Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Considering each season is so short and the main cast is so large I'd bet the problem is just not enough time/room for more characters that aren't critical to the main storyline. I'm surprised the bighead stuff is still so prominent, so I assume it will have some bigger plot impact this season (or next?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrunkPanda posted:

Real talk, I work at a tech company and the CTO that was around since the beginning and basically invented everything for the company quit pretty recently, due to the sales people focusing too much on trying to monetize everything and destroying the R&D budget. I'm starting to think I'm watching a tv show of my life :stare:

enki42 posted:

Haha, I know the feeling. Except in my case I was the CTO who quit. This show is so shockingly accurate at times it's downright uncomfortable, right down to crazy "moonshots" teams. It's that special sort of uncomfortable where you can't even really mention how close to home it is without insulting some of the people who have obvious counterparts in the show.

I nearly quit watching the show this episode, it suddenly became unfunny. The line about the product being the company stock nearly made me cry.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

My theory is that this is all an autistic boy's dream.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

That just seemed like a weird deal. They make the box for this other company who then controls the algorithm and gets to resell the box? That makes no sense other than from a "makes any amount of money now" perspective.

This is almost exactly what my company did back during the dot com boom, we licensed our software and made a box for one large car manufacturer. It's scary how real most of this poo poo is, Mike Judge knows his poo poo.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Avasculous posted:

I'm sure there's other possible reasons, but remember that Jack earlier predicts that tech is in a bubble and Richard's 4 years to market plan is unworkable. Passing the buck and cashing out makes perfect sense in that context.

Based on the way our contracts limit our ability to engineer certain things that seem like common sense, I've had a suspicion for a long time that we're just collecting contracts so that we look more enticing to potential buyers. Basically, they've been trying to sell this company for a long time, making poo poo rear end deals that hinder us technically for the quick buck. But maybe that's just how business works, what do I know, all my business ventures have failed and I've had lovely ideas like "no overage charges".

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Consistent coding style is irrelevant as long as the logic of the function is not obscured.

A good coder should be able to read and modify code whatever style it's in.

It's no surprise that bigger companies are more anal about coding styles - they've also got the bloated management and disparate teams that move at a glacial pace and noone communicates what actually needs to be done because they spend all day worrying how their code is formatted.

It's not about being "a good coder", if you don't follow a style guide you're asking for unreadable hard to maintain code.

Google's style guide explains why you would write C++ a certain way:
https://google.github.io/styleguide/cppguide.html

Have you ever had to maintain code where all the functions and variables were variations of "a, a2, d3" etc.? Where half the code was in a single never ending line "if(a=b){print($b);$c=$b}function($c){$d=fopen($c);...". People literally write code like this, it's not anal, it's rational.

Anyway, tabs for life. Let everyone adjust their IDE to make things look how they like, using spaces enforces your style on everyone else.

I love that a TV show can have this argument, it's too real!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

TheBlackVegetable posted:

"As long as the logic of the function is not obscured". Your examples clearly obscure the logic, tabs vs spaces does not.

I can read it just fine, you must be a bad coder.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tim Raines IRL posted:

One reason a consistent whitespace strategy among teams is important is because depending on the code review process* you're using, if the text editor you're using reformats all the whitespace to be different than what's already in the repository, then it can look like every line in the file has changed and needs to be reviewed. Github has some workarounds but I think it's okay to be somewhat anal on this (not to your girlfriend, clearly).

* I realize many of you are probably saying "code review! Hah! Spoiled unicorn bullshit", and I am shaking my head softly...

But the code looks different when other people open it, I can't have that!

quote:

I would have to open up code using other people's editors and they'd have their tab widths set all sort of loving nonsense like 8 character width so just using spaces kept it consistent.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

How can I tell the difference? It all looks the same, after I compile the post.

You can tell when I make an angry post about it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Veskit posted:

Ohhh hey, I just took a break from the thread once people brought up kneepad theory, how have things been since.... :yikes:

poo poo got real

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

It's a nerdy show about nerd stuff and you expected to not see nerd stuff in the thread?

