Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Welcome back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db8YGvSPwYg

Looks like Kwehry's getting a nice nap, at least.

And he's waking up!

Meanwhile, someone wearing white mage robes gingerly puts a pot on a shelf.

It's full of nitroglycerin, by the way.

Kwehry is distracted by the sound.

Which, itself, alerts the white mage.

Apparently nobody told her that the "reveal your face by dramatically removing your hood" thing only really works if your face isn't plainly visible with the hood up.

All Kwehry can manage is a blank stare. And some blinks.

: I was so surprised when you fell from the sky.

: ? This is probably your first time seeing a human, isn't it?

Uh-oh, she's busting out the "hands on hips" pose. Kwehry's in for it now.

: The way I see it, a bird like you is a lot more unusual than me.

: Oh, I see. My name is...

Had Chocobo and Mog continued their journey, they would have met Shiroma, whose name comes from "Shiro Madoushi". Which is Japanese for "white mage". Yes, her name is essentially "WMAG".

But since we're watching the adventures of Kwehry and Riposte, the white mage's name is Dagger.

: I'm Dagger and I'm a White Mage. Nice to meet you, Kwehry. You look very healthy, I guess the tonic worked well enough.

: Well, I'm relieved.

: Well, I'm going out. If you're tired, rest on the bed.

I wasn't kidding about the nitroglycerin earlier.

And with that, Kwehry mugs for the camera, and we're given free reign to loot the place look around Dagger's house. First thing's first, though, let's get us some expl-

:sigh: Oh well. This tonic is un-ID'd, but it's always a Nitro Tonic. You can drink it to lose a quarter of your current HP (max 50), or kick it at enemies for the same effect. It explodes like a mine trap does, so it can be used in a pinch to break down walls.

Or rather, it could, if we could carry it.

Speaking of our items, though...

My hunch was right, our un-ID'd card was a polish card! This'll increase the enchantment on a claw or saddle by 1.

And looks like our other Wooden claws were cursed, too. As well as one of our saddles.

As Dagger mentioned, we can rest in her bed to save. And that's that for her house.

Wow, she set up shop pretty much right outside the dungeon. Oh well, back to spelunking!

Switches will oftentimes do nothing at all.

Two more sets of Wooden Claws, and no space for them. The smart thing would be to dump the cursed crap, but I'm saving it up for later. Still, that does remind me that we have our polish card to use.

And now we have a +1 wooden saddle equipped!

And we're caught in a mud trap! Mud is more annoying than dangerous. Kwehry can still attack as normal, he just can't move for a few turns.

The quake book isn't so important right now, but I do want that fire book for later. Kwehry drinks a potion, drops his memory tag and stones, and picks up both books as well as the two sets of claws from earlier.

Cantrip books are a little different from normal spellbooks. They don't level up with use, for one. For another...

We're prompted with this menu when we use it. Since we have no way to control which effect we get, Kwehry goes with random.

And like that, all enemies in the room are asleep. Cantrip books cause wide-area status effects. Once Kwehry has a way of choosing the effect, they're pretty helpful. But for now they're not worth the inventory space, especially since choosing random can backfire and cause Kwehry a little bit of damage.

Still more claws. And hey, maybe this smeared card is identify?

Oh. At least we'll recognize them for later in this dungeon, I guess.

And Kwehry decides to demo the polymorph trap. It turns you into a random monster that the floor can spawn. While transformed, the L1 button will make Kwehry use the monster's special attack. In guz's case, here...

... he starts crying. Thankfully it wears off quickly enough. Monsters later on in the game have some unique abilities that make polymorph traps a lot of fun.

Hmm. Kwehry hasn't leveled up any spells yet, and his inventory is full. I think we can kill two birds with one stone.

Next floor, Kwehry finds a tasty nut, which restores both HP and energy. A useful find.

If you find a tonic that you don't want, you can always pour it out and keep the empty bottle.

Spike traps damage you much like landmines do. Here, though, the trap doesn't trigger. This happens from time to time.

Next floor, we find ourselves in a cutscene.

: I've had enough of this dungeon. I'm goin' home.

Thus begins Dagger's long and storied tradition of being ambushed by skeletons.

: What!?

Really, though, this is a Final Fantasy game. Undead have no business going near white mages.

: Whew... that was close.

: Th-that's why I don't like this place. The only reason I came this far is 'cus you asked me to.

: Hmph... what kind of chocobo are you? Get a hold of yourself.

Sounds like Chubby Chocobo is a pretty normal chocobo, all things considered.

: Uhhh, that's...

: Fine. I'll continue on by myself then.

: No, it's too dangerous.

: I'll be fine. I have a Teleport Tag if I run into any problems.

: Besides, I want to find this dungeon's secret. Therefore, I must go.

: You be careful, too.

: Wait a sec! But... she's gone...

