Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Mandingo posted:

Holy poo poo the comments on the blog post.
Yeah.

quote:

Robert Davis
May 1, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Can you assure your customers that the system is immune to hacking attempts by government entities such as the FBI? Just how safe will our data be? Recently Apple was hacked for the FBI by a third party, and it is now unsecured!

Hillary
May 1, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Can information on the “Box” be hidden so no one ever sees it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Was that real horses or CGI?
I am amazed we lives in a world where people ask "is it real or CGI" when two horses are having sex. Someone should start a watch real animals having sex .com it looks like there is a market there. Believe me when a mare is in heat and you bring a stallion next to it, missing the money shot is pretty pretty hard.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 3, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

hepscat posted:

I thought the horse loving had been talked about to death, but PETA hadn't weighed in on the "arranged rape":

http://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/PETA-Blasts-Silicon-Valley-Explicit-Horse-7390317.php
"The HBO show’s May 1 episode featured two stallions going at it, and the animal rights organization was not amused". Yeah, typical PETA style homophobia.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I think it compresses all a firm's data so that the firm doesn't have to rely on cloud storage outside of their servers and thus doesn't have to worry about their cloud-storage firm's security.
Lol they are probably going to be targeted by state sponsored hackers.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've got to admit, this was the most I've liked Tobo/Barker thus far. He dropped the veil in this episode and actually became a legitimate villain, not someone ~wacky~ like Gavin Belson.
Gavin is an all ego driven "i am changing the world" type, with just enough business sense (and chance) to keep his position, Barker is all about making money for the share holders and don't give a poo poo about ambitious technological projects (like Hooli's last phone), they are the yin and the yang of the tech industry. And yeah, Barker actually makes more sense and is a far more dangerous enemy.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 9, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

Preview/promo is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQH1fc6BnU

:suspense::bubblewoop::asoiaf::coolspot::peanut: What OTHER Incubator? :suspense::bubblewoop::asoiaf::coolspot::peanut:
Big head spending his money well by starting an incubator.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The "welcome to Hooli fresh faces!" welcome party had me in tears. "7 years? I was there 9 years. He was invited to my marriage."

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

I absolutely adore that he found a way to fire Nucleus and still keep it.
He also basically spent 200+ million dollars to re-hire the team members he previously fired without indemnities. He could have offered that to Richard months prior and dodged the whole thing.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ApathyGifted posted:

I hope Jared AirBnB's his own apartment and then squats it back out from under the douchebag.
Jared will win his trial against the guy but the new airbnb's guy will also refuse to leave, restarting the cycle.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Nope! Just don't talk poo poo about the company and don't talk about what you 'did' at the company.
Which is perfect because him saying "i did nothing of note" is both what he actually did and what they want to hear.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Avasculous posted:

Usually I think you guys are too hard on Richard, but Jesus Christ this episode.
The whole tabulation thing was hilarious. His look when she pressed the space bar.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

darkpool posted:

Tabs vs spaces is very simple, as Jared should know. You do whichever one is in the project style guide so you don't end up with false diff reports, where only whitespace was changed because of different team members having different code editor settings.

So Richard was essentially correct.

:(
Please, don't jump down stairs 8 stairs by 8 stairs , guys.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

And I just realized the actor who plays him is the same one who was the sound guy on the last season of the office. WOW.
Chris Diamantopoulos was also pretty great as a mentally unstable tv executive in the last 2 seasons of Episodes.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

So it sounds like the character he played on the office isn't really the types of dudes he normally plays?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUEIqbOthqY

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Was waiting for this to come up in the last scene; that Erlich somehow screwed it up by selling his shares to Laurie and presumably giving up his board seat as well. Not too late, but it would actually be nice if they could launch successfully without one of them loving it up. And then deal with the shitstorm of terrible UX design later.
Yeah even if he sold under 1%, it can change the balance of power. I like to think Elrich sold something relatively low like 0.5% out of his 10% (because he is greedy) and is only sad because he knows he betrayed Richard something big by giving the control to Bream.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Monica's right about Slack. How the gently caress is that $3B?
It's like a "irc for PROFESSIONALS" (because it's marketed as such) so companies don't feel poo poo using such tools because they can spend money on it and there is a "For PRO" stamp on it (and someone to blame if there is a problem).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 7, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The UI thing is easily solvable if they don't get super sperg about it. By default start off with a simple UI that says "Compress my file" that just uses some decent default settings. Then have a link that goes to advanced options which can be that screen.
I don 't think MISTER TAB(from doctor richard and mister tab) would approve an UNOPTIMAL default compression scheme. Probably why he will go against it and lose because someone sold some of his 10% share to pay his Hawaiian fest.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Hrmmm perhaps an easy to use GUI is valuable
I will be honest if Richard manage to have an "advanced user" gui with intact functionalities alongside the new "kitchen sink" gui they will most likely drop on him, he will be lucky.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

NERDY stuff in my SILICON VALLEY THREAD???????????? It's more likely than you think.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I really like the private jets scene, where at no point they think of sharing a plane despite going to the same place for the same period of time and clearly wanting to talk to each other. The "contact me on hooli to play chess while we fly" part was great.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Avasculous posted:

I think so too, especially since the language that Hooli's board used was almost identical to what Laurie said to Richard when she replaced him (with Jack) as CEO:

"You're not being fired. We're... transitioning you to a role more suitable within the company."
It would be pretty funny if the Jack/Gavin relationship ends up mirroring the Jack/Richard one.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

They basically rebooted the show back to where they're a small plucky company in need of funding if they want to take the next step. Except this time they have a less dumb name and a product that normal users will be a) interested in and b) able to understand without two hours of explanations. And they already have a pretty good user base.

If anything, the writers will have to work double time next season to manufacture some obstacles to overcome for the Pied Piper Bighead Gang.
Yeah if their technology works, NON-poo poo-SKYPE sounds like a slam dunk.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

kanonvandekempen posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is wrong with Skype at the moment?
It's a matter of performance/reliability. Their "stuck man" eagle stream had a super high quality compression, if they can do that or have lower resolutions with better reliability, less crash, they are market leader in their universe if in universe their rivals are real world equivalents.

John Big Booty posted:

Seriously.

How many people do you think that Reed Hastings would personally jerk off to reduce bandwidth usage and storage by that amount?
Netflix wouldn't be the only one interested. The amount of money Amazon would pay to have that on twitch to kill their rivals streaming concurrents would be something. Licensing that poo poo to Hulu, Youtube and everything that provide video would represent billions of dollars. And if they can integrate their technology to normal tv/cable, it's even more money.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Hmmm so now Gavin is the boss of the tech blogger they used to out him as a scum? What could go wrong? "Hey tech blogger whose blog i own, what was the source?"

• Locked thread