Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've been watching lots of Indian YouTube cooking channels lately. I can recommend Gita's Kitchen. Production value is not so great but everything else is good. Representative video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOisVgSBUgc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made some dino dosa batter this weekend. I used a 50-50 mix of brown rice and red cargo rice and it turned out quite ... nice!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Gita's kitchen is loving legit. She's also freaking organised, and looking at her neatly arranged kitchen is so calming on so many levels. Her South Indian food is (IMO) a skosh more leaning towards Andhra/Karnataka than Tamil Nadu/Kerala. What does that mean? In random places, you'll find her using sugar/jaggery. Not a lot, like the loving gujjus, but a few pinches. Personally, I don't much care for that addition, but she generally says it's optional, which is cool by me.

... wtf when did Andhra split up. What is going on.

RE: Brown rice for dosa. I was on a weird health kick at one point, and made it with brown rice, and it came out fine. Until I realised that my dosa weren't coming out proper puffy because the proper rice to use for dosa is partially parboiled medium grain rice. Once I started subbing that in, it came out perfect.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
I've gotten to the point where I have most of the spices and can make recipes that I find online. What I'm struggling with now is understanding how each spice contributes to a dish, and why some recipes of the same food have more of one spice or different spices versus another.

For example, here are two recipes of a similar dish: potato curry.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/potato-curry-recipe/
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/81354/potato-curry/

But one of them uses double the amount of coriander and turmeric, and doesn't use garam masala or mustard seeds. It becomes tough to experiment when there are so many spices in a dish to contribute to the flavor. Like where can I find how mustard seeds, tumeric, coriander, ginger/garlic paste contribute to a dish and when to use more or less?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dino. posted:

Gita's kitchen is loving legit. She's also freaking organised, and looking at her neatly arranged kitchen is so calming on so many levels. Her South Indian food is (IMO) a skosh more leaning towards Andhra/Karnataka than Tamil Nadu/Kerala. What does that mean? In random places, you'll find her using sugar/jaggery. Not a lot, like the loving gujjus, but a few pinches. Personally, I don't much care for that addition, but she generally says it's optional, which is cool by me.

... wtf when did Andhra split up. What is going on.

RE: Brown rice for dosa. I was on a weird health kick at one point, and made it with brown rice, and it came out fine. Until I realised that my dosa weren't coming out proper puffy because the proper rice to use for dosa is partially parboiled medium grain rice. Once I started subbing that in, it came out perfect.

I don't know if anyone is still editing the GWS Wiki, but perhaps you could add that note about the brown rice vs the parboiled rice. They're certainly tasty the way I made them!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

ProSlayer posted:

I've gotten to the point where I have most of the spices and can make recipes that I find online. What I'm struggling with now is understanding how each spice contributes to a dish, and why some recipes of the same food have more of one spice or different spices versus another.

But one of them uses double the amount of coriander and turmeric, and doesn't use garam masala or mustard seeds. It becomes tough to experiment when there are so many spices in a dish to contribute to the flavor. Like where can I find how mustard seeds, tumeric, coriander, ginger/garlic paste contribute to a dish and when to use more or less?
Garam Masala isn't a "real" spice, it's a blend of other spices, usually turmeric, cumin, paprika, and some other stuff. Different bottles will be completely different blends. That's going to throw you right there, because you're getting turmeric from two places in that dish.

Spicing a dish is kind of the heart of recipe making, so it's not easily explainable in one post. A lot of herbal/seed spices can guide you by their smell. Coriander and mustard seed have grassy, vegetable qualities, cumin and paprika have earthy and savory qualities. Turmeric and ginger don't have as much smell, but have a sharper, hotter taste and a bit of bitterness.

The best way to learn is to experiment. Start your recipe, taste, add some of a spice, taste again and see if you notice a difference. Add another, see how the taste changes. For some spices, a little will go a long way, and some are more forgiving if you overseason. Also, make sure you have enough salt, which helps the other flavors come out.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

ProSlayer posted:

I went on an Indian cookery course and one of the first things was to taste spices individually so you understand what they're like. You miss the lemony bite that coriander seeds have if you're only ever throwing them into a curry, or the complexity of cardamom's perfume. Take a little nibble of your ingredients and really think about what you can sense. It really goes a long way to helping with the understanding you're trying to develop!

