Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Jockey
Aug 13, 2010
#3 Has busted out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
And No.3's first experiences are being pecked and having its head stepped on by accident. Welcome to life, little guy.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
name one Duck

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

klapman posted:

name one Duck

Been there, done that.

#3 has hatched and no other eggs have pipped, we'll be moving the cam over to the brooder box and Yoya and the chicks in a bit! Once the kid gets home from school in about 5 hours, she'll choose names for the last three chicks.

Every time we open the incubator, Yoya starts to cluck expectantly. :keke:

Edit:

Happy Yoya pics!

Yo with Milton, Bowie and Kotori peeking out

I spread some chick food in front of her, so she called the babies to it.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 29, 2016

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Yoya is a good chicken mom :3:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Do broody hens adopt so easily?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

GORDON posted:

Do broody hens adopt so easily?

They do, yeah. Breeds and colors don't matter to them, either. If it's a chick, it's all good to a broody hen! If you place a non-broody hen next to chicks, she'll kinda panic and try to get away, because she KNOWS those chicks aren't hers, and where there are chicks, there's gonna be a bad-tempered mama nearby who'll kick their rear end.

The last three have names! The gray/buff chick with the blue spot on her back, who looks like Bowie is 'Fiver'. The rusty-brown chick is 'Lenore', and the dark chick who is still in the incubator is 'Peepers'. Peepers will be added to Yoya's crew in a few hours after she finishes drying out and getting strong.

No new pips on the last 4 eggs, so the hatch might be done at this point, but we'll leave the eggs in the incubator just in case.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Aw my name got picked :3: Go go lil Fiver!

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
It's so cute how babies just pop out from under Yoya every few minutes

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
awww this is cool :downs:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Aww, I was out all day and missed all the hatching action... but yay, we're back to Club Flamingo! :D

Yoya looks so satisfied! You'd think she did all the work herself.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Velvet Sparrow posted:

They do, yeah. Breeds and colors don't matter to them, either. If it's a chick, it's all good to a broody hen! If you place a non-broody hen next to chicks, she'll kinda panic and try to get away, because she KNOWS those chicks aren't hers, and where there are chicks, there's gonna be a bad-tempered mama nearby who'll kick their rear end.

That's good to know. Our first 6 chicks ever are out in the hen house right now, about 6 weeks old. If we are successful with them we are thinking another 6 new chicks next Spring, and hopefully we'll have a broody hen for them and we won't have to have the heat lamp and chickens in the living room (again) like a bunch of really classy people.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
And it looks like you have out a plate of scrambled eggs for those chicks to eat.

The eggs that didn't hatch?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Oh noooo I hope more chicks hatch because I want to toss Crabhammer into the naming hat this year too!!!

extra bird parts
Apr 30, 2012

creepy blue bird with an upset expression crashing into a fire truck and causing an explosion in the style of vaporwave aesthetics
May be too late to submit Victrola.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

eating only apples posted:

Aw my name got picked :3: Go go lil Fiver!

Haha haven't you been after that name for years?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GORDON posted:

And it looks like you have out a plate of scrambled eggs for those chicks to eat.

The eggs that didn't hatch?

Yoya's eaten half of it herself.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

No, the eggs they are eating aren't the unhatched ones, ick.

But mama and chicks did hold still long enough for a few photos! All 8 chicks are in here, here and there...

And Yoya practicing her 'cute' look...chickens learn really quick that doing this makes humans coo at them and drop food.

BTW our weather is getting all thunderstormy over the next few days, if the power goes it'll of course take the webcam with it...thanks to Yoya the chicks will be just fine. :)

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Lenore! :swoon:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I'm going to turn out the light overnight so Yoya and the babies can sleep, the cam will remain on, though.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Fart Jockey posted:

#3 Has busted out!

I know chickens are precocial, but, drat if they don't look like they are about 2 seconds from dying without CPR when they first emerge.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Chicken Doodle posted:

Haha haven't you been after that name for years?

Years!

