Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

Dreddout posted:

I had a doctor who was a creationist, he gave me the whole spiel when I had to get my appendix removed.

For someone reason he thought it was professional to waste my time, so he could tell me about how the appendix isn't a vestigial organ at all.

In retrospect, it is fairly terrifying to realize there are doctors like that out there.

I took my grandmother to the hospital once, after she tripped and hurt herself. The nurse attending to her told us that she would never have her kids vaccinated because it could cause autism. It felt like I had fallen into the Twilight Zone.

Also, we got stuck in the waiting room long enough to have to sit through both Soul Plane and some movie where Q-tip is in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010

Heteroy posted:

I took my grandmother to the hospital once, after she tripped and hurt herself. The nurse attending to her told us that she would never have her kids vaccinated because it could cause autism. It felt like I had fallen into the Twilight Zone.

Tons of nurses are anti-vax, apparently. Hell, a lot of them don't even believe in getting flu shots despite the fact that they're around people with compromised immune systems all day. pretty hosed up imo

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Used to date a girl who believed the "microcosmic" evolution thing. She would say "well, bacteria can evolve but larger organisms can't" to which I asked how small things can all change while the bigger things they comprise remain unchanged. She sort of smiled like I was trying to trick her.

It was weird because she wanted to be a physicist and she explained that even though the universe would expand forever, there'd still be life all over. Even though what she said pretty much denies Newtonian physics at its most basic, didn't have the heart to tell her about heat death.

I believe she is now living in a doomsday shelter with a bunch of guns and a husband who sincerely believes there will be something akin to a zombie apocalypse. I do not speak to them.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

best friend massage posted:

Tons of nurses are anti-vax, apparently. Hell, a lot of them don't even believe in getting flu shots despite the fact that they're around people with compromised immune systems all day. pretty hosed up imo

My wife's godmother has been an OR nurse for 35 years and is completely full of poo poo. She believes poison ivy is contagious, but colds are caused by going outside without a sweater. Women should gain no more than five pounds during a pregnancy. I once heard her mention that she uses Tylenol PM to go to sleep. I mentioned to her that she should just take a couple Benadryl since it was the same thing, except it didn't have the extra Tylenol there that didn't help you sleep but did gently caress up you liver. She told me that she was gonna go ahead and keep doing what she was doing, since she was the only medical professional in the room with over three decades of experience.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Something like a third of Norway's population immigrated to North America during the 19th century. It was more than a bit, I think.

Emigration was a big deal, yes, but saying that as much as a third of the population emigrated is based on a slight misunderstanding... somewhere between 800 and 900 thousand people, yes, but spread over a century (the emigration period is usualliy counted as 1825 to 1925). The population of Norway grew from approximately 1 million to just under 3 million in this timeframe; obviously the total number of Norwegians who were alive at some point during this century was somewhat larger.

(Also, incidentally, about 25% of the people who emigrated ended up moving back. Including one set of my great-great-grandparents, who had emigrated separately, met in the Norwegian ghetto in Chicago, married and started raising a family, and eventually got homesick and went back -- so one of my great-grandfathers was actually a US citizen by birth.)

Actually I was just bored enough to dig up the official statistics and summed up the total number of live births in Norway from 1825 to 1925 and got 5348778; add to this 1035345 who were already alive in 1825, and the migration is more like 14% at most. Or something like 10% when you subtract the ones who came back.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Booblord Zagats posted:

So really, ragging on the Catholic Church for one of its more intelligent stances because it's not the exact same as Richard Dawkins is kinda petty.

I'm not speaking to the rest of that. I'm just saying, their stance on evolution is not scientific in the least. Dawkins didn't decide what evolution is, the Scientific Method did that. Adding unnecessary and untestable variables to theories that don't need them is just bad science, whatever the reason.

This isn't about not seeing evolution "exactly the same" as anyone, this is about making a concrete claim ("The Hebrew God is the direct cause of evolution") that has absolutely no evidence in its favor. Not even the actual Theory of Evolution makes any claims about what kicked off the whole process.

Dressing it up in "faith" doesn't make it any less absurd.

Keep Autism Wired posted:

this is about as sophisticated as they get, but it takes a decent education in genetics to explain why this is a false distinction

A middle school education in genetics is enough. It is the same as "I believe in Adaptation, not Evolution". They are the same damned thing, just one is observed over more time than the other.

