Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Get this bird off my nuts: Let's Play Chocobo's Dungeon 2!

Latest update: 30: Domo Arigato, Mister Roboto

Hello, and welcome to Let's Play Chocobo's Dungeon 2!

Released for the Sony Playstation in 1999, Chocobo's Dungeon 2 stars a naive young adventurer with a large appetite who travels around with a spunky sidekick, in a very Saturday morning cartoon-style world. Along their travels they meet up with some new allies, including a young lady from a different time period, and together they all stop a demon based on one of the seven deadly sins from destroying the world. The gameplay focuses on exploration, the characters learn new abilities and power up existing ones by using weapons and magic repeatedly, and it's all set to a nice soundtrack. This all might sound a little familiar at this point. What can I say, I have a type. :v:

Being a Mystery Dungeon game, it uses randomly-generated dungeons and items that have unknown effects until they've been indentified, either via use or magic. This randomness gives it quite a lot of replay value, and it's worth looking for a copy if it sounds interesting. Sadly, it's not available on PSN outside of Japan, but the soundtrack is available on iTunes.

Speaking of, if you've played some of the later entries in the Chocobo series, you may be used to some familiar tunes popping up. Sadly, with this entry... not quite.

If all of those :words: turned you off, you can just watch the attract mode video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9LxIaGwpss

Table of Contents
  1. Intro
  2. Revenge of the Chocobo
  3. Return of the Riposte
  4. Meeting Dagger
  5. Dungeon Depths
  6. Riposte is a Jerk
  7. Electronic Old Men
  8. Cid's Tower, part 1
  9. Cid 2: Electric Boogaloo
  10. Fire Books Can't Melt Steel Towers
  11. Taking Care of Business
  12. Open Carry
  13. Under the Sea
  14. Hot, Wet Nuts
  15. It's Gettin' Hot in Here
  16. Cooking with Fire
  17. Breaking Wind
  18. Never Eat Marine Snow
  19. Talktopus
  20. Grinding Woods
  21. Cleaning Up the Town
  22. Frilly Ribbons
  23. Through the Woods
  24. Clawing up the Mountain
  25. Glass Goth
  26. Back To The Future
  27. Back From The Future
  28. Birds of a Feather
  29. The Two Towers
  30. Domo Arigato, Mister Roboto

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Reserved for future use.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

As is customary in video games, we open with a cutscene.

That sure is some scenery, yep.

I'll say.

: Wait, this must be the entrance to a dungeon! Yes, that's it! I've finally found it! Yep, my gut feeling was right. Yep, that's right...

And we're given the chance to name this Moogle fellow here. Despite the fact that he's already been referred to as "Mog". Anyway, we've got seven characters to work with, but I'll be leaving him with his default name for now.

: Yep, my gut feeling was right.

: Hey... Are you listenin' to me? Hey....

Same deal as before, seven characters, sticking with the default for this update. Don't worry, you'll get to rename these guys before we start playing for real.

Chocobo, being the player character, doesn't actually speak. Instead he just pantomimes, which makes my job a lot easier. :v:

: Chocobo, you weren't listening, were you? Whatever...

And this is Mog's motivation. He's just after the loot.

: Hardly finding any rare items... It's been a long journey...

: As a rare item collector, it'd be such a cryin' shame to pass up a dungeon like this...

: Okay, let's go, Chocobo!

: Wha...! Whatever, let's go!

As might be expected of the treasure-hunter, Mog is kind of a jerk.

: This must be another mysterious dungeon.

: What!? You forgot? In mysterious dungeons, stairs from the previous floor disappear. There may be monsters, too. Despite all that, you can get a lot of rare items.

And here's Chocobo's motivation: dude just wants a snack.

: Alright, let's move it!

: Huh? What now, Chocobo?

: What? Why are you in the lead, you ask?

: That's the way it always is. Come on, Chocobo!

And once Chocobo's done mugging for the camera, we get to play the game. A very short intro sequence, especially once you consider that you can hold L2 to auto-advance the dialog. :v:

The game's interface is pretty simple. We have our current dungeon floor in the upper-left, our current experience level next to that, then our HP, and finally energy at the upper-right.

Energy is our food counter. Every so often, it decreases by one, and once it gets very low we start to lose HP.

