Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

busydelicious posted:

Yay for a new thread! Thank you, Comrade for setting this up. I was pretty bummed to see the Bernie thread gassed. In this new thread, will we still get to discuss some Bernman stuffs?

I gots my voting ballot in the mail (yuss!) for the Oregon primary and I need to go through the voting booklet to see what progressives I want to vote for. I'm sorta new to OR, so I'm not super familiar with any local candidates.

...is it still cool to also hail satan here? 'Cause, you know, hail satan.

Hey, friend!

This spreadsheet has some progressive candidates that come pre-vetted!

You can look and see if you do actually like their platforms, but they're verified as being staunch progressives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Goetta posted:

What is the background the organization that tries to pick out progressive candidates that I can't remember the name of? Grassroots something?

Also it would be cool if this thread didn't turn into another gimmick thunderdome

grassrootsselect, i believe.

*edit* beaten shamefully, for Numberlast even posted links!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

For real though if it's not too late and you want to make a difference, local positions are not full-time and if you live in a small town, of ~2000 or something, you stand a chance of winning or disrupting an election by simply adding your name to the ballot and otherwise doing zero campaigning :v:

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

thank you, added to the OP! :)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I like this thread, it is relevant to my interests

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

busydelicious posted:

Yay for a new thread! Thank you, Comrade for setting this up. I was pretty bummed to see the Bernie thread gassed. In this new thread, will we still get to discuss some Bernman stuffs?

I gots my voting ballot in the mail (yuss!) for the Oregon primary and I need to go through the voting booklet to see what progressives I want to vote for. I'm sorta new to OR, so I'm not super familiar with any local candidates.

...is it still cool to also hail satan here? 'Cause, you know, hail satan.

i would keep the bernie references short n sweet but i don't think they have to be completely absent. but i'm not a mod. so. :shrug:

i would also keep the hailing satan short n sweet and not spammy.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
I've given up on local politics, because I'm moving from this town never to return this summer and because it's essentially a company town. :shrug:

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Classic Comrade posted:

i would keep the bernie references short n sweet but i don't think they have to be completely absent. but i'm not a mod. so. :shrug:

i would also keep the hailing satan short n sweet and not spammy.

I'm hoping to maintain the chillposting that was a hallmark of the Bernie thread.

That would be nice.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Since MIGF is a "progressive candidate" and he posts in this thread, I assume him shitposting food is AOK

I mean it's outreach, trying to level with the common man

Also I'm trying to get off my rear end to make my dumb game thing so I can put voting in it.
Played Runescape the other week and saw it had ingame voting for content and that's pretty cool (and progressive)... and it's been a thing for years but I never played runescape since early 00's

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

NumberLast posted:

I'm hoping to maintain the chillposting that was a hallmark of the Bernie thread.

That would be nice.

o for sure

i just posted with Proper Grammar in the OP because it was well.... the OP

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

They can kill the Bernie Sandies thread, but they WILL NEVER KILL OUR SPIRIT :ussr:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

is this threaed the appropriate place for me to put this tweet?
https://twitter.com/bougeottee_/status/679395604368330752

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Anyone good in minnesota? Other than Keith Ellison

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I wish your thread well Classic 'Clown' Comrade. The spirit of Debs lives on.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I posted something to that reddit that I will share here, it's not written well, and needs at least a re-write for clarity, but I'm sleep deprived, and the point carries. You can win local elections in 3/4 digit population towns by basically being on the ballot and doing some door knocking.

quote:

