Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bible
May 8, 2010

I know a guy who believes in "Microevolution" but not "Macroevolution".

That is to say, he's an idiot.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Made funnier by the fact that Every Pope in the last 25 years has been super cool with evolution

Not really. They believe something similar to evolution, but tack on an entirely unnecessary and untestable variable.

"Evolution is true, but God started the process."

That's not a very scientific theory.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We've actually observed speciation, but these people either find a way to disregard the evidence or move the goalpost. They want to see something like a monkey giving birth to a human.

Which would actually disprove evolution if it occurred. I guess people who disbelieve evolution often don't really understand what it even is.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Booblord Zagats posted:

So really, ragging on the Catholic Church for one of its more intelligent stances because it's not the exact same as Richard Dawkins is kinda petty.

I'm not speaking to the rest of that. I'm just saying, their stance on evolution is not scientific in the least. Dawkins didn't decide what evolution is, the Scientific Method did that. Adding unnecessary and untestable variables to theories that don't need them is just bad science, whatever the reason.

This isn't about not seeing evolution "exactly the same" as anyone, this is about making a concrete claim ("The Hebrew God is the direct cause of evolution") that has absolutely no evidence in its favor. Not even the actual Theory of Evolution makes any claims about what kicked off the whole process.

Dressing it up in "faith" doesn't make it any less absurd.

Keep Autism Wired posted:

this is about as sophisticated as they get, but it takes a decent education in genetics to explain why this is a false distinction

A middle school education in genetics is enough. It is the same as "I believe in Adaptation, not Evolution". They are the same damned thing, just one is observed over more time than the other.

Keep Autism Wired posted:

sounds like quite an interesting character can't believe you turned down a steak dinner and a trip to a creation museum. also jackalopes and chupacabras are real

He probably would have had to have the dinner with him.

Earwicker posted:

you dont have to actually believe in evolution in order to figure out where oil or coal or natural gas is. the processes of finding natural resources are still the same whether you believe in the science of where everything came from or not. just like you can still repair a car even if you believe gasoline is made from unicorn blood or whatever.

Yeah, but so much of the science of those processes depends on the Earth being old as gently caress. People like her literally just have to shove doubt to the backs of their minds, watch the science be proven right again and again, then pretend they never saw that happen.

You analogy here would be more apt if you had to refine gasoline from crude oil while still believing it was actually unicorn blood.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 1, 2016

• Locked thread