Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Deadulus posted:

Huh, looking up the Meinertzhagen's Haversack. The historical ploy was letting a haversack with false plans fall into enemy hands. I wonder if the dropped papers was a trick or if they genuinely hosed up.

Then again, this is the same show that didn't describe the Schroedingers Cat thought experiment correctly so maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Avasculous posted:

What did they get wrong with Schroedinger's Cat? I'm not an expert at all and just skimmed the Wikipedia page, but wasn't their description basically right?

Basically the entire point of the experiment itself. The original is a canister or vial of poison that would be released if whatever subatomic occurrence you want to make fun of occurs and triggers the mechanism. In the show they just dumb it down to poison food. One you are leaving it to subatomic change (the whole point of the thought process joke) the other you just poisoned a cat in box and left it closed. Not a big thing, but neither would be having their plan not 100% follow the historical definition of the scheme.

It probably will though, but I can't figure out what they could possibly gain by feigning false skunkworks instead of just doing it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why would Gilfoyle (sp?) say to Richard, "You were supposed to shred those" when absolutely no one but their group was in ear shot?

Better yet, what do they gain by tipping anyone off at a possible scheme at all?

Better better yet, gently caress it, I acquit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Some sort of reverse airBnB?

So LANDyMy?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Haven't watched it yet, but were all the people claiming that they got caught on purpose correct?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

withak posted:

Those people were incorrect.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?!?!?!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They got 3 seats total when they bought out the douche bag guy. Laurie was originally the only person from Raviga.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

Acquit doesn't even make sense. Why was that even a theory.

The best part, the best part, was that several goons rewound and reached it, people put it on youtube, and even screen capped the subtitles, and there were still people that didn't give up the ghost. Though my favorite office bullshit was whether the cheese balls were CG'd or not. It wasn't a huge derail/debate, but the shear anger of the people claiming it had to be CG was, no pun intended, delicious. Also the salt on cars. And if it was a bike chain or bungee cord. And if Angela lying about the parentage of her kid was funny or not. And Team Karen/Pam....I miss the old Office threads.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So by the end of the season Richard won't be CEO anymore, correct?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

Zach Woods' character on The Office wasn't that popular, but I thought he was funny in that show too. I was a bit disappointed they couldn't contrive a reason for him to appear in the series finale.

"Shut up about the sun! SHUT UP ABOUT THE SUN!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHzk4g2zRaA

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 25, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's looks like a virgin that's been starved to death.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Since I don't work in the tech field, why is it such a bad idea? Seems like the fastest and most hands off way to get your platform to other companies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bull3964 posted:

"This guy fucks!"

This is the obvious choice.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lycus posted:

I was getting kinda close to wanting to fast forward Richard's scenes this week. Ha-ha, Big Head's already broke.

Yeah, but he knows for sure that his pool is in just the right place. Can't put a price on that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kdrudy posted:

It's like the argument about how to put toilet paper on the roller, it does not matter. Your fart app will run just the same with both.

Over hand is the correct way. Otherwise the quilting would be facing the wrong way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This show is basically The Big Bang Theory for people that wanna pretend they don't like The Big Bang Theory.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Please do.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It being intentional wouldn't have been funny. It was just a good joke that people thought about a little too much.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

At the end of the day this show is farce, and any debate as to whether a character is really that dumb or not defers to it being farce. Exaggerated actions and improbable situations for comic effect are the bread and butter of the genre.

Yup, this isn't Arrested Development where there's millions of hidden jokes and foreshadowing through out the season. Everything is played straight forward and honestly I think it works really well with the cast.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We can only hope she has just as big of a part in this new episode that she did the last one. Remember when she said "hi" to the guys and then later called Gilfoyle an rear end in a top hat?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's not really for "tech people." Tech people just like hearing poo poo they know about being mentioned on a show and then sperge about it for week while not discussing the "show" itself because it's very straight forward and there's not a lot to discuss about it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We're just not getting the "full humor" of one off mentions of specific software. I guess you could say it works on different levels, but it really doesn't. The humor of "how is Slack a thing?!" is funny if you know what Slack is or not.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe HBO or Showtime will make a comedy about financial advisors so I can sit in a TVIV thread and talk about the difference between preferred stock vs bonds as an income tool. Then again I probably wouldn't since I'm able to separate my job from my entertainment/personality.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And just like this show it wouldn't be written only for finance/banking people to enjoy. Otherwise it would basically be like watching a training video.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have a weird feeling Big Head is going to wind up with Pied Piper in some capacity by the end of the season. And of course he'll be super rich again somehow. Maybe as another investor? Can't remember if Ravidia or whoever has an exclusive funding deal with them or not.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

