Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wisdomHNOX posted:

We are playing Caldari Alpha clones, so any tips on a good easy to fly frigate would be appreciated as well!

Kestrel is easy. A merlin would be more instructional for learning stuff like transversal if you want to bring that stuff up.

Also if you haven't played for years, they made some ships into T1 space-priests. The Bantam is the caldari T1 logi frigate. It makes getting into the logi role possible as an alpha. So if your wife is in the girl = healers stereotype, that's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Orange I feel like you are working from out of date info on rocks or something. Highends became the most valuable when they rebalanced them to include piles of trit and poo poo such that nullsec anoms had a vaguely balanced output. (can't be self-sufficient if you have to import veld from empire.)

Ark is the most valuable ABC because it has mexallon, and mex has been the bottlenecked mineral since rorqs started eating entire anoms in giant bites.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Blasphemaster posted:

Yeah and as such snatching the speed from the dudes we want to turn into biomass is always fun. Honestly I can BS Snipe with the best of them but in between fleet fights I would like to be useful. Thus my recon cruiser shpiel. :v:

If you train recon cruisers you can also use them in fleets, I think the huginn is still doctrine.

The downside of recons is that you really need recon 5 for them to shine, or so I've been told.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Scarcity alone won't make conflict forever. It makes conflict while the scarce resources are fought over by too many people, until the losers sift out and the winners sit on the resource. Then you have to ratchet up the scarcity again to restart the cycle.

If you want scarcity to make permanent conflict, you have to add a reason for the losers to keep coming back. Not just the hope that maybe you can take those resources, a reasonable belief that they can win. But if they have that, you don't even need scarce resources to fight over.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

yeah, the last of the new structure types is supposed to be "gates," but that is from old rear end fanfest powerpoint slides and who knows what they'll actually do when they get around to it

they've drawn out the new structures over 3 years already, stargates are probably not coming until winter 2018.

Also odds are that they're just gonna end up being the replacement for jump bridges. All the other ambitious ideas with new gameplay got dialed back to basic replacements of old stuff, I doubt gates will break the trend. This trailer is already a joke but it's gonna be even more a joke when gates come out. "The prophecy! We must stop capsuleers from constructing the same thing they've had for years!"

Maybe they can re-edit it to put a Sparc player in there, who throws a bouncy energy ball into the gate's core to activate it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

orange juche posted:

Everyone who does not or has not held anything is bitching because fozziesov still left sovhavers too strong.

No, fozziesov has a lot of attacker advantage. It's *citadels* that everyone is bitching about being too strong, because Fortress Delve and anywhere else with keepstars is impossible to invade.

Personally I think the two might balance out to be about right -- with citadels attacking sov is kinda meaningless except for hurting pve and the few other sov bonuses. But invading a region with a strong citadel presence will be made much easier by attacking sov -- flipping sov prevents opponents from anchoring replacements and means you can possibly put down better beachheads yourself.

And the best way to attack a keepstar is to make the enemy not bother showing up to defend it, like CO2's was. Making them feel thoroughly defeated by flipping sov and winning those battles is a good way to do that. It's like medieval warfare where you have to fight a long siege and starve the defenders into submission. It also means the only wars are wars of territorial conquest, which doesn't sit well with some people.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Structures having zero upkeep requirements -- which is why they get spammed out like they do -- is a different problem that shouldn't be put in the same bucket as what they do to war.

200 asshouses in a system is dumb whether it's nullsec or Perimiter. Even if they only got 1 reinforcement that'd still be mega lame to grind through. A pos with no fuel is trivial to kill. the asshouse of a player who quit 6 months ago should be similar.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

As far as I can figure out, Albion was supposed to have a safe->dangerous zone progression kinda like eve. But all the action ended up in the areas that were supposed to be less dangerous, so the pve-only carebears complained.

Greyscale made a system where if you pvp you get shoved out to the most dangerous zones, which are almost completely empty, and have a timer before you can come back. Because he's a hack who only got a start in "game design" through CCP's idiotic hiring practices.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

sounds like it's time for the blue pac-man to take the mantle of responsibility bestowed upon them by dint of being the top dogs in the universe and un-blue each other to save eve

I think by transitive property we should be running some sort of quasi-legal out-of-game service, which also provides cover for large scale RMT. But if gambling is out, and you can't deliver booze in a video game...

Umm, has anyone seen Jade Constantine recently? We may have a opportunity in online videogame brothels here!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Catberry posted:

What do you know about not getting banned from the game for cheating? You or one of your friends seem to get banned from the game every two weeks.

