Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
A progressive platform needs more than a president or a figurehead. Considering the fact that the two likely nominees for the general election are centrist (leaning right on economics) and right-wing, respectively, getting people into the congress and senate who want to act boldly on things like campaign finance reform, criminal justice reform, climate, universal healthcare, not-terrifying foreign policy, a 15$ minimum wage, etc. is even more important. We need as many people as we possibly can in order to push back against right-wing ideas and bring forth progressive ones!!!

So do you know anyone cool & good in your state that's running for office? Do you wanna talk about your local politics? Do you want to donate to cool and good candidates? Then you've got a home here!

Here are some examples, to start things off. You can assume that all these ppl support the things I listed above.

Tim Canova

#FeelTheBald
Besides looking like Rick Scott's good twin, Tim Canova is running against Debbie Wasserman "grassroots activists suck but payday lenders are good" Schultz in Florida for a seat in congress! He's been endorsed by the CWA and NNU so that's pretty cool. Buuuuuuut he's quite a hawk and is weirdly pandery about it. So, uh. Y'know. Oops? How much you like him depends on how much you value his local/national policies, I guess. Either way, You can give him a couple bux here. You can phonebank for him here!

Pramila Jayapal

She's running for congress in Washington state after being a state senator for a year and an immigration activist since 2001 (even being recognized by the white house as a "champion of change" in that area)! Help her out and learn more about her here!

Jamie Raskin

the look of a man who doesn't give a hot gay gently caress what congress says
He won Maryland's primary (for congress)!! yay!!! if this pic tells you anything, he definitely threw a good party after the fact. but he still has to beat the republican. you know what to do.

Zephyr Rain Teachout

this lady, who has an awesome name most certainly bestowed upon her by hippie parents (and equally awesome hair), ran for NY governor and is now running for congress! help a :krad: candidate out and donate!

a list with a buttload of cool people either currently in office, or running for office, on it (don't get hung up on the name): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MZGzbSWESE8t18GGzrgc2FfL0b5tz-vmNf-F_-w5yN4/htmlview

another interesting idea
https://brandnewcongress.org/

(final notes: longer descriptions forthcoming maybe. extra suggestions for cool and good candidates to feature here, always welcome. as for a certain senator from vermont, keep references brief till he announces his '18 run. maybe. something like that. i dunno. whatever. whisper his name, into the wind.....)

tl;dr:

Classic Comrade has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Posting in a hopefully good thread

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Posting in a hopefully good thread

lawd willin'

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Classic Comrade posted:

A progressive platform needs more than a president or a figurehead. Considering the fact that the two likely nominees for the general election are centrist (leaning right on economics) and right-wing, respectively, getting people into the congress and senate who want to act boldly on things like campaign finance reform, criminal justice reform, climate, universal healthcare, not-terrifying foreign policy, a 15$ minimum wage, etc. is even more important. We need as many people as we possibly can in order to push back against right-wing ideas and bring forth progressive ones!!!

So do you know anyone cool & good in your state that's running for office? Do you wanna talk about your local politics? Do you want to donate to cool and good candidates? Then you've got a home here!

Here are some examples, to start things off. You can assume that all these ppl support the things I listed above.

Tim Canova

#FeelTheBald
Besides looking like Rick Scott's good twin, Tim Canova is running against Debbie Wasserman "grassroots activists suck but payday lenders are good" Schultz in Florida for a seat in congress! He's been endorsed by the CWA and NNU so that's pretty cool. You can give him a couple bux here.

Lucy Flores

She's a member of the Nevada state assembly, now she's running for congress! i also hear she packs a mean right hook. learn more about her and donate here

Pramila Jayapal

She's running for congress in Washington state after being a state senator for a year and an immigration activist since 2001 (even being recognized by the white house as a "champion of change" in that area)! Help her out and learn more about her here!

Jamie Raskin

the look of a man who doesn't give a hot gay gently caress what congress says
He won Maryland's primary (for congress)!! yay!!! if this pic tells you anything, he definitely threw a good party after the fact. but he still has to beat the republican. you know what to do.

Zephyr Rain Teachout

this lady, who has an awesome name most certainly bestowed upon her by hippie parents (and equally awesome hair), ran for NY governor and is now running for congress! help a :krad: candidate out and donate!

(final notes: longer descriptions forthcoming maybe. extra suggestions for cool and good candidates to feature here, always welcome. as for a certain senator from vermont, keep references brief till he announces his '18 run. maybe. something like that. i dunno. whatever. whisper his name, into the wind.....)

MyIGF
He is so loving awesome, brings such energy and vision. Give him some loving money, please! Now! Today!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Thankfully they have enough people to form progressive Voltron

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

MyIGF
He is so loving awesome, brings such energy and vision. Give him some loving money, please! Now! Today!

do u have a website

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

No John Fetterman?

Havard educated Shrek who decided to save a dying steel mill town

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Important information for progressives in the upcoming elections!

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

lmao @ migf following us into here tho

are u sad about the old sandman thread passing away into the ether

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
You need some Alex Law up in this bitch. Dudes knocked 10,000 doors himself.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

etalian posted:

No John Fetterman?

Havard educated Shrek who decided to save a dying steel mill town

he lost :eng99:

but then again he's still mayor of braddock.... and he better run again.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
What is the background the organization that tries to pick out progressive candidates that I can't remember the name of? Grassroots something?

Also it would be cool if this thread didn't turn into another gimmick thunderdome

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Goetta posted:

What is the background the organization that tries to pick out progressive candidates that I can't remember the name of? Grassroots something?