And on that note, we'll continue this later.

See you next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, dude was not built for dungeoning. He was built for sitting on giant piles of items so nobody else could steal them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:allears:

I remember this fondly from my childhood.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Nice to see that Dagger can take care of herself, instead of needing the help of a Bird in Shining Saddle.

Also, in NetHack, polymorphing without polymorph control could be very dangerous. If you turned into something small/physically weak you wouldn't be able to carry all your stuff anymore. Making your pet walk into a polymorph trap until it turned into something cool was fun though IIRC.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Welcome back!

We're back in the dirt part of the dungeon.

Kwehry picks up some Mage Essence. That's all that happens on the fifth floor.

On the sixth floor, however, we run into our new friend!

: Do you have business in this dungeon, too?

: Have I seen your friend? Hmm... I haven't, but... Well, if you're continuing on, shall we go together? Honestly, I'm a little scared, too.

: Okay, let's go then.

Sometimes Kwehry can find a stove before this point, but here's where it gets explained.

: What's wrong? You've never seen a stove before? You can combine, by putting two claws or saddles in there and adding fire or thunder. Combining may get you more powerful claws and saddles. Why don't you try it?

: I don't have to tell you? You know already?

: Then I guess I'll just tag along with the wise Kwehry.

And with that, Kwehry has a traveling companion again! :toot:

And can finally free up some inventory space! :toot:

Stoves are really drat important. Combining equipment may seem like a small thing, but...

Certain nuts and essences can be used with the stove to add effects to the resulting item. Goblin Essence increases energy, essentially making the item lighter. Critter essence increases hit/dodge. Mage Essence, on the other hand...

Mage Essence adds silence to it. Status effects in a claw will cause the effect, and in a saddle will prevent it. In general, status resists are far more useful than status adds, especially since claws can only have one status effect at a time, while saddles can resist all seven, and even gain a defense boost for doing so.

In short, this basic Wooden Saddle is going to be our endgame defensive gear thanks to combining.

The patterns you can choose determine which item is the base item and which is the additional one. In this particular case, pattern 2 gets us two more DUR for free.

Items that have been combined are rendered with a blue font. Combining an item gives it another special property that we'll be seeing in action a bit later.

In the mean time, let's consolidate our cursed claws. The bonus and/or malus of each piece of equipment is added together for the final item. Also, if one item is cursed, the combined item will be as well.

Kwehry decides to ID his remaining equipment by equipping it, and stumbles across this gem.

And is even able to boost his saddle to match, though at the cost of some DUR.

Different claws have different animations layered on top of Kwehry's kick. Wooden claws give this starburst.

Switches sometimes do nasty, terrible things like this. Picking up all loose items in the room before you hit a switch is a good idea.

While mopping up the floor, we get the 4/256 drop from a hedgehog. Critical claws boost Kwehry's crit rate.

Comparing them to our +2 Wooden claws, they hit a bit harder, miss slightly more often, but are tougher and more durable.

But you know, we do have a stove on this level....

When mixing two of the same claw or saddle, the result was pretty straightforward. When mixing two different types, though, things get complicated. Toughness is just averaged together, but energy remains the same? What?

The secret is that the stats are averaged together with more weight given to the first item. Specifically, the first items stats are tripled, the second item's stats are added to those, then the whole thing is divided by four. Level Limit is fixed by type of claw, and attack is just the claw type's base attack plus the bonus.

Those nerdy enough to do the math at home might notice that the calculation for hit rate is off by one. That's because the game actually stores hit rate as an accuracy penalty. So the Critical Claws would have an 8, the wooden claws would have a 6, and the resulting claws have a 7.

This concludes this week's episode of Gushing About Numbers Theater.

... Okay, that concludes it. :v:

Down on the seventh floor, we get a new tileset, some new music, and some new enemies.

Skeletons can breathe poison gas and take a few hits to kill. Undead Essence will add confusion to a claw or saddle, so picking up a bottle or two while you're here is a good idea.

Level 2 Guz's start showing up down here. They're not much tougher than their weaker counterparts.

Kwehry ID'd rotten nuts a few floors above. They restore energy, but cause damage. Almost never worth it.

Sometimes, Kwehry will find magic sigils on the ground. The red ones, shown here, boost his magic power while he stands on them.

Verify cards automatically ID everything in your inventory.

Needless to say, usually when I find one, it's the only un-ID'd thing in my inventory.

This wizard is extraordinarily rude to poor Kwehry. He just wanted to trap a skeleton's soul in a bottle and mix it with some wooden saddles.

See how he likes being magic-ed at, the jerk. :argh:

Dagger, being a white mage, can heal Kwehry once per floor when his HP is critical.

On floor 8, Kwehry hits level 7 as a skeleton drops this particular card. Skeletons have a chance of dropping some Very Bad Things, so Kwehry won't be using it until he knows for sure it's not going to kill him.

