Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pope Guilty posted:

I think what this sets up is that the whole company is pointless without its engineers. Richard, Gilfoyle, and Dinesh are the only three people not employed by Endframe who have any sort of comprehension of how the technology works. If Jack fires them, or pushes them to quit, he basically has a sales staff and an IP that nobody actually understands how to use.

Yeah I thought the message was pretty clear in that regard, Engineering drives innovation, engineering is the product, Judge is taking a swipe at corporate culture and at the misguided belief that good marketing and sales is all that a company needs to be successful; the contrast between those who actually care and have something to contribute to the rest of humanity vs. those who don't care about anything other than making money and increasing the value of the shares was made very stark in the past two episodes.

The first season dealt with the difficulties involved in making a name for yourself in an already saturated market and with how even an exceptional genius like Richard could struggle in today's world, the second season mostly dealt with sabotage from outside sources and it seems like the current one deals with how the drive for growth and profit could stifle innovation and how sales oriented CEOs could miss the point entirely and turn a revolutionary product into a glorified door stopper.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jack can't get rid of Richard though, Pied Pipers main asset is still Richard's reputation as an engineering genius, nobody would give a poo poo about the box it doesn't have the appearance of being his brain child.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bighead probably can't join pied piper without forfeiting his contract with Hooli.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GobiasIndustries posted:

It is, but it'd be very unnecessary until the company goes public or they take on another round of funding as right now the only investor is Raviga. I'd love to see Russ make a cameo somehow too, though.

Since they bought him out I think he'd be in the clear, really all he had was an NDA stating he couldn't talk about anything he did or disparage Hooli, so as long as Pied Piper doesn't build a potato cannon they're set.

I'm not sure i remember correctly but wasn't he specifically forbidden from doing anything compression\middle-out related?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Probably my least favorite episode of this show, the cringe factor was dialed to 11 and at moments it was just too much. Obviously a part of this show's conceit is that these people are socially awkward nerds who remain embarrassing even when at the cusp of success but this episode really didn't make you root for the protagonists at all.

Dinesh was pretty much just a punching bag this episode, making him a superficial douche in the first place and the punchline just being "ha ha he isn't attractive enough for her" was very meh. Richard's newfound personality quirk was also out of the left field, he was never established as being an obsessive compulsive guy and the whole thing felt like it was a Ross subplot from Friends.

It still had its moments and it wasn't all bad or anything.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

blunt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cstSnw0oGRA

Richard has always been the same person. I do think the show is losing a bit of steam though.

That's just him being socially awkward and somewhat autistic not him losing his mind over some OCD nonsense. He has many established flaws, digging his own grave further like he does in the scene you've linked is pretty much what defines him as a character, I don't think it's the same as what happened in this last episode. Imo.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pathos posted:

The absolute best thing about this episode is that it has caused people to argue about spaces/tabs and brace placement unironically while simultaneously arguing that the episode was stupid. Just A+ poo poo.

Yeah I thought it was incredibly petty and ridiculous and struggled believing that a guy like Richard would be as obsessive about this sort of poo poo as he was depicted but I guess it's an actual thing people murder each other over? who knew.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

MiddleOne posted:

If Whatsapp gets sold at 19 billion to a company that already has the exact same service then anything is possible.

There are many countries in the world where WhatsApp basically replaced all other text messaging services, they're paying for the client base.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The derails itt have gotten particularly spiteful recently.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Erlich screwed the company way too many times and while it's true that Richard was not being a good friend at first he was also right in being angry, ultimately keeping Erlich around but off the board and with a limited influence is the best choice.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

sticklefifer posted:

Maybe his downfall isn't complete yet. He still has an asston of money.

I know Hooli's supposed to be a loose Google analog, but I never got the sense in the show that Hooli was ever all that popular to the point where everyone used it and it was something everyone knew. Was there ever a time when it was mentioned as a top search engine or tech company?

I assumed that was more down to a stylistic choice, they didn't want to replace real companies and products with fake ones and yet they needed a big multifaceted software company that is kinda like Google.

There are sufficient mentions of hooli and their success that you're just kinda expected to accept them as a huge deal.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I dislike Erlich for him bankrupting Bighead, it was such a dick move it immediately turned my perception of Erlich from a big talking guy who is still a bro to this massive douche who'll ruin his friend's future just so he could momentarily feel like a big shot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sounds like something they should have used on the show.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was a decent season finale once you chose to actively ignore the fact that for the sake of ensuring Pied Piper's perpetual underdog status the show has sacrificed much of its authenticity.

The plot point of Richard being on the spectrum and failing to recognize the end-user oriented UI design is a thing and that no company would approach a beta release without UI designers on board was fine at first as it set up this last episode but Richard coming with some half assed explanation for why they're not able to simplify the UI (or at least offer a simple layout alongside the 'airplane' one) was silly, I expected a mad dash to the finish line not Richard and everyone else simply ignoring the existence of a straight forward solution.

The thing with the box also bothered me cause in the first place there was no compelling explanation as to why Pied Piper didn't sell the amazing box they produced initially, Jack's "algorithmic exclusivity for three times the price" clause could have been knocked out and they could have sold the box either way, this being used as a rescue line for Gavin instead (effectively undoing his entire arc this season) was kinda lame.

I still liked it cause this is all bullshit but I expected them to be clever, idk.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 20, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah, well. As long as the UI thing won't be a cliffhanger I guess I don't mind as much.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Avasculous posted:

Yeah, after they showed Pipey, I was expecting the twist/solution to be replacing it with her as a digital assistant.

