Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, any team still in need of a player? I'm good for a rune here or there, and can probably eek out a MiBe win before switching to killing caster after caster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Tollymain posted:

please join my awful, terribly named team

code:
Vashnias Violet Vorarephiliacs

1: Tollymain
2: Thalamas
3: LORDOFBUTT
4: unimpressed
5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Tollymain

And me

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

You don't really need a stash, other than for organisational purposes, but it is more ordered to have one. I usually stash on L1 or on the D level where the Lair entrance is.

Really, I find the whole stash thing quite tedious. I also understand the need for limited inventory. It would be nice if there was another unlimited item storage that you could swap items in and out of the inventory to, maybe at a high turn cost or something like that so it doesn't just turn into a big inventory.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Hey PF, is there a devs team in the tournament? Would be interesting to see how you guys stack up.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I better try one quickly before PF nerfs all the fun out of it. :argh:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Its pointless to nerf anything related to DD because a DD of Mahkleb is always gonna be the closest thing to easy mode in Crawl.

DD is a terribly flawed species from a balance perspective.

How so? I've never come close to doing anything with one...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Man MiBe is HARD. It's highly susceptible to overconfidence. I keep splatting them with my finger firmly pressing the tab key and getting myself into dangerous situations. Thing is 99% of the time it's fine, just push tab, if you get to 60% do a bit of ab, maybe aa and you're good to go. I keep getting to Lair in like 5 minutes and then splat when I should have known better.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jesus I suck at this game. http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/players/unimpressed.html

I seem to recall something about changing the effects of Dex and Str on melee? Is it true that dex = to hit and str = dmg?

So for MiBe, use all the lvl % 3 == 0 for Dex?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, I have a feeling that wearing these would be a grave mistake. Am I wrong?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Luceid posted:

i think they look fine so long as teleporting away from danger isn't your primary mode of safe escape?

I'm not joking when I ask this, but what other mode of safe escape is there? (short of controlled blink or super speed I guess).

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, if I don't have any Necro skill, is pain brand worth it? For a MiFi^Oka, which weapon is better?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

we're not going to make design changes for the sake of Armour Realism

pretend it's called 'elf-mail' or 'mithril mail' or whatever makes you happy, imo

:argh: mah immersion!

e: I want to take this opportunity to apologise to my team mates for sucking at crawl and having the patience of a toddler...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Darox posted:

This doesn't need to happen because spider and swamp are already bullshit and much harder than their counterpart if you are the wrong kind of character. Shoals doesn't have hydras or plant monsters, snake doesn't have orb spiders or ghost moths or jumping spiders or entropy weavers or tarantulas.

It's funny you say that, because (from the depths of my inexperience), I always find Shoals and Snake to be harder.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

If you enslave Duvessa and make her kill Dowan, she will still scream in horror and go berserk while remaining under your control. :stonk:

Makes sense.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Has Kiku's piety gain been drastically nerfed in trunk? I swear it took forever to get that first level (before I died). I would have gained at least two XLs and I found Kiku on D7 so they were bigger XLs. Does getting drained slow piety drain? I was having running battles with wights...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Oh, I didn't realise that. Good point, thanks.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

What's the rate of skill re-earning when drained? I just tabbed my MiBe against a MiBe ghost of mine but didn't realise it had a battleaxe of draining. From 27 Axes got all the way down to 13, and it came almost all the way back within one level of depths. Clearly it wasn't being earned back at the normal rate.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

(but i'm not sure how serious the talk of n-x removal is; it's very far from the first time it's come up. i'd guess pak is more likely to go than nem, for whatever that's worth...)

What, why? Pak is awesome.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Just saw this on Gamers With Jobs, a scroll of acquirement decision tree.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I misread that at first as slouch hat, and was thinking it's something to do with Crawl's Aussie influences...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Tollymain posted:

fr: literal slouch hat

Worn by every quoka.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Wow, you really play way faster than I do.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Someone Awful! posted:

i 3-runed a felid and it was miserable and now i never have to play felid again

i ran out of food somewhere shortly after my 2nd rune and basically ran around like a total moron trying to figure out what the hell to do, eventually settled on getting necromutation castable, and doing a bunch of other incredibly stupid crap and wasting a million turns for no good reason. this character should have died more times than it did die.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19-a0-660-gb2633be (webtiles) character file.

1180944 someoneawful the Necromancer (level 24, 103/103 HPs)
             Began as a Felid Ice Elementalist on June 12, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on June 15, 2016!

The game lasted 12:04:30 (149074 turns).

someoneawful the Necromancer (FeIE)               Turns: 149074, Time: 12:04:30

Health: 103/103    AC:  8    Str:  3 (4)  XL:     24   Next: 82%
Magic:  30/45      EV: 33    Int: 27      God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   114        SH:  8    Dex: 16      Spells: 12 memorised, 3 levels left
                                          Lives:  0   Deaths: 7

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis +      - Unarmed
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    (armour unavailable)
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    (shield unavailable)
rPois  +          Spirit   .    (helmet unavailable)
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    (cloak unavailable)
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    (gloves unavailable)
SustAt .          Harm     .    (boots unavailable)
MR     +++..      Clarity  +    I - brooch of Shielding {Reflect SH+8}
Stlth  +++.......               z - ring "Feobinax" {+Fly rElec AC+3 Slay+3}
                                F - ring "Cokues" {rF+ rC+ Int+3 Stlth+}