The Cantrip Book is eh, but I want that Drain book. The un-ID'd card would be nice to have, too. As would the one from the treasure chest off-screen. Let's start with that one.

Okay, it wants an item to be used on. It's probably an Identify card, then, so let's see what our Warm card i-

Oh. Repair cards increase a claw or saddle's DUR. Great to have. Not so great to waste.

:sigh:

:stare: Yep, Kwehry is glad he didn't use that one.

Doom Cards are basically Scrolls of Death. If you're not very near the stairs when you use this, you're gonna die.

Like most harmful items, it can be kicked at an enemy. Unfortunately, the effect of the Doom Card isn't "kill the user", but rather "kill Kwehry". So don't do that.

On floor 9, imps make their appearance.

Imps are more annoying than dangerous. Their special attack is to teleport you to a random spot on the current floor. Drinking an Imp Essence will restore all of your energy, while forging with it will raise either critical or special defense.

Kwehry finally picks up the eighth thunder book he'll be needing.

He also discovers the purple glyphs. Purple glyphs come in pairs, and stepping on one will teleport you to the other. Again, more of an annoyance than a danger.

On floor 10, though, things get interesting.

: W-what?

Oh, hello there.

Skullhammer here is our first boss. He hits hard, has a decent chunk of health, and can cast the tier-2 version of quake. Being undead, he's weak to fire and holy, though exploiting the latter isn't something Kwehry will be able to do for a while. Still, opening up with your stock of fire books is a good way to start.

Luckily, any use of a spellbook counts for leveling it up, so using fire books to cook your equipment isn't a waste.

Even level 3 spells hitting a weakness aren't enough to do him in, though. Unless you've somehow acquired the 16+ books you'd need for ten shots of level 3 fire.

Luckily, Kwehry's saddle is good enough to keep the damage reasonable. Had it been weaker, Kwehry would have had to retreat and hope to stock up on potions on the way back.

Kwehry and Dagger both score a critical hit, doing about as much damage as a single fire book.

And then spend the next two turns whiffing.

Quakara has an impressive animation, with huge boulders flying up from the ground, instead of Quake's piddly rocks from the ceiling.

Thankfully, Kwehry is saved by the sticky RNG.

Once Skullhammer is down to half his health, though, things get very interesting.

When Skullhammer falls to pieces, he gets even more dangerous. The head will chase after Kwehry and Dagger and try to bite them to death.

Even with a crit, though, he's not very deadly on his own. The trouble only comes if you get cornered by the hands, but since they just wander around until they happen to be within melee range, you can usually focus down the skull before they become a problem.

The skull can drop a variety of claws. We get a simple, uncursed pair of wooden ones.

An important thing in this fight is to keep an eye on Dagger's health. While bosses won't level up from defeating Kwehry's companions, Dagger brings enough extra damage to this fight that it's worth kicking her a potion if need be.

The hands are much weaker, offensively, than the head, so as long as you take them on one at a time, there shouldn't be a problem. They can drop saddles, including some fancy status-resist ones.

Finally, the heart.

If you're playing along at home, this is the time to queue up Yakkity Sax, because the heart just runs away, aiming to prolong the fight as much as possible. It inherits whatever HP the base form of Skullhammer had remaining when it collapsed, so it's not as durable as the base HP score makes it seem. Having Dagger here can nearly triple your damage output, if you can chase the heart out of a corner like that.

And that's that. Skullhammer can be intimidating, but as long as you keep your wits about you, don't panic, and try to avoid fighting multiple parts at once, you should be able to make it through.

Doing so on low health with no potions, though, is not recommended. Getting a lucky dodge on that quakara was the only thing that made it possible. :v:

Still, all things must come to an end, and that includes undeath.

As well as this update.

See you next time!

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 8, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
You missed replacing your Choco emote lines with the actual emotes.

Also hooray for boss fights!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

You missed replacing your Choco emote lines with the actual emotes.

That's what I get for changing the portrait names from Choco to Kwehry. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was a pretty neat boss fight. Does our White Mage buddy ever cure-nuke it?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Glazius posted:

That was a pretty neat boss fight. Does our White Mage buddy ever cure-nuke it?

Sadly, no. She thwacks him with her staff when she can, but she'll only cure Kwehry.

In-game, think of Dagger as less of a Final Fantasy-style white mage, and more of a D&D-style cleric who just happens to never have any Turn Undead charges left. :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nice, a gimmick with the very first boss huh? I wonder what future bosses will have in store.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Ah. I thought cooking equipment with Mage Essence caused the status to Kwehry. Well then.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Oh, hey there Riposte!

: You can't go in. Who knows what will happen to you if you go in there...?

: Hey, it sounds like you plan to snatch my treasure. Why else would you be here? Well, I'm not letting you.