The minimap is in the lower-right corner of the screen. Green is walkable areas, blue is where we've already walked, light blue is items, red is enemies, and white is the staircase to the next floor.

Oh yeah, that's a goblin in front of us. As an early-game monster, they don't hit particularly hard, and only have 7-8 HP.

Even after one attack, he's very nearly dead.

Mog decides to show off his special ability right away, and steals a Map Card. I'll go more into stealing later on, but in general each enemy has four steal slots, and Mog is more likely to steal when you have fewer items in your inventory.

Map Cards, by the way, reveal the full minimap.

Memory Tags allow you to save your game when you find the stairs. Most of the dungeons in this game are short enough that saving halfway through isn't really necessary. That enemy on the right there is a Guz. They have less attack and defense than Goblins, and also waste their turns crying when you hit them.

Mind you, they'll still try to fight you.

Mog socks this one upside the head to finish him off. The book on the ground next to him is a Fire Book. Spells are cast from books. Each book has one use, and casts the spell of its associated element. As you cast the spells more, their level increases, dealing more damage and occasionally getting a beefier animation. Fire books are useful later on in the dungeon, though, so we'll be keeping this one.

Using the Map Card shows us the full minimap for this level. Much like NetHack and Rogue, each floor is divided into a grid of potential rooms with connecting hallways. Map Cards are mostly useful if you're just trying to rush through the level, as the 4x3 grid doesn't take very long to manually explore.

Treasure chests are pretty much the same as they are in every other video game. You open them and get stuff from them.

This particular one held a potion, which restores 30 HP when drank. Given our max HP is only 35, it's safe to save this for emergencies. The stairs are just to our south, but there's something I forgot to take care of earlier.

That green thing is a recycle box. You can put two items in, and get a random item out. It's a great way to make those memory tags and map cards useful.

For instance, our memory tags became an empty bottle! Usually you get these by drinking potions, but you can sometimes find them as loot. They're one of the more versatile and useful items in the game.

Bottles can be filled from magic springs, which replaces the bottle with a random potion. They can also be kicked at monsters, which does exactly 4 damage every time. Equipping a bottle (or stone) allows you to kick it just by pressing L1, which saves a bit of time.

Killing monsters also gives you experience points, and once you get enough of those, you level up, which boosts your attack, defense, and maximum HP.

While clearing out the area, we stumble across our first trap, the bounce tile. It launches Chocobo forward a few squares... and that's it. A very gentle introduction to traps.

Especially when you consider the Lost-Child trap right next to it. This trap makes you forget the minimap. Still not dangerous, but quite annoying. Thankfully, we were almost done with this floor anyway.

Since all of the enemies in this part of the dungeon have either 7 or 8 HP, it's easy to just hit them once, and finish them off with a kicked bottle. Why bother doing that?

Because killing an enemy with a bottle will drop an Essence. Each essence type has a different effect when drunk. Critter Essence, for example...

... Is our first unidentified item. Huh. Yep, most items are unidentified when you first pick them up, and are distinguished by "flavors". For instance, un-ID'd potions might be "bubbly" or "glowing", and cards can be "bent" and such. Because we started off with a Map Card and Potion, those two were ID'd for us.

Anyway, Critter Essence restores some Energy. There are certainly worse things out there.

Anyway, enough faffing around. Down the stairs!

Good job, Mog, you've jinxed us.

: Oh shoot! Get down!

: Just do it!

Well, that doesn't sound too dangerous to us.

: It took out that Guz and leveled up! If a monster takes out another monster, it goes up in level! A Goblin becomes a Dark Goblin... We'll never beat it, let's scram!

Pff, says you. I'm sure we can take it.

Look at that, Mog, he can't even hit you.

One thing I've forgotten to mention up to this point is that the game is strictly turn-based. You have as much time to think about your move as you need, but once you either move or attack, everyone else gets their turn, too. Hence why Chocobo needs to kick the air in order for Mog to punch the goblin.

Oh... Well, we've got 70HP between us, I'm sure we can whittle down this guy.

O-oh.

Monsters can also level up by killing your partner. When a monster levels, they're also fully-healed, so watch out for that. But hey, Mog was a thief, and we're clearly some sort of fighter, right? We can take this g-

Oh.

