how it works. I guess the characters are too engineer-y to just be like "Access your files from anywhere safely, and without taking up space on your devices!"

I don't know if any of that made sense, but I do know that people talk about how heartbreaking it is to watch GoT while I find this show ten times more gut wrenching. I just want things to work out and to see everyone get paid. :(

"Access your files without taking up space on your devices" isn't the problem. This is.

Let's Go!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

kdrudy posted:

Yes, when Pipey indicated they were "six clicks away" from uploading their file that still sounds like a UI problem.
Loved that.
How would someone use that UX on a smartphone? Yikes.

AgentF posted:

He asks if the numbers are legit and then his response to Jared is a little subdued. I think Gilfoyle understands that it's bullshit and then keeps it to himself while he thinks about it.
Yeah as a Satanist Gilfoyle must realize the overnight user numbers were rigged.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 21, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Looks like VR in the trailer

The VR is rad now.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That wallpaper

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Last week's obsession was on the Always Blue ball. But what is this?

Not, 'what is it?", but like, why is it? Who came up with it. What is the point or rationale. Do they ride it until they crash into something. Anyone here have personal experience riding the teamcycle or whatever it is called. What is it called.

Don't tell me to google it, don't want to use it for this.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 9, 2017

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Also great callback when they're in Gavin Belson's room, the car says "Select destination" to Jared and he shudders and runs away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UBdrMTxsvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Troy Queef posted:

take a look at the new Hooli website, which is going all-in with Action Jack's B2B Box: http://hooli.xyz

"Our products are products"

• Locked thread