Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I still can't decide if I like TJ miller or even find him funny, but I finally read the THR interview, and it seems very clear Miller is aware that this move is a terrible career decision, but acknowledges mediocre voiceover work will pay the bills while giving more time and creative options for his own projects. The Yogi Bear quote very much reads as tongue in cheek.

quote:

I'm me, the guy that thinks all of this is sort of ridiculous. It was a joke. Leaving was a joke that I thought would be a good joke because the show would grow and change. It seemed like a funny trick to play on everyone. It's just like, what if Kramer [Michael Richards] left in the middle of Seinfeld's height? And also what if that guy never said the N-word on a stage? What if that was the end of this character? I just thought that would be really fascinating.

quote:

That's what America is. There is failure, but we pivot. My departure will do the same. Instead of dying, like everybody in my family would love, I go and make The Emoji Movie. It's worse for American culture..

quote:

Some people are like, "Ah, I guess he's got too much going on, he's too big for the show." What are you talking about? It's, like, the best show on television, in my opinion, and I'm going and doing The Emoji Movie — and you can publish that because Sony knows we down to get motherf—ing paid globally.

quote:

Websites like TV Overmind or something, and they're putting forth very reasonable, well-written logic for why this is so dumb and the only thing I'll ever be good at was this part in Silicon Valley. Yet none of them have seen Yogi Bear 3D, so they're all talking and chit-chattering and squawk, squawk, squawk — but none of them have seen Yogi Bear 3D. So they don't know that I've already done the best thing that I'll ever do. And because of that, there is no fear about any move in Hollywood for me. I'm just on the downslope. This is all a downward spiral, career-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

God Hole posted:

The Yogi Bear 3D self-deprecation thing has literally been a part of both TJ Miller's stand-up material and a regular throwaway line of his on talk shows for about 5 years now.

Ah, ok- I haven't seen his stand up special yet. It just seemed like there were some posts taking that Yogi Bear quote at face value.

• Locked thread