Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
NIOH

Dark Souls made by Team Ninja of Ninja Gaiden fame. PS4 Only. (PS4Pro Support confirmed! 4Kp30 or 1080p60)

Out now!

The main character is Geralt from The Witcher.
(Actually its loosely based historical William Adams; an English Sailor who landed in Japan)

Basically: A dark souls knockoff mixed with deeper combat techniques from Ninja Gaiden, set in a historical Japanese setting focusing on realistic Samurai style Katana, Spear, Axe and Ninja-magic fighting.

All the same mechanics you know and love from dark souls; same stats, hp/stamina (now called "ki"), bloodstains when people die, drop your souls on your own bloodstain and have to make it back in one life to recover your souls, summoning phantoms, etc. Fewer weapon classes but much deeper combat with lots of options.

More actual story than souls games; cutscenes with lots of dialogue and many named characters.

The game is in both Japanese and English regardless of which region you purchase. Dialogue is delivered in the language it is spoken in in-world, and you get subtitles if it doesn't match your own speaking language. Most of the game is spoken in Japanese with subtitles.

Over the course of several beta periods the game has been altered and refined and really shows a great deal of potential.

Single Player, 2 Player co-op with strangers or friends, and PvP coming after release.

Emalde posted:

https://discord.gg/25cFFs6

:siren: Everyone join and come hype out in the channel for the next 30 hours :toot: :siren:

WEAPONS:
Katanas - favor heart, lots of skills for parrying and movement and various speeds of strikes in different stances.
Dual Katanas - closest thing to having a shield in this game. Can attack very quickly with both, or can use one to parry like a shield while striking with the other.
Axes (also includes great hammers) - extremely huge slow-swinging weapons that deal crazy amounts of damage in a wide arc. Can kill enemies or players in only a couple strong hits, but uses tons of stamina with each swing and leaves the attacker open to counter-attack. Good at breaking block guards, so attacks must be dodged.
Spears - good for keeping enemies at range and making quick pokes or sweeping strikes to hit multiple foes. Can also vault into the air and strike from above.
Kusarigama - a chain and sickle, which in low stance attacks extremely fast, in medium stance attacks in wide sweeping arcs good at hitting several foes, or in high stance can be flung at range to hit enemies who cannot strike back.

Bows - fast firing ranged weapons that do moderate damage.
Muskets - slower firing ranged weapons that require time to aim, but hit much harder. Can kill humans instantly with a headshot.
Hand Cannons - slowest firing ranged weapons that require you to kneel and take position before firing, and slow to reload. Fires a shell which explodes and causes great damage.

SKILLS:
Each weapon type has its own skill tree. Leveling up the melee associated stats will grant you Samurai Skill Points which let you unlock new techniques for weapons of your choice.
Ninjitsu includes throwing shurikens, kunai, flaming shurikens, poison for your weapon, poison grenades as well as poison antidotes, caltrops, smoke bombs, and more. Poison and Paralysis.
Onmyo Magic includes boons to your attack or defense, curses on your opponents attack or life, healing for yourself or your party, or magic boosts to your weapon. Fire, Water, Earth and Lightning.

POKEMON:
You collect guardian spirits throughout the game, you can select one at a time to grant you boons. After filling up a meter of experience, you can unleash an extremely damaging weapon buff based on your guardian spirit, which gives you unlimited ki for a short time and massive damage. Guardian spirits can be summoned to assist you with attacks in battle, and if you die your guardian spirit will take the place of your death and hold your experience for you to return (like a dark souls bloodstain)

STATS:
Amrita - How much Experience you currently possess. (Souls, note that money and experience are separate in Nioh)
Gold - How much gold you currently carry. (Money but not experience)

Body - Affects Life and resistance to poison and paralysis. (HP)
Heart - Affects Ki. (Stamina from Souls)
Stamina - Affects Life and how much weight you can carry. (Endurance from souls)
Strength - Determines whether you can use heavier weapons and armor. (Strength duh)
Skill - Determines whether you can use more technical weapons and armor. (Like Dex in Souls)
Dexterity - Determines the effect and capacity of your Ninjutsu. (Kinda like Dex, but its own thing, and also used for Ninjitsu)
Magic - Determines the effect and capacity of Onmyo Magic. (Intelligence)
Spirit - Affects the power of your Guardian Spirit. (Kinda like Faith but more passive)

Life - Your life remaining. When it reaches 0, you die.
Ki - Your energy remaining. Attacks and evasions consume Ki, but it regenerates over time.
Equipment Weight - Total weight of your equipment.