@: very slightly contaminated, deflect missiles, quick, extremely resistant to
hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: no armour, no weapons or thrown items, claws 1, fangs 3, yellow scales 1,
camouflage 1, see invisible, carnivore 3, clarity, clumsy 1, deterioration 1,
dopey 1, fire resistance 1, speed 1, poison resistance, shaggy fur 3, slow
metabolism 1, wild magic 1, MP-powered wands, sharp paws
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Flight
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, abyssal
i would rather play mummy than felid, felid is just oppressively unfun to me and i am so glad this character is over

So I always try and check spellcaster morgues after wins to see what spells people who know how to play pick. Tell me please, what does one use apportation 12 times at the end game for?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, playing an XL3 GrFE I decided on a whim to pray at the mystery altar, and of course got Trog. Guess I'm about to find out all about his wrath.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Serephina posted:

devs: How often does Ubuntu update it's crawl snapshot? It's still at .17 now, and it's annoying to have to constantly add&update a custom repository every time a new version is pushed every few months.

I build my offline crawl from trunk all the time. It's pretty easy on the mac and would be even easier on ubuntu. The makefile is good and so are the instructions.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yup, and with speed 13, a bit hard to run away from...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So is running away the only real option when playing a HEFE and facing iron golems without OOD?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Haifisch posted:

This is not a good guide to be following, is the point I'm trying to make here. The spell choices are okay, but everything else is questionable at best.

To be fair, spell choice is the hardest part in learning how to play a caster, at least for me. I suck at casters and having played them >100 times, I still don't know more than a quarter of the spells, if they're good, and how to use them. Playing as Veh I keep getting offered spells and I don't know if I should take them or not, or as Sif Muna, I'm overwhelmed with choice. So I just end up picking the same tried and trues (and end up dying anyhow).

If someone put out a guide saying, here's an FE/IE/EE/VM/AE spell list, with a branch for fire/ice/poison/air/earth and a list of useful top ups and must haves for different stages of the game, plus some "interesting" choices to explore like Fulminant Prism, they would be doing God's Vehumet/Sif Muna's work.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

foot posted:

I think OOD monster generation is getting out of hand.

XL4 in D1? Crawl is saying "go down those stairs son".

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Lots of advice about spell choice for newbs like me

Wow, thanks for this very good post! It's much appreciated. Shame it got lost in the entrails of dpeg's little tantrum.

As a player who barely ever wins, the whole malmut discussion is more academic. The few times I actually got to the position to be malmut, I barely noticed in the excitement of it all.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I'm curious. Since the removal of rMut, has anyone here ever played a game (won or lost) where they encountered and killed an OoF without getting malmutated? I mean, I get that it's theoretically possible and down to "good tactics" and all, but there are some very good players (I'm certainly not one of them to be sure) here who regularly win and 15 rune, so I'd like to know if anyone is managing this feat on even a semi-regular basis.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, no jewellery whatsoever, no enchanted light weapons, no boots, gloves, cloaks, hats or helmets until D6. Finally found two rings.

:negative:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

One day I will have a caster who can cast Tornado so I can see what it does... I'm intrigued but resisting the urge to wizmode it...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Argghhh I wish I had specs telling me I should treat the Ancient Lich with more respect. What a stupid death, on my best DEFE ever. poo poo.

https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/unimpressed/morgue-unimpressed-20160709-032241.txt

On a more productive note, though, I feel I should have maybe focused on getting a stronger single target spell for instances like this, Poison Arrow is great, but not against Ancient Liches, and Iron Shot clearly left it unimpressed...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah, on the few previous times I got this far (with any character) I did depths first, but having got firestorm online, i was feeling super strong... oh well, hubris always gets me...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

gammafunk posted:

I agree with your statement regarding ignoring the trolls, especially with the kind of stream-of-consciousness format that comes out of an SA thread like this.

As for being on the dev team and having little time, that's no problem at all. You don't "clock in" for so many hours each day, but rather contribute what you can when you can. Some people like that weird beetle guy who plays Tiles are very active in discussion and making commits, others like dpeg stop by occasionally for discussion or make vaults every now and again. It can take some time to come back up to speed on the game's development if you've been away a while, but we've had people return to development after a long hiatus.

I assure you threat of dpeg returning to ploogstorm you all is alive and well. Hell, if I happen to see someone like Haifisch or FloodKiller posting bad opinions when they should know better, I may wake up the sleeping dpeg myself.

So you're here too? If all of you are on SA how come malmut still exists? ;)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Alternatively, play a MiBe and train armour up to 27 because you don't really have that many things to train :)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I guess I'm going to have to find out if I can beat grinder or not...

e: no, no I can't...

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 16, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Someone Awful! posted:

tip for next time: read a tele scroll (if you have one) just before going down the furthest stair. Or look for a trapdoor!

I didn't have one, I think it was D3... I guess I could have just read all my scrolls hoping one would be tele though...

Haifisch posted:

For future reference: That's when you take an escape hatch down from the previous floor and hope for the best. Or just make a mad dash for the downstair.

That's actually a great idea, I should have tried that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

D8 8500 turns too. If this isn't proof that there's something fishy going on with OOD, I don't know what is...

• Locked thread