Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

I just got a beta key for this. Is the game dead before I even get to play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
if you signed up at PAX south, you should have a closed beta code in the email you got and they said at some point we'll be getting exclusive decoration/paint job/emblem/something to put on our ships. The only issue I have seen since starting (2 days ago) are with the launcher. Sometimes it doesn't load all the way and your FP (i call them f2p points) not showing up after matches. Its there just not there until you relog.

Game play has been fun despite the matchmaking making it difficult to keep your morale up. Play with friends/people you trust and even those pesky corvettes can't get to you.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Stalkerr posted:

I just got a beta key for this. Is the game dead before I even get to play it?

Just waiting for the release or a big update at this time, no point constantly grinding away at this game if they're just going to reset everything in the end.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Back Hack posted:

Just waiting for the release or a big update at this time, no point constantly grinding away at this game if they're just going to reset everything in the end.

this, plus everyones probably playing overwatch

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Aside from the matchmaker being terrible and slow (first match took 2 minutes to match me and a bunch of other newbies against a whole team of high-ranked veterans), the game is fun.

I really enjoy the gameplay of the destroyer, cruiser, and dreadnought (warp everywhere!). Less so the artillery and corvette.

That being said, I'll wait till they make the MM process and Genrral UI not suck.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Like someone else said, I'm tired of the wipes and I'll probably play again post beta after they do their final wipe. I've already leveled up to everything in two or three past alpha tests and it's just not fun repeating that grind over and over.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Stalkerr posted:

Aside from the matchmaker being terrible and slow (first match took 2 minutes to match me and a bunch of other newbies against a whole team of high-ranked veterans), the game is fun.

I really enjoy the gameplay of the destroyer, cruiser, and dreadnought (warp everywhere!). Less so the artillery and corvette.

That being said, I'll wait till they make the MM process and Genrral UI not suck.

It's a really good game, that's just a touch shallow right now. We're all sort of waiting for no more wipes. It's the dreaded closed beta burnout!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Are any goons actually playing this now?
I realize beta burnout is happening, but I just got my closed beta invite and its already seeming empty.
That said I am in love with the title - its a nice change in pace from faster paced things.
Currently in love with 'vette and sometimes Tac Cruiser if nobody else bites the bullet. An Aion with beam amps and target warp is a massive pest when I can warp from across the map and pump a dread to full in three seconds.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DarkDobe posted:

I realize beta burnout is happening, but I just got my closed beta invite and its already seeming empty.
That said I am in love with the title - its a nice change in pace from faster paced things.
Currently in love with 'vette and sometimes Tac Cruiser if nobody else bites the bullet. An Aion with beam amps and target warp is a massive pest when I can warp from across the map and pump a dread to full in three seconds.

The progression is pretty grindy right now and there will be wipes, so many people are waiting until release. They've actually detailed their new progression system a couple days ago which will be tiered style somewhat like War Thunder. The people who answered their surveys said unlocking new ships was their favorite feature by an overwhelming amount, so they are going with ship tiers with over 50 different ships. They will be doing an account wipe once they roll that out.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

Some of us play together every so often, but it's kind of a spur of the moment kind of thing. The main issue is with them wiping the beta accounts every couple weeks for a new balance patch, constantly grinding the same stuff over and over again made most of us decide to hold off until the game releases.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

So they patched the game about 5 days ago, here are some patch notes! (they also fixed that lovely spawning bug a few patches ago, too!)

ver. 1.1.0b
FEATURES
Added a chat monitoring tool to recognize and mutes foul language and poor player behavior. This tool is still being fine-tuned, so please let us know here if there are any "false positives" that the monitoring service identifies.

Updated the Dreadnought launcher to match the new visual style of the website.