Weapons have scaling in multiple stats, at least 3 but some have bonus attributes.

For example, Katanas have B+ scaling with Heart. To do the most damage with Katanas, you want lots of Heart. However, they also have C+ scaling with skill. Raising skill won't help as much, but will still make your katana attacks do more damage, and Skill will also improve your kusari damage. Similarly other weapons and skills will have overlapping bonuses you can take advantage of to syngergize, or you can focus on specializing on a single thing.

RPG STAT FIDDLING:
Toooons of randomly generated loot with various rarities and random bonus attributes, ala Diablo or Borderlands.
Gear can be forged, and has a chance to craft higher rarity gear. Crafting materials themselves come in rarities, and using rare crafting materials increases the odds of crafting a rare weapon or piece of armor.
You can re-roll the stats on a piece of gear for a fee.
You can fuse one piece of gear into another, such that the first gains the power level of the second while keeping its own abilities.
You can also alter the appearance of equipment to look like other equipment while maintaining their stats. Samurai armor can be changed to look like Ninja armor, or vise versa. No restrictions. Only costs a small amount of gold. Get your fashion on!

MULTIPLAYER:
Two entirely different ways to play multiplayer!

Note that you cannot be summoned for a level until you've already beaten it, so it is not currently possible to play the whole game co-op with a friend non-stop. One of you will need to progress in order to co-op with the other. But you can get a friend to assist if you're stuck on a boss.

Dark Souls Style co-op - Summon allies into your world just like dark souls. Do this at any bonfire/shrine, no soapstone signs involved. Can use a password to search for friends or summon random players. Summoned players appear as phantoms and if they die, the host stays and goes on alone, or can summon more help. If the host dies, all phantoms are instantly sent home. Only the host gets the credit for completion, although phantoms earn experience and get their own loot too.

Ninja Gaiden Style co-op - Play through an entire level as a single mission, in a co-op party. Can choose to summon friends, or use a password, or summon random players. You have a new meter which represents the party's overall health. If a player dies, the party meter drains slowly. Any player can instantly resurrect a dead teammate by visiting his bloodstain / guardian spirit. If the meter is fully drained, or all players die, then you fail the mission. Failing the mission means you only get 25% of the experience earned. You can freely try again over and over, and no items are required. All players participating receive full rewards for success of the mission. Visiting bonfires/shrines while in this mode does not allow you to stop or level up, and do not respawn enemies or refill your health. However, they do fill up the party meter some, and also give you a random bonus. You have to complete the entire mission in one go, unlike playing Dark Souls style where you can move from bonfire to bonfire one at a time. But the entire party stays together and can resurrect each other, so you don't have to abandon your dead friends. (Still requires one player to have completed the level first)

PvP - Not in the game at release, however the devs are working on it currently and have promised to release a full pvp mode in a patch post-release.

Revenants - Where players die they drop a bloodstain like dark souls. You will see other players bloodstains around the world if you are online, both in single player and co-op. If you wish, you can challenge any of these players bloodstains to a duel, and it will spawn an AI enemy that fights using that player's equipment at the time of their death. If you manage to defeat the revenant of the player you will earn some of that player's equipment!

Tips:
Unlike dark souls, you only save when you reach a shrine. You can log out anytime but progress since last shrine is lost.

If you die on the way to your bloodstain, you do not drop a new bloodstain. The amarita (xp) gained on the way is just lost. Then you retrieve your guardian spirit and can drop your amerita next time you die.

