Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Honestly could use a rip for Peter Gregory. He was too good for this worlds

Veskit fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I don't want equal representation in my comedy show please just get the funny people. If you were to then you'd have zero women blacks or Latinos in the show. Also a lot more assholes.

Also Jared would be a woman considering he's hr

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

Since when are MBA's programs not predominately made up of men...? And was that really his role at Hooli? I can't remember.

Mostly being 60/40, and I thought Jared was an HR exec. He knew a lot of specific information that really only someone in HR would know, regardless of which MBA program he went through.

Someone confirm this so we can put this what gender would RL Jared be debate :colbert:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

What in specific are you thinking of?

Remember when they were trying to hire that extra coder and it ended up being the chick and he knew every law regarding how to hire them and was a HR eccentric episode? Then it was peppered throughout the first season when they were setting up.

He's not on the finance side, that part is certain, he's not in accounting, IT, international, meeting with anyone outside the company, nor is he in revenue. It effectively leaves project management and HR, or maybe some specialized area?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Omne posted:

He was also teaching them SCRUM, so maybe he's more of a general business guy? Or he knows whatever the show needs him to

Nah you can know scrum in hr and use it!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Are people seriously arguing about what Jared does?

The guy fucks

You hella gently caress in hr yo you're above the law

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

CFO would explain why he fucks, it that's a pretty big loving position and he would have been a suit which he wasn't.

Xoidanor posted:

SCRUM is project development which falls under innovation management. What came to my mind was pivoting which is more of strategy consulting thing. Nevertheless, clearly he majored in being the guy who fucks.

EDIT: Maybe it's Mergers & Acquisitions? That would explain why he's well versed in hiring practices, strategy and project development.

Mergers and acquisitions again explains why he fucks. He's an expert you know what I've come on board with that now Jared is mergers and acquisitions.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Nothing will ever be as bad as "I acquit!"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

panda clue posted:

literally all anyone has posted for the last page, while still not a single rebuttal for the other reasons why this idea is retarded.

Because you're still sucking from your moms tits for sustenance there you happy?

loving idiots even if you're right who gives a poo poo

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Reasons I come into SV thread:

Hey remember that thing that happened (then I think ohhh yeah that did happen that was awesome)

Hey Look at this thing did anyone else notice? (poo poo i didn't notice that that was awesome!)

Hey Quad jerking dissertation (WOWOWOWOWOW)

NOT KNEE PAD CONSPIRACIES

Xoidanor posted:

Remind me to never mention anything fiction related if I by any chance ever meet you at a party.

Scratch that, just stay away.

Could you imagine watching a movie like Idiocracy with this rear end in a top hat

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I/'ll give panda clue this much it is really fun having a Ginesh around.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You have no home here because you have no place to write Richard fan fiction where he happens to always wear a panda cap

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Someone compile me a list of all the good drat conspiracy theorists who ruined this thread for a week with the second dumbest theory I've heard in tviv

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

And just curious, what was the dumbest theory you've heard here?

I aquit hands down. There are probably more from the animated stuff or something but that's the only one that stands out to me. This is next to it though and boy howdy was that one loving dumb.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Avasculous posted:

Good episode, but in retrospect the board meeting was a stretch. Aside from Jack's open arrogance, someone saying "you have to approve this new deal right now " has got to be a huge red flag to anyone that negotiates contracts.

For Laurie to admit that she overlooked that she was giving up control of the IP for five years and then capitulate instantly to that pressure (and what is the urgency anyways?) just makes her look terrible at the one thing she's supposed to excel at.

Stop stop stop stop stop stop stop stop stooooooooooooooppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Holy poo poo

This is a show where a grown man punched a child for some Ritalin shut the gently caress up and go with it.

OOOOOOOOOoohOOHHHHHHH but Veskit, the cops definitely would have put Erlic in jail for all that pot that was confiscated, why is he even on the show this show is dumb.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

VagueRant posted:

I thought it was an interesting insight personally. The show works hard to be accurate about a lot of stuff, and so it's interesting to see where and how it stretches that reality, especially in areas I'm not really familiar with. Besides, when all the aspiring writer goons finally get that Hollywood gig and have to write boardroom negotiations scenes on The Wire 2: Wire Harder - they'll have a better idea of how to make it seem legit.

Or: the guy wasn't exactly calling for cancellation over this. Please chill.

IT'S ONLY ACCURATE TO SERVICE THE COMEDY DUMBSHOE HOW DO YOU NOT GET THIS. When you start brining up ohhh this would and would happen I just want to stab your mouth shut.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

My DVR cutoff as the group was walking into Jack's old office and started talking to Laurie. Can anyone please summarize what the scene was?

Bighead was in the chair

13Pandora13 posted:

Jack's out, no CEO will be appointed until ???

You son of a

Why is everyone so god drat honest on a comedy forum

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Ohhh hey, I just took a break from the thread once people brought up kneepad theory, how have things been since.... :yikes:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

code:
    Wow was poo poo real
        The thread went nuts over nothing 

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Avasculous posted:

This is a huge frustration for me in Biotech. There's a host of powerful, open-source tools that do everything imaginable with sequencing data if you can spend 20 minutes picking up basic Unix commands.

Yet somehow almost every lab in my department is paying $2-5000/per license annual for a commercial program with: less transparency, way less functionality, proprietary file type bullshit, and a GUI.

