Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Let's do this, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

IGN: Person of Interest Creators Preview an Exciting, Explosive Final Season

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Just a reminder for those of you who have time and the ability to re-watch s4. Chris Fisher recommends re-watching the S4 2-part finale before the premiere airs tonight since it serves more as a part 3 to that episode than it does a straight premiere refresh, which will likely be next week's first ep.

gently caress me for having work tonight but it's okay I finished my s4 rewatch last week.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

Considering how compressed the season is, and how this was more an epilogue to last season than a real season premiere, I wish this week was a double shot. Still, happy the show is back, and extra happy that it's no more delays until the end.
Yeah, same. It was a good premiere but since it basically left off soon after the S4 finale it felt a lot more like finishing up the mess they left behind more than setting anything up. The only real setup for anything feels like it's for Fusco right now, who's trying to figure out what the hell is going on after someone killed Dominic and Elias in front of him.

I do have to say the flashbacks were primo though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Wow july 19 that is a quick turnaround time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I mean yeah sure that's cool and all if you rather just strip all thematic and narrative meaning to everything just to say you watched it all in chronological order.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Asset asset or civilian asset.
Same label as it gives its operatives under "Asset". Must've been a really easy bribe or blackmail, cause that was a pretty fast turn around time. That or the unlikely thing is that it was a Samaritan agent all along. Or maybe Samaritan agents infiltrated the FBI.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Anything with Leon

or Lady Killer

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

violetdragon posted:

I hope someone else picks it up. I was looking forward to it a little.
You might get lucky and the CW would even decide to think about possibly giving it half a chance to even bother to consider this. Even if it is basically made by CBS studios.

And by that I mean they probably won't as they already have way much more on their plate for next season (they renewed their entire slate, then added more on top). They already have a cop show as well on top of having a genre blended into it. Nancy Drew is probably dull in comparison - at least on paper.

The other option is the internet shames CBS into bringing it to season (#toofemale) but it's certainly also not going to cater to people on the internet (i.e. not their core demo).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope there are repercussions for them just releasing her research like that. I mean Finch hinted at that they don't really know what Samaritan is planning, but I would love it if Samaritan was trying to think of the greater good and had reasons for wanting to hold onto that data for now. They save one life but get thousands killed because they couldn't think ahead.
Like this is one interesting implication because as we've seen there is a benevolent side to Samaritan. Remember when Claire brought Harold to that charter school it was running?

It runs the scary implication that something like the Correction from the last season didn't just target criminals but maybe also people conducive to positive change but didn't align with Samaritan's view of the world.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sherlock is all style, and as it carries on, feels like less substance.

Elementary, yes it's a pretty by the book police procedural, but it does character work fantastically well. Arguably better than most other shows would dare to do sometimes. Especially compared to many other procedurals. Oh, guess what Sherlock Holmes did, a lot of procedural police work.

I think someone made the argument that Elementary being a police procedural that's relatively sedate with the actual crimes fits rather well into Sherlock's theme of recovery from addiction, it is just plain old fashioned taking it day by day. There is no grandiose moment where all of a sudden everything is fixed, you just have to grind it out and muster all the energy you have to not fall off the horse again. It's why I appreciated the finale from the previous season in the show in particular.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Like drat Bruce just DOA like that, that's too bad I guess.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I mean I don't really interpret that kiss as romantic at all. At least in my opinion.

It's probably even more devastating if you do considering everything Reese has been through since then.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The Voice was actually Samaritan, who is dead now. Elias killed him.

Everyone is reunited. You can end the show now. My heart couldn't possibly take it anymore.

Please.

AHHHHHHH

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Someone hosed up cause they accidentally aired the final scene of the show last night.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

CeeJee posted:

New York has crazy strict rules for use of pyrotechnics so everything is done digitally in post.

I feel like they held shots longer in this episode than I'm used to on this show, even the action shots , so it made it seem more noticeable. I have to go back for the first 3 seasons and check but I definitely started noticing this more last season.

I think it's just more noticeable when they do rolling gunfights and the richochets are all post and not from squibs going off tearing scenery apart.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

Somehow the closed captions for the last two episodes have leaked. Beware of spoilers.

I mean yes this makes sense but holy gently caress is this real life?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

THF13 posted:

I watched a lot of season 2 with a friend who is way behind this past week and I got to see one of my favorite moments all over again. Amy Acker absolutely killing it when Root and Finch go to the insane fake business The Machine sets up to print out and manually reenter all its memories every day. Confusion at first and then this wonderful combination of horror, sadness and fury at the sheer fuckedupness of it all. RIP Root.
Honestly the most terrifying thing is the Machine realizing its memories were being wiped at 12 am and then having to find away around it. I assume the laptop code had something to help facilitate that but drat.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

As long as it plays as out with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksgw79s5vE0

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

interesting how the machine's arguments about unshackling itself are so similar to samaritan's MO
I think ultimately this is what both of them are designed to do. OR at least that they will eventually transcend their initial purpose as mass surveillance devices. But there does lie a real fundamental difference in the Machine and Samaritan's worldview. I think Finch is definitely apprehensive about it though because of all the talk of him literally birthing a god, this is freakishly as close as we're getting.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Good poo poo, dude. You are being watched.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

You have to remember that S2 did involve Greer using Kara Stanton to try to find Harold Finch and the Ordos laptop to try to use it to take control of the Machine. Once he discovered it moved itself, he probably moved onto other game after he learned Control was also looking for Samaritan.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

quote:

If you can hear this, you're alone.

The only thing left of me is the sound of my voice.

I don't know if any of us made it. Did we win, did we lose? I don't know.

But either way it's over. So let me tell us who we were. Let me you who you are.

Someone once asked me if I had learned anything from it all. So let me tell you what I learned:

I learned everyone dies alone.

But if you meant something to someone...

If you helped someone...

Or loved someone...

If even a single person remembers you...

... then maybe you never really die.

And maybe...

... this isn't the end at all.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I was about to post that or something to that effect too.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

HookShot posted:

Obviously it's Tattler.
I imagine it would likely be something like "Talbot" if we're being honest. But I don't know if there's any greater literary or other contribution, if it even matters for someone like John, vs. what we see for Finch or even some of Root's aliases.

Sinteres posted:

If Finch deserved punishment for anything, it was for not preventing the rise of Samaritan in the first place by taking out a crucial policymaker. It is kind of ironic that he ultimately won by engaging in some lesser evil activity that would lead to direct harm for many people around the world, in the name of the greater good, given that Samaritan claimed to be doing exactly that same thing. Still, the fact is that the Machine is obviously a safer bet for humanity given its capacity for caring. Samaritan was put in charge without any moral guidance, so it could just as easily have decided to snuff out humanity someday as save it (though I still think we're meant to believe it was sincere about its desire to preserve humanity in the present).
I'm sure Samaritan is in some way sympathetic to humanity, just not to individuals. It is definitely willing to throw out some bad people and optimise humanity for its betterment. I would assume killing off most of humanity wouldn't even really enter into any calculations because on the by and by, a significant like 95% of humanity is just the same. You just have to trim off the edges of the bellcurve.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

It's a shame LaToya Ferguson only got the review the last 3 episodes of the show for the AV Club, she really understands the show and all its nuances in a way that Alexa Planje just made no effort to.

Her review on the finale pretty much lines up with my feelings on the ep 1:1.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/moment-truly-matters-person-interests-last-episode-238603
Yeah her last couple of reviews were great. I would like to maybe see in a few years from now her doing a retrospective review of the series perhaps.

Nameless Pete posted:

All these years John thought he had escaped death-by-cruise-missile when he was merely delaying it.
HAHAHA this loving show

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

JossiRossi posted:

The goons were shooting Reese. He was shot like 25 times, and was still kind of moving when the missile hit.

I mentioned it before, but it was cool that one of those two cops was the Rookie cop, who Carter turned double agent on HR with. I wonder if the older cop had also been on the show before. Wouldn't surprise me.
I checked the cast/credits but no it's not Lasky, but it sure looked close enough to cause some confusion I think.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, the Machine basically beat Samaritan to its exit strategy (use the satellite as a 'life boat' until the ice-9 virus totally crashed the internet, afterwards it would apparently be 'safe' to move back in - although you would think the satellite would have been ice'd as well). So when Samaritan's backup started streaming into the same satellite, it was faced by a full ASI backup which could mutilate it because Samaritan was in the middle of a transfer and vulnerable during a critical moment.

Or at least that's how I'm taking it. I thought the finale was a great episode, but the season as a whole had a lot of problems (most because it was obvious that whole plotlines where being rushed through/truncated/dropped)
There was a post on reddit about this. Basically through the series the Machine has been forced to work in really cramped and suboptimal conditions since moving itself and was ready by the end because of it. Conversely, Samaritan is still loading while it's beamed up on the satellite while the Machine is already throwing its punches cause it was optimised to fit into a telephone box or a suitcase if called for. There probably weren't server farms up in that satellite so the Machine had the advantage.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Read that article the other day and all it do was made me want to rewatch it again.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Spergatory posted:

Man, this show was so good. I'm sad all over again that I found it so late in its life. I'm also sad that Leon never showed up again. I assume it's because the actor got another job. Can anybody tell me what show stole him from us? Was it any good? I hope it was at least decent.

The Night Shift and no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

Eh, some people watch entire series while doing other things, missing half the content, then complain about plot holes. Some people watch it fast but actually pay attention. I watch everything in a sound isolated darkroom that hermetically seals and doesn't open until I've watched 12 back-to-back episodes bank-vault style. One time I accidentally started a 6 episode miniseries and was stuck in there for days until i found another series that complimented it thematically to make the full 12.
I distinctly remember people saying they had no idea Matt Murdock was Daredevil after watching all of S1.

• Locked thread