Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought Jared was an MBA. Also he keeps popping up with answers in such a way that I want an episode where he's quietly putting out all their fires in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This is the best episode since the EndPlay one. Just loving hilarious.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

Alright, can someone explain what the Pied Piper box actually is? I'm pretty confused about what the actual purpose of that would be.

I think it compresses all a firm's data so that the firm doesn't have to rely on cloud storage outside of their servers and thus doesn't have to worry about their cloud-storage firm's security.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think Pied Piper does compression because it's narratively flexible enough that they can say anything about the algorithm and the layman at home goes "Yeah, sounds plausible."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I do like the idea that they had a great plan for the season but didn't like as much as another and went, "well let's do the setup episode and blow it up immediately."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, thought for sure that conversation with Laurie at the end was going to end with Monica in charge.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I know Monica said Laurie was probably just going to replace her on the board anyways, but it seems her position has been saved - or does she still need to worry about that? I mean, that $250M pricepoint for Endframe proves she made a good choice, right?

I could believe it either way. She could get canned for insubordination and Laurie would have a point, or she could get promoted and Laurie would have a point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My firm got bought, and one of the divisions on the chopping block had meetings with "workflow experts" from the new owners and now they have to fill out "audit reports" accounting for their time, and it's like Mike Judge wrote "Office Space" just for them. Everyone was calling the guys the two Bobs before they got here, and now all the workers are doing TPS reports.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Monica's right about Slack. How the gently caress is that $3B?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
drat, Laurie. drat.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

I didn't understand a word Laurie said sooooo

The gist of it is she wouldn't let Bachmann sell half his share for 5%, and instead offered him $713,000 for all his shares.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is what Jared's doing fraud since he's doing it to hit funding targets?

Because Jared in prison would be loving hilarious.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Richard still doesn't get it either. When he's in the tub, he talks about being "too early," which is what I imagine every failed entrepreneur tells themselves. "It's not my fault. The market is just too dumb."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

e: my prediction for next week - PP takes off for real, but in India. Jared's deception comes to light, but it doesn't matter because good word-of-mouth from all the people making fake accounts causes hundreds of thousands of REAL accounts to be opened by consumers in India.

I like this for the big good-fortune twist that every season apparently has. Maybe they fire Jared because of all the new Bangladeshi accounts, but it turns out the ones Jared bought were run through VPNs, so untraceable by godmode, and the humongous spike from Bangladesh is actually real.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Y'all gonna have to dumb it down even further for me

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

Nerds selling virtual fiefdoms to other nerds due to the idiosyncratic nerd assumption that cryptographically secured peer-to-peer communication is the only thing that will allow the human race to reach it's potential, and once the plebs understand that, the benevolent Nerd-Kings will be there, sitting on their virtual thrones, holding the keys to the magical digital republics of the future.

To be a bit serious, it does go a bit further than that. The creators imagine a future where everyone can code their own apps and examine the code they want to run, starting out with social apps that everyone uses like Facebook, and eventually transferring all governance infrastructure to this system, which in combination with a citizen body that can engage with it on equal and transparent terms, will achieve True Democracy.

If this sounds like science fiction, it's because the only practical thing to come out of it is the buying and sale of digital real estate that doesn't do much but needs to justify it's potential value.

So instead of running Facebook on Chrome, using Facebook's servers and an industry standard code, I would run whatever "Facebook" code I prefer on a small amount of space I rent for my code, and then reconcile it with everyone else's own personal codes so that I could actually see the other content on Facebook?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I watched their video, and some dopey looking dude was like

"say you want to build a tic tac toe game. You can just sit down and code it and be done in two hours. But ideally you'd design a tuc tac toe language that everyone can iterate on and use open source. That would take two years. When it's faster to do it wrong, no one will do it right."

If that's their underpinning philosophy, I don't need to know how it works technically to know it's loving stupid and no one will adopt it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
But is durbit open source?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

I hope that Richard leaving is a real change and let's the show give at least part of the gang some sustained success for once instead of yanking the rug out from under them as soon as things start to look up

You think they'll go all season before they need to buy him out for some of his new internet tech or just like 2 episodes?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Rewatching some clips last night and Erlich's reaction to Dinesh saying "Russ was right, this guy fucks"..