Also it would be cool if this thread didn't turn into another gimmick thunderdome

Grassroots Select

https://www.reddit.com/r/grassrootsselect

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MZGzbSWESE8t18GGzrgc2FfL0b5tz-vmNf-F_-w5yN4/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Here's a spreadsheet if you like spreadsheets
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MZGzbSWESE8t18GGzrgc2FfL0b5tz-vmNf-F_-w5yN4/htmlview

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

;) Oh do you have the spreadsheet, now?

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Tim Canova is cool and good and I gave him some bux even though I live in PA because I hate DWS.

Classic Comrade posted:

The Fett Man will most definitely be back. He's p. serious about getting a progressive movement going in PA and he's surprisingly popular. 23% of the vote in a 3 way race while being outspent 15:1 is pretty baller.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

MyIGF

Come back when you have some yard signs, you loving amateur.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
I imagine this thread will be more active as old Bernie posters trickle in and victims of The Cullingtm return from their 6 hours.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Modus Pwnens posted:

Come back when you have some yard signs, you loving amateur.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Classic Comrade posted:

Who won the primary, anyway?

Bockscar
Jun 17, 2007

NumberLast posted:

McGinty.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

NumberLast posted:

Katie McGinty, the establishment pick.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/mcginty-sestak-await-results-tight-senate-race/

quote:

With more than 90 percent of precincts reporting in Pennsylvania, McGinty had received 42.5 percent of the vote to Sestak's 32.5 percent and Fetterman's 19.8 percent, according to the Associated Press. A fourth candidate, Joseph Vodvarka, had received 5.6 percent. All vote totals are unofficial.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Corrupt Cypher posted:

You need some Alex Law up in this bitch. Dudes knocked 10,000 doors himself.

he looks kinda Skeezy imv

like a stereotypical young republican type

lol

[he's probably fine and all that but still lol. don't slick ur hair back bruh]

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

We need more people! More! Challenge every seat!! More challengers! We need every moderate or conservative or merely corrupt democrat to be loving afraid!!

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Rape Stink posted:

Tim Canova is cool and good and I gave him some bux even though I live in PA because I hate DWS.

The Fett Man will most definitely be back. He's p. serious about getting a progressive movement going in PA and he's surprisingly popular. 23% of the vote in a 3 way race while being outspent 15:1 is pretty baller.

awesome!!!

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

hemophilia posted:

We need more people! More! Challenge every seat!! More challengers! We need every moderate or conservative or merely corrupt democrat to be loving afraid!!

:agreed:

i wanna see some awesome ppl running against jorge elorza, sheldon whitehouse, and gina raimundo in RI cause i will campaign like hell for all of those ppl. :getin:

i do know there are also some local elections coming up in september i guess but i have heard literally NOTHING about them outside of the date to vote in them. maybe my town's elections aren't on taht date? cause i saw stuff in providence but not my city. hmmmmm :iiam:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hemophilia posted:

I agree. Come to Minnesota and I will run you for something. Yes we can win, together for tomorrow, candidates come and go, the party is eternal.

There ain't no party like the Democratic Party because the party don't stop the party never stops.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Classic Comrade posted:

do u have a website

NO WEBSITE NO CANDIDACY THOSE ARE THE RULES THAT I JUST MADE UP

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
http://www.philcornell4ussenate.org/

As someone that's always liked Patty Murray this feels really subversive. :ohdear:

But I hey, gotta break free from the establishment bonds. :unsmigghh:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
How are we going to face the biggest threat to progressivism today: identity politics? And how are we going to roll back the so-called "gains" these hijackers have made in the last few years?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Classic Comrade posted:

NO WEBSITE NO CANDIDACY THOSE ARE THE RULES THAT I JUST MADE UP

https://neocities.org/

Does it have to be on it's own webserver?

Also I assume this is a relaxed thread right?
*keeps shoving the memes back into his jacket pockets, almost unsuccessfully.*

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
This has the potential to be the best thread since the GOP primary thread.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Al! posted:

How are we going to face the biggest threat to progressivism today: identity politics? And how are we going to roll back the so-called "gains" these hijackers have made in the last few years?

Inclusivity and attentiveness to their issues, while keeping our eyes on the prize imo

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

NumberLast posted:

http://www.philcornell4ussenate.org/

As someone that's always liked Patty Murray this feels really subversive. :ohdear:

But I hey, gotta break free from the establishment bonds. :unsmigghh:

Wow this guy's platform is killer!

I'll be doing some digging for interviews, but the good people at GRS seem to have approved him after their vetting process.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Classic Comrade posted:

do u have a website

forum.somethingoffal.com

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

forum.somethingoffal.com

If you were actually running.

And you actually used this dead forum as your official site.

I would be too impressed to ever be annoyed by you again.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

ThndrShk2k posted:

Also I assume this is a relaxed thread right?
*keeps shoving the memes back into his jacket pockets, almost unsuccessfully.*

gently caress yeah it is

i mean not as relaxed as the thread of he-who-must-not-be-named (as in: no spam, i'm assuming)

but its not super stiff either.

wear business casual, but loosen ur tie~

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

forum.somethingoffal.com

lol

busydelicious
Jan 5, 2009

they call it chivalry
never pull a punch for free
Yay for a new thread! Thank you, Comrade for setting this up. I was pretty bummed to see the Bernie thread gassed. In this new thread, will we still get to discuss some Bernman stuffs?

I gots my voting ballot in the mail (yuss!) for the Oregon primary and I need to go through the voting booklet to see what progressives I want to vote for. I'm sorta new to OR, so I'm not super familiar with any local candidates.

...is it still cool to also hail satan here? 'Cause, you know, hail satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Im wondering if my local elections have reached their deadlines and if just putting my name on a ballot for city council or boe would make me competitive

the town is tiny so "putting your name on the ballot" is seriously possible. A couple miles from here my grandpa won an elected seat he wasn't running for by write-in~

• Locked thread