Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Golden Bee posted:

Everyone Valleywag covered who wasn't a sexist

Republican Nominee Carly Fiorina.

Uuuuhhh... Nip Alert? I think the litigator made a convincing argument it was wholly sexist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting

gret posted:

Or just more east Asians in general. They're a huge proportion of the Silicon Valley workforce, yet all we see is FOB-y Jian Yang.

There's definitely a handful more, including Dinesh, but the portrayal is almost as bad a The Walking Dead in actually reflecting the population of where it takes place.

I can't remember, but I don't think two Asians have even shared a scene together. Maybe the season 1 finale.

This show might have an Asian Highlander issue, haha.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
Most of the think pieces posing as news or editorial are not written by journalists interested in an exploring the cultural impact of nmedia. They're written by authors who only want to espouse their opinions, such as why something they disagree with is "problematic"; thereby giving their idea some credibility only because it's published on the internet.

Websites like Slate just want daily content. They don't care how will founded the ideas in the pieces they publish are as long as it somehow fits in with their editorial view point.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
It's a hollow argument because really the Asian characters are not portrayed any more or less inept or conniving than their white counterparts. And Erlich's racism is skewered rather than validated--although I'm sure audiences can take it any way they like. Further, Jian Yang isn't taking advantage of Erlich any more or less than Erlich is trying to take advantage of Jian Yang in return, or Bighead.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 31, 2017

• Locked thread