Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Binary Logic posted:

Anyone know the type of glowy green keyboard Gilfoyle uses?

Given that it's been noted Gilfoyle uses a PC while everyone else uses Macs, and green is kind of a Razer staple, I'd assume it's a Razer keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I still think that potato gun's going to spur the idea for some low-cost micro-satellite launching system. The Hooli Spudalite System, and they'll be forced to pay Bighead royalties.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

What I don't get, is that it seems Gavin decided to pull the "I SHALL HAVE MY REVENGE" gambit before he even signed the "we're sorry we almost shitcanned you" contract they were pitching.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I can't believe no one in that focus group didn't bring up dick pics.

"You mean everyone has a part of my dick?"

"...or my tits?"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 21, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"So yeah, hey...we're going to basically be starting from scratch on a completely new product, meaning these past three seasons have meant nothing and we can go through all the same drama and wacky antics all over again!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

And what will Bighead be?

CSO.

Chief Snack/Soda Officer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So Alamo Drafthouse is doing a pre-showing of the first two episodes of Season 4 with a Livestream afterwards this coming Tuesday night. I only found out by checking the calendar of my local one - it's $5 for admission, but that's reimbursed in the form of a food and beverage voucher. You might have to register for their "Victory" program to get access to it, but that's free.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, so without spoiling anything: they listened to everyone's collective gripes.

Also, they only have four episodes canned and ready as of this moment - 5&6+ are still in some measure of post-production.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 19, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mrmcd posted:

I am sad I don't get to see the episodes three days early this season. :(

Also someone make a new thread?

As of this past Tuesday, they only had four episodes of this season completed. The rest were all in some form of post-production. That's one way to keep them from leaking en masse, I suppose.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

The full-on callback to the Hooli Phone focus group was great.

That's the scene Mike Judge said had him laughing his rear end off - he was behind the glass when "Gavin" started pounding on it.

At least now I can say something in here since I didn't trust myself to spoil something.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 1, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Large corporations never have to pay out fines that big. They settle with the government for pennies (or often fractions thereof) on the dollar because the private sector has better lawyers and lobbyists.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

priznat posted:

Kinda surprised Dinesh wasn't rockin a big gold chain with that blazer.

He's Pakistani...not *Persian*. If he were the latter he'd have immediately bought a white BMW on credit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah seems like a good idea

But, you see, that doesn't win Richard a Nobel Prize for ~changing the world~, so no, it's a *terrible* idea. It is becoming kind of clear that even though he's socially awkward, the sole anima driving Richard is that he wants to be 'that guy on the stage' from the very first episode. "Let's all recognize his genius and clap for an hour like they do in North Korea!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, the ~wheels within wheels~ thing here is that at his core, Richard is just another Gavin Belson-to-be. Pretty sure this series is going to end with Jared smothering Richard to death with a pillow because he realizes his grand hope to hitch his wagon to a 'better and kinder' Silicon Valley demagogue just created another lovely emotionally-bankrupt one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

It'll either lead to nothing, or Jian Yang will get rich down the line by appealing to the bizarre tastes of Silicon Valley egotists.

Jian Yang will develop a "Can I Uh Smoke Here" (the "Uh" is very important) app that uses your phone's GPS to determine if you're legally allowed to smoke in that specific place, and where the closest place you *are* allowed to smoke is and how to get to it. He'll be hailed as a visionary for keeping smokers away from Californians who want healthy lungs, and celebrated by smokers for keeping them away from complainers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fututor Magnus posted:

Now all Richard has left is to hope that Peter Thiel notices his new internet nonsense and tosses him a couple million a la urbit

And he keeps asking Jared to give him his blood for ~reasons~, constantly leaving Jared a pint or two low and loopy as gently caress as a result.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/SiliconValleyHBO/comments/22ef88/always_blue/

:sigh:

There's this thing called Google, it's useful.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

Is there a playlist out there of all the songs that have been on the credits for Silicon Valley?

According to Mike Judge, evidently some of the songs that have been on the credits either were never released or are debuts of songs that aren't even fully finished yet, so the newer the episode, the harder it'd be to nail down a full list.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pentyne posted:

He's absolutely going to start receiving offers from Stanford, MIT, Caltech etc. thinking its for a degree program not realizing they want him as a tenured professor. Then he'll end up accepting honorary degrees because he doesn't think they really mean anything since you don't earn them.

"The 'Sore-Bon' wants to give me an honorary degree. Do they even *have* a CS department?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

This is exactly my idea behind it. He'd be fearlessly winging these completely empty self-help style lectures and people will lap it up.

"He's so *humble*!"

I kind of want one of Bighead's former employees to become his own personal Frank Grimes who does nothing but drive-bys him like the "jackass" guy in Happy Gilmore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

AgentF posted:

I'd like Dinesh to get one over on Gilfoyle one day. Gilfoyle is an irredeemable rear end in a top hat and just shits all over Dinesh all day and then usually turns out to be right. That can be good but they've done it enough times now that it's stopped being interesting. Let's see Gilfoyle get screwed over.

Well, he *almost* got screwed over once being the only 'illegal' on the team, but that was resolved quickly because ~reasons~.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Erlich is entertaining but is an irredeemable piece of poo poo. He's a great character but probably the worst person in the show. He made out with his dream Pacific outdoor hangout spot and a Corvette with minimal effort and he still complains. I hope Jared murders him someday.

