Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I took a poo poo out of my treestand while deer hunting once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Did you hit the deer?

With the poop, I mean.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Pooped in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Kill Devil Hills when I was younger. Dad didnt feel like taking me back to the house and said just get deep enough and pinch one off. This was before we knew about sharks eating people.

I'd rate this poop a 9/10 because it made me feel at one with all the other ocean making GBS threads species.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

stinkypete posted:

Philmont Scout Ranch at the Black Mountain Pilot to Bombardier shitter a hike way up that hill. Most peaceful poo poo ever. I still brag about this one. Such a pretty View!

I have pooped in that same pilot to bombardier and came here to post about it

hello poop brother

e: Also a red roof near tooth of time because i had been holding it forever and almost poo poo myself trying to find a place to drop trou instead of having to carry the poop kit into base camp

Fellis fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 23, 2016

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Descending Mt Rainier from Camp Muir. Had to scurry off into a rocky talus area because everything else was open snowfield. Felt righteous to poo poo on a mountain.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
On top of a slash pile in a three-year-old clearcut about a 10 minute heli ride from Wabasca, Alberta.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Into a bottomless crevasse running the border of Chile and Argentina atop Mt Tronador

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Crotch posted:

On top of a slash pile in a three-year-old clearcut about a 10 minute heli ride from Wabasca, Alberta.

In my buddy's plot, and he stepped in it, in retaliation for some pretty inconvenience

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He shouldn't have taken the lightest box at the cache.

hold hands at the park
Apr 12, 2008
I tried to poop on a steep hillside in some bushes out in the wilderness. I don't like to use toilet paper out there so I wiped the bulk of the poop with some sticks then tried to splash some water on my rear end in a top hat and wipe it with my hand. But the hillside put me at a very awkward angle and poo poo water ran down all over my pants. So I took them off and walked back to my campsite and thankfully it was a weekday so nobody passed by.

Reforger
Apr 9, 2004

Master of Matebas
In the San Francisco Golden Gate Park. I was walking on ocean beach when nature violently called. I made it to a public toilet in Golden Gate Park but it was locked, so I had to go into the bushes. It was winter and it rained constantly so there weren't many people around but I still dreaded detection. Thankfully I had paper tissues. I covered the dirty deed with some leafs and branches and went my way. First time I outdoor pooped in a city.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Does inside a taxi cab still count as outside? If not, probably the Sleeping Bear dunes

That's not the ocean it's Lake Michigan.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Hanging off the side of a boat after a 60 minute dive near Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia.

Wall diving, crazy strong currents. Watched it sink with my goggles until the current whipped it away.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

crowtribe posted:

Hanging off the side of a boat after a 60 minute dive near Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia.

Wall diving, crazy strong currents. Watched it sink with my goggles until the current whipped it away.

magical

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dropped a deuce on the PCT a couple months ago while looking at glacier peak, it was gorgeous.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Missed the school bus and had to walk 2.5 miles home. I was almost home, like maybe 100 feet but the turtle was poking its head out. My subdivision had two rows of houses with their backyards facing each other, separated by woods and walking path in the middle of it all. I was walking on this path and squatted near some bushes in these woods, and laid out a good footlong turd. Walked by the spot a couple days later and it was gone.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Painted Desert

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
We felt so lucky when we scheduled the High Sierra Trail for July 4th lat year. Unfortunately, the overnight parking lot in the Mt Whitney portal was being repaved, so short of hitching an 11 hour ride all the way back to Sequoia, a thru-hike was out of the question. Oh well, we thought, we'll just yo-yo it. What's the worst that could happen.

:doink:

Before setting out for 10 days in the backcountry, we stopped by the Sequoia ranger station for our permits. The ranger ran through the usual protocol of 'Leave No Trace' ethics, then handed us two wag-bags. "We've had a lot of trouble with waste in the Whitney region, so you need to pack it out past Crabtree Meadow." the ranger told us. I asked if there's a place to dispose of them. While the exact response is hazy, to avoid accusations of libel, he tells us they can be disposed of at the ranger station. "So we have to carry them around til then?" we ask. Yeah, but they are airtight, so it should be good for a while." he assures us.

We hike to the base of Whitney, camping amid the grass covered valley of granite, reminiscent of a golf-course on the moon. Come morning, we have a summit hike ahead of us and, wanting to shed excess weight and avoid potential catastrophe, we take care of business into our wagbags. The plan is simple, hike to the summit, hike back down, sleep. With this in mind, we leave our tent, sleeping bag, and pads in place. Aware of the numerous marmots in the area and their fondness for anything plastic, in a spur of the moment decision, we also left the wag-bags inside the tent for safe keeping.

