Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Ocrassus posted:

We are left with two choices. Rehabilitation, which likely result in lower net crime, but also less of that satisfying feeling (some call it justice, I call it revenge), or retribution, which makes people feel better at the cost of more crime.

Personally I think it would be worth trying to make prisons a nicer place to be. Shorter sentences with more emphasis on education and training for more minor offenses such as drugs and burglary. longer sentences to those who commit more serious crimes, as they're likely to take longer to 'cure' of their predilections. Yes, even money hungry banker-types can feel like they're more a part of society after being in prison, which is a great social leveller, just ask Jordan Belfort. These people owe a debt to society because by committing a crime they are causing it damage, surely we should offer them the tools to repay it and become participating members?

Incapacitation in my ideal system (IE extremely long or complete incarceration) would be reserved for those simply too dangerous to release again. These people should also be treated reasonably well, they aren't there for 'punishment', but to keep the rest of us from being harmed.

During the initial furor over the sentencing of the "Affluenza" teen, I read a memorable quote saying that when an emphasis on rehabilitation goes too far, it can become "making GBS threads on the victims."

After devoting more than a decade of your life to raising your children, it's got to be tough to hear that the guy who casually went joyriding wasted and ran them over can afford a resort-style rehab and so will get a lighter punishment than the other drunk who ran over his own mailbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread