Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I think Omar cribbed his badass line from a quote by some Roman consul or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
the actual Reviga PR rep that Richard was supposed to talk to was really hot, who is that actress

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Richard isn't that funny but I also agree with whoever said that Bachmann is getting a little old, I miss Peter Gregory he was really funny, I still sometimes will think of "Billions of breadings!" and "these burgers of which they are I presume...King?" and laugh to myself

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
whoaaaa interesting

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
This thread is loving unreadable for non-nerds

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

ElCondemn posted:

I really don't see what non-nerds get out of the show, I have to explain to my wife a bunch of the jokes and references. I'm really happy there's a comedy show on TV that's aimed at tech people. As opposed to shows like big bang theory who are for people who hate nerds or who call themselves nerds because they spend all day on facebook.

I'm not a tech person and I enjoy the hell out of the show. Most of the jokes make sense to people who have sat in front of a computer and know what hard drives are. You don't have to be an experienced software engineer to get the jokes. Most of the discussion in this thread is grade A autistic bullshit, though

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

ElCondemn posted:

I'm talking about the show overall, not the specific scene about Slack. Though I don't see how that line would have been funny to anyone who doesn't know what Slack is. She just said "I passed on Slack" and that means nothing to anyone not in the field.

I'm mostly talking about how poo poo like the whole episode around code formatting, the stuff that people in this thread don't enjoy talking about.

We use context clues and basic common sense to get the joke. Like, when she says "I passed on Slack", I got the joke, even though I don't know what language it is coded in, or the intricacies of IRC protocol. I got the joke because I had heard of Slack in the past, and understood the punchline was that she had passed on a very successful company. And that other episode was not about code formatting. That was just the minor, dumb topic that drove the joke of Richard being an OCD weirdass.

I know it might suck finding out that this show wasn't written specifically for IT nerds, and these jokes are understood by people outside your field :shrug:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

ElCondemn posted:

I really don't see what non-nerds get out of the show, I have to explain to my wife a bunch of the jokes and references. I'm really happy there's a comedy show on TV that's aimed at tech people. As opposed to shows like big bang theory who are for people who hate nerds or who call themselves nerds because they spend all day on facebook.

ElCondemn posted:

edit: also, maybe to you it was a joke about Richard being an OCD weird rear end, but CLEARLY to a lot of us in this thread it's a contentious point and it's funny that this argument was brought up on a mainstream TV show. It's a different level for us, same with the line about emacs vs vi, it is funny to us in a different way.

ew man, stop investing so much of your ego and self-worth into a show. It doesn't make you any less of a brilliant IT technician if people outside your field can also get the jokes.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
to be honest, If I lived in a judgement-free zone I'd probably own a pair of rollerblades

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
So the "we forgot to add a TOS signature page" issue is how they get everyone back together. I agree with some people that it is annoying how they just keep running in circles with the startup growth plot but the jokes are so good, who really cares

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Some of Richard's scribblings about his new internet, they were dismayed because it's a weird, dumb parting gift

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
to be perfectly honest, the best Erlich got was very early on in Season 1 when he went on the shroom vision quest and sat in the desert babbling techno jargon while hallucinating logos. that is still probably the funniest scene in the show to me.

technologeeeezus...oh gently caress!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

theflyingexecutive posted:

We have no idea because the piece was farted out on ten minutes with no editorial review and no request for comment from the actors, writers, producers, nor showrunners. Also like you pointed out, she ignores anything that doesn't support her hot take

Lol "as valid". Pretty sure people who actually work on a piece of art have a better viewpoint than a career critic

If that article can blithely cherrypick supporting facts, I can too except I'm a random internet rear end in a top hat and not trying to pass off my dumb posts on a legit news site

Well there's no specific response because the author posted a hot take masquerading as journalism

I love articles that don't even try to get comments from the writers or actors. Here's a quote from Jimmy Yang about how his character is an expression of his experience as an East Asian immigrant to America:
"I asked Jimmy O. Yang whether he had qualms about playing a character who speaks broken English in Silicon Valley. "I did have an accent," he said. "I moved here when I was 13, and I went to school with guys like that, I was a guy like that. Jian Yang was me ten years ago. Real people have accents. I don't judge them. I just try to play the role as realistically and truthfully as possible.""

are you ok? It's just a blog post

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
No doubt. I just enjoy seeing pasty rear end goons like you get red faced over a stranger's opinion on a TV show

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

get that OUT of my face posted:

For me, it's not that it's someone's opinion. What I don't like about it is that this exact thrust has been regurgitated multiple times on several different websites. The article itself was written nearly identically to other Silicon Valley outrage essays, tailored to generate site traffic, and intended to make you feel bad for liking a TV show, as if tastes are universal and handed down by the council of high and mighty internet pop culture critics. It's not a Silicon Valley thing, it's a thinkpiece thing, and in spite of the name, there's very little thought put into them.

Judging by the banner at her baby shower, somebody named Garcia.

It's best to ignore outrage from people who you disagree with, especially on dumb topics like a mike judge tv show, otherwise it's a long and angry life

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I didn't know that article existed, but it's a wonderful validation of what I've been seeing. I am pretty much ready to burn the internet down at this point. Cheesy Wonder Woman pun on my facebook feed? Decried for being anti-woman. Someone said "Happy Memorial Day" to you? Here's an article they should read. Share a post about a good dad? Someone will say it shouldn't be remarkable when someone is a good dad. It turns out Kate Upton is attractive? This is body shaming someone I've never heard of. All day, every day.

Pick up some hobbies

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
??

Never seen you post before, but that was a long sad screed and I want you to feel better friend

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Why do computer dweebs call routers pineapples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

BonoMan posted:

Ok it's actually more Dada than it is absurdism. Because he is not going for the same thing Mel Brooks and WB cartoons are. They may be absurd as in "over the top" but he's on the Dada side of things which is "rejecting reason and logic."

he's a grade A cornball

• Locked thread