Something that confused me about the tech was a few episodes ago, when Gavin was showing the beta to his engineers. He said that PP gets faster/better as you put more files on it, and this was referenced one or two other times as a benefit of the neural net they were adding.

I can see why having more users (devices rather) could make it better, but how would more files help?

I know it's a show etc, I'm just curious if there's some basis for that.

Machine learning, it finds similarities and patterns that allow it to compress files even further.

It's kinda sci-fi though in this context I reckon.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah so apparently the lovely UI did wind up killing a technology that was presented as a futuristic innovation up to that point?

Weak.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Anya posted:

I will have to admit that I didn't see the Erlich bitching out Richard, and then cutting straight to Always Blue so fast. That part killed me.

Yes that was fantastic, I really believed for a few seconds it was gonna be an actual plot point and a source of drama for the next season but nope, it's just Erlich being a drama queen and it rules.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Richard always owned the majority of the stock, it's still his company he just didn't control the board following the contract with Raviga.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

blunt posted:

Then why does he ask Erlich about getting his stock reinstated?

Raviga controlled the board 3 to 2 and used their majority to force a sale of the entire company, not just their stock. The wanted out because of the fraud and the only way to get any substantial money back is to sell the whole company, not just the Raviga shares. VCs pretty much always have a clause where their investment is repaid before any other shareholders see the proceeds of a sale. Now Erlich and big head each own 50%.

Capitalism is lovely.

I don't know and honestly have no clue how this poo poo works and how much power the board has but the whole thing in the first season irt to Peter Gregory and Raviga was that he invested 500k in the company for 5 or 10% of the shares at a 5 million or so valuation, I presume that a VC (being the guys who actually put the money in) can control the board and thus the company through contractual obligations but shouldn't Richard still be the majority shareholder?

I don't really remember how the whole Russ plot wound up tbh. I rewatched Season 1 a few months back but never got to rewatching season 2.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Nah it was based on endframe's IP.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Richard will put internet on the internet.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The gently caress baton has been passed to Richard.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Didn't Osment play the exact same character in the terrible Entourage movie?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So did we just witness Chekhov's expired yogurt?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The good thing is that the show also doesn't buy into Gilfoyle's bullshit, it is plainly presented as self aggrandizement and an empty act... I mean short of the fact that he has a hot girlfriend for some reason? who knows.

When Richard has to put on the fake show of 'begging' Gilfoyle to return to pied piper and we learn that he was acting passive-aggressively the whole episode simply because he is incapable of acting like a normal person it was very clear that the show considers Gilfoyle to actually be very insecure and A Big Poser.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Erlich's downward spiral this episode was a little forced imo, he's obviously an idiot but he's not completely naive, would he really have made all those leaps of fate without getting a single thing signed on paper? Aren't verbal agreements also binding on some level?

Erlich should have been allowed to go to Hawaii.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

bull3964 posted:

Whether or not their app caused the phones to explode, the reality is that they already transferred the data from Azure.

Transfer data to phone network, phone network undergoes mass bricking, insurance data lost.

Richard just killed that insurance company and hosed that guy harder than Erlich hosed his wife.

That would be a ridiculously stupid plot device as you know, there's no compelling reason to delete the data in real-time while they're still in the expo but... this show loves playing the "omg one thing went wrong and obviously nobody ever plans ahead for failures in the tech industry so obviously the gang are hosed... for the next five minutes" card so, who knows.

Edit: also, gonna bet that it wasn't the pied piper app that burned the phones but Keenen's VR app powered by hoolie's middleout knock-off because that gives Our Heroes a way to win and also resets the cycle by reinstalling Gavin as head of Hoolie by the end of the season.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I can't say that this season was bad because it had many enjoyable moments but I think it's fair to say it was very cowardly, hitting the big 'ole reset 3 minutes before the season ends after we had an entire season of false starts and forced returns to the status quo was really silly.

I understand that there was some progress with the company but it's still all so precarious it could be easily retconned in the next episode.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Richard's entire idea is to have a functional internet without massive data storage servers, I mean, the idea has its problems but at the very least we can say it's a different architecture compared to what we have today.

Though given that about 99.999% of the data on the internet is stored on massive server farms you're going to need a compression algorithm that makes files about one billionth of their original size for something like this to be viable, and even more so as you're going to rely upon duplicate copies of the data to deal with availability issues.

But, I mean, it's par for the course given that this show portrays Richard as a compression wizard and has Gilfoyle build a skynet like super computer in his garage.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I honestly didn't feel like TJ's interview was that negative, he was more candid than you'd expect in a PR interview but it's clear he was just rambling and letting his mind run; I honestly believed that the man just felt like the role has reached and dead end and that he doesn't want to be involved, he'd rather do voice overs and his stand up routine even if it means he won't be as famous, it really all felt 100% legit.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

priznat posted:

I kind of wish Gavin had told Richard where Erlich was "oh I left him in a Tibetan opium den with enough money to smoke himself to death". Richard has become such an rear end in a top hat he'd probably just say "oh, ok" and not actually care.

The way that Gavin lied about it to me sets up a potential reveal in sitcom tropes, but it won't happen and will probably be forgotten.

Judge said specifically that this was done as to allow TJ "an out" in the future if he'll agree to make a cameo.

They offered him a reduced role in the next season but he refused so it seems like from the showrunner's side they'd definitely like to have Erlich return at some point and that this is entirely up to TJ.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Mike Judge has a history of being racist in his shows

King of the Hill's neighbors were Asian stereotypes (and they never even said whether they were Chinese or Japanese)

I know this is a troll and all but goddamnit this is so wrong it still makes me angry. So... god job? I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There's something wrong about that boy!

• Locked thread