I have some family who did local politics. A grandfather who served on city council and later mayor in a DFW town in the 90s and early 2000's. My other grandfather also served short terms in the 70s in podunk towns.
I inquired into running for mayor some years after my grandpa because the town had some problems and it was extremely evident to everyone involved that I could have probably taken a seat on name recognition alone, due to a couple of facts: Namely low turnout for local elections, and the fact that the people who were voting in the 90s and 2000s were pretty much the same people who still voted.
In my experience, if you live in a large town, you need backing and capital. You can run a ground campaign and get yoru name on the ballot, and to some degree you may snatch votes, but realistically you're not going to upstart your way into a Dallas board of education seat, or the mayorship, by yourself. That said, if you live small towns, where population is measured in three or four digits, it's much easier.
Keep in mind party affiliation matters very little in small towns. My grandfather is a lifelong republican but as a mayor you would think he was a Berniecrat objectively looking at his actions. Towns and counties have fundamentally different needs than states and the country. You shouldn't run on a political platform locally like you would for a state or federal election. Nobody really cares how you feel about UHC if you're running for city council so there's no reason to alienate voters with it! You're not running for a position where you can influence that policy!
Small towns are where the number game gets funky due to low turnout. My grandpa as mayor would run campaigns that would top out around $40,000 if he recieved that much in contributions. This was for signs, knocking on doors, leaflets, that sort of thing. I know because I used to help him campaign. Not much but I saw the bulk of what was done for voter outreach.
The thing is, you didn't need to spend that money, and for a couple of terms his opponents often did not spend much or any substantial amount of money running, because you're practically guaranteed a number of votes by being on the ballot, simply based on people not liking your opposition, or the position of your name on the ballot. Many voters are low-information at this level too, because the only way anybody knows candidates is 1. personally, 2. through campaigning 3. not at all. It's literally a crapshoot sometimes. Name recognition isn't always a good thing, especially if the town is going through a trouble spot, merely being on the ballot can guarantee your ascent. In a place like texas, we need people sneaking into the small towns city councils and election boards. You can seriously disrupt local politics by putting your name on the ballot and doing nothing else. If you knock on doors too, you can actually win.
Local positions are usually not full-time affairs. Benig a mayor will consume a lot of time, but a position on an education board or being a council-member will obligate you to attend a couple of meetings a month maybe. It's different town to town, but if you can afford that minor commitment and you want to change things- I want to impress how easy it is to disrupt the status quo! Print out the paperwork, file it, and run for office! It's easy and YOU can make a difference!

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Uncle Wemus posted:

Um...Rick Nolan

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

only if u add, with an asterisk

"*im voting for these people instead!!"

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Nonsense posted:

I wish your thread well Classic 'Clown' Comrade. The spirit of Debs lives on.

:patriot:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Wemus posted:

MyIGF
The Awful Progressive

No but loving seriously if I had PM's I'd talk to you in a shitload more detail.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

In my district, Texas' 10th, we apparently had a close primary back in March. Some goony gently caress barely lost to this person. Can anyone cull any issue or position on anything from her website?

Goony gently caress at least was oddly specific, with requiring people be only 19 to buy alcohol but 26 to own a handgun.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Classic Comrade posted:

only if u add, with an asterisk

"*im voting for these people instead!!"
bErnie Sanders

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

There's actually a ton of people who haven't voted in the democratic primary yet, so not sure what merited anyone to be bothered enough by a thread they didn't have to read that theyd gas it. Reminds me of the dailykos banning people criticizing Hillary or whatever. Circling the wagons. If anyone here is that uncomfortable about people rejecting the democratic establishment then they're really in for it because the Bernie thread may have just been meme loving fucks & shitposters, but theres seemingly an entire generation thats overhwlemingly done with the bullshit.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

There's actually a ton of people who haven't voted in the democratic primary yet, so not sure what merited anyone to be bothered enough by a thread they didn't have to read that theyd gas it. Reminds me of the dailykos banning people criticizing Hillary or whatever. Circling the wagons. If anyone here is that uncomfortable about people rejecting the democratic establishment then they're really in for it because the Bernie thread may have just been meme loving fucks & shitposters, but theres seemingly an entire generation thats overhwlemingly done with the bullshit.

ya it was a rather bizarre thing to do imv

i was pretty mad about it for ~5 minutes just because that was basically my chat thread :v:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ungas that thread and move it to CCCC

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

What does CCCC mean

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

bErnie Sanders

:captainpop:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fast Luck posted:

What does CCCC mean

Democratic Congressional Campain Committee

They're the dudes you pay your dues to, in exchange for access to the bunker to make some gently caress'n dials for $$$

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fast Luck posted:

So good. We need to send this man to Congress.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

NumberLast posted:

Hey, friend!