I really don't see what non-nerds get out of the show, I have to explain to my wife a bunch of the jokes and references. I'm really happy there's a comedy show on TV that's aimed at tech people. As opposed to shows like big bang theory who are for people who hate nerds or who call themselves nerds because they spend all day on facebook.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'm talking about the show overall, not the specific scene about Slack. Though I don't see how that line would have been funny to anyone who doesn't know what Slack is. She just said "I passed on Slack" and that means nothing to anyone not in the field.

I'm mostly talking about how poo poo like the whole episode around code formatting, the stuff that people in this thread don't enjoy talking about.

edit: I'd also like to point out, it does work on another level for people in the industry. To the people that enjoy it because they like watching horses gently caress it's a different show I'm sure, but to me I've met a lot of people just like that. I've had conversations with marketing people that mirror the show exactly. There are lots of things in the show that are extremely on point.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 9, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Veskit posted:

There goes IT again acting like they know what they're talking about.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/01/slack-raises-200-million-at-3-8-billion-valuation/

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-canceled-8-billion-slack-bid-due-to-bill-gates-and-satya-nadella-pushback-2016-3

If you follow business at all then you've heard about Slack just via how much money they've been worth lately. IT WAS A BUSINESS JOKE NOT AN IT JOKE YOU loving NERD

You've really shown me that a "cloud collaboration software company" isn't a tech thing... :smug:

I guess I'll just be a NERD about it, it hurts so much!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

We use context clues and basic common sense to get the joke. Like, when she says "I passed on Slack", I got the joke, even though I don't know what language it is coded in, or the intricacies of IRC protocol. I got the joke because I had heard of Slack in the past, and understood the punchline was that she had passed on a very successful company. And that other episode was not about code formatting. That was just the minor, dumb topic that drove the joke of Richard being an OCD weirdass.

I know it might suck finding out that this show wasn't written specifically for IT nerds, and these jokes are understood by people outside your field :shrug:

You watch a show about tech nerds and you've heard of slack before? Maybe you're the demo for the jokes...

edit: also, maybe to you it was a joke about Richard being an OCD weird rear end, but CLEARLY to a lot of us in this thread it's a contentious point and it's funny that this argument was brought up on a mainstream TV show. It's a different level for us, same with the line about emacs vs vi, it is funny to us in a different way.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 9, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe HBO or Showtime will make a comedy about financial advisors so I can sit in a TVIV thread and talk about the difference between preferred stock vs bonds as an income tool. Then again I probably wouldn't since I'm able to separate my job from my entertainment/personality.

Good for you, I'm sure a lot of finance people would love a show centered around what they do for a living.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

And just like this show it wouldn't be written only for finance/bankers to enjoy. Otherwise it would basically be like watching a training video.

To some people SV is like watching a training video, they don't give a poo poo about this nerd poo poo. If this show were written to appeal to a wide audience it would just be the big bang theory.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

ew man, stop investing so much of your ego and self-worth into a show. It doesn't make you any less of a brilliant IT technician if people outside your field can also get the jokes.

Maybe I'm just enjoying the show differently than you guys, it's clear you guys don't seem to like it the same way since you keep asking for the thread to be closed.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ok, maybe to get some actual discussion about the show, I'm wondering how they're going to end the season. Obviously, there's foreshadowing that the launch isn't going to go as well as Richard thinks it will, but I can't see it being a total clusterfuck. I am actually hoping they finally, and permanently, move HQ to a real office building. They've moved out and back in twice, and they really need to show them making some sort of progress. They can get the Japanese gardener guy back!

If this is anything like what I've experienced in real life, there will be a lot of hype in the company, testers, partners and everyone even tangentially connected to it. But it will be a complete flop, they will se no hype or movement in the public and everyone will be dumbfounded. They've been in a bubble thinking this product launch is the most important thing, thinking people are clamoring to get their hands on it, but everyone will have forgotten about them. The tech awards give them a false sense of importance but because it took more than 2 weeks to go live the media has moved on.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I thought this was a good read

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley?mbid=social_facebook

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Electromax posted:

drat, just go all the way and get some of those tennis shoes that have the deployable wheels in the soles.

