Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

also lol at the people itt unironically defending javascript in tyool 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

BiohazrD posted:

My favorite part of node is when someone says "eh I don't want to maintain this code anymore" and someone takes their package name then oops everything is now running malicious code

npm posted:

if you try to unpublish a given package@version:
  • If the version is less than 24 hours old, you can unpublish it. The package will be completely removed from the registry. No new packages can be published using the same name and version.

• If the version is older than 24 hours, then the unpublish will fail, with a message to contact support@npmjs.com.

• If you contact support, they will check to see if removing that version of your package would break any other installs. If so, we will not remove it. You’ll either have to transfer ownership of the package or reach out to the owners of dependent packages to change their dependency.

• If every version of a package is removed, it will be replaced with a security placeholder package, so that the formerly used name will not be susceptible to malicious squatting.

• If another member of the community wishes to publish a package with the same name as a security placeholder, they’ll need to contact support@npmjs.com. npm will determine whether to grant this request. (Generally, we will.)

generally we will

http://blog.npmjs.org/post/141905368000/changes-to-npms-unpublish-policy

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 1, 2016

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
npm is Good.
oh no someone might want to use the name of a security package and npm allows it!!! what will we do! the package that no one would have dependencies on bc its a package that auto errors could now be used for malicious activities!!!

:rolleyes:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
javascript is bad

therefore npm is bad

H T H

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
npm is the only reasonable package manager if you want to get up to date versions of web libraries

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i still don't know the difference between npm and bower other than npm is a corporation i guess?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

fleshweasel posted:

npm is the only reasonable package manager if you want to get up to date versions of web libraries

LOL "web libraries"

like that must-have leftpad dependency.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mishaq posted:

also lol at the people itt unironically defending javascript in tyool 2016

it's a good way to make 6.5 figgies in 2016

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Doc Block posted:

javascript is bad

therefore npm is bad

H T H

eh

es6 isn't terrible

I just wouldn't use it for anything but front end development

in 10 years when you can actually feasibly support it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

eh

es6 isn't terrible

I just wouldn't use it for anything but front end development

in 10 years when you can actually feasibly support it

use babel. problem solved.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i still don't know the difference between npm and bower other than npm is a corporation i guess?

there's about 5 different JavaScript package managers. bower was made with the explicit intention of being used for the "front end". npm was made for node, the "backend". however, what everyone always had in mind for JS was the same packages being compatible with both the front and back. so now in modern development (and I mean if your project is made with the cutting edge frameworks and practices within the last 1-3 year) we just use npm for everything because the idea that you need different packages in different places for front and back is obsolete.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

to explain a little better, most web apps used to work by having a back-end and then a /public folder that stored your front-end stuff. the front end will have folders like /images /views /controllers/ and /assets (or some synonym). if the front-end used a dependency like jQuery, it would be in /assets/jquery/jquery.3.2.1.min.js or whatever.

now, things are "compiled", sort of. you can write your code in a form that a browser would never run. instead of your assets like jQuery needing to be in the /public folder somewhere, your compiler will go back one level into the /node_modules folder and get the resource, include it in the code, and there you go. no need for an /assets folder at all. in fact, things are often compiled into JUST a few .js files. images, code, HTML, it's all in .js files in base64 format or whatever.

so in the old way, bower was designed to populate the /assets. what it did differently besides populating the folder, i don't really know. except i know that by default it would save things into the /bower folder, but you could rename is /assets or /resources, which you can't do with node.

thanks for reading.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

but why

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quote:

no need for an /assets folder at all.

Thank god that was such a huge loving insurmountable hurdle.