This spreadsheet has some progressive candidates that come pre-vetted!

You can look and see if you do actually like their platforms, but they're verified as being staunch progressives!

gently caress yeaaah.

Also, seriously, I leave you guys alone for a couple extra hours and the thread gets gassed? What gives?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

it will be funny when the "general election" thread created 2 months before party conventions sinks off the first page. Personally i am not interested in distinctions such as whether Hillary and her emails are the subject of an fbi probe or whether Hillary's state department and email server are the subject of said probe, so subsequently I don't have interest in much of this subforum, which may be the point.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

it will be funny when the "general election" thread created 2 months before party conventions sinks off the first page. Personally i am not interested in distinctions such as whether Hillary and her emails are the subject of an fbi probe or whether Hillary's state department and email server are the subject of said probe, so subsequently I don't have interest in much of this subforum, which may be the point.

Yeah not sure what's up with that.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Krampus Grewcock posted:

gently caress yeaaah.

Also, seriously, I leave you guys alone for a couple extra hours and the thread gets gassed? What gives?

What are your thoughts on Cornell?

He seems like a bit of a goober but his platform is rock solid.

I kind of doubt he'd be able to beat Murray, but I might vote for him. Every vote he gets could scare her left.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

hemophilia posted:

We need more people! More! Challenge every seat!! More challengers! We need every moderate or conservative or merely corrupt democrat to be loving afraid!!
I'd love to see Henry Cuellar get primaried. The dude is basically the definition of a Blue-Dog Democrat, and his seat is safe D as hell (it's literally east of San Antonio down to Laredo/Rio Grande City on the Rio Grande) so there's no risk it would ever flip to a Republican:

fade5 has issued a correction as of 02:53 on Apr 29, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
My bog standard democratic congressman is facing a primary challenge from a hyper-corporate candidate dressing himself in the trappings of a movement candidate. I'll post more about it ITT later assuming that's the sort of thing that belongs here (no real progressive candidates involved but still a Dem primary race).

There's also some weird racism stuff involved (one candidate is Indian, one is Japanese).

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
Currently looking through and trying to research the Secretary of State options in the OR ballot, anyone have a quick rundown of what I should be looking for to actually distinguish the better candidate between R. Devlin and B. Avakian? They both employ some good sounding rhetoric and boast impressive endorsements/prior political activity, but I'd really like to be able to delve into their connections and see who's more sincere and devoted to Progressive values.

TinFoilJoy
Oct 15, 2012

Bernie thread rises from the ashes like a glorious phoenix.

I was very upset to see it gassed.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fade5 posted:

I'd love to see Henry Cuellar get primaried. The dude is basically the definition of a Blue-Dog Democrat, and his seat is safe D as hell (it's literally east of San Antonio down to Laredo/Rio Grande City on the Rio Grande) so there's no risk it would ever flip to a Republican:

Sometimes, fade5, you know just enough to make yourself dangerous.

You gently caress'n think the district would exist if it weren't held by a blue dog? gently caress no, R's would loving ratfuck it.

TinFoilJoy
Oct 15, 2012

Anyway, I don't think there are any progressive candidates in my neck of the woods. My rep is a Tea Partier and his last Democratic opponent was some random businessman who funded his own campaign for the most part.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sometimes, fade5, you know just enough to make yourself dangerous.

You gently caress'n think the district would exist if it weren't held by a blue dog? gently caress no, R's would loving ratfuck it.

which is obviously why Sheila Jackson Lee exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
word

• Locked thread