The little bar underneath the enemy is thier ATB gauge. Most monsters have a special move that takes more than one turn to charge, and this lets you keep an eye out for that.

Oh dear.

Welp. That was a bust.

See you next time!

Oh, and don't forget, you can suggest names for our intrepid duo. 7 characters, and please bold suggestions so I can see them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, a monster levelling mechanic. I hated it in Super Mystery Dungeon and I'm sure I'd hate it here too. loving Seadra sniping my guys then evolving and taking the stairs with its new Dragon type.

Our heroes are a thief treasure hunter and someone that gets dragged with them, in a Square game. They must be Locke and Celes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I played this game a bit, but for whatever reason I just had more fun with Azure Dreams. This game has better characters though.

For names, how about Kweh/Query the Chocobo and Riposte the Moogle?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Let me tell you a story. Of a moogle and a chocobo.

They lived in a small sleepy town, set in their small sleepy ways.

Yet the town was in grave danger. A grave danger no one knew.

Except for the moogle.

You see, he had seen them from his bedroom window at night. Giant, tens of stories tall with massive arms scything through the air. He could see them destroying the fields surrounding his home.

The fires they brought to other villages.

Yet no one believed him.

Except his only friend, his chocobo.

Finally after a hard night of training and gathering of his courage, he was ready.

Where no one else cared, he would take a stand. He would protect his home.

Meeting with his friend at the prearranged place early in the morning, the moogle got atop his chocobo.

With a tilt of his battered pail helm and a thrust of his used-broom lance, the moogle bade his friend to ride out into the rising sun.

Into glory.

This is the story of the moogle named Don and the Chocobo named Quixote.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 27, 2016

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Since we've got a three-way tie, I'm gonna let the trusty d6 decide this one.

... And we're going with Kwehry and Riposte! Update should be coming later on today.

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 28, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It was actually supposed to be Kwehry :cheeky:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It was actually supposed to be Kwehry :cheeky:

Y'know, that does make more sense. :v:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Oh jeez, the Chocobo Dungeon games. I think this game was my introduction to Mystery Dungeon type stuff same way FFT was my first real SRPG back as a kid. Looking forward to seeing this.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I suggest Choco and Zidane, just because god drat it FF9 was the best of the main series FF titles on the PS1 and I'll fight anyone in the streets on that.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back! After the unfortunate demise of the previous two adventurers, let's meet their suspiciously-similar cousins from the next village over.

Let's skip past the rest of the cutscene for now. You've seen it already.

What you haven't seen yet, is equipment. Kwehry's weapons take the form of claws. We'll take a closer look at these later, once they've been identified.

Aero is our first spellbook. Each book gives you one casting of its associated spell, and spells power up the more you cast them. It's usually better, therefore, to use them throughout the dungeon instead of hording them all for the boss.

Two books already, and we've barely started to explore this level. I have a good feeling about this one. Junk shelves give you a random item when examined, from spellbooks to potions to rocks.

Ooo, and an unidentified card. Cards have varied effects, so we'll hold onto this one until we can get a better idea of what it might do. The other shelf in here just had a Map card, but that recycle box is looking tempting...

Kwehry dumps his map cards, and picks up another spellbook!

Oh yeah, there's some enemies, too.

Guzzes are about as basic as enemies get. Riposte can steal Identify cards from them, which are very nice to have, as well as lost-child cards, which make you forget the map. They're also nice to have, but for different reasons. :v: They also have a tiny chance of dropping some armor that we'll discuss in more detail if/when we actually pick some up.

Gobbos are a little tougher than Guzzes. Notably, if Riposte yoinks a card from them, you know it has a positive effect. They are also set to have iron saddles, but never drop them.

Wild Rats hit hard and have more HP than their comrades. They can also haste themselves, which gives them two turns for each of yours. Needless to say, this is not a good thing. Riposte can take tonics that cause both haste and slow, so be careful if you chug un-ID'd potions from these guys.

Woo, more cards.

And here we see a status effect trap just before Kwehry sets it off.

Oh, and it's Haste. Yes, sometimes traps give you buffs.

With haste up, enemies take twice as many turns to do everything, including move. This also applies to Riposte, though, so be careful.

