Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I grew up in the town that Sarah Palin was mayor of, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

did you gently caress her

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

did you gently caress her

i would like to gently caress sarah palin haha but no tho yeah haha really

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
What about Todd he got a real meaty rear end.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
I made a joke that referenced dinosaurs being around 65+million years ago around my wife's aunt. She corrected me with well its more like 50,000. I just kinda laughed and said yeah some big number like that heh....
I thought that number was really odd.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I live in the south so I just assume that everyone i meet doesn't believe in evolution and is a goddamn moron

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

me and a good friend were watching youtube videos stoned as poo poo about 8 years ago and this snake was trying to eat an entire wildebeest, gives up and pukes the entire thing up. he turns to me and goes "and that's why evolution is bull poo poo". it was really hard to let that one go and it blew my stoned brain into a thousand pieces over how stupid someone i call a best friend is

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Friendly Humour posted:

I have two cousins. Everything else in my paternal and maternal family trees has been obliterated in wars or never borne offspring. I just realised that's a bit odd.

In Norway we have accurate census data going back to the beginning of the 19th century and it turns out that everyone living here now (excluding recent immigrants) is descended from only about 25% of everyone who lived here then. Sure, there was a bit of emigration but that still means a shitload of family lines going extinct for one reason or another.

My own anecdotal evidence of evolution which is semi-relevant to this is that most of my ancestors were fishermen since Odin slew Ymir, a pretty dangerous occupation when you have open boats and have to do everything by hand or wind power. I have a naturally strong grip and my theory is that this is genetic because all of the old-time fishermen who had weak grips got weeded out from the gene pool due to losing hold of important stuff like ropes or oars at critical moments and getting themselves drowned.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Holyshoot posted:

What's the story behind people saying carbon dating is wrong? I remember when I was super young someone saying they threw a monkey bone into a hot springs for 3 hours and it got carbon dated at 12,000 years old and that was how carbon dating was wrong.

Carbon dating narrows things down with a pretty wide margin of error, and yes there are all sorts of things that naturally (or intentionally) occur that can throw the numbers way the hell off. That's why we use radiometric dating, and plain old carbon dating hasn't been a thing since the early 60's or longer. Anyone bitching about the problems with carbon dating are really just letting you know that they don't even grasp a basic understanding of their own poor argument.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

My gf's family are that branch of christianty which take the bible very literally. Discussions about old testament stuff don't usually get very far before they change the subject, they simply don't feel that they need to argue for their beliefs.

Her sister has just had a son, and her mother asked if she was going to tell him about dinosaurs, not because of evolution, but because dinosaurs are a boy thing and that might confuse him or something since they arent real. It was a very weird conversation to overhear.

Fortunately my gf steered totally clear of that whole scene.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I know a guy who believes in "Microevolution" but not "Macroevolution".

That is to say, he's an idiot.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Made funnier by the fact that Every Pope in the last 25 years has been super cool with evolution

Not really. They believe something similar to evolution, but tack on an entirely unnecessary and untestable variable.

"Evolution is true, but God started the process."

That's not a very scientific theory.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We've actually observed speciation, but these people either find a way to disregard the evidence or move the goalpost. They want to see something like a monkey giving birth to a human.

Which would actually disprove evolution if it occurred. I guess people who disbelieve evolution often don't really understand what it even is.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 30, 2016

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Bushmaori posted:

One of my old high-school friends went of the deep end and started railing about those drat evolutionists, all talkin bout where are the transitional fossils, huh!?

Ask him to show you a fossil that isn't transitional.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

genesplicer posted:

Pretty much all of my extended family most of them work for churches in the Bible Belt and such.

However, being a science teacher who emphsizes biological evolution whenever I get the chance, I have run into quite a few parents who believe in creationism. I have butted heads with many parents over the years and have developed quite a reputation for my dogged support of science. I do have two favorite examples:

1. One year, at Back To School, I had a mom who was very belligerent. She demanded to know why I would teach evolution to children. I answered her, that it was not only state law, but also verified science. She kept hammering me, bringing up all this creationist nonsense, all of which I countered with science. After several relentless minutes she finally stopped, smiled and said " I guess my daughter's in the right class." It turns out she was a biology professor at the local university and taught evolution, and wanted to make sure her daughter was getting a decent science education.

