Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
that's up to you to stop posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
http://i.imgur.com/sRLat6s.webm

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

My apologies for ruining your life that is this thread

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Despera posted:

My apologies for ruining your life that is this thread

hows the ratting in TEST

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

I would say "You'll never beat me again" but, well, you will. You post a lot.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

JMax posted:

Epsilon won then

and then Condi opened the posting wormhole and we all left, dancing to his tune...

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

this thread made me want to play eve again. Figure out how to hook another monitor up to my computer and just mine space rocks on a screen next to me at all times.

is that what the noobie mining guild essentially is?

sounds like my kind of game

e; oooo or better yet figure how to to play eve off my phone with teamviewer or something to keep my space rock number moving when I'm out with friends and living life, anyone figure that out yet? that sounds much more appealing than any browser game. mining space rocks is simple enough I feel like to do that.macro it up?

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 27, 2016

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Dat :captainpop:

Mining :frogon:

Heron :derp:

My life compled it has :shepicide:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Videogames is branching out a little into exploration as well as mining. He's been doing the missions for exploring.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

wait i watched a youtube video and i thought i should focus on industry, memory, and intelligence? whatever those mean I havnt played this game since early 07? was it really that long ago or am I confused with how long this games been going?

anyways I'm kinda just trying to figure how the controls without the tutorial and its proving to be harder to remember than I thought. doing the mining career job opportunities thing. which the youtube video told me to do

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

wait i watched a youtube video and i thought i should focus on industry, memory, and intelligence? whatever those mean I havnt played this game since early 07? was it really that long ago or am I confused with how long this games been going?

anyways I'm kinda just trying to figure how the controls without the tutorial and its proving to be harder to remember than I thought. doing the mining career job opportunities thing. which the youtube video told me to do

It's referring to attributes, you can remap them somewhere in the character sheet. The training time for skills is dependant upon your attributes.

A lot of the core skills that every ship uses are primarily based on your intelligence stat and to a lesser extent on memory. Drone skills are based on memory mostly, guns and ships on perception and willpower.

Honestly you should probably get Evemon and come up with a plan for what you want to train. Core fitting skills, ships you find interesting, drones, missiles, what types of guns, mining skills, exploring skills and so on, whatever you want to do or be. Then use the optimise attributes function to find the optimal attribute spread for your specific skill queue.

Edit: You also don't need to necessarily do the mining career person. It's good to do all of the career trainers anyway as they give you free ships and modules for every situation.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 27, 2016

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

what if i care less about having the coolest ship and missiles and just want to specialize in something worth botting or something automatic and repeptative that gives good gains or is sought after or something?. is that legal in this game? and keep it going on my phone while I'm out skating and stuff and treat it more like a phone game than a real game?. with little regard to getting banned because lol eve the spaceship game

I have no clue what that entails and havnt even looked into botting. what do goons think of botting this giant space game that holds the country of Iceland's economy or whatever.

is it punishable in Iceland to bot or do bad things in this game btw? serious question

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Botting is not punishable under Icelandic law but will get your account banned. You can do many bad things to other players in this game, but you are not allowed to do bad things to the game itself, where doing bad things to the game means modifying the client or automating gameplay.

If you do not care at all about getting your accounts banned, there are lots of bottable activities.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

what if i care less about having the coolest ship and missiles and just want to specialize in something worth botting or something automatic and repeptative that gives good gains or is sought after or something?. is that legal in this game? and keep it going on my phone while I'm out skating and stuff and treat it more like a phone game than a real game?. with little regard to getting banned because lol eve the spaceship game

I have no clue what that entails and havnt even looked into botting. what do goons think of botting this giant space game that holds the country of Iceland's economy or whatever.

is it punishable in Iceland to bot or do bad things in this game btw? serious question

Why don't you stick with your phone games anyway?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

You want to subscribe to a game to make a bot play it for you while you're doing other things?

Doesn't make any sense. Just do the other things. :confused:

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Maybe I will like just doing other things and will give up quickly on the mining bot endeavor. Or maybe I will enjoy the fact that I'm cheating (is there a less harsh word?) at a game a lot of people dedicate their lives to. even if my gains are total poo poo compared to playing for real, who cares. I have trouble getting into videogames nowadays because of the huge amount of time they require to play seriously.

also I hate phone games and play none. I think this "phone game" would be different because its a real game, in a really cool actual 1 server world. ISK essentially has USD value, no? even if small. I fell like doing this could be something I enjoy? just wanna try it. and I've botted games before to varying degrees of success (mostly zero lol)

or should I not do it because people take offense to how I live my space life?

either way, botting or not- I'm still going to try the game out and take mining for a spin. If someone has advice for me and would rather reach me ingame my name is nevermind. i guess i will get banned for giving it out and talking about botting

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 27, 2016

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

either way, botting or not- I'm still going to try the game out and take mining for a spin. If someone has advice for me and would rather reach me ingame my name is cookieoh. I'm a pretty serious noob and am currently confused on how I do the implants thing I apparently need to do

Don't bot, and stop hating fun.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
People's opinions on botting range from apathy to distaste with most closer to distaste than apathy. Now that you've connected your in-game character name to your SA account publicly you should never admit to doing it if you want to keep playing. Botting is one of the things CCP police most aggressively and several current or former employees are goons.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Unfunny Poster posted:

OK, so here's going to be a small :effort: post of stuff that, honestly, is probably lovely thinking on my part and also pretty hugely speculative based on what CCP say they want to do with Aegis and the roadmap they've shown the past few years.

