Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just write javascript geeze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i want to be able to code at the speed of sound while making stuff thats just as readable as someone else makes but takes half the time bc im not typing vestigial charactesr

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i use node. it's pretty good. apologies to all the decrepit cjs itt who hate new thing

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

code:
import Character from './Character'

export class Dilbert extends Character {
  constructor () {
    this.facingToBloodshed = false
  }

faceToBloodShed () {
    this.facingToBloodshed = true
  }
}
you can do stuff like this now for those who aren't aware

also
code:
myArray.includes('fart') // true

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

why is "./Character" a string

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

why is "./Character" a string

it's a filename :shrug:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

obstipator posted:

i want to be able to code at the speed of sound while making stuff thats just as readable as someone else makes but takes half the time bc im not typing vestigial charactesr

maybe you should spend time learning to touch type

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's a cj language, a terrible thing

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Ludwig van Halen posted:

it's a filename :shrug:

ew

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ban

this

sick

filth

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
I submitted a patch to node that fixed a lot of issues we were having at work w/ the node require system, and they decided to pull it in literally the day before v6 came out despite it completely changing some behavior -- still good for us, because the old behavior was loving mind boggling, but apparently there are like 5 other bespoke package managers out there that aren't npm that all use this poo poo to structure their apps and none of them work any more :getin:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GenJoe posted:

I submitted a patch to node that fixed a lot of issues we were having at work w/ the node require system, and they decided to pull it in literally the day before v6 came out despite it completely changing some behavior -- still good for us, because the old behavior was loving mind boggling, but apparently there are like 5 other bespoke package managers out there that aren't npm that all use this poo poo to structure their apps and none of them work any more :getin:

coworker tried running our node 5 app on 6 and it bombed. we had poo poo to do so we didn't bother to troubleshoot. i'm blaming your patch.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

if your app uses symlinks to structure its modules then it was 100% my patch

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GenJoe posted:

if your app uses symlinks to structure its modules then it was 100% my patch

don't think so. unless u mean using `npm link` sometimes to do module dev

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GenJoe posted:

is this the poo poo that made windows or windows vm hosts choke when installing packages via npm because the paths went so deep or something. a windows guy was complaining about it idk

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
coffeescript lol
just lol that people think the thing holding them back is having to type ( ) { } ,
javascript code, if it must be created, should be created using typescript.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

fleshweasel posted:

coffeescript lol
just lol that people think the thing holding them back is having to type ( ) { } ,

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

GenJoe posted:

finally a good use of javascript :getin:

fleshweasel posted:

people think the thing holding them back is having to type (_Y_)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

akadajet posted:

no, you really should avoid coffeescript these days. especially with node bc you can debug native es6 w/o sourcemaps and transpilation madness.

if u get dependent on coffeescript nobody is going to want to hire you.

compilation

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

GenJoe posted:

lol

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

did they ever fix that bug in npm where the progress bar made the install process take twice as long?

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

Ludwig van Halen posted:

did they ever fix that bug in npm where the progress bar made the install process take twice as long?

lol, people were seeing 100x cpu usage with the progress bar enabled. https://github.com/npm/npm/issues/11283

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

GenJoe posted:

lol, people were seeing 100x cpu usage with the progress bar enabled. https://github.com/npm/npm/issues/11283

how the gently caress do you use 100% CPU on a modern Intel chip drawing a progress bar?

answer: JavaScript

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

in the js community we are trans friendly

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

The Management posted:

how the gently caress do you use 100% CPU on a modern Intel chip drawing a progress bar?

answer: JavaScript

and also JavaScript is inherently single threaded so while the progress bar is wasting cycles the thing you want to install can't get cpu time

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
even browser js has the concept of worker threads now though

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Whats a tool that lets me boot 8 instances of node at once (i.e. one per core), look at and manage their state, restart an instance if it crashes, monitor cpu/mem for each, invoke a mem limit at which we force-kill it, etc?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

port your app to erlang

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Whats a tool that lets me boot 8 instances of node at once (i.e. one per core), look at and manage their state, restart an instance if it crashes, monitor cpu/mem for each, invoke a mem limit at which we force-kill it, etc?

https://nodejs.org/api/cluster.html

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Yeah but that doesn't do what I want without me having to type a lot of code. I'm more interested in a tool that someone else made because I dont want to do work.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Peanut and the Gang posted:

heroku

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

fleshweasel posted:

even browser js has the concept of worker threads now though

this week i wrote a background worker thread search (using lunr.js -- it's like solr but not so bright :haw:) of 15mb of text. the individual text documents are just xhr'd in, but the index has to be kept in memory, so keeping the search index off the main thread made the SPA quite a bit faster

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

crap nerd posted:

true but js is still bad, gently caress if i know what you should be using instead tho

JS is fine for front end development but if you're using it for more than just sending ajax request and manipulating Dom elements then you're doing it wrong

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i remember a few years ago you could not talk about node on SA, now everyone seems to like it

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

idk it turns out javascript is an o.k. scripting language when you don't have to deal with the poo poo-show of modern browser compatibility. it's just as bad (or good) as any other p-lang out there for web development -- I mean yeah if your lovely web app *needs* threading (it probably doesn't), or if you want to structure it with concepts that all p-langs are pretty bad at like OO (another hint, your web app probably doesn't need OO), then don't use it obviously, but it's fine for medium-scale web apps and stuff.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

GenJoe posted:

(another hint, your web app probably doesn't need OO)

:raise: are you talking about front end or back end code?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nothing needs oo

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

My favorite part of node is when someone says "eh I don't want to maintain this code anymore" and someone takes their package name then oops everything is now running malicious code

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

GenJoe posted:

idk it turns out javascript is an o.k. scripting language when you don't have to deal with the poo poo-show of modern browser compatibility. it's just as bad (or good) as any other p-lang out there for web development -- I mean yeah if your lovely web app *needs* threading (it probably doesn't), or if you want to structure it with concepts that all p-langs are pretty bad at like OO (another hint, your web app probably doesn't need OO), then don't use it obviously, but it's fine for medium-scale web apps and stuff.

idk i guess js is turing complete :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

My favorite part of node is when someone says "eh I don't want to maintain this code anymore" and someone takes their package name then oops everything is now running malicious code

lol

• Locked thread