That there is a landmine.

They explode, dealing damage and destroying any adjacent items. Usually they also destroy surrounding walls and create a crater, but since this one was too close to the stairs, it didn't.

Hmm. Now we have two rough cards, meaning they're probably one of the more common card types.

A potion and another fire book. With that room looted, I think it's time we perform the time-honored tradition of ID-by-use.

Certain cards will prompt you to choose an item to use them on. Let's choose our digging claws.

And my hunch was correct! Rough cards are now identified as Identify cards. Oh, and we know our digging claws are uncursed.

And there's our patched up card. Like I alluded to earlier, these things are nice to have around, just not to use.

While doing a final sweep around the floor, Kwehry goes up to level 2. And then goes down to level 2.

This scripted event only happens once, so if you get killed by the upgraded goblin, you need to start a new game for your chance at revenge.

Dark Goblins are a pretty beefy step up from the standard variety. Riposte has a tiny chance of stealing a decent claw or saddle from them, assuming he survives long enough.

He does not.

Black Goblins get a huge boost to defense, and a slightly smaller boost to attack. If you can manage to find one with Riposte still alive, you can get yourself some drat fine equipment, especially for this stage of the game. Also of note is the crazy jump in EXP. Kwehry's gonna get him some of that.

Once you've identified a particular card or tonic as harmful, you can kick it at an enemy to make them suffer the effect.

Since enemies forgetting the map would be pointless, it instead prevents them from attacking for a few turns.

During which time, we blast away with our spells.

Avenging Chocobo and Mog gives Kwehry two levels at once. Of course, that wild rat there decides to mess up the celebration.

And eats an Aero for his trouble.

Oh hey, there's the stairs. That was quick. But let's see what else there is on this floor before we leave it behind.

Some armor! Speaking of, I should probably go over the stats on our weapon, huh?

ATK is pretty obvious, it's what the claws add to your attack power. For Saddles, this is defense.

DUR is durability. Every so many uses, the DUR will decrease by one. When it hits zero, the claws break.

Energy determines how quickly you'll lose energy. Higher values cause energy to decrease more slowly.

Toughness is the number of uses needed for durability to decrease.

Level Limit is the maximum bonus that can be applied to the weapon. These claws would max out at +45, giving a whopping 46 attack.

Hit Rate and Critical are pretty self-explanatory. Saddles have these two as Dodge and Special Defense.

Finally, that little rock icon there shows that the claws deal earth-elemental damage. Earth damage on a claw is what causes the "dig through walls" effect mentioned in the item description. Observe.

Before...

... and after.

Breaking walls counts as two uses of a claw, though, so in this case each wall costs 1 durability. Let's keep these claws safe for a rainy day.

And with nothing else of note on the floor, Kwehry descends, alone.

See you next time!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. I imagine a lot of various badstats Chocobo can suffer really just translate as a multi-round stun to enemies.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah, now I get it. I was a lot more conservative with my items (packrat mentality hooray...) so I didn't unlock the full potential of this game.

e: hmm, actually I don't think that was it, I remember using items a lot in Azure Dreams. Maybe I just wasn't liking having to identify items, though I did play NetHack a lot for a while so I don't know what to say

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 29, 2016

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Ah, now I get it. I was a lot more conservative with my items (packrat mentality hooray...) so I didn't unlock the full potential of this game.

That's the mystery dungeon genre for you. It's a rouge-like that isn't mean and obtusely trying to kill a player. I was a literal child when this game found it's way to me and I remember it fondly. The game is forgiving enough with the early game that you don't really need to engage with a lot of the systems to win. It hits a nice balance of having the complicated mechanics that the OP is showing off be incredibly useful, while still allowing an 8 year old with 2nd grade reading comprehension have fun bashing his numbers against the gobbos.

Edward_Tohr, thanks for doing this LP. You are spot on about the Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe this game gives off. I can't wait to see what I remember and misremember about this game.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Only +5 hp from a two-level jump? That's the same bonus you got from your first level, and I don't recall gains normally being that awful. I wonder if it only actually gave you the stats for one level.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm so happy there's another Chocobo thread up. I enjoyed the Chocobo Tales one, and there was an LP for the Wii version that disappeared, so seeing another Chocobo thread is a treat. I've only played the Wii one so I'm excited to see more of Kwehry and Riposte's adventures.

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
If Mog is still alive can the Chocobo die and the game still continue? Or is it only the other way around?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Dander My DOSDruid posted:

If Mog is still alive can the Chocobo die and the game still continue? Or is it only the other way around?

Nope, if Kwehry bites it, you get kicked out of the dungeon and have to start again, no matter how his partner's doing.

Granted, this game doesn't do permadeath, so you're just out whatever items you had kicking around in your inventory, and have to tromp back to where you were when you died in order to grab your equipment.

Since there's a sidequest that specifically involves dying and losing some items, I'll be demoing that when it comes up.

Black Balloon posted:

Only +5 hp from a two-level jump? That's the same bonus you got from your first level, and I don't recall gains normally being that awful. I wonder if it only actually gave you the stats for one level.

I... hadn't noticed that. I'll have to science it.

Glazius posted:

Dang. I imagine a lot of various badstats Chocobo can suffer really just translate as a multi-round stun to enemies.

Oddly enough, most status ailments work the same on enemies as they do on Kwehry. Amnesia is the only real outlier. It's also far and away the most useful.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

e: hmm, actually I don't think that was it, I remember using items a lot in Azure Dreams. Maybe I just wasn't liking having to identify items, though I did play NetHack a lot for a while so I don't know what to say

Don't worry, we'll have hundreds of items in storage by the end of the game. :v:

KirbyKhan posted:

That's the mystery dungeon genre for you. It's a rouge-like that isn't mean and obtusely trying to kill a player. I was a literal child when this game found it's way to me and I remember it fondly. The game is forgiving enough with the early game that you don't really need to engage with a lot of the systems to win. It hits a nice balance of having the complicated mechanics that the OP is showing off be incredibly useful, while still allowing an 8 year old with 2nd grade reading comprehension have fun bashing his numbers against the gobbos.

Edward_Tohr, thanks for doing this LP. You are spot on about the Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe this game gives off. I can't wait to see what I remember and misremember about this game.

Yeah, face-ramming will eventually get your base numbers high enough to get past most of the game. At least until the bonus dungeons. :v:

pichupal posted:

I'm so happy there's another Chocobo thread up. I enjoyed the Chocobo Tales one, and there was an LP for the Wii version that disappeared, so seeing another Chocobo thread is a treat. I've only played the Wii one so I'm excited to see more of Kwehry and Riposte's adventures.

I'd love to do the Wii one after this, but it'd be a blind run. Which honestly probably works just as well. :v:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Kwehry presses on alone, in search of treasure. It's (probably) what Riposte would have wanted.

Critical hits do up to twice as much damage as a normal one. They're a helpful bonus, but probably won't pull you out of a tough spot on their own.

Of course, enemies can get them too. The RNG seems to be sticky, in that you'll often get strings of sequential misses or crits.

Switches are a bit of a gamble. Early on, they're more likely to spawn treasure chests, but they can also drop you down a floor, spawn some enemies, or just do nothing, in addition to a few other, rarer effects. It's still worth it to hit them all, but try to keep close to the room's exit and be prepared for an ambush.

Our haul from the treasure was two saddles and a claw. I'll hold off on equipping them until I can get some ID going. In menus like this, un-ID'd items have a glowy font, while ID'd ones use white text. Note the ID'd saddle that I haven't yet equipped.

Haste. That's good!

Silence. That's bad. Silence prevents you from using spellbooks, so it's best to avoid it if possible.

This seems to be the status effect floor. Confusion essentially randomizes your facing whenever you do something. If there's enemies nearby, spells are your best bet for getting rid of them until you recover. Thankfully it's a short-lived status ailment.

Status ailments overwrite each other instead of stacking, so you don't have to worry about being a poisoned, sleeping, confused, silenced, slowed, tiny frog.

A nearby goblin was kind enough to help us out with our identification issues.

And good thing, too. Our claws are cursed!

Cursed equipment has a penalty to attack/defense compared to uncursed versions, and can't be removed once equipped. In this case, the claws would only provide +2 attack instead of the normal base of +3 for wooden claws.