: Well, you see......

Uh-oh, she's started to ellipsis.

: By the way, all the treasure is gonna be mine.

Riposte status: still a jerk.

: I'm human... so I'll be fine. But the one who already went in there...

: What, he's your friend?

Well, that certainly seems ominous.

Guz, what are you doing with that crystal? It's bigger than you are!

Also, how in the hell did you even get here? Those skeletons a few floors up would one-shot you.

He hears the door open, and scurries off into the corner.

Riposte is, of course, super excited about the giant crystal.

: It was definitely worth coming this far!! This will be the rarest in my collection of rare items...

: But anyway, that's mine, so get your dirty little hands off it! Scram!

: If you don't, I'll...

C'mon, Riposte, without Recycle Boxes, what would we do with all those Memory Tags? Save in the middle of the dungeon? Pfft.

: Let's see... How am I gonna get this treasure...

: Here I go. I can't reach... Once more...

The crystal begins spinning rapidly. And making that gleam, crystally sound effect. You know the one.

Uh-oh.

For best results, grab your monitor and shake it around while reading that screenshot.

And also this one.

But not this one. Here's our world map screen. On the left, you can see the dungeon and Dagger's house.

Oh. Welp.

Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately), the speaker here isn't a twitchy, semitransparent version of Kwehry.

: Oh, I see. Perhaps the entire dungeon fell in the ocean and we ended up here...

: Oh...

: Y-yeah...

As usual, Riposte is thinking of the loot.

: Argh!! The dungeon collapsed and fell into the sea...

Today has not been a good day for Dagger.

: Shoot... That giant treasure...

: Well, since my house was destroyed, all I can do is return to the village...

: What, there's a village around here?

: Yes, we're probably close to the village now...

: Well, take me there! I'm outta practice. It's been so long since I've explored a dungeon, I'm beat.

: O-okay... I guess that's all I can do...

: Alright Kwehry, come on, move it.

I guess Riposte is expecting Dagger to lead from the back?

Thank you for that establishing shot, Riposte. Without this line, I would have had to screenshot the "Enter village?" prompt on the map screen.

Oh dear, looks like someone's recognized Dagger.

: Hi... Auntie Bomb...

Nope, Riposte isn't done being a jerk yet.

: Hmph, you've got no right to call me auntie. You're probably just up to no good again.

: That's not...

: She's one of the bad guys?

: What a peculiar visitor. So, something bad must have happened to you?

: You got that right!

: I see. Well, you just can't trust humans. So, you must be on a journey. If so, you can stay at my house. I wouldn't want you to stay at a human's house by mistake.

: You're pretty nice!

Even to other jerks, Riposte is still a jerk.

: I could've done without the face comment, sonny. Come with me.

: Well, come on Kwehry.

Dagger is not having a good day.

: I guess I'll go home. You'd better go too.

And with that, we're given free reign to explore the village. But this update is getting long enough.

See you next time!

(Riposte is still not finished being a jerk)

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Ah the old "The one human in the town of non-humans is treated like a freak" routine. Just as classic as the "The one non-human in the town of humans is treated like a freak" line!

(i.e. they're both terrible)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Edward_Tohr posted:

: I guess I'll go home. You'd better go too.

Poor thing is already in denial about her house. :(

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Maybe she actually owns two houses! Or she's got... relatives? Adoptive parents?

Man, she just got wrecked by Riposte and that rear end in a top hat doesn't even acknowledge it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Glazius posted:

Maybe she actually owns two houses! Or she's got... relatives? Adoptive parents?

Man, she just got wrecked by Riposte and that rear end in a top hat doesn't even acknowledge it.

She is obviously a young professional who managed to secure on site housing for her job curesmiting skellingtons.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Now that we've finished the first dungeon, Kwehry has access to the town. This will be our home base for the rest of the game, and there's plenty of little things to do and people to talk to.

Starting with Dagger; today hasn't been very good for her.

: Oh, you were worried about me? No, Mrs. Bomb is really a nice person.

This would explain her "I'm a human, so I'll be safe" line from when Riposte went into the crystal room.

: But then again, the only humans around here are the old man living in the tower and me. That old guy? He lives on the outskirts of the village... But the gate leading to his tower is all locked up now... I think Chubby Chocobo has the key...

: Chubby Chocobo is my childhood friend. He's at the Tool Shop.

We'll be getting very familiar with Chubby Chocobo's Tool Shop as the game goes on.

... That didn't sound so bad in my head.

: How do you like my room? I felt a little uneasy living in the village, so I moved. But now I'm back. I should add some decorations in here.

Just as a quick aside, I do like that her house in town is laid out a little differently than her house by the dungeon.

Unlike Riposte, Kwehry is perfectly content to stay at a human's house. Intentionally, even.