Christ, we've finally made it!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

javascript is good for people who haven't been brain damaged by java style oop

yeah, javascripts insane style of oop is way better

there are poo poo tons of languages better than javascript in every way that you can use on the backend for server development. if you're reaching for js and you don't have to you screwed up somewhere along the way

Condiv fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 2, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i don't know anything about programming but i heartily lol at the idea of people using a language designed to make interactive buttons in web browsers to do backend application development

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mishaq posted:

i don't know anything about programming but i heartily lol at the idea of people using a language designed to make interactive buttons in web browsers to do backend application development

congratulations you are objectively more qualified than a node dev

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
no but you see actually,

PleasureKevin posted:

what everyone always had in mind for JS was the same packages being compatible with both the front and back

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

bower is a colossal pos that u should avoid

npm is alright most of the time

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

at least with npm the people registering the modules are usually the author

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

javascript is a colossal pos that u should avoid

:agreed:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

why isn't pleasure kevin on probation. fyad's been slacking

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

GameCube posted:

why isn't pleasure kevin on probation. fyad's been slacking

Pleasure levels have been very high lately. Must be related to the low probation levels.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pleasure suit kevin

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the lady who invented the compiler said the next challenge was making a universal programming language, but the biggest obstacle was pissy programmers who didn't want to change their ways

anyway look like java script bout to do it!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
thank you for highlighting all that text so I would know which part was important.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

PleasureKevin posted:

the lady who invented the compiler said the next challenge was making a universal programming language, but the biggest obstacle was pissy programmers who didn't want to change their ways

Java-script is the Jesus of computer langs.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Little known fact: the first computer was programmed by Java Script

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Java-script is the Jesus of computer langs.
give us barrabas!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

obstipator posted:

Little known fact: the first computer was programmed by Java Script

it went like this [spoilers]the buildings tumbled in on themselves[/spoilers]

computers were programmed with gears and poo poo, then punchcards replaced those, then assembly replaced that.

but the problem with assembly was it was different on every processor. so you'd bust your rear end trying to learn it, then it would be useless in 5 years at best.

so they made a language that unified them, plus used english words to boot

and one of the creators of that says basically we're in the assembly stage again where theres tonnes of different dialects and they need to be reigned in.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

it went like this [spoilers]the buildings tumbled in on themselves[/spoilers]

computers were programmed with gears and poo poo, then punchcards replaced those, then assembly replaced that.

but the problem with assembly was it was different on every processor. so you'd bust your rear end trying to learn it, then it would be useless in 5 years at best.

so they made a language that unified them, plus used english words to boot

and one of the creators of that says basically we're in the assembly stage again where theres tonnes of different dialects and they need to be reigned in.

she said that back in 1961.

no electronic computer was programmed with gears. prior to punch cards it was done with plugboards and poo poo like that. IIRC there were some experiments with mechanical computers, but people quickly realized that was bullshit, especially once the transistor was invented.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Doc Block posted:

thank you for highlighting all that text so I would know which part was important.

you think I highlighted that for you? I highlighted that for myself, boy

--Beyoncé

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

the man who invented the personal computer said that node is bad

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

love2es6

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doc Block posted:

she said that back in 1961.

no electronic computer was programmed with gears. prior to punch cards it was done with plugboards and poo poo like that. IIRC there were some experiments with mechanical computers, but people quickly realized that was bullshit, especially once the transistor was invented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1i-dnAH9Y4
educate your self bitch

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Once solid-state transistors became commercially available, the only place electronic computers didn't quickly replace mechanical ones was simple adding/counting machines like cash registers.

edit: that video pre-dates the commercial introduction of the solid-state transistor. I forgot that mechanical computers were a thing for bomb/gun sights in the 1940s and early 50s.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 3, 2016

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

most languages today are c dialects anyway. even then they're all Turing complete so you basically just have to know if/else and loops and you can basically do whatever in any language

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
how is es6 significantly worse than any other p-lang

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Flat Daddy posted:

how is es6 significantly worse than any other p-lang

is "this" still hosed up as hell in es6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Condiv posted:

is "this" still hosed up as hell in es6?

not really, no. arrow functions, modules, and strict mode (es5) fixed it for the most part.

• Locked thread