Go into game settings on the main menu (can't do it if you already loaded a save, have to go back) and switch to "action mode" for better framerate instead of "movie mode" (worse framerate, consistent resolution).

You have 3 stances, overhead, middle, and lower stance. Use R1+ Square/Triangle/X in order to change. R1 + Circle sheathes or unsheathes your blade.
Overhead is usually slower and harder hitting, and lower is usually faster and lighter hitting. But there are other differences. Some angles of attack are better in narrow passages, or on inclines. Some attacks are better at a single opponent while others have more reach for keeping multiple foes at bay.

Attacking uses stamina. Dodging uses stamina. Blocking uses stamina. Running out leaves you very vulnerable.
If you run out of stamina completely, you will become exhausted and unable to move at all for a few seconds, like monster hunter. Always try to avoid this.

You can see the stamina bar of your opponents, unlike dark souls. Trying to break their guard, and managing your own stamina versus theirs is key. Attacking constantly doesn't mean you'll run out of stamina if you time your 'stance reset' right, as your opponent may be losing as much stamina as you are when he gets hit or blocks. Sometimes going all-out is the best strategy. Other times dodging away to recover stamina is smarter.

Weapons don't have weight so don't hesitate to put a big rear end axe or whatever in your second slot.

If your opponent gets knocked on the ground, doing a basic heavy attack (triangle) will cause you to stab him on the ground for tons of damage real easy. If your opponent is completely without stamina and winded, doing a basic heavy attack will cause you to stab him through the stomach like a bloodborne visceral attack, for tons of damage.

Pressing R1 to "reset stance" at the end of a combo string will return an amount of stamina based on how long the combo string was and when you timed the R1 press. As you're doing attacks in a combo, you'll see your stamina drain, and part of the bar will that drained will remain as a different color. At the end of the string, the bar will start to refill that different-color part. If you time it right and press R1, you will quickly reset to your default "stance" which readies you for another attack, and you will receive the amount of stamina that had filled back up in the different-colored bar when you pressed it. If you time it wrong or if you don't press it, you simply regain control after the bar fills back up, but you get no bonus stamina back. This works kinda like the reload mechanic in Gears of War, its a timing trick which allows you to fight continuously if you use disciplined attacks instead of button spamming.

Stance reset also allows you to clear the black Yokai demon pools, which otherwise drain you and are nasty.

Early wiki link: http://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Nioh+Wiki

Health, stamina, lock on, big bosses; look familiar?

All kinds of Onimusha demons up in here

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FXIlzYBbJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXJRkjn-b4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mooyx7TS2gI

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
This game looks cool but it's a PS4 exclusive and TBH I'm pretty much done with buying consoles.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Everything about this is promising but at the same time terribly janky, so hopefully "alpha" actually means what it's supposed to here; the environments are also pretty drat ugly and need some polish. So far I can't tell if the insane difficulty of engaging two or more enemies at once is due to the game or just not being acquainted with it yet. Also really not a fan of having to be generic grizzled action hero protagonist, don't know why Team Ninja and the people that made Lords of the Fallen aren't able to realize that people love the character creator in Dark Souls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I miss a character creator and don't like everybody being Geralt at all. Like you said, Lords of the fallen made the same mistake.

Especially if they're going to copy souls and let us summon phantoms. I haven't had any success with that in the demo, but I haven't tried much. Not sure if we're even really able to. But if we all look the same, summoning phantoms is gonna be weird and dumb. I guess they could give you a random generic face if you're a phantom? But that feels dumb too.

Ultimately it'll be like souls where we're all doing ~fashion souls~ with our armor so not a huge deal, but still, its dumb.

I agree the graphics are unpolished as hell and performance sucks, but I really enjoy the way it plays overall and I think the setting is fantastic and a good change from medieval horror souls.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You say the performance is bad but it easily averages twice ds3's ps4 framerate even in movie mode.

Anyway low stance is pretty dece for dealing with groups because you reload stamina when dodging so you can get in and out without worrying too much about it.