Wrong, he has already gone all the way, deployable wheels are a half measure!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Strawman posted:

Act like racist pricks?

Aren't all Mexican immigrants rapists according to you people?

These guys are intolerant assholes, they were mad at nerds for enjoying a TV show earlier. What do you expect? What kind of dumb poo poo American actually believes people wish their country were America?

Erlich barely did anything, he hosed himself over because he didn't review the finances before going on a spending spree. He's already lost out on 4+mil because of his stupidity, I give him a pass because he's as dumb as Bighead, he just doesn't know it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

I still maintain that tabs vs. spaces was actually good. :colbert:

Also, I don't think Bighead actually gives a poo poo about losing his money. It was always about the cannon balls, always.

That's what I think, he seems as happy as he was when he was a millionaire. As long as he has a big gulp in his hand I don't think anything will affect him.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah me too, but they didn't name drop a small tech thing so the thread is super quiet.

The next time they talk about tabs vs spaces I'll make sure to chime in.

I think the problem with the whole UX/UI discussion is that they've been so vague about what their product does (it's a compression algorithm, but that can be applied in a million ways) that everyone is confused (as mirrored in the show) about what the product is. The problem isn't that the UI is too complex (it is, but that's not the issue), the problem is that we don't know what the product actually is and what it's supposed to do for the end users.

Anyway, ya'll are being real nerds about the intricacies of board rooms, shares and contract law, stop being so precious about your nerd poo poo, we get it!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Veskit posted:

A good UI would clarify what the product is dumbshoe. Excel is a good example.

Excel is a good example of what exactly?

We don't know what the user interface is like, we have a screenshot from the promotional website to go on. But based on the reactions in the test group, Monica's reaction, and everything else the show itself has shown us (not including the supplemental marketing poo poo we've seen) the actual product/service is unknown. For all we know they problem isn't the UI, the problem might be that they're marketing to the wrong people, or the software doesn't work for what they're trying to do, or it's doing too much, or too little, or X or Y. We have no idea because the show has not given us enough information.

The screenshot we see looks like a compression program of some kind, but all the discussion on the show seems to indicate it's a dropbox like service, but also at times like some kind of streaming service. I'm just saying it makes no sense to argue about what they're doing wrong, because the show hasn't explicitly stated what is wrong with what they're doing.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well that's the next time they get another wave of funding. Maybe they're projecting something like 750k downloads with 250k daily users.

That's still an incredibly high percentage of conversions.

smg77 posted:

So it's like Google Wave?

Maybe, solving a problem nobody had

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 23, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

edit: quote is not edit

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's a normal percentage out of curiosity? Monica said 20% would be "really bad," but that honestly didn't sound too bad to me.

It all depends on the type of product/service, but 20% would be amazing pretty much anywhere. If you could convert above 5% you're a god.

edit: quick google search finds this article about prime vs non-prime conversions, they say average is about 3.32% for the top 500 merchants and that sounds about right to me.

https://www.internetretailer.com/2015/06/25/amazon-prime-members-convert-74-time

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

Hold on, can someone do a breakdown of who owns PP exactly? How many shares does each of the characters own? I completely lost track at this point, with all the buy-outs and buy-ins.

All the Raviga shares and board seats belong to Bachmanity, which I guess is split evenly between Erlich and Big Head.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rexides posted:

Overall I think I'll echo some other people's opinions that the show has lost it's original spirit. It used to be an underdog story about a group of flawed people that you wanted to root for anyway because they were up against indomitable giants of the industry who were drunk on their own self-importance. It was the kind of story that allowed scenes like Erlich taking revenge on the kids who bullied Ritchard to feel funny and heartwarming instead of just absurd.

