Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dead Snoopy posted:

The Hooli bros are TOTALLY going to have Big Head as an investor, aren't they?

Oh my god, I didn't think of that. That would be hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
They should've stayed with Hanneman. He supported their vision, didn't he?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Angering PETA is as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
What's the most cave-troll job in IT, anyways?

I'm asking for a friend.

Edit: Emphasis on the lack of human contact.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 10, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I just hope Bighead comes out okay. Dude's really, really nice.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I was disappointed by the 'wrong room' schtick until it was implied that he was in there for like an hour straight

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Hilarious dialog this episode!

And I hope Bighead gets rich again :ohdear:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That's why he ordered it virgin! :doh:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

This is for little babby coders who think one day they can make cool videogames or something because they took two C classes at the local community college.

This is for 10th level blackbelt masters who are one step away from turning into a tree after achieving perfection.

The first one looks better but the second one feels better to think about. Does this mean I have the 'tism?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'm hoping Richard and Erlich's degeneration is a deliberate choice rather than inattention. It could be 'success/money changes people.'

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Isn't Snapchat the sexting app? That's all anyone I know who uses it uses it for. Self-destructing dirty pics.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Uh, intermediate with mostly older co-workers. And I only know a few people who use snapchat.

Apparently consistent with your observations!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The gently caress are all you whiny shits doing here? Jesus christ.

Inkspot posted:

Doesn't Bighead still own Code/Rag? Exclusives with "hot new company" Pied Piper ought to earn him at least some of that money back.

I'm still holding out that that one goon's right and Gavin will pay him millions to retract the article.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

That's almost certainly what they want. Facebook, Google, and Apple already have a lot of people's information. From a competitive standpoint, Microsoft would be fools to not want a piece of that. Of course, there's the fact that this is creepy as all hell and has the ability to be abused for nefarious purposes, but ethical considerations don't come into play here.

The American Deep State, powered by Microsoft™

Rexides posted:

As for the show itself, that was quite the curveball they did with Laurie. I mean, all things considered it was a very rational thing to do when you are a dried up, emotionless husk of a person, but right now there is no way to just ignore this when there is any interaction involving her. She is basically the season's villain now.

Reminds me of Spock's ex-wife. Perfectly logical.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah.

Bighead's follies were that of the bumbling Nicest Guy In The World.

Erlich's follies were that of maliciously exploiting the bumbling Nicest Guy In The World.

Poor Bighead, who ran into 'family dynasty' money and then lost it all thanks to having no idea what to do with it and thanks to being easily exploited by someone he thought was a friend with suitable expertise.

Also, umbrella insurance. If you're ever (really loving) loaded, get umbrella insurance.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
It covers litigation! And is cheap.

quote:

A more likely scenario in which you would want an umbrella policy is if you want to guard yourself against a hypothetical lawsuit that would go beyond your current coverage. Let’s say you have a $500,000 homeowner’s insurance policy. Your son has a friend over to the house, and the little tyke bangs his head on the diving board in your backyard pool. His family takes you to court and wins $900,000.

If you only had homeowner’s insurance, you would be on the hook for that additional four hundred thousand dollars. But if you had an umbrella policy (coverage of which comes in million dollar increments), you would be insured for the $500,000 of the homeowner’s policy plus $1,000,000 for the umbrella coverage, meaning that our hypothetical diving board accident could lose you $1,500,000 in court before it costs a penny out of your pocket.

The nice thing about an umbrella policy is that it is dirt cheap, relatively speaking. Usually, it costs about $300 per year for each $1,000,000 increment of insurance that you buy, and it can bring you great piece of mind. If you have a guest come over that falls down the stairs and paralyzes himself, it is quite possible that the total costs of the litigation will cost you more than what a $500,000 policy would cover. But if you spent $600 per year to get $2,000,000 worth of umbrella insurance coverage, you would need to lose $2,500,000 before getting affected personally.

When it comes to umbrella insurance, we’re in Benjamin Franklin’s “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” territory. Conceptually, you can buy yourself great piece of mind for $600 by adding $2,000,000 worth of coverage to any adverse event that comes your way. You do not remember the day that the milkman fell down the steps of your porch as the day that put you on the path to bankruptcy.

http://theconservativeincomeinvestor.com/2013/07/07/if-you-are-rich-you-need-umbrella-insurance/

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What I don't get, is that it seems Gavin decided to pull the "I SHALL HAVE MY REVENGE" gambit before he even signed the "we're sorry we almost shitcanned you" contract they were pitching.