Yep, our -1 wooden claws still do more damage than our digging claws. Curses aren't so bad this early in the game, and even later on, IIRC, the game will never generate cursed equipment with a bonus (or malus, if you prefer) lower than -1. Plus, there's a tonic that'll fix a curse up right quick. It won't flip the enchantment, but it'll let you unequip the item.

It's around now that I remember that I have a saddle I can equip to reduce some of the damage I've been taking. Also, those chests have yet another wooden claw and saddle. The bookshelf next to the chests will always give you a spellbook when examined.

One of the game's more memorable early-game sidequests involves gathering up seven Thunder books. Another very important sidequest that opens up at the same time requires another. Having all eight by then makes things go a whole lot more smoothly, so Kwehry'll be on the lookout for bookshelves.

Despite our equipment bonanza, Status Effect Central continues on unabated with the introduction of sleep. Sleep is pretty nasty, as Kwehry will snooze on the ground for a few turns, giving enemies free reign to attack. The duration is short, but it's a nasty one.

Sleep traps also don't disappear once they've been triggered. If you're not careful, you can hit the trap every time you enter or leave the room.

Kwehry will also need some essence for the upcoming sidequests. Essences are a little unique, ID-wise. Normally, any items that aren't in your inventory are un-ID'd whenever you leave the dungeon. But once Kwehry finds out what a particular type of essence does, it'll remain identified forever. Goblin Essence, here, restores a bunch of HP when drunk.

Critter Essence restores energy. A sufficiently-resourceful Kwehry can meet all of his dietary needs without needing to rely on lucky potion or nut drops. With that, we're done with the third floor, and are ready to hit those st-

:sigh:

On the fifth floor, we reunite with our pal Riposte! If Kwehry's partner is needed for a cutscene, they'll be revived. Other than that, though, the only way to get them back is to leave the dungeon.

: What? You say we're stuck in here!?

: Hey, you can get through no problem. It looks too narrow, but you can go through diagonally. Come on, move it.

Diagonal movement isn't quite as critical here as it is in other Roguelikes, but it can save you a turn here and there.

Meanwhile, Kwehry stumbles across a mini trap. Mini makes your physical attacks laughably weak. You can get around this by using magic.

Anyway, let't take a closer look at that pointy-looking new guy.

They can curl up to reduce damage taken, and spend a few turns charging to shoot needles in random directions. They're a bit tougher than goblins and such, but still very much an early-game monster.

And finally, after covering the entire rest of the floor with nothing else happening, we run into the other 4F newcomer.

They can drop nuts. They can throw nuts. But, most vile of all, they can eat nuts.

But Kwehry doesn't mind sharing. After all, he can just drink the life energy of the nut eater's friends for sustenance.

Peanuts are the basic nut-type item. They restore about 30 energy. If a Nut Eater gets ahold of a nut, they'll spend a few turns chowing down on it. This gives you free reign to finish them off.

But do make sure you finish them off, or they'll go after your skull next.

Skull Eaters are beefy mofos. They hit almost as hard as the tier-3 goblin, and have more health, despite only being a tier-2 monster themselves. Their nut-thow attack can cause poison.

Poor Riposte doesn't stand a chance.

You'd think that Item Eaters would be the tier-2, and Skull Eaters the tier-3, but I guess not. They can cause confusion with their nut-throw attack, and hit like a truck, but oddly have less HP than Skull Eaters.

Kwehry, forgetting that this isn't Angband, attempts to use the hockey-stick technique to whittle down the dangerous foe. While Chocobo's Dungeon 2 doesn't have the same asymmetrical line of sight trickery that Angband does, it's still possible to confuse the pathfinding algorithm.

It's a little hard to see, but that line of rocks to Kwehry's northwest is just what we need.

We do one lap around, with the Item Eater in close pursuit...

And success! Now he's trapped on the other side of the barrier from us. He can't hit us with any of his attacks, but he's still close enough to blast with spells.

I should probably stress that this sort of "leveling up monsters then killing them with magic" cheese is entirely unnecessary. Arguably, it's even counterproductive, due to the loss of those spellbooks and all. Still, it's a fun gimmick and has a slight chance of getting a good item.

Anyway, down the stairs!

Kwehry's starting to feel a little hungry. Maybe he should have eaten that nut himself.