"Jared! Nice. Using that dick" :lol:

I loved Jared trying come up with other topics he and Richard could talk about

"Sports teams and their various scores ... uh ... pussy"

Phi230 posted:

What I don't get is why do they need to build an app or platform or something so myopic like video chat?

If their compression algorithm is the bees knees why can't it just be licensed out to companies for huge cash so that every sector of tech: downloading, streaming, storing data etc... is catapulted lightyears ahead while still making billions?

So the box then?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gret posted:

Not even a box. Just patent the poo poo out of it and license middle out like MP3/HEVC/etc.

Yeah seems like a good idea

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But, you see, that doesn't win Richard a Nobel Prize for ~changing the world~, so no, it's a *terrible* idea. It is becoming kind of clear that even though he's socially awkward, the sole anima driving Richard is that he wants to be 'that guy on the stage' from the very first episode. "Let's all recognize his genius and clap for an hour like they do in North Korea!"

Right yeah, it's not at all hard to believe that Richard wouldn't go this route for ego reasons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"I once saw him throw a sloth down a flight of stairs"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Laurie revealing she has three kids who she's never once mentioned.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

My favorite part of the episode was when I remembered that blood transfusions for theoretical youth is something that is actually real. loving Silicon Valley.

Haha, I knew Peter Thiel was doing it, but loving of course there's a startup for it.

I wonder how long until it's a "gig economy" app.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That was one of the most annoying resets this show has ever done, especially because Gavin working with Pied Piper was something that had been hinted at for a long time and the couple of episodes they did it of it were funny.

Pope Guilty posted:

I want to believe that Gavin's enthusiasm after the transfusion is due to a sudden spike in blood sugar.

Or he was getting high.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

This is one of the funniest, most consistent shows on TV - I think all you doomsayers are wrong. Things will be fine.

It's still very funny; I don't think the problems with the plot are anywhere close to derailing it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That's too bad. TJ Miller is maybe the best part of this show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They've still got a great cast, and the jokes are sharp, and they recovered well when Peter Gregory's actor died, but it's still a big blow.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Nah, there wasn't a lot of good jokes in this one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

fight me irl

Jian Yang loving with Erlich, who is fat and poor.

Gilfoyle's misanthropic rant about solutionism.

Anton.

That loving fridge and its B-plot

The buzzer during the Erlich-Chen phonecall.

Jared idealizing Ed Chambers, who shits on Jared.

Chambers getting a pallet of grapefruit La Croix for an amazeballs price

Erlich eating poo poo.

This episode loving ruled.

Eh, none of these really did it for me. I guess Ed Chambers was sorta funny.

They can't all be winners.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It would have been mining bitcoins by the end of the day

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Meh. I don't see a lot that's wholesale lifted; the guy's basically saying he invented the idea of making a visual narrative centered around patent trolls so he can try to get a quick payout from the makers of "Silicon ...

hey wait a minute

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fuccccccck Jack's little hoolicon mockup and his presentation plan killed me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
When TJ Miller's leaving first came out, didn't the news say he was getting fired? Was that inaccurate or has everyone just been playing along and letting him pretend he's leaving of his own accord?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I love Bighead but it'd also be entirely within character for him to not be seen until about 5x03 or so, and be a Congressman for no particular reason.

Accidentally starting a run for president. Just Bighead getting a tour through a ball bearing plant in Ohio and having no idea why.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think HBO syndicates its shows.

Edit: No wait, they did syndicate Sex and the City didn't they?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:lol:

Alright, you're a pretty good troll after all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know a ton about the Internet of Things, but that seemed like a big stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silicon Valley will go on just fine without TJ MIller; he's a big part, but not the linchpin. Cheers, though, I just can't watch past Shelley Long leaving. I know the general consensus is that the show did fine without her, but it just falls right apart for me.

• Locked thread