After an uneventful summit, we return early to our tent exhausted and hungry, only to be greeted by an overwhelming smell. While we were summiting, the tent turned into an oven, fermenting in the wagbags until they inflated beyond the limit of their seals. They never exploded, but they didn't need to, instead venting their fumes over every single surface of our tent and gear. It is a pungent scent, part sweet, part rotten, but the slightest whiff cuts right to the most fundamental animal recognition of corruption. Greeted by the prospect that at least a thousand dollars worth of gear has been contaminated beyond recovery, we focus solely on the need to dispose of these balloons as quickly as possible. Remembering the assurance of the ranger, we pack up and hike.

I carry the wagbags in a grocery bag hanging off my pack, feeling bad for every hiker we pass who must assuredly be walking through an unmistakable cropdusting I leave in my wake as the bags continue to vent. We reach Crabtree after sunset, and I beeline to the ranger to ask where to dispose of this burden. "You have to pack it out like everything else." she tells us. "But the ranger told us..."
"I don't know who you talked to, but you were supposed to dispose of it at Whitney Portal. Otherwise, you have to carry it the rest of the way back." After some pleading, she gives me a trashcan liner to double bag them. We set up camp and attempt to sleep in a gas-chamber of our own design.

Mid-way through the restless night, we attempt a thorough scrubbing of every surface with wetwipes, to minimal avail.

We wake to find every piece of equipment still reeking with the smell of jenkem. Worse, the bags have reinflated and continue to impart their scent into everything in the vicinity. Knowing there's no chance we can carry these for another 4 days, we weigh the option of just burying them. As a last ditch effort, I talk to the ranger again, who explains that this is an ongoing problem, and if I don't pack them out, she will have to do so herself. After substantially more pleading, she acquiesces and allows us to leave them among the other stragglers in two full 5 gallon buckets.

We packed up our still tainted gear and hiked 15 miles in silence. At the end of the day, we set up camp and found the smell had mostly outgassed, leaving only fading traces. That night, we had the Kern hotspring all to ourselves, and everything was right with the world.

Mark my words, whoever was stationed at the Crabtree Ranger station on the morning of July 7th, 2016, deserves a promotion.

A Horse Named Mandy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 17, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
better than the people who just drop them over the edge of the trail up on Whitney! gently caress those people

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
That raises the question: are they pooping in a bag and throwing it off the edge, or are they hanging their rear end over the edge and letting it rip?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Why on earth would you bring a poo poo bag into your tent?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

That raises the question: are they pooping in a bag and throwing it off the edge, or are they hanging their rear end over the edge and letting it rip?

flinging the bag off the edge though I wouldn't put it past people to poo poo off the side of the cliff for laughs either. making GBS threads off the edge would probably be better though

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Verman posted:

Yeah if the marmots want the poo poo that badly let em have it.

But I'd just poop outside and maybe throw a bit of dirt on it, poo poo's biodegradable anyway. I was in boy scouts and never heard of 'pack it out' also including poop.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Pack it out is a "leave no trace" ethic which most wild areas in the states require while on the backcountry. Usually it only requires digging a shallow hole and burying it but some places are more fragile, have too much traffic or simply don't have the soil in which to bury it.

Human poo poo takes a while to deteriorate especially in places that don't have good deep soil. Add in the amount of traffic and it literally piles up.

People are disgusting and lazy animals. The average person would gladly poo poo within spitting distance of where they eat and get their water.

I've been to a site and saw a massive pile of human poo poo and toilet paper 10 feet away from the tent pad. I've also been to a site and seen a gallon sized zip lock bag full of old food obviously hidden in a bush close enough to the tent pads that you could hit it by pissing out of your sleeping bag.

Rules for managing waste are good. Nobody wants to camp in a poo poo infested site or climb a rocky ridge smothered in dry poo (smothering poop on rocks to dry in the sun was and is a thing).

Verman fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 18, 2017

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Verman posted:

In retrospect it was a horrible idea, but at the time it made some kinda sense. At most campsites, the local fauna have learned to associate any and all plastic with food and will tear it apart to get inside. So our options were to take the bags with us up a mountain (not ideal), stash them in the bear canister with our food (hell no), or hide them in the tent.