Just you wait, now it's happened she won't make it. I know it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

genesplicer posted:

I know chickens are precocial, but, drat if they don't look like they are about 2 seconds from dying without CPR when they first emerge.

yeah that one looks like it used its last bit of remaining strength to burst through the outer shell only to collapse in a heap

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So none of the eggs in the incubator are showing any signs of activity?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wow, I had forgotten this was the weekend of the big hatch and chickam time! Had a rotten day yesterday
and to find the cam was back up and running cheered me up no end,and the fact that the chick from egg number three
was also named by me was :perfect:

Peepers, hello. :wave:

Chose a neutral name this year as last year's Cowbell, ended up being a Cowboy.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 1, 2016

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Don't touch the chicky.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
When my bf gave me the name Milton to put into the hat, he specified that it should go to the smallest runtiest chick. I showed him the pre-hatch shot of all the eggs and he was pleased that Milton came from the smallest egg. :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

No touchy!

Milton is for sure the tiniest chick, small even for a d'Uccle.
Nope, no new pips on the 4 eggs still in the incubator so we're calling this hatch done at 8 chicks. I'll be doing a breakout on the unhatched eggs to see if they were quitters or duds tho.

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
Do you use pine needles for bedding?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Looking forward to the individual photos of the chicks, when they're oild enough, to see what personalities they arrived with.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Nascardad posted:

Do you use pine needles for bedding?

The bedding in the photo of Yoya is fresh, green hay.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Hi VS. I have a stupid question. I am wondering after what I saw yesterday, was that a 'broody poop." I saw? Or do hens go back to doing their "elimination business" as normal once the babies are all hatched?

Yoya is so beautiful.

TaiChiLatte
Apr 29, 2016
I've basically had the live stream running in my living room all day and it's great. I can't deal with how good of a chicken mom Yoya is! It's hilarious every time a baby chicken just emerges from underneath her.

The name Lenore was actually suggested by my friend because it's my middle name and I feel so honored. I've been having trouble figuring out exactly which one she is though? So proud of all the little ones!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

Hi VS. I have a stupid question. I am wondering after what I saw yesterday, was that a 'broody poop." I saw? Or do hens go back to doing their "elimination business" as normal once the babies are all hatched?

Yoya is so beautiful.

Basically you can tell by human reaction if it is a broody poop: there will be lots of :derp: cries of 'OH DEAR GOD!' and pleas to open windows and light matches to deal with the wall o' stink. But yeah, as long as Yo is sitting for hours and not pooping regularly and instead saving up cosmic stink bombs, it's a broody poop.

The kid and I are taking individual chick pics shortly, there will be much peeping and Yoya will NOT be pleased...also I just gave them corn so there is likely to be bits of corn stuck to the chicks. Last year I think it was strawberries...

I did the breakout on the 4 eggs that didn't hatch (not my favorite part of hatching chicks), one was a dud and never developed, one quit about three days in, another about 6 days in, the last quit at 18 days--a nearly fully developed chick but it never turned into hatch position. For whatever reason something is wrong that late in the process and Mother Nature calls a halt to these.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Alecto, Kotori and Marshmallow have been moved under Yoya, Marshmallow got a green food color spot on her back so everyone can tell her from Kotori.

The two chicks that hatched overnight will stay in for a bit and will be named this afternoon after the kid gets home from school, then the little buff/gray chick will also get a color spot, she looks a lot like Bowie.

#3 is making progress!

Yay! I got a named chickam :syoon:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^^ Wasn't your Alecto a Black Star...?

OK, chick pics are here!
http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2016/05/chick-pics.html

I took a stab at parentage where I could. Everyone was surprisingly cooperative this year...

weird.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

OK, chick pics are here!

I took a stab at parentage where I could. Everyone was surprisingly cooperative this year...

weird.

Pie might be a mom! IM A CHICKEN GRANNY! :swoon:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Velvet Sparrow posted:

OK, chick pics are here!

weird.

If she wasn't a Black Star she looked like it. She was apparently maybe part Australorp, as many Australian black chickens are. Either way, new black chicken baby is a good choice to have her name :kimchi: Even better, she might be Snakefast's kid!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Look at the little ones peeking out from under Yoya's wing.

(seriously, I've been watching the cam all day long on my secondary monitor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I enjoy watching them go nuts when food appears.

• Locked thread