Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

DrunkPanda posted:

Real talk, I work at a tech company and the CTO that was around since the beginning and basically invented everything for the company quit pretty recently, due to the sales people focusing too much on trying to monetize everything and destroying the R&D budget. I'm starting to think I'm watching a tv show of my life :stare:

Haha, I know the feeling. Except in my case I was the CTO who quit. This show is so shockingly accurate at times it's downright uncomfortable, right down to crazy "moonshots" teams. It's that special sort of uncomfortable where you can't even really mention how close to home it is without insulting some of the people who have obvious counterparts in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

The real idiocy was actually explained super well - it's incredibly difficult to start at enterprise and move out to consumer. Enterprises are immediately going to push you in a direction that is CRAZY far away from what you would probably want to do if you were a consumer app, and in all likelihood make it complex and unintuitive. The features that they killed in order to sell to enterprise are exactly the sorts of things that get kiboshed when you start chasing big contracts, and suddenly have to deal with crazy labyrinthe non-sensical security requirements that differ from customer to customer, inability to leverage the data your app works with, intense suspicion of anyone who sells any version of their product for less than $1,500 a month, etc.

Plus you're swimming with sharks in that world, and being able to compress a little better is an afterthought feature compared to all the certifications, audits, case studies and consultants the big guys are going to throw at customers.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 4, 2016

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Kin posted:

Could a compression algorithm like this theoretically be used to help process larger files quicker?

I currently deal with stupidly big data sets clocking in at over a gig for a csv and I can almost hear the excel reports that process this screaming at me as they slowly chug through the calculations.

Depends on the bottleneck. If it's transferring the files over a network or something, maybe (this wouldn't be the case with CSV and excel reports). But you'd need to decompress it, at least in memory, to do anything useful with it.

In your case your problem is that you're using the wrong tool. 1 GB isn't anywhere close to the realm of "big data", but the strategy for anything involving CSV should be to first get it into something that can process it more effectively (excel is not that thing)

• Locked thread