Keep Autism Wired posted:

sounds like quite an interesting character can't believe you turned down a steak dinner and a trip to a creation museum. also jackalopes and chupacabras are real

He probably would have had to have the dinner with him.

Earwicker posted:

you dont have to actually believe in evolution in order to figure out where oil or coal or natural gas is. the processes of finding natural resources are still the same whether you believe in the science of where everything came from or not. just like you can still repair a car even if you believe gasoline is made from unicorn blood or whatever.

Yeah, but so much of the science of those processes depends on the Earth being old as gently caress. People like her literally just have to shove doubt to the backs of their minds, watch the science be proven right again and again, then pretend they never saw that happen.

You analogy here would be more apt if you had to refine gasoline from crude oil while still believing it was actually unicorn blood.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 1, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

best friend massage posted:

Those nurses are normally the ones stuck working in old folks homes. The ones that force vaccines on employees and have to go to court every few years to enforce their contracts

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

yeah he was called tim and he was doing a degree in physics. i think he said some bullshit about the flood being real because it's in every culture in the world so I pointed out that doesn't prove Christianity right so I spent the rest of the argument pretending to be a Zoroastrian. have to wonder tho if a Muslim is telling you you're being an illogical piece of poo poo you should shut the gently caress up

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

dude i met at uni thinks that every terrorist attack is a false flag, prince was assassinated and the illuminati exists, he probably doesn't believe in evolution

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The Dregs posted:

My wife's godmother has been an OR nurse for 35 years and is completely full of poo poo. She believes poison ivy is contagious, but colds are caused by going outside without a sweater. Women should gain no more than five pounds during a pregnancy. I once heard her mention that she uses Tylenol PM to go to sleep. I mentioned to her that she should just take a couple Benadryl since it was the same thing, except it didn't have the extra Tylenol there that didn't help you sleep but did gently caress up you liver. She told me that she was gonna go ahead and keep doing what she was doing, since she was the only medical professional in the room with over three decades of experience.

i work in a medical field and nurses are by and far the worst people i've dealt with. every single one thinks theyre a genius but get this: they're all morons

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately yes I have OP, and they unironically used same the argument as that clip from It's Always Sunny that was posted on page 1. I am not friends with them anymore because it was high school and they were just generally annoying, but if it weren't for that, the evolution thing definitely would've done it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RedMage129 posted:

Does it really matter whether people believe in evolution? I mean, intelligent design is stupid as gently caress, but it has no real world implications if people believe it. It's not like Climate Change where people's opinions can actually impact the world in some way through policy and societal habits.

Guess how most intelligent designers feel about climate change.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I met a guy in 10th grade biology, he was a semi-regular lab partner. He was recently converted/saved to Christianity and he 100% did not believe in evolution.

At that time he was just an acquaintance and someone I liked doing lab work with because he put out effort and didn't dump all the work on me and the other nerd we worked with.

But he became my friend later when it turned out he was in my social circle through other people. I know a few more too.

It's dumb but if you haven't met them I can only assume you're sheltered as gently caress or have never met a bible thumper which seems unlikely if you're american.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why are americans afraid of vaccines holy poo poo

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Once upon a time, this one guy released a study that said so. It was science, so it was true. Then a gajillion other scientists said the study was full of poo poo, but their opinions were boring and non-sensational so no one listened.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:911:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Zzulu posted:

I am like 70% certain you are Lars von Trier.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I've never had a flu shot and have never gotten the flu and get sick like once a year if that :smug:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

phasmid posted:

I am like 70% certain you are Lars von Trier.

You might be 70% correct

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
It's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
It's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Guess how most intelligent designers feel about climate change.
gently caress Sunny!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmKcM87enuI

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tfw you realize the entire part of the world that's not Europe is all hellish theocratic dystopias

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Yeah but at least we don't have to live in Europe.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
I grew up in Montana. so I met many such people.

I found out yesterday one of them now works for JPL :confused:

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

genesplicer posted:

Pretty much all of my extended family most of them work for churches in the Bible Belt and such.