2. Quite a long time ago, we got word that a bunch of creationists were going to address the school board. Since anybody can address the board, I signed up to offer my views. During the board meeting, I endured a group of people trying to explain why evolution was bad, and how, at the least we needed to have "equal time", in the name of "fairness". When I got up for my turn, I explained that I taught science, and that creationism was, in no way, based on science, that it was a thinly-veiled attempt to bring one particular religious view into the science class. Then I said "I will now provide you with every single example of scientifically verifiable evidence that supports creationism over evolution:" I spent the rest of my time in absolute silence as the board and audience became increasingly unconfortable.

Eventually the board concluded that evolution is part of the science curriculum, and creationism wasn't, and trying to shoehorn it into the curriculum would just take up valuable time in out already-crowded schedule.

If evolution is so true then how come you haven't evolved better posting?? HAHA :twisted:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Frankenstyle posted:

Ask him to show you a fossil that isn't transitional.

I'm no biologist, but I think most fossils aren't transitional. Most species go through long periods where they don't change, with a few isolated episodes where there is relatively rapid evolutionary change.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Celluloid Sam posted:

My mom doesn't believe in evolution and goes so far as to not accept that mental conditions can be inherited genetically. I tried to explain as simply as I understand that many things have been identified in the human genome like certain alleles definitely effect things like anxiety disorders or schizophrenia but she just kind of waved it off and said that she still thinks environment is the main thing that effects people. If I spelled effect wrong and it should be affect than suck my dick op.

Affect is a verb, effect is a noun, generally.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've met several "it's just a theory" types, but in almost all cases what they really mean is "you can't tell me monkeys just morphed into humans overnight! why are there still monkeys!!???". So they deny evolution, but they really don't understand what it actually is and actively don't want to find out.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The idea of someone not believing in evolution, like as an actual person you could meet in the street, is just weird to me

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The Midwest is weird.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My sister-in-law's ex husband, OP. He was a Christian, not so much because of the deep and abiding faith he had in Jesus Christ and the Bible, but because he lacked any sort of critical faculties and would believe the first thing he was told unquestioningly.
In addition to not beliving in evolution, he also belived in chemtrails, the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, UFOs, Jackalopes, the illuminati, ghost hunters, chupacabras, mermaids (basically all cryptids and cryptid sightings), the cataclysm theory of geoformation, that dinosaurs and humans coexisted (and still coexist) and is an avid Trump supporter.

In the few times he came over before I stopped allowing him on my property, he tried to convince me that if dinosaurs still existed, it would disprove evolution, and that dinosaurs had been sighted in the jungles of Africa many times. He also tried to explain that 5000 years ago, Earth was surrouned by a much thicker layer of atmosphere that shielded us from the harmful effects of the sun and thus allowed much longer lifespans, and that the Biblical flood was the atmosphere condensing into the oceans (which did not previously exist). He offered me a steak dinner if I would come with him to the Creation museum and I told him that he could shove it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

criscodisco posted:

The Midwest is weird.

I'm in Virginia, and roughly two thirds of the people I have to deal with are Young Earth creationists or pretend to be in order to fit in. It's a goddam freakshow.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

The Bible posted:

Not really. They believe something similar to evolution, but tack on an entirely unnecessary and untestable variable.

"Evolution is true, but God started the process."

That's not a very scientific theory.

You're not going to see them completely write out the existence of God based on anything. Faith isn't like picking character stats on WoW, it's a need for hope. My old priest once said it best.

To attempt to quote
"We always assume God has his hand in our lives. He might have made the big bang, he might not have. He could have used the Yucatan meteor strike to wipe the world clean for us, he could have ended the ice age to help us flourish after the floods. And if he didn't then atleast we wasted our time trying to help others and act outside our selfish thoughts. Faith is just as much for man to believe in his own ability to change the world for the better as it is in God himself. We have to assume God works in the details because that's where change matters the most and what we can affect our selves one day at a time. "

So really, ragging on the Catholic Church for one of its more intelligent stances because it's not the exact same as Richard Dawkins is kinda petty.

But ragging on them for the whole child rape and 3rd world AIDS things are pretty spot on

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Applewhite posted:

and that the Biblical flood was the atmosphere condensing into the oceans (which did not previously exist).

he got this part wrong :mad: In the beginning, darkness was upon the deep, and the spirit of God moved upon the waters.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I took an anatomy and physiology class and the otherwise really cool professor kept talking about how evolution was fake and the human body was perfectly designed and how "that monkey ain't no kin to me."

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Booblord Zagats posted:

he could have ended the ice age to help us flourish after the floods.

