Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Oh hey, the band got back together!

As much as I love hailing satan, i'm excited for this thread, and really like the effortposts so far.

Also to derail: Is it Classic Comrade who is the sunscreen advocate? I'm trying to get my girlfriend to wear it, but she's kinda a hippie and CHEMICALS! Any suggestions for well made sunscreen?

It's easy, look up "environmental working group(or just ewg)+suncscreen". The specific sunscreen I would recommend is somewhat pricey, but it's also got a good balance of a minimum of toxic elements and good coverage. it's called Jason 30 SPF mineral sunscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

empireofcrime posted:

and may be a charter school cheerleader too.

it was sad ( :sad: ) learning that deray mckesson (bringing this back to local level politics.... he ran for mayor of baltimore) was being monetarily supported by charter school ppl and lobbyists.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It's not as bad as moneyed right interests but it is a distraction tactic for sure.
Oh, it's entirely the ownership class that is the enemy. The main issue with identity politics is that it doesn't directly address class, and thus is vulnerable to being co-opted by the elites against EJWs.

hemophilia posted:

Way too many social issues have related if not causative economic factors, so to be merely socially progressive doesn't compute for me. To me, being socially permissive and/or accepting while also having apathetic or rear end-backwards attitudes about the economy already has a label, it's called 'libertarianism'.
Yeah, that's a perceptive point, I think it's close, but the woke Hillary supporters aren't really libertarian either. Libertarians wouldn't support a Democrat's wars, and libertarians would want a flat tax and privatized social security and all other kinds of bullshit. These people are really just loyal team D centrists who want to be on the right side of social issues.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Classic Comrade posted:

it was sad ( :sad: ) learning that deray mckesson (bringing this back to local level politics.... he ran for mayor of baltimore) was being monetarily supported by charter school ppl and lobbyists.

Once I found out about his weird shilling of commercial products on his Twitter and the other poo poo like his being gung ho for charter schools, I pretty much wrote off DeRay as untrustworthy.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm posting in this thread 1) to get a bookmark and 2) to update on what's been going on in my neck of the woods. Tennessee Dems will be holding their Jackson Day dinner on the weekend of May the 7th, and I have a ticket to attend.

I'm going with at least the county chair here in Claiborne, so it'll be a good chance to network and start making inroads. I've been told the dems will be running for about 60 different offices in the state, hopefully I can meet a few and feel out how big of a progressive vein is running through the state party at the moment.

At the very least, it's an opportunity for me to learn how everything works (or doesn't work) in this part of Tennessee, anyway.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

hemophilia posted:

I used to whine about identity politics a lot and honestly what has given me pause is how Bernie Sanders has handled the issue.

Believe me I still lament the theoretical single-issue identity politics person who may exist somewhere up the food chain making GBS threads up a larger movement for the sake of their own pet issue, but I'm not sure this actually exists much as I and others sometimes think it does. I think there are bigger fish to fry since it's reasonably easy to integrate the politics of identity into a larger progressive movement and there are much more malevolent forces that actively work to undermine progressive politics and I would rather focus on that than being an rear end in a top hat because somebody is trying to be a part of something while having needs unique to them and people like them.

okay but in 8 years when ta-nehisi coates is the literal only black person to have personally benefited from a clinton presidency can we at least agree to revisit this issue

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Ah, back in the biz

wait

can we still Hail Satan in here?

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

YOU A loving HAT posted:

Ah, back in the biz

wait

i mean i'm not the boss im just the OP but liiiiiiiiiiiike....

hail satan.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

YOU A loving HAT posted:

Ah, back in the biz

wait

Please don't.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

hemophilia posted:

Please don't.

hemophilia you should get one of those word blocker/filter thingies, and make it so 'satan' is changed to like... 'satin' or something ;)

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Satan is my loving homie and way more of a progressive than p much the whole DNC

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Classic Comrade posted:

hemophilia you should get one of those word blocker/filter thingies, and make it so 'satan' is changed to like... 'satin' or something ;)

That wouldn't help, because I would still know someone was hailing the dark lord satan

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hail statins because I'm fat and don't want to have a heart attack.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Hail Staten Island

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Classic Comrade posted:

yeah it's very sad how centrists (and right-wing ppl, on the opposite end) use identity politics to manipulate people. most 'economic progressives' embrace identity politic issues too, so what do you think would be a good way to counteract the whole "using identity politics to obfuscate" issue?
Yeah, any economic progressive worth their salt needs to be on the right side of gender, race, and sexuality justice issues or else you're taking populist economics down nationalist roads which uhh is kind of scary.

