Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

CommonShore posted:

You're cool.

(e. I'm Don Gately :skink:)

Best character name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

So how boned is the CFC super fleet after this patch? Don't really think CCP should intervene but drat, seems like there's no way for any super pilots still in 0.0 to get new mods, refit, or unload overloaded bays without logging into a pretty hostile environment.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

EVE Online: that elephant racked its dong hardcore

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Woah, less than 1% of the Titan's value was destroyed. It's like being surprised that a Hurricane can kill a noobship.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

yeah isk cost, that's a balancing factor

Do you think that 10 noobships shouldn't eat poo poo to a battleship?

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Eminai posted:

Do you think that 10 carriers shouldn't eat ship to a State Raven?

CommonShore posted:

that's not what he's saying

If you want to be pedantic about the economics of scarcity feel free, has nothing to do with my point. Don't be dense.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

you're loving retarded

e;fb

I'd love to be educated then. What's the big deal? I legit don't get it and would like to not be loving retarded.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Eminai posted:

Ah. So ISK value shouldn't have anything to do with ship balance. Got it.

If you guys want to be morons about it then let's say 'market value of bill of materials along with reasonable costs for manufacture and appropriate pilot training' or something. Or just give me an example of what is a balancing factor.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

You're missing a dimension on the scale and that's human effort.

One person should not be able to buy himself victory over ten active human beings with isk.

It sounds like you're arguing both that significantly complex value chain for supercapital production isn't relevant to the human effort dimension, and that victory should hinge on numerical superiority.

ChickenWing posted:

The "big deal" is that titans being able to mass slaughter things that aren't caps and maybe battleships is probably really loving stupid.

Why is it stupid though? Why should they waste carriers but not cruisers? I can see a situation of the signature application numbers being tweaked to allow smaller ship sigs to be less affected, but I had thought they were already accounting for that.

supercapitals > capitals > subcaps >supercapitals would be a balancing factor instead of having supercapitals back to being able to do literally everything

Completely agree, and they've done a lot to get this balance model working I think, maybe not far enough. But fundamentally eve is unfair and rewards coordinated effort, and if there's a Titan camping a gate and it kills a small gang, you'd think that it would be reported, and then you'd drop a herocat/welpcane/geddon fleet on the gate and melt the poor Titan, who is also almost guaranteed to be fitted extremely poorly because there are no faction mods in existence yet.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

The Real Foogla posted:

When it comes to valid balance issues, Titans have very clear-cut and distinct problems that are visible when presented all the facts. Some would disagree about it, whatever their reasons may be, but there is no sensible reason under the sun for anybody to have this kind of power concentrated into one single ship, no matter how much it costs or even if you can never dock again.

I don't necessarily disagree (and definitely think that removing them is a valid design choice) but fights are situational and Titans are considerably weakened defensively. I don't think a Titan should be able wipe out fleets, unless they're extremely stupid and unlucky. But what about beautiful bombing runs that delete shield battleships? Is that too much power?

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

yeah im sure there's not a shitload of other titans hanging out just salivating at the chance to get to "Save" that guy

Vendictus Prime posted:

Yes you could, but only to have the rest of PL and NC. drop a Titan fleet on your herocat/welpcane/geddon fleet as usual to save the solo gate camping Titan.

Yes, but traps, escalation and counter escalation is a totally valid mechanic, right? As is standing down. But FAX machines are very killable, and then capitals/supers only have local tank. Plus you can't refit with a combat timer.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

That's the crux of the matter - right now, a titan can wipe out a fleet. Battleship fleet would probably be easy, cruiser fleet would be difficult, frigate fleet would be improbable, but all possible.

Bombing runs take coordination and skill of multiple pilots, and there's a significant reaction ability. That's good and proper.

But a solo Titan can only wipe out a fleet under a pretty limited set of tactical situations, right? They need to be balled up (like on a gate, but that terrain has almost always mattered - jumping directly into a fight is a risky move), or in a straight line, etc. Lots of room for not getting doomsdayed, and if it misses you, threre is plenty opportunity to GTFO.

Again, I don't think that there is a lot of merit to 'sum of warm bodies active in one place at a given moment' as a balancing factor.

Anyhow, had my coffee and feel the need to :justpost: as I (unlike most of this thread) think that Seagull's road map is pretty awesome, and we are in another mechanics upheaval that has a big impact on fleet scale PvP. I'm sure it will be broken and adjusted over the next few months. It's going to require lots of people thinking about things in new ways, because old strategies aren't working. It's a cool time in the game, as least I think it is.

But anyway, sorry for posting about Eve Online: A Pretty Weird and Often Unfair Game. Resume your boiled ribs and cat pictures.

pugnax fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 29, 2016

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Gounads posted:

Is the neut around the titan or around the target area?

The Titan - so they neut each other out if they're close.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

Warm bodies is the only thing of value any MMO has to offer. To herd people into other people to be friends or enemies.

To form any sort of bond. The bond of rivals or friends. Doesn't matter. Just something to keep the person in the game and make that person bring more people to the game.

If a fleet is repeatedly wiped out instantly without a chance to evade or counter. That's the sort of experience that makes people put down the metaphorical controller.

It's the whole FPS "map full of snipers" thing.

I have no doubt that the sniper is having fun but the situation is not good for the game.

Totally agreed, but earlier in the conversation it was pointed out that you couldn't drop on the Titan doomsdaying a gang of scoutless shield cruisers on a gate because the Titan had a friendly fleet waiting. So is there some sort of fairness ratio of fleet sizes?

Worrying about a map full of snipers sounds more like an argument against AFK cloaking.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

SperginMcBadposter posted:

From what I've heard the sig radius scaling on those isn't working right so subcaps eat the full amount every second.

Edit: That should only be doing 1500-2000 per second to those cruisers, not alphaing them like it is in that video. Sig radius scaling definitely isn't working.

Any chance those cruisers have their MWDs on and have multiple extenders/rigs that bloom sigs? Not saying you're wrong, just that all cruisers are not alike.

e: watching the video again, the pods are only taking a few hundred damage, so it seems it's working there, right?

pugnax fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 1, 2016

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I just did the pyfa math too, clearly hosed up and should be reimbursed.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Dalael posted:

Golden retriever puppies are the best. Anyone denying this simple truth is a fool.

Unfortunately they act like puppies until they are old.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Can someone give me a recap of the last 60 pages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

The fact that you are so cute and funny and cool but it was not immediately known whether to get my nails and toes crossed for you guys.

• Locked thread