There's not much to do in the house north of Dagger's just yet, so let's head over to the bomb-pattered one just next to Dagger's place.

Nevermind, this place is full of jerks.

Also, talking to Riposte triggers the cutscene that lets you advance the plot, so I'll be holding off on that.

This workshop-looking place is up next.

This is Gamedon's Storage. We can give him some of our items that we're holding onto for later, and free up space in our inventory. Keeping a spare claw and saddle in storage is also a good idea, in case Kwehry runs out of HP deep in a dungeon.

Currently, though, renting storage space costs 1000 more gil than we have. We'll be back later.

This place is also important.

It's the Black Mage Research Lab. There's a few sidequests here, but only one's active at the moment.

Jessie here is why we held onto a Goblin Essence, even when Kwehry really could have used the HP restore.

We can't pick up our reward yet, though. Once it's ready, though, Jessie will let us take a drink of a Dispel Tonic whenever we're in town. Biggs and the Head Magician won't let us start their quests yet, so we'll ignore them for now.

Next up, that statue in the middle of town.

Well gently caress you too, Ben.

Next up, Restaurant le Tonberry.

: Lately that drunken Malboro has kept ze customerz away. But I am not ready, because ze drunken Malboro is driving away all ze customerz.

I'm sure there's something we can do about that.

poo poo, that should have been the thread title.

: What? You want some bolts!? But... I can't really do much in this form... <sob> <sob>...

And now he's sobbing in the corner. Hmm.

: Uhh... uh...huh? Oh? You have a Thunder Book.

: Please, give it to me. Use it on me!

So, before we go through with this, let's look at Kwehry's current spell levels.

: Not yet! That ain't enough to make me 'member my real shape! Please, one more time.

By "one", he means "six". This doesn't have to be done all in one sitting, thankfully. Still, if you have the seven thunder books to spare, there's no reason not to.

Oh crap, it's an old human!

: We did it. Now I can say good bye to that ugly shape! I got drunk and fell asleep on one of those Morph Traps. Man, I must be losing my touch! Who would have thought I would turn into a Malboro and not be able to change back... Oh yeah! It's all because of you. I'd like to reward you. I shall assist you! Call on me whenever you wish.

And Ramuh gives Kwehry his first feather!

Feathers are special enhancements for Kwehry. Red ones like the one Ramuh is giving us now allow us to summon a new companion. They'll hang around, acting like normal companions, but if/when they're killed, they'll use their summon effect. In Ramuh's case, he hits all nearby enemies with lightning.

Yes, Ifrit, Shiva, Titan, Bahamut, etc. will be showing up as well.

: But finally customerz will start coming back. I am zo happy!

Speaking of being happy...

Yes, each one of those seven thunders counted for leveling the spell up.

Okay, I guess we've put it off long enough. Time to go to Jerkhouse.

But first, Kwehry can also save in the guest bedroom here.

Back in the kitchen, that kid is afraid of us, apparently.

: Oh, you're staying here, too? Well, I guess it's fine with me.

That sure is some sort of logic, yep.

: Bombay style wildrat curry.

: Yeah, yeah!

: Anyway, it looks like there might be tons of rare items around here. Maybe we can find a treasure like that big crystal, too.

: Man, that crystal was huge. It's such a waste that it fell into the ocean... If only there was some way to get it from the sea floor...

: Are you still talking about that? You don't learn, do you...? Let the humans deal with that rubbish. Only the weird old man that lives in that tower would be crazy enough to try and make something that takes you to the bottom of the ocean.

: What!! That weird old guy has something that'll go to the sea floor.

: Yes. He was talking about its submission or something...

: A submarine! Kwehry, that's it! We can get the sunken treasure!

: Okay Kwehry, I'll get everything ready in the village. Your job is to go find the old guy 'n ask to use his submarine.

: Kwehry, the ocean's great.

: Great, now that it's decided I'm countin' on you.

Giant crystals? Fostering harmony between humans and monsters? Kwehry doesn't care. Bird's gotta eat.

: The old guy lives in a tower on the outskirts of the village. But the gate to his tower is locked. No one wants to see that human. It's probably best if you find another way.

Thankfully, Dagger already told us that Chubby Chocobo has the key. Let's go visit the tool shop.

: I'm sorry, I'm not open yet.

: What? Do I know anything about a gate key? Yeah, I've got one. Everyone's freaked out by that old man so they locked the gate. As for me, I have to do business with him so I use the key to go in and out.

: Huh? You wanna go see the old man? Why didn't you tell me that sooner? I'll open it for you.

After a quick fade-out...

: Huh? You would have opened it yourself if I gave you the key? Tell me that kind of stuff sooner. I'm pooped.

And he just parks himself in front of the exit.