The soil around Guitar Lake is very thin and the whole basin is basically one big water source, so we were doing our best to be good people. You'd be surprised how quickly those ethics go out the window when you spend an entire night being kept awake stewing in a sewage smell so bad it never normalizes.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I took a dump next to a stream in the Cascades that was running at full flood. The water was a white roar and it was mesmerizing as I tried to push out a meal that had previously consisted of legumes, crackers, and Turkey flavoring.

I also dropped a log on top of a mudhill in Anza-Borrego State Park, overlooking dozens of miles of desert.

Verman posted:

A lady I knew kept a tupper ware in her pack so she could piss in it when she woke up in the middle of the night. Kinda gross but I can understand that moment when you wake up in the middle of the night, it's 20 degrees outside, and all you want to do is stay in your mummy bag.

Also, it's a really common thing to be hiking in the desert and find toilet paper strewn around in bushes. Idiots bury their loving TP, animals or wind excavate it, and poop paper ends up strewn everywhere by the wind.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Supposedly Trail Camp smelled like a sewer and the water supply was dodgy until they forced people to start using wag bags. Still would hate to camp there...crowded quarters and everyone's got their wag bag proudly sitting out

e: I think they even had basically port-a-potties at one point but they couldn't keep up with the waste and it was just a mess.

I think Guitar Lake was getting similarly bad. If I do Whitney again I might just hike over to Hitchcock lakes instead to camp since Guitar Lake is so crowded

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

RIP the Throne (that toilet on Mt.Whitney). What a magnificent crapper, too amazing to live.Gawddamn gubbermint :bahgawd:

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Neitherman posted:

I poop outside a lot less than I'd like to so my list is pretty short. I pooped in Payson, AZ, right near the edge of the Mogollon Rim. That was pretty good scenery for poopin'

I had a proud moment at the end of hunting season last fall. I realized that over the previous two months or so I'd pooped outside about 80% of the time.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Buddy of mine has some criteria for rating your backpacking/camping poos:

How good was the poop itself?
How good was the view?
How good of a perch was it?
Availability of wiping materials
Wildlife sightings while pooping

Best poo was when we were backpacking in the Uintas in Utah and made it to the top of a pass. Had a beautiful view, a nice perch, and watched a big rear end hawk swoop down and grab a mouse or something right in front of us. Quite amazing.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I pooped on my last backpacking trip, it was like a badge of honor.

Except I picked the most scenic place, a nice evergreen forest .. this was a bad idea, because digging a hole was super super hard because of all the roots. Oh well, did it, buried it. It was nice to become one with nature.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Poopelyse posted:

Buddy of mine has some criteria for rating your backpacking/camping poos:

How good was the poop itself?
How good was the view?
How good of a perch was it?
Availability of wiping materials
Wildlife sightings while pooping

Best poo was when we were backpacking in the Uintas in Utah and made it to the top of a pass. Had a beautiful view, a nice perch, and watched a big rear end hawk swoop down and grab a mouse or something right in front of us. Quite amazing.

were you pooping together?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Friends who poo together glue together.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Almost together... just on either side of a bunch of trees or something

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I might have been literally pooping when I took this

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Nice focus

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
At Heart Lake in Yellowstone National Park, by the campsites, is a pit toilet. It's just a toilet set over a hole in the ground, with no sort of enclosure. Its about an 8 mile hike into the Yellowstone back country, and the views are stunning.

This was before I had a smart phone, I stole this picture from a GIS. I distinctly remember that log, that photo was probably taken at the campsite I slept in. The toilet was 100 or so yards to the right from where the photographer was facing, with the toilet facing in the same direction.

Edit: posted before reading the thread. The toilet looked just like the boulder pass toilet in Glacier National Park from the last page.

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 29, 2017

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I was hiking on Sunday up Mount Dickerman in the Cascades.

I had to poop at the trailhead, no worries there was an outhouse. Then I had to poop halfway up the trail and it wasn't waiting for me to find an ideal place. The area was pretty steep and not a whole lot of flat ground to wander off. I waddled past the switchback/turnoff in this meadow and found a hidden little spot behind a rock/tree and on a slope. My thighs were burning from squatting, and I made the mistake of pooping uphill. I got some on my finger, then that got on the roll of toilet paper, the side no less tainting the entire roll.

The cleanup took longer than the deed. I've been lucky that I haven't had to do it in a while but clearly my skills have gotten dull.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I once pooped into a dying camp fire out in Tillamook, Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Android Apocalypse posted:

I once pooped into a dying camp fire out in Tillamook, Oregon.

So that's where that signature Tillamook tang comes from.

I shat against the side of a 200 year old barn once, looking out over a pasture of million dollar quarter horses. The plumbing for humans left something to be desired.

• Locked thread