Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Weird I am looking at the date and it's way past April fools. Founders packs that are actually not a bad deal and they come with extra keys that get almost as much as the $10 founders pack. Devs that seem reasonable and look like they have a achievable goals as well as taking actual good feedback.

But seriously this looks good and fun. I may just have to buy me a founder pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It also goes without saying, but if your ship can equip a nuke ability, please do. Nukes solve everything.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Back Hack posted:

It also goes without saying, but if your ship can equip a nuke ability, please do. Nukes solve everything.
Allows for accidental point-blank nuking as well. :neckbeard:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

gibbed posted:

Allows for accidental point-blank nuking as well. :neckbeard:

Working as intended.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Good news!

I'm out of invites. Welcome to the party goons.

FlyingKipper fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 27, 2016

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Server is up.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Gwaihir posted:

Teamwork is ultra OP. (As usual).

So long as you aren't ~that guy~ in a dreadnought getting healed and warp 10 km away from the tac cruiser that was healing you!

(Maybe/hopefully that got fixed in the patch- DNs got warp jump way before Tac cruisers did, making it really hard to keep up).

This can work if the dreadnought stays aware of the situation and does something like jump to a damaged loner, unload, and immediately jump back to the tac cruiser as soon as the warp is back up. Especially if there is another ship guarding the tac cruiser. And/or if the tac cruiser has warp too and the dreadnought keeps an eye to make sure they don't jump too soon after the tac cruiser jumps in on them.

Generally you're right, though. Don't abandon your healers, don't rush a group of the enemy alone, try to stick together roughly, etc etc.

Edit to add my handy pregame chat for strangers: Shift+Enter for team chat. F to mark targets. Stay together. Shoot at what your teammates are shooting at. GLHF.

nightchild12 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 27, 2016

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I had forgotten how bad pubbies are at this game; I shouldn't have the most kills on a team while a flying tac cruiser you bads. :argh:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
My first game in stuck in the trader Renegade, went 9-1. Pubs are bad.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Went 4/6 my first game as a Corsair.

Figured it out near the end. Also I keep getting stuck in menus. All buttons are blanked out and I can't proceed.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The UI is definitely the thing that has had far and away the least polish so far.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

m.hache posted:

Went 4/6 my first game as a Corsair.

Figured it out near the end. Also I keep getting stuck in menus. All buttons are blanked out and I can't proceed.

Are you doing the tutorial by chance?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Back Hack posted:

Are you doing the tutorial by chance?

I was in the marketplace and bought the Corvette. After a relog things are ok.

Sidenote: Getting a hang of the Corvette. Zoom in and out, pick off straggler snipers.

Also does anyone else find the Beam weapons to be very weak?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The beam weapons are typically awwwwwful.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Gwaihir posted:

They're very similar, although I would say that Dreadnought has far better looking maps and environments vs generic boring space with asteroids. Ships handle similarly in both, but skills and abilities are more streamlined and work more cohesively together in Dreadnought.

Can you elaborate on how ships are more cohesive in dreadnought than in FS? I actually like the bit where you can't outheal damage in FS and you need to be using active abilities like area shields and disables to turn around fights. Also you can use those boring old space rocks to stop being hit from the other side of the map, unlike what happens immediately in dreadnought.

I've watched a friend play it and it looks like world of capital ships for all intentions and purposes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I sent in for an invite to this, never got one.

Might snag a founders pack but I wouldn't say no to a code!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

The beam weapons are typically awwwwwful.

Yeah, I always switch them out with bolt guns if they're available, it essentially turns your corv. into a sniper; very useful for when people group up and you need to pick off a stragglers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Delacroix posted:

Can you elaborate on how ships are more cohesive in dreadnought than in FS? I actually like the bit where you can't outheal damage in FS and you need to be using active abilities like area shields and disables to turn around fights. Also you can use those boring old space rocks to stop being hit from the other side of the map, unlike what happens immediately in dreadnought.

I've watched a friend play it and it looks like world of capital ships for all intentions and purposes.

At various points the skills in fractured space were just a lot more scattershot in effectiveness and whether they were really useful at all.

(I bought in to fractured space early, and it's actually come a super long way- I still like it.)

FS has a really wide range of ship classes and niche roles, much more so than DN does. Each ship has unique skills which help define whatever role it might have

In DN you have the ship classes:
DN (Tank/area denial)
Destroyer (Midrange brawler/overall DPS)
Tac cruiser (Utility and healing)
Artillery (Duh)
Corvettes (Anti-artillery/ganking people that wander off alone because they're bad),

Weight ranges which are pretty strictly a trade off of health for speed (And sometimes damage, range, and other things in niche cases- Light snipers get 360 firing arcs vs restricted arcs on med/heavies, medium corvettes get full arcs vs lights)

Meanwhile, every ship gets the same combination of skills:
An offensive buff type skill (Plasma Ram, assault blink, siege mode)
secondary weapon/secondary utility (Think heavy torpedos, or autonomous repair pods)
defensive/utility (Anti-missile lasers, etc)
mobility/self buff (Cloaks, afterburners, warp jumps, self repairs, etc).