i think it's good if all people and especially prominent voices on the social justice scene remind their peers and allies that there's more than one struggle, that it's all connected, there's a kinship between all oppressed people, that in the not distant past you could be dismissed from certain jobs for being gay, and as progress is made in any of these arenas, not to leave anyone behind. Which, to be fair, the majority of people in the social justice movement are aware of pretty much, but there do need to be continual reminders, because you know the corporate media is going to give platforms and voices to those who don't threaten them, and there are a lot of less informed people that might succumb to marcotte-ism. I don't think it's wrong to call out people who aren't being allies of the working and lower classes

Fast Luck has issued a correction as of 15:28 on Apr 29, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Like it would be very good if someone with the stature of like Deray for example called out Hillary Clinton when she said "We could break up the banks, but would that end racism" telling her not to use black people's struggles as a defense of big banks... instead somehow Hillary won points for understanding what it means to be intersectional while implicitly sticking up for big banks. :psyduck:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The weird thing is it doesn't take very much to draw a line from banking hegemony to certain kinds of discrimination, like you know securing mortgages, or the housing crisis from you know 8 years ago having lots of minorities and non-minority but none the less low income families caught in the loving crossfire. It's really weird.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

gently caress you Reuters.

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/726056978267648001

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Only good comment on there is from the person with a Gravity Falls profile pic. Way to go, buddy. :hfive:

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

NumberLast posted:

Only good comment on there is from the person with a Gravity Falls profile pic. Way to go, buddy. :hfive:

I don't appreciate all the lovely insinuations that goes into an article like that. A combination of people's disdain for Clinton and some degree of horseshoe theory nonsense(Trump and Sanders are practically the same person).

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

hemophilia posted:

The weird thing is it doesn't take very much to draw a line from banking hegemony to certain kinds of discrimination, like you know securing mortgages, or the housing crisis from you know 8 years ago having lots of minorities and non-minority but none the less low income families caught in the loving crossfire. It's really weird.

Banking hegemony leads to unscrupulous practices, which predate the habitually marginalized which (surprise!) tend to be racial minorities.

Two or three degrees of separation, depending on how you count it.

But the more important point is you shouldn't have to bring it 'back to racism.' Yes, institutional racism is a problem but using it as obfuscation to defend a practice that hurts a different group (and in this case one that tends to encompass the group used as obfuscation) isn't just wrong, it's pretty dumb.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

empireofcrime posted:

I don't appreciate all the lovely insinuations that goes into an article like that. A combination of people's disdain for Clinton and some degree of horseshoe theory nonsense(Trump and Sanders are practically the same person).

I have a friend that thinks people hate Trump because the media tells him to, and that the media hates him because they'll lose money if he wins (or something). I tell him about Trump's racist and violent rhetoric and all I get is "I don't believe that happened," which is pretty :cripes:. But he also voted for Bernie.

Point is, there is crossover among people that are just generally anti-establishment while being fairly apolitical, like my friend there.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

NumberLast posted:

Banking hegemony leads to unscrupulous practices, which predate the habitually marginalized which (surprise!) tend to be racial minorities.

Two or three degrees of separation, depending on how you count it.

But the more important point is you shouldn't have to bring it 'back to racism.' Yes, institutional racism is a problem but using it as obfuscation to defend a practice that hurts a different group (and in this case one that tends to encompass the group used as obfuscation) isn't just wrong, it's pretty dumb.

When this happened, nobody should have been lauding her because you can swat that horse-poo poo down with a soundbyte's worth of words. That's my main point. It's not complicated or convoluted, it's so offensive I can only assume people were blindsided by the audacity of it.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

NumberLast posted:

I have a friend that thinks people hate Trump because the media tells him to, and that the media hates him because they'll lose money if he wins (or something). I tell him about Trump's racist and violent rhetoric and all I get is "I don't believe that happened," which is pretty :cripes:. But he also voted for Bernie.

Point is, there is crossover among people that are just generally anti-establishment while being fairly apolitical, like my friend there.

Sure, but like with the Bernie Bro thing it's painting all Sanders supporters with the same brush.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

hemophilia posted:

When this happened, nobody should have been lauding her because you can swat that horse-poo poo down with a soundbyte's worth of words. That's my main point. It's not complicated or convoluted, it's so offensive I can only assume people were blindsided by the audacity of it.

I just heard it, thought "That's stupid," and moved on with my day. I came back to people celebrating the comment and just :psyduck:'d my way to bed.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

empireofcrime posted:

Sure, but like with the Bernie Bro thing it's painting all Sanders supporters with the same brush.

Oh, I know. It over-generalizes. What I found weirdest about the article is that it seems to be approaching the issue with the assumption that Bernie supporters will support Trump.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

NumberLast posted:

Oh, I know. It over-generalizes. What I found weirdest about the article is that it seems to be approaching the issue with the assumption that Bernie supporters will support Trump.

speaking of linking the two...