Okay, I guess diagonal movement is necessary to actually beat the game. :v:

Once Kwehry leaves the building, though, Chubby Chocobo manages to get behind the counter.

He sells some basic consumables, including ID cards and Teleport tags. You can also dump some of your crap off on him in exchange for cash.

Hey, that Doom card is pretty nasty, maybe it'll at least sell for something?

Oh. :smith: Hawking our equipment would net us a tidy profit, but I have other plans for it. gently caress it, let's just go to the tower.

The game helpfully puts a dotted line showing you to your next destination. Granted, it's mostly a formality, since you'll never have more than two endpoints, and one of them is always the village.

Anyway, next time, we explore the tower and meet the best character in the game.

Speaking of, both the old man and his tank need names. Seven characters, bold, you know the deal by now.

See you next time!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He's an old man who works with machines. This is a Final Fantasy game. I know joke names are funny but c'mon, we can't not call him Cid, it'd be heresy.

His tank, though? Well, he might appear in Super Smash Bros. someday. He'll need his Lndmstr.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Agreed. I don't even know why you put it up to a vote when he's already Cid. As for the tank, though... how about Paladin? You know, because Paladin is a tank job... in FF14... I'll see myself out.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Cid is Cid. His tank is Lowind.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

FredMSloniker posted:

Agreed. I don't even know why you put it up to a vote when he's already Cid. As for the tank, though... how about Paladin? You know, because Paladin is a tank job... in FF14... I'll see myself out.

I like this.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
How about Cid and Thunder!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's an old man who works with machines. This is a Final Fantasy game. I know joke names are funny but c'mon, we can't not call him Cid, it'd be heresy.

His tank, though? Well, he might appear in Super Smash Bros. someday. He'll need his Lndmstr.

Going with this one.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The glorious dwarven tank Lali-Ho is the best fit for how tiny Cid is.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

alcharagia posted:

The glorious dwarven tank Lali-Ho is the best fit for how tiny Cid is.

Dwarves are genocidal assholes and I will not hear anything to the contrary :colbert: Fuckin dwarves and their genocide of fairy folk just because their fuckin hydra died because of humans *mumble**Grumble* Anyways, we name the tank KwehMK2

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

This is awesome. Somehow between game-breaking glitches, freezing consoles, and not being good at this game, I don't think I've ever made it through the next dungeon so I'm looking forward to whatever it is that happens for the rest of the game.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Cid is Cid. His tank is Lowind.

Agreed.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cid is a must, that's true.

But for the tank how's about Sophia3?

Changing vote

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 16, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Cid isn't typically a dwarf, so clearly this is NotCid. As for the tank since this game is anime, Edlwess seems appropriate.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Actually, the old man kind of reminds me of someone...

Old Man Calvin and his Tiger Tank Hobbes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So we can just call on Ramuh once a dungeon now? I'm pretty sure we didn't do all that just for a one-shot item.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Actually, the old man kind of reminds me of someone...

Old Man Calvin and his Tiger Tank Hobbes.

I'm always down for C&H, count me in.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Blaze Dragon posted:

I guess I'll roll with this.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

pre:
Cid:
    Cid: ||||||||
 Calvin: ||
 NotCid: |

Tank:
Lndmstr: |||
 Hobbes: ||
Paladin: ||
 Lowind: ||
Thunder: |
Lali-Ho: |
KwehMK2: |
Edlwess: |

Looks like we're rolling with Cid and Lndmstr.

Glazius posted:

So we can just call on Ramuh once a dungeon now? I'm pretty sure we didn't do all that just for a one-shot item.

The summon feathers replace your partner with the summon, who uses normal attacks while they're out. They can be dismissed at any time by talking to them, but if they run out of HP they use their summon attack and you lose the feather.

Thankfully, there's other ways to get said feathers, so you never have to worry about losing a unique one, but it can be kind of tedious and RNG-dependent.

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 19, 2016

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTwIn75272c (Polsy link)
(as usual, skip down to "FMV ends")

That's a nice little house out front.

A-are those anti-aircraft cannons on the roof? No wonder the people in the village think this guy's so weird.

Oh well. Weird neighbor is the only way to get a submarine, and the submarine is the only way for Kwehry to get fish.

Oh, an explosion. That's not good.

Y'know, Kwehry's handling this really well. I know I'd be getting the gently caress out of there if my neighbor's tank was launched from the upper floors of his tower and landed right next to me.

At least Cid's okay.

And after a brief bit of fist-shaking...

He gets back in the tank and floors it right through his front door. And with that, the FMV ends.

And here we are in the second dungeon, Cid's Tower! Much like with Dagger, Cid won't be joining us immediately.

Generators can be started with a Thunder book, and they light up the room they're in, revealing any hidden traps that might be there.

Yeah, not really worth it.

There's also some new monsters to look at.

Clay Golems are the first regular enemy to not drop an essence. Other than that, they're tough and can hit pretty hard.