BALANCE
Modules

Cooldown added to enemies for Disruption & Purge modules is reduced by 50%
Stasis Beam (Tactical Cruiser) no longer drains a target's energy
Stasis Beam (Tactical Cruiser) no longer reduces the user's defenses and energy
Purge Ram (Destroyer) no longer has an area of effect and will apply its Purge to single targets, like the Plasma Ram

Shop Updates

New items have been added to the shop!
The PDX LAN bundle has been added for players attending the PDXLAN 28 event
Removed the Silesia Decal from individual purchase in the shop, consistent with other Hero Ship items
The 'Dev Headhunt' event items have been added, players who participated will soon be granted their bounty reward
Players who attended our booth at PAX SOUTH will soon be granted their exclusive decal
Some shop item prices have been adjusted, both up and down
Please note that while we are in closed beta shop prices will continue to fluctuate until we fully launch. We are not removing FP or GP as purchasing options for items where it already existed. Also keep in mind that once we do hit the live launch (or any wipe) all GP you have spent/purchased will be regranted to you (not the actual items you bought) as well as any bundles such as Founder's Packs

BUG FIXES
Fixed an issue where the matchmaker would not properly pull 10 players into the game once in a queue
Fixed various game crashes

Patch Notes We Missed

As many of our players have noticed, we missed a few patch note items in the maintenance that occurred on July 5th. We are improving our process so this doesn't happen in the future, and here are the items we failed to include in last week's notes:

Some Modules have been renamed;
Dreadnought
Afterburner is now Assault Thrusters
Weapon Amplifier is now Onslaught Mode
Tactical Cruiser
Flechette Missiles is now Flechette Half-Battery
Armor Amplifier is now Armored Lockdown
Corvette
Weapon Amplifier is now Kinetic Weapon Amplifier
Armor Amplifier is now Kinetic Armor Amplifier
The Talionis has been renamed to Vindicta
Some Tattoo Captain Cosmetics have been updated
Target Blink Warp (Corvette) now has a charge up time

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'm surprised no one dropped this little nugget yet.

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/dev-talk-1-progression-20-unveiling-game-director-peter-holzapfel/

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I see they are going full World of Tanks on this. I dont mind the prospect save having to unlock modules on a per-ship basis. At the least it could be modules graded by size? Like a vette module being available for all corvettes once unlocked.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I'm don't want to come off as a grey box apologist, but is "world of spaceships" the worst thing? I'm not really that up on my f2p models.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It honestly doesn't bother me that much, it's worlds apart better than what we had in the closed beta, and as far a F2P games go it's probably best thing to do.

E: Probably my biggest concern is balance between lower tier ships fighting higher tier ships, which could be a problem if not done right.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 1, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was going to ask if this was worth buying into, but the fact that the thread's on page seven and has the title it does kind of tells me what I need to know. >.>

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was going to ask if this was worth buying into, but the fact that the thread's on page seven and has the title it does kind of tells me what I need to know. >.>

The game is F2P and hasn't been released yet, purchasing a founder's pack is just an optional way of supporting the developers, gain a couple of cosmetic items, and guaranteeing access to the various betas. Just swing by once the game gets an official release or maybe open beta.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/introducing-new-game-mode-onslaught/

Looks like they're adding a variation on TDM.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Game is pretty fun, but it really needs to open up the beta... queues take forever.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/dreadnought-developer-update-september/

Let's see what this update entitles.

quote:

In addition to the switch to 8v8, we will also be changing squad sizes from 5 to 3. While we realize this splits up teams of 5 that want to stick together, we also know that matchmaking has been a frustrating experience for many players. We think that having smaller squads will greatly reduce queue times and create a better experience for everyone.

Crap.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

8 vs 8 is good (the magic number for mwo), but small group sizes is bad.

:smith:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
3 is such an odd choice. I would have expected 4.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Four definitely makes more sense since you can maybe have two groups of fours against another two groups of fours, but three?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I think they're just taking inspiration from Wargaming's party style of 3 in World of Tanks/Planes/Warships. The stated reason by Wargaming was that they didn't want parties to be too large that they could overly affect the outcome of any game that they're in with Tanks and Planes being 15v15 and Warships 12v12. Of course, it really doesn't work out this way if your group is a cut above.

It's probably despite 8v8 smaller teams in Dreadnought, they wanted to give solo queue players a spot in matchmaking without letting the game slide into 4x2v4x2 cliques.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I jumped back into Fractured Space since it is out of early access. Have to say that it is a lot better than Dreadnought. So many more actual unique ships and actual objectives that make people come out and play instead of sitting behind hills and only coming up for pot shots.

It ain't perfect but it shits all over dread.

Also don't know where people think it's pay to win. Sure some of the ships take a while to grind out, but that is every F2P game ever. A lot of good ships are easy to grind cash out for.

