Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So my buddy is venturing into the EVE Online trench now. Which skills should he train? I'm a bit unsure myself since even the alphas have a lot of skills to choose from. Told him to go for stuff like gunnery, controlled burst and the racial frigate skill. Also stuff like capacitor and shield boosting skills along with target management.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I have two characters stuck in hostile stations which are also their home station from 4 years ago, and when I follow the instructions for setting their home stations to their school HQs, I am denied because I'm not allowed to using the cloning services in the station I'm in. If I undock, I'm sure I'll just be podded right back to where I was. GMs are being extremely unhelpful, and I know I'm dumb about Eve and lots of other things too, so if anyone here could tell me the obviously dumb thing I'm doing wrong that would be really nice.

I have like, 1 billion in assets locked in hostile stations from back in the day. I can sell the stuff and get like 1/4th of the ISK at best so it is just sitting there but I should probably just do it, what choice do I have. :saddowns:

Boar It fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Klyith posted:

If you can wait until sometime later this year, all assets in null will become recoverable. They're turning all stations in sov null into citadels, which will allow you to teleport your goods to safety for a 15% fee.

Had no idea that CCP can help you but allowing people to teleport goods seems like a very dumb move. No need for freighters or anything anymore or what? No need to transport supplies to the frontlines during large fights etc?

Edit:

Reading up on it now and if I'm not mistaken they will remove the ability to put down your own stations too? What the gently caress are they doing? Adding the ability to teleport assets and removing the ability to actually change the game world? What gives?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 14, 2017

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

it's an asset safety teleportation, which means each system can only teleport assets to a specific lowsec station (or highsec station if in highsec,) it takes three weeks to do the teleport, and you pay a 15% fee on the estimated value of the assets for the service

Ah well, that sounds fair. Then I wouldn't be in this situation. Regardless I asked CCP to see if they will move my poo poo but that account is alpha so I bet they will tell me to either sub first or gtfo. Still, had I known about this then I wouldn't have sold so much of my stuff to the lowest bidder back in the day since I knew I was going to quit and start over on a new dude in the future and figured I'm not getting this poo poo out. But I still have an Ishtar and a Leopard lying around and some other stuff.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

How hard are the rogue swarm nests to do? My character has only around 7 million SP and not that strong. Also how hard are they to find? They claim that capsuleers of "all ages" can join the fight but I doubt my friends with <1 mil SP can join, can they?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I'm aiming for a covert ops ship so me and some friends can fly around in null/WH and mess with people but I don't know if I should train bombing skills or just go for just regular weaponry. If I train to become a bomber I'll just drop my bomb and warp out instead of staying and fighting with my friends.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Ah, thanks for the tips. I already have an astero, I'm just too scared to fly it given my track record of losing 3 herons in a day while exploring. :v: But we will most likely be a total of four people. Two of which are alphas for the moment but figured we could use them as tacklers or something if needed. Is there an option for stuff that will make me shoot as opposed to launching drones? Or is that the most efficient way.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

So me and two of my friends decided to venture into WH today, specifically Thera. I had no idea that Thera was a special kind of WH space so I was shocked when we got there and found out how loving huge it is and the fact that there were stations. I got a bit too excited and warped to one and thus fleet warping my friend who was trying to bookmark the exit. Then we got stuck in the station since a guy was camping outside, I went out first to check and died. So now my buddies who have barely played EVE were stuck in WH space with no exit and no probing gear. So an epic rescue mission began, I got back in and warped the gang to me so we could bookmark it, a dude was there and nearly killed one of my friends, only taking out his shield. After that we ran a data site and made a cool 5 mil isk. :10bux: Then we hightailed out of there and back into High sec. All in all I am a terrible FC and I shouldn't be allowed to play EVE. :v: At least it was fun.

Also, how do you tell different WHs apart anyways? C1 through C6 that is, any way to see what they are before you enter?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Thanks for the info. Me and my friends want to mess around in WH as much as possible. The only problem is that at least one of us has to be dedicated to scanning and the hacking, which would be me since I have the most SP in those areas. I'm not really comfortable with taking my astero just yet so I'm stuck with a heron. Are there any good fits out there for small gang pvp? I've found https://o.smium.org/ but all the fits I find seem really outdated with modules missing from the game and whatnot.

According to various guides relic sites are the ones with the big bux so I could forgo having a data analyzer and put in something to make me more durable perhaps?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, aside from Astero small ancillary armor rep fits, you can't really be a good prober/hacker and fight at the same time. However, if you're careful and watch dscan/local (as appropriate) you won't run into too much trouble.

If you're looking for fitting simulators, look up Pyfa. It's a client-side program, but it's good at simulating fits and you can have it read your characters' skills to make it more accurate.

Your instincts are correct -- data sites are generally not that great. They're more a lottery ticket item -- occasionally they'll pay out an obscure "storyline" BPC material, or a good blueprint, but most of the time you get crap. Relic sites have a much more reliable payout.

One thing you can do to help is fit a cargo scanner to your ship, then cargo scan the cans in sites before you hack them. This will tell you what the prize will be before you hack, so you can skip cans that have, like, 3 Carbon in them. This practice, while quite effective at optimizing your income and time, is rude as gently caress, because the site won't despawn until all the cans have been hacked. You can intentionally fail the hack twice (by closing the hack minigame window) to explode the can. I don't recommend leaving sites alive with lovely cans if you (e.g.) belong to a corporation and you're doing sites in your corp's space. Anywhere else, who gives a gently caress.

Cargo scanners are already something I use actually. So good that I am not totally lost.
Is Pyfa more popular then EFT now? Been a while since I last played EVE so I had never even heard of Pyfa until now and we are doing poo poo in WH so I'll just leave a mess. :v:

The ultimate goal would be for us to do more than just having my friends watch my back while I fail at hacking and eventually get into small gang pvp but for now just loving around in WHs is pretty exciting.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The kings of wormhole space return with 19 mil isk. :cool: Also, nobody died! My friend who had his shields taken out last time almost died at the hands of a gas site sentry tower when we decided to take a peek but beyond that we were fine, didn't even run into any players.
Are the sentries placed by players or are they just npcs?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The very first thing we scanned down today was a relic site. Score! Or so we thought. We entered and I started hacking. Then the entire site exploded. :saddowns: Did it just decide to de-spawn at the worst time or was it a bug or something?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

It blew up after like, a minute of us being there and I had yet to fail anything. None of us took any damage even though the entire thing went poof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

iospace posted:

Were all the cans "hollow" squares on the overview or were they filled?

They were filled, all of them had loot.

Also this must be the safest station in EVE.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 10, 2017

• Locked thread