If this is anything like what I've experienced in real life, there will be a lot of hype in the company, testers, partners and everyone even tangentially connected to it. But it will be a complete flop, they will se no hype or movement in the public and everyone will be dumbfounded. They've been in a bubble thinking this product launch is the most important thing, thinking people are clamoring to get their hands on it, but everyone will have forgotten about them. The tech awards give them a false sense of importance but because it took more than 2 weeks to go live the media has moved on.

This would be great, but I don't know if it will be the case with Hoolie keeping the compression battle in everyone's mind. Maybe if they do a flash forward or something. Still I think it would be hilarious if it did work perfect and just nobody wound up caring about any of it. Like the tech community and blogs are all over it, but the general public gives zero shits and all the middle-out compression companies start to fizzle out.

edit:
And then Richard finally becomes a billionaire by releasing his original mp3 download app!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nexous posted:

The business manager set aside 70% for "taxes." So, he really only blew through ~6mil.

edit: I can math.

Then Big Head will get all but probably 40% of that back once he files. Our little guy will be fine! Or he can sue the broker/dealer the business manager worked for and they'll just pay him off out of their fidelity bond.

You guys probably don't get the joke since it was about taxes and suitability rules with the SEC.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 9, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All I learned is that real life IT guys are even more insufferable than a show about lambasting them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha!

PLEASE USE ONLY ONE COFFEE PACKET AND NOT TWO.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Reading these articles and hearing the tech people talk in this thread are making me realize they are toning everything down to make it more palatable to ordinary viewers for the show. Which is amazing because everyone in the show seems to have their head up their own rear end and is completely useless in normal human interactions...except Jared...who is made fun of constatntly because he is nice and can hold a conversation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's probably what drove him to be the man he is now. Bullying works people! Brings out the best in everybody!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

IT is basically computer janitors so that makes sense.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cut the power to the internet!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wanna sum it up for those of us that can't watch it tonight?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

And that's with a nearly 50% premium of last Friday's closing stock price. Insane.

A pretty big part of me wants to buy puts on MSoft stock right now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kiimo posted:

Linked In is loving worthless (or 26 billion I guess). Has anybody ever gotten a job with it? ever.

It's basically vendors and sales-based retards trying to connect with people in corporations. Unless people have experiences that differ than mine. I'm not sure what Microsoft wants with it, short of integrating Word with the resume software. Do they just want the customer base?

Basically does anyone think this will help either company?

I got a couple interviews from it and one job offer. Turned it down though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's people like her that would do that with a smile to your face. At may she was forthright and didn't hide it. And as she said, Richard is the one who enabled her to do it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DrPlump posted:

I don't think Bachman had to sell his shares he is just an idiot. All she was able to do using control of the board was block the sale of any portion of the stock to anyone other than herself and refuse to allow the sale of any amount other than Bachman's full share. None of this goes into effect until the next board meeting so there is still time for him to refuse the sale provided he can give her the money back.

Even if he had allowed to court proceedings to go thought they would not have forced him to sell his shares for below value to pay it. He should have easily been able to borrow against his shares to repay his debts.

He'd still be in the same situation since the board controls the stock and the court will just say "liquidate your stock."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The court isn't gonna care if he sells at a loss or not, just that he pays his debtors. If he's short he's short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

gret posted:

At the very least Erlich could've refinanced his house to pay his debts.

That would have been the smart thing to do, but it's a TV show. Ride it out until the company goes public, sell a couple % at issue to become set for life and ride the remaining 8-9.5% out through retirement.

• Locked thread