Cacti are a bit more interesting. Their special attack attacks at a decent range, and they can drop money.

Money drops in this game are a little odd, as the final amount is based on the actions the enemy has taken. In this case, the cactuar group has a set maximum amount (400 in the Cactus's case), and each action halves the amount they drop.

Imps also show up here, but we've seen them before.

Hmm. Kwehry's claws are down to 5 DUR.

We start one step off from the elevator on the second floor. We could go up, but gently caress it, let's go exploring. What's the worst that could happen?

Oh.

Oh. :swoon:

Flame Claws are a great base for your endgame weapon, since a full half of the game's bosses are weak to fire.

The other half are weak to lightning.

Things are starting to get hairy for Kwehry.

Thankfully, the stout tonic wound up being a hi-potion. They restore 100 HP, and are pretty handy to have around through the rest of the game.

After amassing 1300 gil, Kwehry buggers off.

He spends the first 1000 on storage, and dumps his essences and spare claws, along with the doom card.

The remainder is spent on another Teleport Tag.

Always have a teleport tag handy when going dungeon-diving.

:syoon:

Carry Tags increase your carrying capacity. They are amazing and almost always worth going out of your way to look for.

Along the way, Kwehry breaks his awesome claws! :ohdear:

... Oh. :getin:

Claws and saddles that have been combined at a stove will drop feathers when they break, based on their bonus. +0 or lower will give nothing, +1 through +5 will usually give a lower-level feather, and +6 or higher will give a more powerful one. Usually the feather given is related to the equipment's properties in some way, like how the critical claws give the critical UP feather.

This is how Kwehry will be getting most of his new abilities from now on.

Oh. Oh. This isn't good.

They can hit each other with their ranged attack, so having to deal with upgraded monsters is a very real threat.

This would have been an acceptable choice. One hit away from death, a bunch of unpredictable enemies around... yeah, running away would have been safe.

Summoning a friend might also be helpful. Ramuh would come in at full HP, and so he'd be a viable meatshield long enough for Kwehry to retreat.

Instead, I tried to be clever. I figured I could zip around those rocks and toss a few spells.

See the one on the lower-right? The one who doesn't have direct line-of-sight to me because his friend is in the way?

Turns out that apparently projectiles can pass through other enemies if the shooter is off-screen. Or something.

Welp, that was a bust.

See you all next time!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I blame Riposte for this.

If he had been there, he could've been a human moogle shield.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
It may be an easy roguelike that's very fair.

But that doesn't mean it won't beat your rear end. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, interesting. So you get small permanent character boosts by making equipment and using it until it breaks. That's a pretty neat system to encourage you to use stuff up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Cid's Tower is visually pretty amazing, especially how old the game is. I would play more games with that art.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back!

Thankfully, death isn't permanent in this game. Kwehry just gets kicked back to town and loses all of his items.

On that note....

: Can't let you go empty handed, so here, take this.

We're given a potion, a teleport tag, and some un-ID'd wooden claws. These particular ones happen to be +1.

The claws and saddle Kwehry had equipped are placed on the floor he died on, so you don't have to worry about losing crazy-customized endgame gear.

Back to the tower!

Enemies can trigger some traps, too.

gently caress yeah, dying was the best thing ever!

Plant Essence, from the Cacti, causes poison. The implications for mixing it into a supersaddle should be obvious.

And a second pair of Flame claws. I guess it's nice to have a pair for breaking.

Up on the third floor, we run into a cutscene.

An old man is beating a cactus to death with a wrench.

: And that!

This guy's reaction to most things is "hit it with a wrench".

He's easily one of the best characters in this game. :v:

: What's that!?

: Hey pardner, ya say you're not an enemy, huh?

: But that trick won't fool me! Well then, just what are ya doin' in my tower?

: Ya forgot? Geez, well ya've got a selective memory. I don't have time to deal with a fella like you. I've gotta get my tower back from the Imps.

If only, if only...

: What a disaster! The Imps have taken over my precious machine...

: You say ya'll help me?

: In exchange for a favor, huh?

: Well, what's the favor?

Yep, Kwehry's already forgotten why he wanted to go to the tower in the first place.

: Of course. Ya fergot, huh?

: Oh well. Look's like ya're not the type that can cause mischief. Besides, as long as I'm followin behind ya, there'll be no danger.

: Do you even remember yer own name?

: Nice to meet ya, Kwehry. I'm...

By default, his name is Cid. We're keeping it that way.

And with that, he's our partner. His theme song keeps playing until we leave this floor, so let's go exploring instead of immediately bugging out to do more sidequests.

Craaaaaap, I didn't realize these guys could spawn here.

They can cause Mini with their special attack. Their essence causes/prevents sleep. Needless to say, getting some is vital to our endgame saddle plans.

