Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
A question for the thread that I am curious about... Is there any salience to the "perpetual prisoner machine" or "crime control as industry" styles of thought when it comes to actual prison reform? Coming at it as an outsider with no interaction with the justice system at all, I've heard it described as either an academically sound point or a conspiracy theory, without anything said in the middle. Is it actually a valid concern? Or simply a morbid thought exercise?

A favourite radio documentarian of mine used the crime control as industry as gateway to create quite a few long documentaries about prisons and their effects. I just don't know if it not unbiased enough since the documentarian seemed a little too much a fan of the one criminologist trying to advance the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Woozy, I think I read what you are saying as in general support of the "crime control as industry" hypothesis, but with the general caveat that it isn't really the surface elements that are the real reason why it's there. I recall Nils Christie made the similar point that it was mostly about storage, and even recently there has been the discovery that the War on Drugs was a political machination even at it's inception -- though, I'm unsure how weighty that particular evidence will remain.

I want to ask the question "if it really doesn't matter anymore, then what now," but I get the feeling that is outside the scope of this thread. So instead: how much is "storage" a factor in the current thought of prison reform? Is there any good working definition of what "storage" means in this context that most criminologists would agree on?

• Locked thread