I think that, ideally, most alliances/crews are going to want to cram themselves into 2-3 regions max depending on their relative size and on their activity. If you look at Providence's ADM (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Providence#adm) they're almost all at 6 ADM which is the max because they actively use their space etc. Coincidentally I did a stream the other day talking about the history of the building of Providence that was kind of fun (VOD here: https://www.twitch.tv/eve_nt_tv/v/62164111 ).

When you look at Providence and compare it to let's say Branch circa January 2016 (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Branch/2016-01-01#adm) there's a huge difference. Sure Branch is removed from empire so, logistically speaking, it takes more effort but you're also in a relatively save area of the game at that time what with The Imperium having sway of the land there. Hell even Deklein wasn't that good in terms of its ADM spread (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Deklein/2016-01-01#adm). CCP heavily have implied cramming people into regions/constellations is ideally what these changes will want to do. For example Fountain, prior to this war, had relatively better ADM spread than Branch & Deklein (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Fountain/2016-01-01#adm). I think, personally, in a post-World War Bee world GSF & allies are better off focusing on a region or two that are decent ratting but also borders empire. Assuming the plan is to take back and hold sovereignty.I understand there are issues related to income in null versus low, wormholes, and highsec, however for the moment it's worth noting that if you want to live in nullsec and own space land you'll ignore that to some degree.

I don't know what option there are regarding the people who live far out in the boonies of space for the time being, mechanically speaking I have no idea what you can do other than have agreements or be very very smart & clever with how you get your stuff out there. Guys like Drone Walkers are going to have to work hard to get poo poo into Tenal more so than say someone like TISHU out in Cloud Ring. Now this is going to delve into rampant speculation around CCP's plans & roadmap, specifically player created stargates. I personally think CCP should make it so players can build, and will have to defend, player stargates between the boonie regions (eg. Omist, Outer Passage, Tenal, Period Basis etc.) and empire regions they can build a connection to. I won't touch on the idea of connecting wormhole systems in this bit but that could also be a cool function. Anyway, allowing players out in Period Basis to build a singular stargate that connects to empire allows for a bit of an ease for logistics and importing for them, and with some limits (eg. only one player made stargate can be connected to a relatively close empire region, maybe even only allow that to specific regions out in the boonies, etc.) would make sense to me. It'd resolve a lot of those issues where "it's super tough to live out here without any NIP/Blueing up of people in the regions we need to go through with our JFs."

Again that's just rampant fanboying and speculation of a cool game design/mechanic I think could make deep null regions viable and usable more so than they have been in probably their entire existance. That said I'll repeat that it's probably lovely for a lot of reasons and is all kinds of bad ideas and probably I did a poor job explaining stuff as I'm actually supposed to be doing The JEFFRAIDER Show right now and not writing this but people are talking about Citadels and my eyes glazed over from not understanding that stuff.

Hopefully this is at least a glimpse into my thought process about how Aegis sov & CCPs roadmap could be really good, and I'm sorry if it's a jumbled mess of words and bad ideas.

I broadly agree, but consolidating nullsec groups into smaller territories will just mean you get less friction between groups competing for space, if you don't have either a growing server population or an increased incentive to go out there and fight for that space. CCP seems to have based Aegis sov on ignoring those two realities, pretending that if only the big evil coalitions weren't squatting on all that space, nullsec would be unshackled and we'd see some glorious smallgang 0.0 PVPtopia of good fights on every gate. The other option is that they know the reality all too well, but are actively trying to starve the beast of large scale warfare and territorial conquest, because they intend to pivot the game towards a new audience who are here for the Fun Per Hour and demand content on a plate without any of the unpleasantries.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 27, 2016

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ah yes perhaps I should explain. That Heron, Pebble, is indeed mining because for one of the industry missions I had to pretend to mine so I would be attached by Gurmistas. Then I would be able to stop them and pick up a scientist guy.

I couldn't take Rock because Rock has no weapons on him and I didn't want him to get in trouble.

Also when exploring in Pebble I do have a tendency to get sidetracked and start mining.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Are we there yet? :f5:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
What's the next ship you will go for VG?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Foehammer007 posted:

Rorqual.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Foehammer007 posted:

I suggest a Retriever, Hulk or Procurer called Boulder.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Xachariah posted:

I suggest a Retriever, Hulk or Procurer called Boulder.

