Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's a standard thing in Roguelikes. It's to increase tension by not letting you know which items are safe to use, since it can create scenarios where you may be tempted to gamble on using an unidentified item to get out of a sticky situation. A safe way to identify items is to use some of them while you're on the stairs, so that if something bad happens, you can immediately go straight to the next floor. But if you identified an item with a good effect (by using it), that does mean it could be a while before you find another copy of said item.

This, and it just generally not being safe to pick up whatever you see on the ground. This is a bit truer in NetHack or Angband, but a lot of items on the ground can either kill you or aid in your inevitable demise. Mystery Dungeon can't do anything that intense, which is probably why my storage in PMD was always pretty full. I'm assuming we'll be getting a method of uncursing equipment, or do you just dump cursed stuff?

Kwehry sitting and reading a book is adorable, though. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Ok, Thunder Cross just sounds like a hardcore name for a skill.

Though, I think that some basic wizard style Fireball is a good idea. 'Cause who doesn't love Fireball? It's why you play evocation mages.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Black Balloon posted:

Really wish I understood all the equipment and essence mechanics when I was younger. Instead, my sister and I just played co-op, and we broke the game with the partner's free movement mechanics. Slow, but effective!

Speaking of which, I was meaning to ask about that. Does it just slow things down to a crawl because you have to do each individual movement, and does it let you do cool things like Ramuh using Thunder when you want to?

• Locked thread