Raged fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 4, 2016

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If you wanna support Fractured Space, spend 30 bucks on it and unlock all ships. Then you can have fun because all of the ships are actually extremely different but almost always competitive :shrug:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Michaellaneous posted:

If you wanna support Fractured Space, spend 30 bucks on it and unlock all ships. Then you can have fun because all of the ships are actually extremely different but almost always competitive :shrug:

Did not notice that pack until I had already unlocked about 5 ships. Doubt you get any kind of refund for ships you already have :(

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Raged posted:

Did not notice that pack until I had already unlocked about 5 ships. Doubt you get any kind of refund for ships you already have :(

I asked, sadly no.
I am not too happy about this decision by them at all but oh well.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/patch-131-shipyard-update/

Progression system patch is out.

Maybe this will get people playing again

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
I've given the game a shot since the update; the core gameplay experience seems to still be there and I do have fun flying around in battle, but the progression system is kind of a mixed bag. A mostly bad bag.

On the good side, the way things are currently set up you actually fly ships might not otherwise give a second shot to unlock different types of craft; I ended up having a good deal of fun with ships I hadn't even given a second glance in the original progression system as result, so I kinda like that it gives you the chance to discover a thing you'd initially dismissed was actually fun. That being said, there are a number of guys complaining about this on the Dreadnought forums because they want to focus on their favorite thing and can't.

As I said above though, I'd rate the tier system as mostly bad. First off, there only three classes of ship available at the start--the Destroyer, Artillery Cruiser and Tac Cruiser. You don't get access to the other two classes until the next tier. As a result this means that T1 matches tend to devolve into sniper duels in which Destroyers are mostly useless (which is disheartening for DD pilots) and which are mostly one sided (which is disheartening for the losers). Additionally, the tiering system is bland, with the next tier up being simply better than lower tiers; the only negative trade off is speed--health, firepower, module diversity and effectiveness all improve significantly as you tier up. Also, for some insane reason ships don't have secondary weapons until tier 3 :psyduck:

As a side note, I have not yet reached tier 3 because the price jump from t2 to t3 is absurd; your entry into t2 ships cost 3,000 credits, t3 ships cost 50,000. Your income remains largely unchanged, so I expect this problem gets even more pronounced for later tiers. They also introduced a maintenance system which dings the losers for losing.

To make the boring and grindy decision above worse, for whatever reason tier 4 ships can enter into lower tier matches. Because of the significant advantages they enjoy over lower tiered ship this tends to result in a pretty one-sided fight unless both teams have a ton of t4 ships--and to make matters worse, the buyable special ships are all considered tier 4s and have all their advantages. It's still possible to do well with a lower tiered ship, but it gets a lot trickier, and it's worryingly close to (if not already) pay to win.

I don't think these are unfixable problems, but it is kinda disappointing.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

New trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aNxv15050Y

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Yikes, I'm just now downloading the patch to see what has changed and that sounds really bad, I was already off put by the grindiness in the old system. Guess I'll atleast give it a try and can fall back to Fractured Space if the grind is too much. Not that FS can't be grindy too, but atleast there I already have a good stable of ships.

Oh, they reset everything too. Lets see how long I stay.

Zernach fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 5, 2016

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Played one game and it seemed fun but this thread seems pretty lukewarm. Is this beta-burnout or are there genuine problems here?

For the record I thought Fractured Space was kind of bad.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Being deathmachy means the games can get stale with optimal strategies that aren't super fun (at least that was the burnout the last time I played)

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
That's ultimately what killed me on MWO so I guess it fits.

No word on more objective modes?

Distracted
Jun 9, 2010

I got a code and a bunch of invites for this last week and so far I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Even managed to nail myself with a guided torpedo.

http://giphy.com/gifs/13zoQ6vIzOjWPm

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Pretty sure that's called 'everyones first experience with the Goliath Missile'.

Any word on if there's going to be another beta reset when this game hits open?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I haven't played this in months and got an email about them having added lots of new ships. New model or just variants of the existing ones ?

Does the typical match still play out in the old "sit behind rock while getting healed, pop up for specials" pattern ?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I understand everyone is pissed off about the tiering system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
It's basically World of Tanks now, progression wise. So far enjoying the game enough that I don't care too much but we'll see how long that lasts.

• Locked thread