Unfortunately, Kwehry's a little short on empty bottles, owing to the whole "dying" thing from earlier. Whoops.

Anyway, let's talk about Cid. Like Riposte and Dagger, he has a special action he can do. Unlike those two, who do them either at random or when Kwehry's about to die, Cid will only do his when asked to.

Because what Cid does is set landmines. These are identical in every way to the random landmine traps you'll sometimes find in the dungeon, and can make a substitute for Digging Claws, if you have enough HP and potions.

Crash Stones are fun. When kicked, they explode. Just like a landmine, or Nitro Tonic. They do a small percentage of the target's current HP in damage, and are somewhat useful for weakening something without killing it.

As long as you can eat the splash damage.

Up on floor 4, we get some new scenery and music.

Also a new treasure chest, but we'll get back to that.

Another possible outcome of flipping a switch is bombs. Some have shorter fuses than others, so it's usually possible to pick a path through the room and take minimal damage. Or hole up in a hallway or something.

Edged Collar? I wonder what that do-

:stonk:

L-let's leave it alone for now.

Collars are Kwehry's final equipment type. They have varied effects, some helpful, some harmful. They're analogous to rings or amulets from more traditional roguelikes. Collars are the only items that don't ID on equip, and the game occasionally curses a beneficial one just to trick you into getting rid of a helpful item. It's an absolute rear end in a top hat move and I love it. :allears:

Oh hey, another new enemy! Those empty mechs have 50 HP and take 1 damage from most physical attacks. They don't do anything on their own.

Until an Imp shows up to pilot it, anyway.

They hit like a suit of power armor. They also take a few rounds to boot up once the imp hops in, so go nutso and blow the fucker to smithereens. They're pretty likely to drop Rust/Repair cards, which affect the durability of Kwehry's claws and saddles. Rust cards can also be kicked at mechanical enemies to damage them.

Anyway, back to this jeweled chest. Or sealed box, as the game calls it. Trying to interact with it brings up a list of our spellbooks. Let's just hit it with a Blizzard.

Oh, that was a lucky guess.

Each sealed box can only be opened by a particular element. If you use the wrong one, it'll play an animation to give you a hint.

Or you can just say gently caress it and hit it with Drain. Drain will always open a sealed box. The rewards are usually high-end consumables, like Polish cards or summon stones.

:syoon:

Certain floors in Cid's Tower are set up as catwalks above the previous floor. The big difference between these floors and others is that you can't dig through the empty space, but flying enemies (or Kwehry polymorphed into one) can cross it all they want.

Also, that yellow thing is a Grand Roller.

If we're really lucky, we can snag a lightning-resist saddle from one of them. Their tier-3 forms are particularly infamous for dropping Carry Tags, but we're a long ways off from being able to farm those.

Fuuuuuuuck that noise, Kwehry's outta here.

Back in town, we can finally reap the reward of giving an essence to Jessie earlier. For 100 gil, we can drink some Dispel tonic out of the cauldron. Handy in an emergency, but we're all set for now. We can finally get the Head Magician's sidequest, though.

: Will you cooperate with my research?

: Thank you! Let's begin.

And he just gives us a feather.

: What do you think? What does that look like to you?

: What!? It looks like a feather? I see, I see, that's what you think? So... hmm. To thank you, I will give you a feather. Your experience with it will contribute to my research also. Pick one.

Hoo boy. All three of these feathers let us replace our single-target spell with one that affects an area. Specifically, they all wind up targeting nine squares, but the arrangement differs with each.

Fireball is your traditional 3x3 square AoE. A lot of enemies are weak to fire, especially in the dungeon after Cid's Tower. If we don't get it here, we can spend some time cooking and improving our fire claws, as breaking one in the +1 to +5 range gives this feather. +6 or higher gets us Ifrit, though, so it may be worth holding out for that.

Blizzard Storm turns Blizzard into Cone of Cold, shooting out in a three-tile, 90-degree spread. This is less immediately useful, as fewer enemies and no bosses are weak to Blizzard. On the other hand, enemies usually spread out a little, and the wider angle can help clear out rooms while standing in the doorway. Plus, Blizzard doesn't have much else going for it.

Thunder Cross is probably the most immediately useful, due to the common lightning weakness in Cid's Tower. As the name implies, it attacks a cross-shape centered on Kwehry, three squares in front of him, and two squares on the other three sides. It's really situational, but it does let us hit multiple lightning weaknesses at once.

Voting can be done here. Feel free to explain/argue your choices in the thread, though. Just because I'm prepared to have forty updates on a page doesn't mean I want to have forty updates per page. :v:

See you next time!

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
3X3 and Kwehry shoots fireballs out of his face? Sign me up! Not to mention the fringe benefits to using it on groups of Fire-Weak enemies.

• Locked thread