Oh, hold that thought, new enemy time.

Sometimes they spawn with only 4 HP, meaning they die instantly to a single bottle. They'll charge up to cast a level 1 spell, so try to take them down before then. They'll often drop spellbooks on death.

Currently, for Kwehry, stones do 5 damage. Black mages will never have more than 5 HP.

In a treasure room, we finally have it happen. Something I've been dreading since the game began.

Kwehry runs out of inventory space.

That "18/18" up in the corner shows our current carrying capacity. If we find a Carry Tag, a fairly rare item, we can expand it.

If you can't pick up an item, you can still use it from the floor by standing on top of it.

The faded card is used on another item. This means it's almost-certainly something we don't want to lose. Thankfully, Kwehry has an un-ID'd bleached card that might be helpful.

Oh. Well, once hte confusion wears off, we can pick up the faded card, anyway.

Oh, dammit. That blue smudge there is the first type of teleport trap. It'll send the victim off to a random spot on the current dungeon floor. In this case, it just warped Kwehry one room to the north.

And then Kwehry steps on an Invis trap. Enemies won't notice Kwehry when he's invisible. This is great for avoiding fights, but slightly annoying when you're trying to kill things. The card on the floor there is just a map card.

Map Cards not only reveal the floor's layout, but also the location of all enemies, items, and staircases. Since there's nothing in that room to the north, let's just go down the stairs.

6F has a unique tileset, and revives Riposte.

: It'll stink if it's a trap though...

: But... it just might give me some treasure. Alrighty...

Off-screen, Kwehry kwehs. Or was this back when Chocobos still warked? I forget. Anyway, Kwehry makes a Chocobo noise.

: Hey, Kwehry?

The camera pans around a bit, before...

Kwehry is launched!

Doesn't stick the landing, though. That'll cost him a few points.

Thankfully, though, there just so happens to be a white mage in the vicinity.

Next time:

Anime. So much anime.

Speaking of, our new friend needs a name! As usual, we get seven characters, and please bold suggestions.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm going to go for the obvious and suggest Shiroma.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm sticking to my attempts at an FF9 naming scheme with Dagger because that's what a white mage SHOULD be named :D

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why are you asking us to name her? You've already said she is Anime.

Also I didn't understand how IDing items works. Do all items appear un-ID'd? Do you need to ID every item, regardless of if you had one of their kind before?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I didn't understand how IDing items works. Do all items appear un-ID'd? Do you need to ID every item, regardless of if you had one of their kind before?

Basically, every time you enter a new dungeon, everything's rerandomized, so you have to start all over with identifying. The exception, if I remember right, is that if you bring something into the dungeon, anything identical to it is also identified. (So bringing a map card into the dungeon will let you recognize other map cards.) Of course, bringing stuff into the dungeon means fewer slots to bring stuff out...

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Seconding Shiroma, because anime.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh no we've been separated from our dear moogle friend how will we ever cope?

Yeah, we'll probably forget all about him once we get a good meal from what's her face here.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Derek Barona posted:

Seconding Shiroma, because anime.

Thirding. Also she probably has delicious nuts for us. Eat them all. Leave her with no nuts. It will be her recompense for being so anime. :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EponymousMrYar posted:

Thirding. Also she probably has delicious nuts for us. Eat them all. Leave her with no nuts. It will be her recompense for being so anime. :colbert:

Wording.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Big eyes? Colorful hair? Token female character in the game? Clearly that's Waifu.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Voting'll close in about 24 hours.

Blaze Dragon posted:

FredMSloniker posted:

Basically, every time you enter a new dungeon, everything's rerandomized, so you have to start all over with identifying. The exception, if I remember right, is that if you bring something into the dungeon, anything identical to it is also identified. (So bringing a map card into the dungeon will let you recognize other map cards.) Of course, bringing stuff into the dungeon means fewer slots to bring stuff out...