So he's got some real close experience to how their security works?

CCP is the farthest thing possible from impartial about who they're going after for rule-breaking. They give no shits about the farming bots in many areas, because eve is one of the easiest games in the world to make bots for and their ability to play whack-a-mole is weak. So they concentrate on busting RMT instead. If you're not RMTing you can run bots for ages with no repercussions. But for gankers their trigger fingers get way more itchy, because they get lots of petitions about them.

globby is obnoxious but he's not wrong about this and many other things

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 5, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
the other thread is the good thread

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rhymenoserous posted:

That thread is boring.

goddamnit you were supposed to say that thread is dead so I could say "just like eve!"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lucifirius posted:

So if I'm not retarded about it I could get away with botting while I'm say.. carrier ratting?

I dunno, I haven't tried it myself. But I'm pretty sure that you could as long as "not retarded about it" includes setting up the bot well, and not using some random piece of software that CCP knows about.

Buuuut why even bother when you can throw a couple no-attention myrms alongside your carrier and get almost exactly the same results?

Catberry posted:

Like most videogame developers they probably lie about advanced detection software and instead the cheat detection system is 100% petition based. After which a GM manually has to check input rates.

GM time is money after all and if no one saw it then no players need appeasing. The next generation bots will post Markov chains in local and rookie help.

They definitely do or have done automatic bot detection, if the pissed off users of some commercial bots in the past are to be believed.

But I 100% believe that they've shifted enforcement from bots to RMT, because bots boost the PCU numbers. 2011-2013 was when they really went after bots, but it was a much healthier game back then. These days CCP is just trying to maintain an appearance, like a Victorian lady eating arsenic for that healthy complexion. Unless the bot owner is doing something super visible that gets lots of pissed off player petitions and attention on reddit, they're easier to ignore.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lucifirius posted:

What I want to know is why the constant railing against ~asset safety~. Which if removed from nullsec would kill nullsec because gently caress being able to lose all the random poo poo you've collected. Just make the assets locked away longer.

Some people think they can force other people to fight by raising the stakes for loss and not-fighting. Literally "the beatings will continue until morale improves" thinking.

Basically a lot of pvpers look at the (terrible, moribund) state of nullsec & w-space and don't see how the game mechanics over the last 3-5 years have created it. Instead they think that more of the same will somehow fix it.

Blasphemaster posted:

I get the necessity of having 'vulnerability windows' what with eve being a 24/7 game with players across all kinds of time zones, but it's just silly really. It seems just a gag to let tiny localized corps keep ahold of a structure by having it be totally invulnerable until the clock strikes :insert time:.

They're not great but a super-complex system isn't great either unless you're good enough at designing it to catch all the edge effects. Auto-defenses are not the solution, people are already using tactics to avoid manned defenses.

I think that a good compromise on citadels could just be making them vulnerable 24/7 for the first timer. That would remove the dumb 2-week invulnerability trick and let opponents generate timers whenever is convenient for them. Then the next 2 vulnerable cycles are on the schedule set by the owner (and can't be changed once the first reinforcement starts).

This takes away a half-step in how stupidly long it takes to kill a citadel. It makes moon timing less attractive to anyone who can actually fight (because they have to alarm clock themselves for it).

The downside is that there's more randos ringing doorbells with flaming poop by poking at citadels they can't hope to kill. But if that happens, put some fuel in your asshouse and man the drat guns.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Torabi posted:

The kings of wormhole space return with 19 mil isk. :cool: Also, nobody died! My friend who had his shields taken out last time almost died at the hands of a gas site sentry tower when we decided to take a peek but beyond that we were fine, didn't even run into any players.
Are the sentries placed by players or are they just npcs?
those are NPCs

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh, cool. Yeah, Pyfa has definitely supplanted EFT as the fitting simulator IMO. EFT has spotty updates
Eft doesn't get *any* updates, aside from people hacking on the databases to keep some stats current. Which is a shame because pyfa still hasn't caught up to eft's features, not to mention the python crap performance.

O.smium is also out of date.

Torabi, if you make a little corp with your friends there's now corporation shared fits in-game. So you can make fits for your guys in pyfa or the in-game fitting tool, then save them to corp so they can easily get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Ah.

What did he mean by if I'm looking for goonfleet I'm in the wrong thread? Are there multiple goon threads?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3773673

this is general eve, thats for the spaceguild

there was a third for serious discussion with no shitposting, but shitposting is the only thing happening in eve these days

• Locked thread