Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

The one thing that really stuck with me is that Jack is kinda right. By all accounts the bubble is about to burst and there's no longer space or time for "grow now, monetize later" unicorns that can just rely on VC money to cover their lack of profits.

I mean, he's sill basically destroying Pied Piper and turning it into a code-for-hire operation, but he's right.

They had the time, but then they blew all their money on their fancy new office and expensive sales force. Richard had the right idea, keep expenses and headcount low, so you can last as long as possible without chasing short term revenue to survive. Now that the money has been spent the clock is ticking, they have to get a lot more money fast or they die. This is by design, Jack doesn't want to spend years slowly growing the company the right way, he wants to cash out and move on, and it's not a big deal if the company fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

enki42 posted:

The real idiocy was actually explained super well - it's incredibly difficult to start at enterprise and move out to consumer. Enterprises are immediately going to push you in a direction that is CRAZY far away from what you would probably want to do if you were a consumer app, and in all likelihood make it complex and unintuitive. The features that they killed in order to sell to enterprise are exactly the sorts of things that get kiboshed when you start chasing big contracts, and suddenly have to deal with crazy labyrinthe non-sensical security requirements that differ from customer to customer, inability to leverage the data your app works with, intense suspicion of anyone who sells any version of their product for less than $1,500 a month, etc.

Plus you're swimming with sharks in that world, and being able to compress a little better is an afterthought feature compared to all the certifications, audits, case studies and consultants the big guys are going to throw at customers.

Add in the fact that enterprises take forever to actually decide to buy your product and even longer to actually pay. Once the decision maker agrees to buy the product, it could easily be six months before the cash is in the bank, and that could be fatal for a cash poor startup.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't think she's an assistant, more of a deputy or an associate. It's common for investment groups to get more than one board seat.

Plus, Richard specifically asked for her on the board as a condition of accepting their funding deal.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

I kind of "get" snapchat. Its original gimmick was that the messages aren't saved; but now that it saturated the market, its continuing value has more to do with its face filters and people/organizations building their brand by "broadcasting" their daily or live messages.

I was skeptical of snapchat like everyone else. Then again, I thought Twitter was dumb. (I still think it's dumb but for totally different reasons now.)

The fun part is that Snapchat actually saves everything. In general, once something is in the "cloud" it is nearly impossible to actually delete it. The celebrity nudes that leaked a while ago were supposedly "deleted" from Apple's servers, and Ashley Madison had an option where you paid them to "permanently delete" your profile.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Laurie is just a rational capitalist, of course she will get the best deal she can. She's not funding Pied Piper to Make The World A Better Place™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
It's tempered by the fact that even if they fail they can all easily get office jobs and make six figures.

• Locked thread