Next episode should open on that point with Action Jack Barker, CEO of Hooli.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Edit: ^^Booo, it was hilarious! Also, TJ Miller's being overused. He's fat and depressed and his character sucks.

I'm with the terminator guy. The way Pied Piper's network functions, it sounds like some kind of World Brain whose long-term memory is your file storage.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, she seemed like a nice combination of [Deeply Understands], [Is Enthusiastic] and [Is Personable]. She'd be a great spokesperson.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e31fzretU0

So. What do you think he does?

The only thing I can think of is he sacrifices privacy for monetization, Big Data analytics or some such..

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Smart phones are the computer of choice in the developing world and data speeds and rates are a bitch. Pied Piper would really solve some problems.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If real, shouldn't something like pied piper be applicable to internet backbones? It's like instant encryption and decryption and you can interact with compressed data. They should be making billions already by shrinking all internet traffic to a fraction of its size.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Jesus put this show out of its misery out two more seasons already HBO

FTFY

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I at least want this show to last long enough for Erlich to turn into Gavin and Richard to turn into that guy from season 1 who died irl.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I hope they've got an A+, "series of pipes," joke lined up.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
His Bollywood chic was hilarious

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That was a really good episode. Last season, I was worried but this had a lot of successful jokes. Confidence restored.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Phenotype posted:

That's exactly where they were at the start of the show -- they had Richard's compression algorithm and they were trying to get it funded and worrying about Gavin Belson claiming the IP.

I also think the octopus recipes app was kind of a missed note. It was funny, but it wasn't really plausible. Why would that guy be excited to hear Jin Yiang's pitch about an app with octopus recipes? Why would Jin Yiang come up with it in the first place? An app that contains 8 recipes is a middle-aged housewife's first project after taking a course at the library -- even if Jin Yiang's weird and out-of-touch, he'd at least be doing something more interesting than that. I'm surprised they didn't stretch themselves to come up with an equally-ludicrous app that at least made sense, like Bighead's erect nipple detector app from the first season.

I've read that it's (intentionally) difficult to do business in China without a Chinese business partner. They could want an 'in' on cooking apps.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Big Head accidentally becomes the Feynman of computer science lectures. Everybody wants to hear him talk, because he explains things "down to earth". Granted Big Head doesn't actually know what he's talking about, but his insights are 'profound' for those listening.

This is the funniest place they could go with it

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Meeting Bike?

The juices are flowing, the red corpuscles are corpuscling, the breeze is cool and your meeting format is wholly disrupted or something

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If they bring Gavin in, it'll look like they ganked his career to open up his schedule.

I want this to happen, and I want Bighead to get credit.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I want Gavin to think they ganked his career to make him available for the internet thing and to try to murder Richard

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I love how much the class likes Bighead and that they really got something out of the films.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

One thing I don't get is why did they make it a point to show that it was an actual human that did the tedious job of marking a picture as a penis or not? I thought that was the whole point of machine learning to let the computer do it?

You have to train them first.

Iirc, you plug a bunch of functions together (outputs to inputs) and apply weights to the values as they pass between functions. That's a mile-up perspective on what a neural network is.

To train it, you provide it with a large amount of known inputs and outputs and let it adjust its weights to connect each pair. After feeding it millions upon millions of dicks, it should have rejiggered itself into something which can reliably classify unknown inputs as dick or not dick.

And this is way easier than developing some kind of algorithmic representation of the Platonic Dick.

pentyne posted:

Did I miss anything or were the movies Bighead showing all heavily featuring a tech aspect, like You've Got Mail and The Social network. It could seem like he's deliberately showing people those movies to showcase technology connecting people or the immutable nature of the modern internet and have people fall over themselves to talk about how insightful and mysterious he is.

He Mr. Miyagi-ed the class into a great start up opportunity like a Daoist master

The legend grows

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 15, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Is he a dick?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
They'll take a cue from Yes, MinsterYes, Prime Minister and upgrade the title to Silicon Beltway.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Poor Mia. She just wanted her Indian IT guy. :smith:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Invests in an auto-bong. Becomes world's first pot OD.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I hate when people spoiler speculation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Spaces vs. Tabs debate got this thread locked for a few weeks last season. Why not just drop it.

Iirc, the OP closed the thread in protest of nerd chat in the nerd show thread.

Edit: I just checked. OP's a loving idiot who closed the thread over a sweet tabs vs spaces discussion and a mod unlocked the thread next day and told him to not do that again

The discussion did not resume :smith:

(gently caress you, op)

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 26, 2017

• Locked thread