You can also make up different tarkas and put them into the same batch of, say, daal and try them side-by-side to see what tastes different.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ProSlayer posted:

What I'm struggling with now is understanding how each spice contributes to a dish, and why some recipes of the same food have more of one spice or different spices versus another.

You're going to have a lot of difficulty figuring out why two recipes for the same food use different spices if you pick "potato curry," because potato curry is not a food. "Curry" is a catchall word we use in English to describe basically any liquidy Indian food. Notice that in addition to having different spices, those two recipes have entirely different ingredients. One has tomatoes and no peas, the other has peas and no tomatoes. One has yogurt, the other doesn't. One has cilantro, another doesn't. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Look up actual recipes for actual food and you'll typically find less variation between recipes. Right now you're basically looking up recipes for "potato soup" and wondering why they're different. They're different because "potato soup" means effectively nothing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

ProSlayer posted:

This is the way to learn spices. Make dry roasted potatoes with one spice. Do it one potato at a time. First stop? Mustard seed. Pop mustard seed in hot oil. Add diced potato. Stir fry till cooked. Eat. Next, do just cumin. Next, do just coriander. Then, do mustard plus turmeric. Then do mustard plus cumin. Then do cumin plus coriander. Then do mustard, cumin, and turmeric. You see where I’m going?

These spices are second nature to me, because I’ve been cooking for well over 25 years now. I’ve done every combination I can think of. Potatoes are neutral enough that you can basically do any combo and it’ll prolly be tasty.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I've been eating Indian recently and as I've branched out from tikka marsala and korma, I've found out that lamb achari is loving amazing. I live near a international market where I can easily get lamb or goat, but would I just have to look for pickling spices? There's obviously a ton of stuff there but I don't know what to get to make a fantastic spicy, sour achari.

Also, any other recommendations to order would be great. I like the heat and sour as well as sweet, I once made a very good mango chicken curry. Alas, I was drunk and randomly tossing in things so I doubt I could recreate it.

e: I once had a fantastic sweet and sour, almost spicy chutney that I've never had since. It was reddish? I want to say mango?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

empty sea posted:

e: I once had a fantastic sweet and sour, almost spicy chutney that I've never had since. It was reddish? I want to say mango?

Might be tamarind?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

empty sea posted:

I've been eating Indian recently and as I've branched out from tikka marsala and korma, I've found out that lamb achari is loving amazing. I live near a international market where I can easily get lamb or goat, but would I just have to look for pickling spices? There's obviously a ton of stuff there but I don't know what to get to make a fantastic spicy, sour achari.

Also, any other recommendations to order would be great. I like the heat and sour as well as sweet, I once made a very good mango chicken curry. Alas, I was drunk and randomly tossing in things so I doubt I could recreate it.

Was it chunky? Or smooth? If the former there’s a bunch of styles of pickled onions that might fit the bill.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

empty sea posted:

I've been eating Indian recently and as I've branched out from tikka marsala and korma, I've found out that lamb achari is loving amazing. I live near a international market where I can easily get lamb or goat, but would I just have to look for pickling spices?
Nope - "pickling spices," despite its generic name, is actually a parochial term for the spice mix which will make generic European style pickles, which are tasty but not exactly any version of an Indian pickle. If you want to make lamb achari I would look for a recipe for lamb achari and buy the things the recipe lists.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A few weeks back I somehow wound up getting into a bunch of YouTube videos of street vendors in Surat making Indo-Chinese stuff in woks. Stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-v6msMYg14

I don't know what the significance of Surat is to this kind of thing. I just assume it's the particular tastes of some YouTubers or something rather than a regional affinity. Regardless, I was looking for more about it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

wow that looks like a stainless steel wok. jackpot!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Oh God, the wok thread is leaking.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Baby’s first thali! Palak paneer, masoor dal, mango and blackberries, raita, mint chutney, cumin rice and some somewhat underdone naan. Had to cut it up to fit it since it turns out I should have gotten bigger plates.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
...anybody else in here?