This. To use an example, say you're in the dungeon and you pick up a fizzy tonic. You drink it, and find out it's a potion. You then leave the dungeon, either via Teleport Tag, getting killed, or beating the boss (To be very pedantic, leaving the dungeon is what re-randomizes everything, but there's only one un-ID'd item you can pick up outside of a dungeon, and it's a one-time fixed drop). When you re-enter, potions might now be glowing tonics, and fizzy tonics might be poison. Anything in your inventory is ID'd when you leave, and stays ID'd when you re-enter, so if you have a potion going in, you'll recognize them when you pick them up inside. This means that keeping a potion and ID card in your inventory each time you go into a dungeon is a good way to avoid having to play the ID game for those basic items.

There are a few items that are always ID'd, like empty bottles, rocks, and tags, and essences never get un-ID'd once you find out what they do, but those are all specific cases.

Since this is the first time Kwehry has left the dungeon, I'll be going over this stuff again next update. :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Man, at least the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons don't have this ID system, it sounds tedious as hell.

...Then again, you have a million Plain Seeds eating up inventory space when you get revived. Do Phoenix Downs change into useless space wasters after use?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

I actually kinda like it, but then again I make chainmail for fun, so I might have a much higher tolerance for tedium than most people. :v:

And Phoenix Downs are... not really a thing in this game. There is something that revives you when you die, but it vanishes completely when used, you can only have one at a time, and it doesn't take up inventory space. It's also extremely rare.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

hopeandjoy posted:

Man, at least the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons don't have this ID system, it sounds tedious as hell.

It's a standard thing in Roguelikes. It's to increase tension by not letting you know which items are safe to use, since it can create scenarios where you may be tempted to gamble on using an unidentified item to get out of a sticky situation. A safe way to identify items is to use some of them while you're on the stairs, so that if something bad happens, you can immediately go straight to the next floor. But if you identified an item with a good effect (by using it), that does mean it could be a while before you find another copy of said item.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

hopeandjoy posted:

...Then again, you have a million Plain Seeds eating up inventory space when you get revived. Do Phoenix Downs change into useless space wasters after use?

On the other hand, going into a dungeon with a Pokemon with Recycle and just turning all of those Plain Seeds into actual items is really nice. It's like getting a crapton of new items at once, I love it.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's a standard thing in Roguelikes. It's to increase tension by not letting you know which items are safe to use, since it can create scenarios where you may be tempted to gamble on using an unidentified item to get out of a sticky situation. A safe way to identify items is to use some of them while you're on the stairs, so that if something bad happens, you can immediately go straight to the next floor. But if you identified an item with a good effect (by using it), that does mean it could be a while before you find another copy of said item.

This, and it just generally not being safe to pick up whatever you see on the ground. This is a bit truer in NetHack or Angband, but a lot of items on the ground can either kill you or aid in your inevitable demise. Mystery Dungeon can't do anything that intense, which is probably why my storage in PMD was always pretty full. I'm assuming we'll be getting a method of uncursing equipment, or do you just dump cursed stuff?

Kwehry sitting and reading a book is adorable, though. :3:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Warbird posted:

Big eyes? Colorful hair? Token female character in the game? Clearly that's Waifu.

I like this one.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

AmewTheFox posted:

This, and it just generally not being safe to pick up whatever you see on the ground. This is a bit truer in NetHack or Angband, but a lot of items on the ground can either kill you or aid in your inevitable demise. Mystery Dungeon can't do anything that intense, which is probably why my storage in PMD was always pretty full. I'm assuming we'll be getting a method of uncursing equipment, or do you just dump cursed stuff?

Uncursing was mentioned in the update, but it apparently only lets you unequip the cursed item, not remove the malus from it.

Edit: Throwing in my support for Dagger.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Even if Shirma reminds me of White Mage Lenna the most, I'm jumping on the Dagger train.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

And Dagger take a surprising, come-from-behind... err, tie. Time to bust out the usual tie resolution mechanism.

... and rolled a 2, so Dagger it is! Update should be ready tomorrow.

AmewTheFox posted:

There's a tonic we can pick up that'll dispel curses. There's another method that we'll be seeing in a few updates, too. There's also the option of just using the cursed gear until it breaks, though that's usually only worth it for cursed digging claws.

While the malus can be removed, it's usually more worth it to just dump the gear. I'll be keeping it around to show off a silly trick later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I've been meaning to play this game for a while and Whoops! it looks too good. Reading this LP will encourage me to play the game and try to keep ahead of it.

• Locked thread