E: You can put yourself into matchmaking to be summoned after you finish the first stage

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
What's kind of odd about Ni-oh is I tried the demo, kind of liked it, but I still deleted it.

It's definitely a different kind of difficult than the Souls series, even though it's taking a lot of clear inspiration from it. The combat feels almost a bit too fast, but it's also something I can see getting easier with time. It's very much Ninja Gaiden style combat, you and your enemies are both really frail if the combo goes right. Probably will come back to the final game when it's out but I totally didn't have the patience to bother gitting gud at the demo.

Pretty though! Some bits of the environment sucked (the weird little grass square patches stand out like a sore thumb) but it's a good looking game overall.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lets hang out posted:

You say the performance is bad but it easily averages twice ds3's ps4 framerate even in movie mode.

Anyway low stance is pretty dece for dealing with groups because you reload stamina when dodging so you can get in and out without worrying too much about it.

E: You can put yourself into matchmaking to be summoned after you finish the first stage

I'm playing DS4 on PC locked at 60fps, so I wouldn't know :cheeky: Some areas run better than others, but there's some areas where it definitely drops down really bad.

But even if it isn't technically impressive, I do like the look of the old-timey Japanese village and everything. Great setting.

Low stance does seem good at dealing with groups, I was noticing that. Lots of very very fast attacks and long combo strings as a result, and quick to slash and then dodge out. Still, the camera makes dealing with groups very hard. It does the same "lock on and use right stick to change targets" as souls, but it just doesn't feel quite as good for some subtle reason.

And I figured that was going to be the case. I got to the boss last night so I'll try to clear him and do some co-op tonight!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 27, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can parry barehanded and it's awesome

https://a.pomf.cat/dqzbor.webm

More hot tips:

Weapons don't have weight so don't hesitate to put a big rear end axe or whatever in your second slot.

Make sure you buy the combo finisher moves, some of them are really good, like the high stance spear one automatically reloads your stamina when you do it.

Shoot dudes in the face with arrows it does so much damage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good point about weapons not having weight, I noticed that last night and forgot. Added to the OP.

There's a skill you can unlock for mid-stance katana the lets you press L1+Square to do a parry, which then puts you directly BEHIND your opponent. IT RULES. Seems like its impossible or hard to parry some heavy attacks like Axe swings, but for quick attacks its pretty easy to get off the parry and then you're set up to just murder somebody from behind.

Oh poo poo, that reminds me about being able to do Triangle attacks as finishers on the ground or on enemies that are out of stamina, for an awesome visceral attack like bloodborne. I'll add that to the OP tips as well.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How the heck do you execute the Up+X combo finishers for low stance? Whenever I try to do it William (the protagonist, some real world white dude who became an actual samurai in real life) does a weird dash.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

NPC bloodstains seem to have a pretty good chance of exploding into loot like pinatas when you beat them so they're worth giving a shot. I found Kou Shibusawa in a cave near the end of the first stage but I couldn't beat him.

Btw I think there might be more playable characters in the full game because on the stage select screen it says WILLIAM with a picture of the dude on the side as though you'd need to be aware of who you're playing as for that stage.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I love parrying in this game and not feeling like it's a total crapshoot against some enemies. The only thing I don't like is the limited quick item slots when you start getting more ninjutsu and onmyo magic.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Any suggestions on what stats to focus on?

Or what to spend samurai points on? I can't tell if me putting all of my points in high axe stance will gently caress me over but god is it fun to smash dudes with a large axe.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think this alpha demo is great and it's the perfect way to whet my appetite for this title. I'm surprised by how many posts I've seen by people who have already written off either the game or the alpha, but not too surprised. I don't have any hot tips to add, but I'll second the complaint that there aren't enough quick item slots. Since you're always going to want one of them to be your healing item, you're left with two slots for any item, ninjitsu or magic ability that you want at the ready. Already I have the fire buff, throwing stars and a poison bomb as abilities, but I have to leave one out every time I engage an enemy. There's got to be a better way, like "Hold Circle and press the D-pad to alternate pockets" or something.