The butter chicken came out a bit thin and reducing it kind of just turned it into a pulled chicken sort of thing. Next time I'll probably do the sauce and the chicken separate.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I hope I don't end up making GBS threads up the thread with this request, but I'm looking for some simple recipes that I can whip up, preferably in an Instant Pot.

I've made Chicken Tikka Masala and Masoor Dal in my Instant Pot and enjoyed them a lot, and as a guy living on his own, I'd like some other dishes I can make with little time and/or effort for meal prep/freezing for weekends when I have no time to cook. I can drive to an Indian store, so I should have access to most key ingredients. Thanks in advance!

E: I'd try the potato curry recipe above, if not for the knowledge that potato does not freeze well.

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 22, 2019

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

anakha posted:

I hope I don't end up making GBS threads up the thread with this request, but I'm looking for some simple recipes that I can whip up, preferably in an Instant Pot.

I've made Chicken Tikka Masala and Masoor Dal in my Instant Pot and enjoyed them a lot, and as a guy living on his own, I'd like some other dishes I can make with little time and/or effort for meal prep/freezing for weekends when I have no time to cook. I can drive to an Indian store, so I should have access to most key ingredients. Thanks in advance!

E: I'd try the potato curry recipe above, if not for the knowledge that potato does not freeze well.

I'm a big fan of Hari Ghotra's Easy Indian Slow Cooker Cookbook. The recipes for the masoor dal, palak paneer, butter chicken, raita and chutney in my posts up there are all out of that one book (I modified the raita recipe though since I can't find pomegranates anywhere here right now). The recipes are obviously all for slow cookers but they've all worked just fine with my knockoff instant pot's pressure setting, except the palak paneer which calls for way more spinach than I could cram in there so I did end up using my 8qt crock pot. If you're a solo cook I strongly suggest halving that recipe. Anyway here are two others I like:

That aloo gobi is one of my major lunch prep staples. I like to use a whole can of diced tomatoes rather than the half can the recipe calls for.

edit-

dino. posted:

This is the way to learn spices. Make dry roasted potatoes with one spice. Do it one potato at a time. First stop? Mustard seed. Pop mustard seed in hot oil. Add diced potato. Stir fry till cooked. Eat. Next, do just cumin.

The cumin potatoes recipe in this book is how I learned I don't actually like cumin all that much on its own.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 22, 2019

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sex Hobbit posted:

I don't actually like cumin all that much on its own.

???????????

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

I love cumin rice so I am extremely willing to admit that I may have hosed up the potatoes. It was a super simple recipe though, basically just tatoes + cumin -> crockpot.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Sex Hobbit posted:

I love cumin rice so I am extremely willing to admit that I may have hosed up the potatoes. It was a super simple recipe though, basically just tatoes + cumin -> crockpot.

That sounds like an abortion. Ew.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Crossposting from the Dinner Thread.

I picked up some of these newly(ish) advertised Armageddon chillis - apparently ~1.3m scoville units. So I fancied making a hot, vindaloo style curry.

Blitz the peppers and garlic with some oil and water to make a liquid;

Mix with spices (cloves, black cardamom, cumin, coriander, mustard seed, paprika, black pepper, nutmeg, onion and garlic powder), vinegar, lemon juice, water and oil to form an incredibly pungent and rich smelling paste.
The flavours of this are inspired by traditional vindaloo, but changed to fit this dish to get those layers of aromatic spice and heat (that garlic and vinegar kick of a vindaloo is one of my favourites and does really bring the other flavours out).

Fry up diced red onion with a little asafoetida, and some nice chunks of pork belly; add the paste and fry gently to release all those flavours; then keep simmering, adding water, and sliced garlic, until everything breaks down with the onions, the pork is tender;

Once the sauce is reduced, dark, thick and clingy, then serve with saffron and spiced rice, and spring onion to garnish.

Incredible rich, heavy spice flavours, that open the senses just in time for a huge kick of heat that'll leave you sweating and knock you off your feet. It's definitely something for those with a love of seriously hot, but there's so much flavour there as well it's an enjoyable experience.