Except he couldn't have because we are still in an ice age that has lasted over 2 million years.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Groke posted:

In Norway we have accurate census data going back to the beginning of the 19th century and it turns out that everyone living here now (excluding recent immigrants) is descended from only about 25% of everyone who lived here then. Sure, there was a bit of emigration but that still means a shitload of family lines going extinct for one reason or another.

My own anecdotal evidence of evolution which is semi-relevant to this is that most of my ancestors were fishermen since Odin slew Ymir, a pretty dangerous occupation when you have open boats and have to do everything by hand or wind power. I have a naturally strong grip and my theory is that this is genetic because all of the old-time fishermen who had weak grips got weeded out from the gene pool due to losing hold of important stuff like ropes or oars at critical moments and getting themselves drowned.

The North is a bloody place.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Groke posted:

look at this dirty nord coming from a long line of retard masterbaters trying to cover it up

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Skeleton Ape posted:

Did you work at the Field?

I did indeed. The best place.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Groke posted:

Something like a third of Norway's population immigrated to North America during the 19th century. It was more than a bit, I think.

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Profondo Rosso posted:

idk guys seems like theres a pretty convincing argument against evolution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPtjXFfczM

:fry:

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

The Bible posted:

I know a guy who believes in "Microevolution" but not "Macroevolution".

That is to say, he's an idiot.

this is about as sophisticated as they get, but it takes a decent education in genetics to explain why this is a false distinction

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-qbxtkcGYc

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Applewhite posted:

My sister-in-law's ex husband, OP. He was a Christian, not so much because of the deep and abiding faith he had in Jesus Christ and the Bible, but because he lacked any sort of critical faculties and would believe the first thing he was told unquestioningly.
In addition to not beliving in evolution, he also belived in chemtrails, the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, UFOs, Jackalopes, the illuminati, ghost hunters, chupacabras, mermaids (basically all cryptids and cryptid sightings), the cataclysm theory of geoformation, that dinosaurs and humans coexisted (and still coexist) and is an avid Trump supporter.

In the few times he came over before I stopped allowing him on my property, he tried to convince me that if dinosaurs still existed, it would disprove evolution, and that dinosaurs had been sighted in the jungles of Africa many times. He also tried to explain that 5000 years ago, Earth was surrouned by a much thicker layer of atmosphere that shielded us from the harmful effects of the sun and thus allowed much longer lifespans, and that the Biblical flood was the atmosphere condensing into the oceans (which did not previously exist). He offered me a steak dinner if I would come with him to the Creation museum and I told him that he could shove it.

sounds like quite an interesting character can't believe you turned down a steak dinner and a trip to a creation museum. also jackalopes and chupacabras are real

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Strategic Tea posted:

The idea of someone not believing in evolution, like as an actual person you could meet in the street, is just weird to me

wasn't there a poll that said like 40% of Americans deny evolution?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Keep Autism Wired posted:

wasn't there a poll that said like 40% of Americans deny evolution?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Applewhite posted:

this dude sounds pretty awesome I gotta say

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i had no idea that "dinosaurs being sighted in the jungles of Africa" was a part of creationism until that post but i did some googling and its a whole thing and, imo, pretty convincing. also pterodactyls flying around during the american civil war? good stuff

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I almost dated a woman in college but she chose my Christian friend instead, so she was still around occasionally. She didn't believe in evolution, global warming, or large scale government corruption.

She said she had never seen convincing evidence of any of those three things, which I believe because she never read anything besides Facebook and buzzfeed.
Turns out she was also impressively alcoholic.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Earwicker posted:

i had no idea that "dinosaurs being sighted in the jungles of Africa" was a part of creationism until that post but i did some googling and its a whole thing and, imo, pretty convincing. also pterodactyls flying around during the american civil war? good stuff

I remember when I was a kid going to a sold-out conference center and listening to a guy talk about the evidence for dinosaurs still living deep in African jungles. He played sound recordings and quoted local myths about strange animals in the forest. Someone bought me a book there called "Bomby the Bombardier Beetle" that disproves evolution for kids (because bombardier beetles are too amazing evolve).

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I used to work with this pakistani guy who didn't believe in evolution. It was weird he was like a naturalized redneck muslim, spent his free time doing karate and muddin. Wore those jackets with pictures of leaves and poo poo on them. I've met other people who didn't believe in evolution but those people were boring so I'm not gonna say any more about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jim Barris posted:

Wore those jackets with pictures of leaves and poo poo on them.

are you referring to camouflage

• Locked thread