Well, here's something I noticed. The starting Mariner's armor set provides almost no protection but can be sold (offered at the shrine) for 60-some Amrita. When you're trying to get your first few levels, stick around the shrine and summon dead guys to fight. Use your elixers and take the time to practice, and if you die you should be close enough to recover your Spirit Guardian without a problem. When you kill a summoned guy, they have a high chance of dropping their equipment. Kill summons, sell their mariner's clothing, get levels before getting to the second enemy.

Summoning and killing people was also how I got my second weapon when my first (and only) sword was about to break. A little while later and I'm flush with more weaponry than I know what to do with.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

Or what to spend samurai points on? I can't tell if me putting all of my points in high axe stance will gently caress me over but god is it fun to smash dudes with a large axe.

nope, i beat the game focusing entirely on high axe

some tips:

you can donate unused items to the shrine for xp and usable items including elixers and repair stuff. i never had less than 5 repair items of each sort and i used them constantly

use shurikens to lure

tiring out the enemy is king against human enemies, none of them should be able to hurt you if you play well

look for the little green dudes and rescue them for big bonuses

the stamine recharge system works like the active reload in gears of war, if you understand it you can attack twice as often as normal

if you beat a big smoke enemy its gone forever, so don't die at the same time or you will lose out on those items

on the same note, make sure to upgrade to better gear regularly

you can do drop/jump kills just like in souls

on another note, i had zero fps drops, not sure what people are talking about with that

fighting multiple enemies at the same time isn't that hard after a while either, since you can just instantly murder the weak ones and tire out the strong ones

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I put ALL my levels into Body and Heart. I think that's a solid way to go early on (and the demo is only so long anyways)

The other stats don't seem to make enough of a difference early on.

Samurai points, just pick a fighting style and stance and unlock things for it. Half of them are just passives like "do 5% more damage with mid-stance katana attacks" or whatever, so that can't hurt. Others are cool moves like the parry that puts you behind them.

Davincie posted:

look for the little green dudes and rescue them for big bonuses

Kodama! Its straight out of Princess Mononoke :3:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Focus on whatever, try new things. If you look at the list of Guardians under the "Switch Guardian Spirit" tab at the shrine you'll see the bonuses each one gives you for having it equipped. Some of these stats, the bottom two, have Spirit requirements. That's a stat goal right off the bat, but I'd recommending putting points into either Strength or Skill so you deal more damage, body for the health, heart or whatever for the Ki. Ki is pretty important, since running out in battle will leave you completely defenseless while it restores. Just pay attention to what the skill increases are giving you on your character sheet on the right-hand side of the screen.

I'd recommend spreading out your skill points more than focusing on one stance for one weapon. You get plenty of points, so I'd recommend grabbing the basic skills for each stance of your favorite weapon, then doing the same for the other weapons. Basic skills like Triangle at the end of a combo, or Square while guarding, that sort of thing. Once you have the core move set unlocked, then you can dump points into increasing damage/decreasing Ki cost for your Axe Smash technique.

Has anyone noticed a non-cosmetic difference for the different types of weapons? Like, for the axe move set, there's axes and hammers. And there are two differing icons for some swords. I haven't experimented with the swords, but I didn't notice a difference when I switched from an axe to a hammer, and I was wondering if it came down to type of damage dealt - which would make sense - or nothing at all.

I really wish I was playing this right now, but I probably won't get a chance until late tonight if at all. :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i put all my points in strength and that worked fine for me. every level gets you health, damage for your axe and 2 samurai points

i didn't notice any real difference between axe and hammers

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm looking forward to getting off work so I can continue clawing my way through stage 2. Every inch forward is a huge struggle for me, it's really satisfying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I'm looking forward to getting off work so I can continue clawing my way through stage 2. Every inch forward is a huge struggle, it's really satisfying.

Stage 2, so there's more to do after the boss? drat, pretty nice demo. Lets us do more than the Dark Souls betas did.

Or do you just mean the later docks area after the first village bit?