Evidently a souped-up, $150,000 Corvette, too. I'd imagine driving one of them in the Valley makes you worse than Hitler. Worse even than Russ, because at least his supercars announces he's 'tres comas' rich.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Jared going nuts talking to Richard was very funny, Richard quietly taking the cheese knife away from him was just great.

What was even better was Gavin apparently not even apparently recognizing Jared, like the former Hooli guy didn't. Not even a 'Judas' look.

Also, I'm looking forward to Dinesh's girlfriend destroying everything when Gavin makes Richard's tech some existential threat to the ~free internet~ (like levying a 'technology tax' on everyone who has a smartphone because they're part of the universal network), because *that's* coming. There's no way this doesn't end with the SV equivalent of Mr. Burns' thinking he's doing a good thing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 15, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

He's going to be a Senator by the series finale.

And after the results come in he'll be all "why is everyone celebrating," having been completely ignorant he was even a candidate and then see "projected winner" on the television and go..."oh nooooo..."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Is jiang yang a millionaire now then?
Are the writing him out? ☹️

He'll smoke in the wrong place, get sued, and end up broke again. Anyone who ever gets into business with Erlich gets hosed over, even if it's not directly *by* Erlich.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say they named him Erlich as a play on "Ur Lich," only instead of striving for immortality, he's just out for money and all the poo poo that goes with it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pentyne posted:

Did I miss anything or were the movies Bighead showing all heavily featuring a tech aspect, like You've Got Mail and The Social network. It could seem like he's deliberately showing people those movies to showcase technology connecting people or the immutable nature of the modern internet and have people fall over themselves to talk about how insightful and mysterious he is.

"He was on the cover of Wired, so he must have some x-factor..."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

My buddy thinks the same thing, but that Richard is going to gently caress over all of his friends and partners. I could see it, but it would be out of the norm for this show. My honest guess is they're gonna find a way to end the season like every other season. With the guys clawing their way back up again.

I called it earlier that Jared's either going to kill him or TRY to kill him after learning he's had a hand in turning another SV tech genius into a legendary rear end in a top hat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

priznat posted:

I was thinking that Mia being an elite hacker is purely manufactured by Gilfoyle in order to get Dinesh to poo poo his pants, but then that seems TOO obvious.

I think she'll be integral in getting Richard's new internet to work, but Gilfoyle will be convinced she put all sorts of backdoors in it for herself and go full on ~Aspie OCD freakout~ and tank the launch or say something to the wrong person.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I also love that Richard still hasn't learned from the focus group that he'll have a monumental task in convincing the world to let him use *their* smartphones to run *his* internet, likely by getting them to *voluntarily* download and install something that helps someone other than themselves. That black lady and the team will be the only ones using it because *she* gets it!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

So does anyone else think this will be another season of them getting "the team" back together followed by next year being when everything falls apart? Oh, and Big Head failing up even more.

He's gonna end up as the congressman for Palo Alto and Erlich's going to try to become his Chief of Staff.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

drainpipe posted:

Is Gavin really gone? He was one of my favorite characters. I was actually kinda looking forward to his face turn.

He's going to spend an entire year flying back and forth between China, J-Hole, and Palo Alto. HE HAS TO BE SURE!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Could be worse - Gavin could've said something to the effect of "You've got a brilliant idea, but it seems like anyone who gets close to you suffers and fails, so I'm ~outta here~" and leave us with at least 2-3 episodes of neurotic ~hemming and hawing~ on his part until Erlich says something while high that snaps him out of it and WACKY HIJINKS ENSUE.

The first two episodes had me hopeful they wouldn't just re-tread old plotlines, but yeah, this is feeling too familiar.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Erlich has so far turned Jian Yang into millionaire, Bighead into some sort of genius professor, and Monica into a managing partner at a new VC firm. I hope this series ends with him making everyone around him super successful while he's still living in mediocrity.

He's the Serendipity of Silicon Valley. Insightful and shrewd to everyone, but nothing he thinks up ever enriches himself.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

anime was right posted:

elrich, out of money, decides to sell the house. its bought cash under the guise of foreign investment. the deal goes through and it was jian-yang the entire time. elrich tries to claim squatter's rights but jian-yang has figured out a way to kick him out.

elrich becomes a bum who from time to time shows up and dispenses wisdom.

Or he goes to China to become a "Professional White Person" and ends up being their Jerry Lewis or something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm putting my money on "dies testing a prototype vaporizer."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

T.J. Miller is going full Nick Nolte without having the *young* Nick Nolte phase.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

they need to get john mcaffee or an analog of him on the show as an antagonistic neighbour like busey

I'd say up until recently Gavin was the show's McAfee (and evidently a bit of Peter Thiel, too), and they've already stated that the neighbors are complete shitheels who all consider themselves shrewd ~land speculators~ because they happened to buy houses in what would become extremely valuable real estate. They're all terrible people.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 2, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Jian Yiang makes his octopus recipe app, Erlich in a moment of sentimentality makes one of the recipes, is poisoned, dies.

Or he eats too large of a piece of tentacle, it gets caught in his throat, and when he flails around everyone just assumes he's just really high.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This episode perfectly encapsulates why Richard is destined to be the next Gavin Belson. All he's lacking are sycophants to tell him how great he is on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, there wasn't a lot of good jokes in this one.

Also, the explicit mention that he didn't use a condom sets up a completely unfunny "the lady at the VC firm finds out she's pregnant and Richard gets all ~wacky~ again because he thinks he's the father" arc.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 5, 2017

• Locked thread