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/726058648649261056

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Concerned Citizen posted:

patty judge is probably going to win now, actually. imo hogg is better than judge and i will vote for him instead, but dscc is all up judge's butt.

tom fiegen is loving horrible. he isn't really progressive, he just latched on to bernie. he has a pro-life background (which he plays down these days) and literally has been unable to say anything except sexist comments since his wife left him years ago. like in 2010 when he not-so-subtly accused roxanne conlin of having an affair with a lobbyist in the middle of a debate ("she's standing closer to the lobbyist in this photo than her husband..") or when he can't help but suggest that joni ernst won in 2014 because the election was a "beauty contest." he literally personally comments on articles on the des moines register website about rob hogg where he just calls him a corporate shill. and if you've ever seen him speak, he never loving shuts up about gmos and other bullshit.

there is no candidate i hate more than tom fiegen.

NumberLast posted:

Tom Fiegen did a reddit AMA where he talked about how we should annex Mexico. Like, in all seriousness.

I'm gonna try to find it.

Oh, he deleted it. You can either trust me (and my terrible memory) or not, but iirc the response here was that Mexican citizens should have the right to gain dual citizenship by "Swearing loyalty to the (US) constitution," and once enough of them do it opening up Mexican states for US statehood.

hahaha thanks for the info guys, I haven't been following Fiegen that closely for very long so I'm sorry to hear he is such a shithead

Modus Pwnens posted:

Thanks for this. I'd tossed him 5 bucks earlier, now I know better. Judge is awful and Krause is a nonstarter, so I guess that leaves Hogg.

It also looks like Fiegen is going down the Bernie or bust route big time, which is how I feel personally, but I think is an incredibly bad idea for someone running to represent a state that essentially tied.

as soon as I saw him posting stuff like that on his facebook I knew for sure his political career was going nowhere

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

answer to headline:

because Trump is a massive piece of poo poo and the vast, vast, VAST majority of Sanders supporters would never even consider voting for him

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Concerned Citizen posted:

patty judge is probably going to win now, actually. imo hogg is better than judge and i will vote for him instead, but dscc is all up judge's butt.

tom fiegen is loving horrible. he isn't really progressive, he just latched on to bernie. he has a pro-life background (which he plays down these days) and literally has been unable to say anything except sexist comments since his wife left him years ago. like in 2010 when he not-so-subtly accused roxanne conlin of having an affair with a lobbyist in the middle of a debate ("she's standing closer to the lobbyist in this photo than her husband..") or when he can't help but suggest that joni ernst won in 2014 because the election was a "beauty contest." he literally personally comments on articles on the des moines register website about rob hogg where he just calls him a corporate shill. and if you've ever seen him speak, he never loving shuts up about gmos and other bullshit.

there is no candidate i hate more than tom fiegen.

:allbuttons: @ fiegen

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Fiegen is p bad, yeah.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Grassley is probably going to win reelection anyway. :(

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

byob inherited our spinning

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Breadallelogram posted:

Grassley is probably going to win reelection anyway. :(

:( I'm sorry. I feel the same way about by terrible rep.

Dave Reichert!!! :argh:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
A big problem will be the need to weed out the actual crazies that both naturally tend to gravitate to fringe causes and have their crazy-fueled enthusiasm to put themselves out there to run for office and make public appearances and whatnot. Like a 'Bernie Democrat' wanting to annex Mexico makes all the non-insane left wing people look like idiots.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Goetta posted:

A big problem will be the need to weed out the actual crazies that both naturally tend to gravitate to fringe causes and have their crazy-fueled enthusiasm to put themselves out there to run for office and make public appearances and whatnot.

Yeeup.

Which is what kind of took me aback in a bad way when I saw Fiegen on that spreadsheet. Not as well-vetted as I had hoped...

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How would you go about getting him off that spreadsheet?

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

NumberLast posted:

Yeeup.

Which is what kind of took me aback in a bad way when I saw Fiegen on that spreadsheet. Not as well-vetted as I had hoped...

maybe we should make a new/edited version of that list? supporting sanders does not equal being a progressive. for example donna edwards endorsed clinton but she seemed like a very cool and good candidate (who unfortunately lost).

Breadallelogram posted:

byob inherited our spinning

not too surprising considering the bernie thread was essentially a byob thread at the best of times

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Classic Comrade posted:

maybe we should make a new/edited version of that list? supporting sanders does not equal being a progressive. for example donna edwards endorsed clinton but she seemed like a very cool and good candidate (who unfortunately lost).

I'm down to try it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

YOU A loving HAT posted:

Ah, back in the biz

wait

Don't see why not, plus bernie too since you know, stuff he does matters for this movement.

• Locked thread