I think the problem is that you think this is a different industry. Over the years I worked for basically nothing chasing one "great idea" after another and never got anywhere. One company I worked for was acquired twice while I worked there, so over 6 or 7 months I had 3 totally new sets of business cards, email addresses and managers. I was kinda forced to quit because everyone that was working with me on the project I was hired for cashed out.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The problem is that the story seems to be just spinning and nothing [lasting] is ever happening. They're still in startup mode with a million dollar idea struggling to get money to build that million dollar idea. Every win they make ends up being one or two steps back.

The last company I worked for just went through their like 4th or 5th round of funding and it's been around since at least the 90s boom...

Boris Galerkin posted:

Don't get me wrong the show is hilarious cause the actors kill it but at this point I can't really say that the story is actually good because it's in the same exact state as it was in in season one.

Now you get the tech industry!

Personally I just laugh and laugh, for the same reason it was funny at the beginning, they think they just need to do this one thing and it'll all work out. I know some people that hit it big, but I know a lot more who keep chasing the dream and probably suffer because of it. Nowadays I just make sure to get as much money as possible in base pay and say gently caress you to anyone that tries to sell me on potential.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

The Dave posted:

Well both things can be true. I agree I work in tech and the constant upwards / downwards trajectory is very realistic, that doesn't mean people enjoy watching it.

I just think it's pretty funny that people are complaining about how unrealistic the storyline is. There are plenty of reasons not to like it, it being unrealistic is probably the lowest on that list. It's also really funny to me that people are frustrated that they keep starting at 0, since that's the most realistic part of this show to me.

The Dave posted:

Personally I haven't felt like it's lost and steam and how successful they are doesn't impact what I find funny on the show.

I agree, I just like watching these guys jump through all the hoops, make all the mistakes and keep doing it obliviously like their real life counterparts do. Especially when they're doing it so sincerely, like Gavin chastising Richard for doing what Gavin does every moment of his life.

Phenotype posted:

After four seasons, even if there's a good chance a real life startup would still be treading water, I would still like my TV show plot to have moved forward a bit. Maybe it's accurate, but it's not nearly as compelling to watch as it would be if they'd just stop hitting the reset button every few episodes.

I just think people get different things out of this show, I think the setting is just a great place for comedy, it doesn't really matter to me if they "win" or "lose" because nobody wins these things... well I guess the bigheads of the world do. You can't really hate them for just happening to win. It's almost zen-like, stop trying to succeed and you will succeed. (not that everyone that succeeds didn't do anything to deserve it, it's just that you could do everything to deserve it and still end up at 0)

Phenotype posted:

I'm reminded of this article I read a while ago where the producers talked about how sometimes the weird reality of Silicon Valley just couldn't make it onscreen because it was too out-there for a TV show. Something about a CTO coming into a board meeting on rollerblades. Does anyone have the link?

https://gizmodo.com/real-life-silicon-valley-is-too-weird-for-the-show-1781742634

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Spoiler everything. spoiler nothing. you can't win.

I think the trick is to spoiler only things that would spoil the show if they were revealed prematurely, like plot points aka "spoilers".

I think the show will be fine whatever they do, they could get rid of pretty much everyone except Richard and I think the show wouldn't suffer. It would just be another curve ball and at this point there's no reason to expect anything else.

TJ Miller is a fine part of the show but the only actor I'd really miss is Zack Woods, he's the constant source of laughs for me in this show. Me and my wife want to make a shirt with just his face captioned "What is my life?"

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Snak posted:

The worst is when you're working in some language where whitespace is actually part the code, like Python, and they get mixed, and then you load it into an editor with a different tabs to spaces conversion and you're just hosed.

Edit: I'm very torn on Richard's views, because I do orefer tabs over spaces, but I also use vim over emacs.

Can we be best friends?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

His character in The Office was pretty bad, and even then he had some really good moments. He's been delightful in everything else I've seen him in, like The League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

Seconded. I still don't know what the endgame is gonna be.

I think this season is supposed to be showing what slow growth/being underfunded is like at a tech startup, which is probably the most common and boring side of the business.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 7, 2017

• Locked thread