The skills are spread among multiple ship classes as well, although not every class gets access to every skill (Nuclear torpedoes are limited to DNs and DDs, etc)

It feels like it ends up working out better if you want to coordinate as a team, everyone has skills they can use to get themselves out of a jam, move around the battlefield, dump extra damage, etc. Especially when combined with your energy based skills. Everyone can amp up damage, defense, or mobility, sometimes with big multipliers because of skill and officer interactions.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any word on controller support?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

m.hache posted:

Any word on controller support?

They mentioned controller support on a livestream recently and they said it was something they were experimenting with. There hasn't been anything more conclusive than that, though.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Healer is credit to team!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Dead Like Rev posted:

Healer is credit to team!

Dead, tac cruiser slave mvp.

E: Goddamn, we were wrecking poo poo tonight, even when we were loving up we still came out on top.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 28, 2016

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Been playing this since alpha so its nice to see a thread here now that the nda stuff has been lifted. The game is fun and people should try it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Also we should get a list going of goons who play this, ign is kuvosa

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

This game is tons of fun. Is there any way to change your flagship?

EDIT: I figured it out. You have to click on your ship in the Hangar. Then when it opens up again, click on the picture of the ship again, select the ship you want to become the new flagship, then back out the the hangar and the new ship should be in the first slot.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 28, 2016

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Holy crap, getting the timing just right on Nuke->Warp Drive is the most fun poo poo. "Oh, you took a poo poo-ton of damage? Let me help!"

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
I've been extremely curious about this game since the teaser trailer ages ago, but haven't heard much about its development. Is the gameplay anything like Fractured Space? How bad is the grind/research element? If anyone is feeling generous enough to toss me a code, I'd much appreciate it.

Lazermaniac fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 28, 2016

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Lazermaniac posted:

I've been extremely curious about this game since the teaser trailer ages ago, but haven't heard much about its development. Is the gameplay anything like Fractured Space? How bad is the grind/research element? If anyone is feeling generous enough to toss me a code, I'd much appreciate it.

There are a ton of streamers giving away codes, hop in one of their channels and you can probably get one within a 1/2 an hour.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lazermaniac posted:

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send an invite your way.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Thanks for the code! The game is really a ton of fun. I could see this turning into something great with some polish.

A cool interesting thing I noticed is that it interacted with my Logitec G510 keyboard's light display. As my power depleted, my keyboard would go from green to red and then fade completely blank when I was out of power. It was a nice touch.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

if any of y'all have an extra key, I'll gladly make use of it. Been jonesing for a good space combat game for a while. no pms so vlk.3601 at gmail dot com

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Bad choices are made. a 5 day + download according by the launcher :negative:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I liked World of Tanks and World of Warships. Hope I don't regret buying a Founder's Pack, since I'm a huge sucker for collectibles in these games. Downloading now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lazermaniac posted:

Hard to say since the economy aspect isn't really locked down yet. Everything costs a single credit to buy at the moment. The only grind is a global captain rank, and each level has a few unlocks split between secondary weapons/modules/crew skills.
All the ships unlock by rank 25, which going by the last alpha test, took about 45 battles to reach with a 50/50 W/L ratio.

So you don't have to research/unlock individual ships like in WoWs/Tanks/War Thunder, you just get more stuff unlocked to buy as you level up.

There is no ultra obnoxious crew skill or slot restriction like Wargaming games though- Once you buy something you just have it, and you can swap out loadouts however much you want. No need to buy extra hangar bays/port slots/etc whatever to buy all the ships, you just buy them.

IIRC you can only save 5 preset loadouts at once, but hopefully that's something that gets improved as the UI gets better.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 28, 2016

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I suspect they will sell additional load out slots like mech bays in mwo.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Lazermaniac posted:

I've been extremely curious about this game since the teaser trailer ages ago, but haven't heard much about its development. Is the gameplay anything like Fractured Space?

It's 75% the same thing, but Dreadnought is focused more on arcade-like action where Fractured is focused more on MOBA tactics.
In Dread, everything is faster, there's actual cover for ships, and sense of scale actually exists, movement feels a lot more responsive and combat is always 15 seconds away.

Things that Dread misses the mark on include:
Graphics - Ships lack detail
Directional tactics - 90% of ships have 360 firing range
Variety - Fractured Space has a poo poo-ton of ability variety that all feel uniquely different compared to Dread which gives the same weapon/ability with slightly different effects.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea primary weapons in DN don't really feel very different at all. FS has some really good variety for primaries and the primary effects on using them successfully, too.

Same with the ship armoring- FS armor sections can be broken, but DN is just universal at the moment afaik.

I do think both have great looking ship designs, but I am a big fan of the extreme greebling that a lot of the FS ships have.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GOONNOUGHT made a steam group for Dreadnought

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
If there's any codes left floating around I'd love one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

• Locked thread