LawfulWaffle posted:

I really wish I was playing this right now

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's a real stage 2 after you beat the boss of stage 1, though I've seen people say it's a lot shorter.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah its a graveyard area about a third the size of the first map

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/181161-nioh/73652896

Explains all the mechanics really well

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

idgaf, I'm probably going to play through the demo more than once.

I recommend putting at least a level or two into Spirit, because you get Magic points and can get an item that gives your weapon an elemental coating for a short (30-45sec) while. The buff is a uses/rest system like Dark Souls 1 & 2, but being able to give a weapon a damage boost and apply status conditions (like burning, unsure about other elements) is a nice thing to have up your sleeve. I'm sure you can chop your way through with the biggest axe you can find, but I like mixing up my equipment and trying weapons I'm not confident with, and fire spear + sweeping attacks is a pretty fun way to kill a dude or two.

Also arrows are king, headshots do 10x the damage and can easily kill someone outright. Arrows are common but if you're like me and are coming off of DS3 after using the bow and wooden arrows like a blind man uses a cane, you'll run out quickly. Use stones or better yet the shurikens to draw out enemies and save the arrows for getting free damage on tougher, unsuspecting enemies.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

This game is hard as gently caress and made me quit in frustration yesterday night because I couldn't deal with multiple enemies. Then I got better (used the ancient samurai tactic of running the gently caress away and throwing stones) and managed to get to the ship.
With a little polish this is gonna be the game of the year of whatever year it comes out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I adore this game and I'm gonna plunk down the cash the second I get a chance to on the PSN. Playing this game reminds me of how I felt playing Demon's Souls all the way back when it first came out and I'm really enjoying learning how it all works and putting the systems together. It's got a lot of that first-try Demon's jank to it and obviously can't be as polished as the final Dark Souls which had years of prior work built up but I think Team Ninja really has something here with this. Stamina affecting everyone is a really cool decision, I like the damage system where position and hit location matters, and the setting is such a wonderful breath of fresh air from Soulsborne's. At first I didn't really care for the loot system because I do enjoy Souls' style of unique drops placed around the world, but it scratches that Diablo/Borderlands-y coloured loot itch when you slice off a spear guy's head and like five items drop out of him.

What exactly do the Kodamas do when you rescue them? I found 6/7 when going through the fishing village and can't remember for the life of me what they did.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

I think they give you an xp bonus when you get back to a shrine and can also give you blessings in exhange for money, minor stuff like +3% xp and stuff like that.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Ki Pulse in action. Watch the stamina/Ki bar. After every attack or attack string, the white part depletes, revealing a red portion. After the attack, a grey bar begins to fill up the red portion. Pressing R1 during this time restores the Ki up to where the grey bar got to. If the grey bar exceeds the red portion, the grey portion is lost and the white bar begins to refill. Blocking also causes the grey and red portion to disappear, and you'd take a Ki hit for blocking, so the DS strategy of attacking then blocking isn't going to do you any favors here. Instead, attack, press R1 to regain your Ki, then block/attack/evade as needed. Also note that in the low stance, evading triggers the Ki Pulse, so you can attack a bunch, wait a second for the grey bar to fill up the red, then dodge behind the enemy to refill that Ki and be ready to attack again. Evading in mid or high stance will consume the grey and red bars, as well as the normal Ki cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONfUQ_eTOF8

This was very helpful for me, and I look forward to putting it into practice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Popping dudes' heads clean off at the end of a combo never gets old. I just wanna decapitate people all day.

This is how I play Nioh:

"You fight like a demon!"

Policenaut posted:

What exactly do the Kodamas do when you rescue them? I found 6/7 when going through the fishing village and can't remember for the life of me what they did.

You can visit a shrine and get a Kodama Blessing, which is a bonus to loot drops. One is just bonus to experience I think, the others are like "favors sword drops" or "favors armor drops", they're ways to help mitigate the RNG if you're getting hosed over, which is a GREAT idea since they're doing more random diablo style loot than souls does.