Skiff.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Helicon One posted:

I broadly agree, but consolidating nullsec groups into smaller territories will just mean you get less friction between groups competing for space, if you don't have either a growing server population or an increased incentive to go out there and fight for that space. CCP seems to have based Aegis sov on ignoring those two realities, pretending that if only the big evil coalitions weren't squatting on all that space, nullsec would be unshackled and we'd see some glorious smallgang 0.0 PVPtopia of good fights on every gate. The other option is that they know the reality all too well, but are actively trying to starve the beast of large scale warfare and territorial conquest, because they intend to pivot the game towards a new audience who are here for the Fun Per Hour and demand content on a plate without any of the unpleasantries.

I dunno: Querious, Delve and Fountain are already patchworks which, until everyone with a pulse and a penchant for PvP headed north, had quite healthy numbers of fights. Even in the last 24 hours Querious had about 800 kills. Cloud Ring and other regions may well be similar but I am less aware of what's going on there.

As regards trying to get rid of the unpleasantries and increasing the "fun per hour", maybe that's a good aim for a game developer to have for their product?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Prospect :colbert:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

an underrated ship for pro pilots only

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helicon One posted:

Sure, I agree that right now the incentives aren't there. What CCP plan to do to resolve that issue is beyond me because I don't work on the design team, though they seem to think the incentives right now are fine which I disagree with. I think CCP making Nullsec regions have exclusive assets to farm, like how WHs only get sleeper stuff iirc, would be a good step. Especially if its for the faction capitals they're working on as well as the pirate implants. Make those conquerable nullsec exclusive drops, and that's one way to make people want to fight over the resources/control the land.

I also think catering towards the people who don't want to log in and sit around for hours on end for a 10 minute fight isn't as bad of a thing as people make it out to be. I don't think it's some ~elite pvper~ mentality to want to be able to log into the game, and be able to go out and find PVP rather easily. Prior to the war people in CFC/Imperium were complaining about having to go 20 jumps just to find people to fight, where as in other areas it was less (excluding Drone Regions). I disagree with people like Chessur who think there should be instanced PVP arenas, since that goes against the spirit of EVE but I also think it's absurd that people think its a bad thing for CCP to work on making the players who don't have hours to spend on a singular fleet at a time be able to log in and frag nerds. The stuff Darius' guys are doing now is pretty much what I'm referring to in thinking that CCP should encourage that stuff. They're in a relatively decent area in terms of activity (both PVE & PVP) and they can find fights rather easily. Sure its not a massive battle to end all battles but for a variety of reasons CCP have chosen that those things aren't necessarily what they want to have happening.

Endie posted:

I dunno: Querious, Delve and Fountain are already patchworks which, until everyone with a pulse and a penchant for PvP headed north, had quite healthy numbers of fights. Even in the last 24 hours Querious had about 800 kills. Cloud Ring and other regions may well be similar but I am less aware of what's going on there.

As regards trying to get rid of the unpleasantries and increasing the "fun per hour", maybe that's a good aim for a game developer to have for their product?

I sort of feel like its cheating to use Querious as an example as that's a thunderdome with NIPs regarding sov structures.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Is the game down?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Funso Banjo posted:

Is the game down?
Yes. Downtime was supposed to run from 11:00 UTC to 13:00, but it looks like the upgrade to the new patch is taking more time than CCP had planned for.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

When this happened before we got some free SP so...

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

i lost a rapier recently :negative:

im bad at pvp

also i didn't file for reimbursement, far beneath my station

This is basically my-eve-story.txt except copy paste it 500 times

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

VideoGames posted:

attached by Gurmistas
mods please change my name to this

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Unfunny Poster posted:

I sort of feel like its cheating to use Querious as an example as that's a thunderdome with NIPs regarding sov structures.

That's a sandbox for you.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endie posted:

That's a sandbox for you.

Fair enough.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Endie posted:

Querious is more an exception to the rule because of who lives down there and Fountain has the advantage of one of the better NPC nullsec pockets (for missioning and just general position to branch out for PvP) along with a core of well established PvP oriented corps.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I bought a newbie miner that was asking questions in local a mackinaw. He was very scared I was scamming him and was hesitant to accept at first.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

go3 posted:

who was the guy zataaki always loving argued with

Was it that MERCHI guy Gantrithor who thought he knew everything about fitting?

luminalflux posted:

I miss my Zataaki Tachypoc

Zatachypoc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Unfunny Poster posted:

If you look at Providence's ADM (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Providence#adm) they're almost all at 6 ADM which is the max because they actively use their space etc.

CCP heavily have implied cramming people into regions/constellations is ideally what these changes will want to do.

Then again we reset all the ADMs in Provi in two weeks on a lark invasion. Even when it's working exactly as intended, fozziesov makes it way too easy.

• Locked thread