Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

EugeneJ posted:

I visited Palo Alto for the first time a few weeks ago - the show needs more Asian girls if it wants to be realistic

Or just more east Asians in general. They're a huge proportion of the Silicon Valley workforce, yet all we see is FOB-y Jian Yang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm going to pretend Bighead is based on Marissa Mayer.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And everyone who hasn't signed yet realizes that they can negotiate for more, and Hooli's 'savings' turns into a loss.

Well the $20 million is hush money because Hooli promoted him as this visionary genius when he's just a below average worker. I don't think they're offering hush money to anyone else they're firing.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Seems like the most obvious business model for a groundbreaking compression algorithm is patenting the heck out of it and licensing it ala the various patent pools for h.264, h.265, etc..

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Talorat posted:

Apparently the client side implementation can be run in javascript or something.

Then anyone on the client side can see their compression algorithm, no? I realize I'm thinking way too hard about a fictional TV sitcom.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

I think it'd be funny if Jian Yang joins Bighead's incubator and immediately launches an amazing startup so Bighead can fail up some more.

Maybe not Jian Yang, but it's pretty certain that one of the startups in Bighead's incubator is going to hit it big.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Holyshoot posted:

Acquit doesn't even make sense. Why was that even a theory.

Because people on the internet are dumb.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

At least now Big Head owns half of that case.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Medullah posted:

In ago seriousness though what kind of Luddite uses spaces

Yeah. Who the gently caress uses spaces?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

the great deceiver posted:

Ahaha I don't know real-life SV well enough so I figured he was based on like Sean Parker or someone but knowing he's based on Mark Cuban just made Russ even better for me. Your mom is is Napa for a few hours with her friend Philip.

It's probably a composite based on Cuban, Parker, Sacca, etc. type of characters

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Holyshoot posted:

No Jin Yang the past two episodes. WHAT IN THE gently caress!

He's just been in his room the last 2 weeks chain smoking.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I was expecting Big Head to receive a call from Gavin throwing ridiculous amounts of money at him to lead the EndFrame team when Gavin realized how far behind they were compared to Pied Piper.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

At the very least Erlich could've refinanced his house to pay his debts.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Phenotype posted:

Yes, and I've been saying this since season 1 -- Comcast/Time Warner et al would pay out the nose to basically double or triple their bandwidth. They should also be pairing up with the team behind something like VLC media player or Windows Media Player to create the next-gen replacement for the mp4/mkv video formats, a PP-powered mp5 that's half as big as current video files and decompresses instantly when played. Or with Microsoft themselves to make PP compression/decompression the new standard in modern OSs, and completely replace rar/zip usage.

Having an online platform where users upload their own data and storing it for them on the cloud in a sort of compressed Dropbox is probably the dumbest use of the technology I can think of, actually. Even the Box seemed more useful and marketable. But this is a TV show.

Agreed. I think I posted a while back about how their best play was probably applying their compression technology to video and licensing it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

There's definitely more than some of Sean Parker as portrayed in The Social Network in Russ Hanneman.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

This is basically Milton getting moved to the basement all over again.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

PostNouveau posted:

So the box then?

Not even a box. Just patent the poo poo out of it and license middle out like MP3/HEVC/etc.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

They're a scourge here in Minneapolis. Everybody hates them.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Bape Culture posted:

Is jiang yang a millionaire now then?
Are the writing him out? ☹️

He's still got a year's worth of free rent at Erlich's, so maybe he'll stick around. Or maybe he'll start his own incubator to compete with Erlich? The possibilities are endless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

TJ Miller, this is you as an old man. I'm ugly and I'm unemployed.

• Locked thread