The more you get, the more bonus you get. Its a reward for finding more and more of them hidden in levels, like Gold Skultulas. I love it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
seems a bit excessive to have early game enemies kill you in one hit with no armor on WE WANT THE SOULS AUDIENCE

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Here are the other videos from that GameFAQs post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW8bZ6QCZGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWfJRNlff74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Jd9zq9vnI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMIsvAiMb7k

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like that this game feels more like Team Ninja saw what Souls was doing, liked it, and slapped it into their samurai game. It doesn't feel derivative, and actually feels like it's pushing the format into new directions; the combat is great and the mechanics look quite interesting, although the game is clearly still in need of a little more dev time. I played three hours last night and didn't even find a boss yet, so it's a nice big demo.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Man these look cool but it seems easier in game just to high stance or use axe and kill enemies in 2 to 3 hits rather than go all ninja and take 20 hits to kill something.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Man these look cool but it seems easier in game just to high stance or use axe and kill enemies in 2 to 3 hits rather than go all ninja and take 20 hits to kill something.

yeah but will you look and feel cool doing it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I dunno, seems pretty balanced to me. Its not that simple really, there's special moves you can do that other fighting styles don't have. Does the axe have a parry that puts you behind the enemy? I don't think so but I didn't dig through all the samurai skill trees exhaustively.

I tried using the axe and it was so slow I ended up taking tons of damage. Katana makes way more sense, and I still kill most enemies in 3 to 4 hits instead of 2 to 3, big whoop?

If you like high stance and axe, do it, but I really don't think its by far the best way or the only way to play or anything.

Especially, this is just the first zone. These enemies are tutorial enemies, as hard as they can be. Things are only going to get nastier. Using an axe effectively could get really tricky.

But if you wanna make your character Dian Wei or Lu Bu instead of a samurai, do it!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I like that this game feels more like Team Ninja saw what Souls was doing, liked it, and slapped it into their samurai game. It doesn't feel derivative, and actually feels like it's pushing the format into new directions; the combat is great and the mechanics look quite interesting, although the game is clearly still in need of a little more dev time. I played three hours last night and didn't even find a boss yet, so it's a nice big demo.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel. Lords of the Fallen felt like a pale imitation of Souls, they tried to do a few things different but it was very similar and just not quite as good.

This on the other hand almost feels like something FROM could have done themselves, maybe in collaboration with Team Ninja. It feels like a proper souls' offshoot like Bloodborne, but also changes up a ton of things so it actually feels more fresh than Dark Souls 3 does. (I still love DS3 to pieces, don't get me wrong)

There's a lot of questions still, they need to improve the performance, how long will it be, how much level variety and boss variety will there be, but there's so much potential here its crazy. Knowing Team Ninja I'm pretty drat sold on this.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Which game will come out first? Nioh or Persona 5?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The demo is really long and sold me on the game. Here's me fighting the second boss in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4bduQgXDSE

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

The demo is really long and sold me on the game. Here's me fighting the second boss in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4bduQgXDSE

Judging from the very end of your video, it looks like Nioh will have discrete missions? With rewards and an incentive to go through areas again? Maybe that was just you getting the DLC stuff, but it seems weird to see a map with locations you can select and move to(?).

Orv
May 4, 2011
So it's interesting. The combat system is very Team Ninja, there's a lot to like with comboing stances and evasions and the Ki Pulse system is a neat thing. The atmosphere is somewhat less impressive but it's hardly a point against. I think what is a point against is that with its lethality, wanting to play Dark Souls tricks, guys in blind corners, dick archer moments, that kind of thing, is maybe a bad call. The bosses were cool but I'm not sure even within the two of them that there was enough to recommend a full game out of. Definitely a game I'll keep an eye on but less impressed than I was hopeful for from a couple E3s ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Full cleared, got enough spirit for my Hawk bonus then all points into Ninjutsu with spear.

Fire Shurikens rule.
Those brown zombiod fuckers that crawl on the ground and spit poison/throw rocks are the toughest enemies in the whole game.