There's no compromise here. Huge flavours, huge heat. I'm proud of this.

Wouldn't mind serving it with some flatbread as well sometime.

Even my wife, who generally isn't a fan of hot stuff, said it smelt absolutely delicious when she eventually got back from work (but wasn't quite daring enough to try some...)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

loving hell, that sounds incredible.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
im trying to slowly introduce my white boomer parents to indian food. what's a good place to start with stuff that won't be too scary for them? im thinking samosas?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Tandoori dishes might be a good start as well, especially if you've got the weather and equipment to do it justice (obviously, a tandoor or other fired oven is ideal, but a barbeque is still going to produce delicious results.)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kanine posted:

im trying to slowly introduce my white boomer parents to indian food. what's a good place to start with stuff that won't be too scary for them? im thinking samosas?

The traditional British non-scary Indian dish is chicken tikka masala. Which is of course hideously inauthentic, but I believe butter chicken is an actual Indian thing and somewhat similar?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If your parents are not babies, there's nothing "scary" except spicy stuff and pickles. Just feed them whatever. Samosas are good.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
In some parts of the US black pepper is too spicy ^^

feedmegin posted:

The traditional British non-scary Indian dish is chicken tikka masala. Which is of course hideously inauthentic, but I believe butter chicken is an actual Indian thing and somewhat similar?

Pretty much the same thing, one has lots of butter and one has spices

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

In some parts of the US black pepper is too spicy ^^
Right, that's why I explicitly marked "spicy stuff" as one of the only two relevant categories that one might worry about. The stereotype about Indian food is that it's all spicy, but that's complete poppycock, and so Kanine should be fine with any Indian food that doesn't fall into the two categories I listed: spicy or pickles. Basically everything else should be fine, and there are zillions of dishes that fall into "everything else."

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I have a large influx of Punjabi staff that recently started. Work in a professional kitchen. I want to surprise them with a home cooked meal. Any suggestions on what would be a big hit?

I don’t know if the fact that they’re Sikh matter much. Only a small handful are vegetarian.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

virinvictus posted:

I have a large influx of Punjabi staff that recently started. Work in a professional kitchen. I want to surprise them with a home cooked meal. Any suggestions on what would be a big hit?

I don’t know if the fact that they’re Sikh matter much. Only a small handful are vegetarian.

Make something that means something to you. What's your favorite comfort food? What's the food that tastes like home, friends, and welcome to you?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Kanine posted:

Butter chicken. No heat necessary and you can just describe it as “chicken in tomato cream sauce” if they get nervous.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Saag <whatever> is pretty mild, but it also isn't the prettiest and that might be off-putting. Yeah, butter chicken is a good option, chana masala might be good if they like chickpeas/are watching their health.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ymmv but I think tandoori (especially chicken) and naan (especially garlic) are completely nonthreatening. Chicken biryani is also basic.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

virinvictus posted:

Punjabi people are known for a couple of things. They’re the most fun to have at a party, because they genuinely care about hospitality. They love it when you come over, and they can show you a good time. Keeping with that theme, their food has an obscene amount of fat.

Don’t make anything Indian. They’ll eat it, but secretly judge you. Instead, try something Thai or Burmese. Also, even if /one/ of the Punjabi folk are vegetarian, make sure you only make something vegetarian. It goes back to hospitality. If one person can’t enjoy the thing, everyone else feels bad and doesn’t enjoy it either.

All in all, if you have a mass influx of what amounts to the cool kids of India, consider yourself lucky and enjoy the ride.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
my brother's girlfriend is vegetarian and she makes vegetarian indian dishes probably 2-4 times a week. she's definitely got the right idea

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Aloo Gobi is also delicious, although my decidedly non-vegetarian programming is incapable of seeing it as anything other than a side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ChickenWing posted:

Aloo Gobi is also delicious, although my decidedly non-vegetarian programming is incapable of seeing it as anything other than a side

Other than dishes involving paneer, aloo gobi is probably my favorite vegetarian dish out there.