However, being a science teacher who emphsizes biological evolution whenever I get the chance, I have run into quite a few parents who believe in creationism. I have butted heads with many parents over the years and have developed quite a reputation for my dogged support of science. I do have two favorite examples:

1. One year, at Back To School, I had a mom who was very belligerent. She demanded to know why I would teach evolution to children. I answered her, that it was not only state law, but also verified science. She kept hammering me, bringing up all this creationist nonsense, all of which I countered with science. After several relentless minutes she finally stopped, smiled and said " I guess my daughter's in the right class." It turns out she was a biology professor at the local university and taught evolution, and wanted to make sure her daughter was getting a decent science education.

2. Quite a long time ago, we got word that a bunch of creationists were going to address the school board. Since anybody can address the board, I signed up to offer my views. During the board meeting, I endured a group of people trying to explain why evolution was bad, and how, at the least we needed to have "equal time", in the name of "fairness". When I got up for my turn, I explained that I taught science, and that creationism was, in no way, based on science, that it was a thinly-veiled attempt to bring one particular religious view into the science class. Then I said "I will now provide you with every single example of scientifically verifiable evidence that supports creationism over evolution:" I spent the rest of my time in absolute silence as the board and audience became increasingly unconfortable.

Eventually the board concluded that evolution is part of the science curriculum, and creationism wasn't, and trying to shoehorn it into the curriculum would just take up valuable time in out already-crowded schedule.

What state do you teach in? I currently teach science in a godless communist country and don't have to worry about this, but I'm considering going back to America and this is a minor but real concern of mine.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I once met a doctor who unironically tried to convince me that the earth is 6000 years old and god made us all, while calling a disease god's curse.
He even was quite young, maybe around 30 or so.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Let us English posted:

I found out yesterday one of them now works for JPL :confused:

I'm an astronomer and you'd probably be surprised how many are Christian/creationist. Not the Young Earth kind, but the "evolution/whatever is real and God designed it to work this way" kind. I'm not referring to hack/crackpot scientists who got their PhD in some third world country, but full tenured professors at respectable universities. It never seemed odd to me but some people are just flabbergasted that people widely considered to be intelligent can also be religious.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm an astronomer and you'd probably be surprised how many are Christian/creationist. Not the Young Earth kind, but the "evolution/whatever is real and God designed it to work this way" kind. I'm not referring to hack/crackpot scientists who got their PhD in some third world country, but full tenured professors at respectable universities. It never seemed odd to me but some people are just flabbergasted that people widely considered to be intelligent can also be religious.

I'm never surprised to meet a religious scientist but young earth scientists make my head spin.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Nobnob posted:

I once met a doctor who unironically tried to convince me that the earth is 6000 years old and god made us all, while calling a disease god's curse.
He even was quite young, maybe around 30 or so.

I hope someone says that to me someday so I can ask them what did I do to make god curse me with type 1 diabetes at age 10.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Hello, I'm a person who's entire livelihood relies on objective observation of the world and I believe an invisible being made me

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Holyshoot posted:

I hope someone says that to me someday so I can ask them what did I do to make god curse me with type 1 diabetes at age 10.

Did you eat your vegetables when your parents told you to? It a commandment to honor your mom and dad.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

RedMage129 posted:

Does it really matter whether people believe in evolution? I mean, intelligent design is stupid as gently caress, but it has no real world implications if people believe it. It's not like Climate Change where people's opinions can actually impact the world in some way through policy and societal habits.

It does matter for the prediction and control of stuff like influenza. There's plenty of real world impact from it. However you won't see it talked about often and good luck getting a gop or :smugdon: voter to understand/listen to it.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

It does matter for the prediction and control of stuff like influenza. There's plenty of real world impact from it. However you won't see it talked about often and good luck getting a gop or :smugdon: voter to understand/listen to it.

Yeah but viruses just do microevolution. That's OK to believe in.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Mysterious ways and if you press the issue it's going to get bitter.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

I checked with my Calvinist doctor and he says it's predestination. You were bound for hell even before you were born

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Phlegmish posted:

Tfw you realize the entire part of the world that's not Europe is all hellish theocratic dystopias

Send help, I see an eye of Providence directly across the street from me!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I checked with my Calvinist doctor and he says it's predestination. You were bound for hell even before you were born

RIP me. Good thing I accepted Jesus so I now get to go to heaven!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If you're predestined for hell Jesus isn't going to save you, sorry.

Calvinist God is a real dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If you're predestined for hell Jesus isn't going to save you, sorry.

Calvinist God is a real dick.

So he's like the jehova witness god but more people can get into heaven instead of just 144,000?

• Locked thread