You loving nerd.

Holy poo poo you guys need to get out there and work with real people if you think IRC is acceptable for business in any way.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Well, kinda. The various levels of security it was designed for way back in the 80s were 'None', because noone worried about such things back then. I guess a few support SSL connections now, but that's pretty recent and otherwise it's all wide-open plain text.

However, lol at the suggestion you'd hire a guy to run an IRC server full-time. You can set one up in about five minutes and it really doesn't need much maintenance or resources assuming you're not trying to get, like, all of IBM's employees on there.

And if it breaks?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Then you spend another 5 minutes restarting it. Or stick it on a VM and roll back to a working snapshot if something's gone wrong. IRC servers are just not heavyweight enterprise-style pieces of software with lots of configuration or lots of moving parts to go wrong. You don't need to spend much time maintaining them at the sort of scale your average company would use.

Who in the magic gently caress do you think is doing this?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

God drat people like you are why project managers like me have jobs.

blunt posted:

Except you can't just roll it back because compliance and auditing dictates you retain every message regarding work that flows through a company channel.

This is why companies are happy to outsource this stuff to people like slack.

Didn't know it was a requirement. Makes sense though, especially when you're indited and they have to go through slack to get any info

The Dave posted:

If you think IRC is a viable business communication solution you are deep in a bubble.

The Dave posted:

If you think IRC is a viable business communication solution you are deep in a bubble.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

extravadanza posted:

I'm in TVIV and here is 2 and a half pages of reading all about hip new communication platforms Goons don't understand.

I mean, given where we're talking it kind of makes sense how they could have a dated sense of communication, but jesus the gently caress christ they have no idea who works. Like, have you guys ever gone to work with people who may or may not understand computers in general? Like, your parents?

You have to set up computer poo poo for your parents to use and then you go yeah just execute these unix commands and open up IRC to talk in these channels about... Nothing? Also find that super important message that Julia said because she's being a bitch and pretending like you never told her that she had htis thing due.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Last Chance posted:

the fact that you think "change directory" means moving a folder just further backs this up.

I just looked this up. I wasn't going to make fun of him because moving folders does sound simple, but after seeing what it involves Holy syhhhiitttt :lol:

GET OUT AND MEET REAL PEOPLE PLEASE YOU ARE TERRIBLE AT IT SOLTUIONS

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

She just said "I passed on Slack" and that means nothing to anyone not in the field.

There goes IT again acting like they know what they're talking about.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/01/slack-raises-200-million-at-3-8-billion-valuation/

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-canceled-8-billion-slack-bid-due-to-bill-gates-and-satya-nadella-pushback-2016-3

If you follow business at all then you've heard about Slack just via how much money they've been worth lately. IT WAS A BUSINESS JOKE NOT AN IT JOKE YOU loving NERD

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

We get it. You're some sort of middle managment weirdo who looks down on IT people.

Looks down?

Last Chance posted:

are you okay?

Always

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

You've really shown me that a "cloud collaboration software company" isn't a tech thing... :smug:

I guess I'll just be a NERD about it, it hurts so much!

Tech thing? There's nothing technical you will ever talk about it besides it's a clod collaboration chatroom. It's like saying cell phones are a tech thing that are inaccessible to non technical people.

Also yeah you shouldn't be a nerd it's terrible and bad for you.

ElCondemn posted:

You watch a show about tech nerds and you've heard of slack before? Maybe you're the demo for the jokes...

To bring it up again, the spaces joke was for technical people, Slack, not so much!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe HBO or Showtime will make a comedy about financial advisors so I can sit in a TVIV thread and talk about the difference between preferred stock vs bonds as an income tool. Then again I probably wouldn't since I'm able to separate my job from my entertainment/personality.

Nobody in BFC is as insufferable as someone who can code a little bit. Not even a lot, just a little. Also a show about financial advisers could get really loving sad fast :smith:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

And just like this show it wouldn't be written only for finance/banking people to enjoy.

I should mention that that movie is called office space.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

The next time they talk about tabs vs spaces I'll make sure to chime in.

I think the problem with the whole UX/UI discussion is that they've been so vague about what their product does (it's a compression algorithm, but that can be applied in a million ways) that everyone is confused (as mirrored in the show) about what the product is. The problem isn't that the UI is too complex (it is, but that's not the issue), the problem is that we don't know what the product actually is and what it's supposed to do for the end users.

Anyway, ya'll are being real nerds about the intricacies of board rooms, shares and contract law, stop being so precious about your nerd poo poo, we get it!

A good UI would clarify what the product is dumbshoe. Excel is a good example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

We don't know what the user interface is like, we have a screenshot from the promotional website to go on. But based on the reactions in the test group, Monica's reaction, and everything else the show itself has shown us (not including the supplemental marketing poo poo we've seen) the actual product/service is unknown. For all we know they problem isn't the UI, the problem might be that they're marketing to the wrong people, or the software doesn't work for what they're trying to do, or it's doing too much, or too little, or X or Y. We have no idea because the show has not given us enough information.

The screenshot we see looks like a compression program of some kind, but all the discussion on the show seems to indicate it's a dropbox like service, but also at times like some kind of streaming service. I'm just saying it makes no sense to argue about what they're doing wrong, because the show hasn't explicitly stated what is wrong with what they're doing.

No the problem was the interface turns out lol loving nerds are so out if touch with reality.

• Locked thread