Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hey this is good timing. I am looking for Malaysian Indian recipes and am not sure where to start. I'm planning to make nasi kandar, when I went to those places they'd often have 20+ different dishes and you mix whatever you want. I'm not going that elaborate but I do need a variety.

I know Malaysian Indians mostly come from southern India but I have no idea if the food in Malaysia is the same as it was back home or if they've modified it to be more local or what. I know some of it has mixed with Chinese but... yeah I just don't know. Any good sources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

paraquat posted:

Oke, will do

I did try this before and i have all this stuff around all the time, except for the Indian chili powder, I guess....(I used cayenne peppers for this)
It's just that it always ends up tasting bland. perhaps I shouldn't add coconut oil or liquid at all, ha!

But yeah, I'll give it another go, thanks!

SALT. Did you salt it enough? Even though there's a bunch of spices, you still need salt. That jar you used has shittons of salt in it. Also, you may have needed to use more spices. Adding liquid shouldn't matter if it's properly seasoned.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Crusty Nutsack posted:

SALT. Did you salt it enough? Even though there's a bunch of spices, you still need salt. That jar you used has shittons of salt in it. Also, you may have needed to use more spices. Adding liquid shouldn't matter if it's properly seasoned.

Good one! And then I remembered that I wrote it down and put it online one of the times, so I checked it: I did add salt. It was also saved by more than
150 people in the mean time, and the comments are people telling they made it, loved it and will be making it again.....:-/ Maybe I'm just weird.

Still, I'll try it again and go for a serious amount of Indian chili powder (with enough salt added).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Try tasting as you go, adding more salt, taste again, add more salt etc. Just be careful doing this if there is still plenty of reduction to happen later because then it might become too salty.

A lot of home cooks would be surprised how much salt they should add to make their food taste more vibrant. My dad was a great cook when we were growing up, and we didn't eat out a ton, but my sibling became a chef and I took up cooking as a hobby and now dad's cooking can be bland for our tastes.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Oh yeah, I forgot. That's what ended up being wrong with my first few bland curries too. "There's so many spices in here, I'll just add a pinch." Nope.

If I can get my roommate to take pictures I'll do an aloo gobi post sometime this weekend, that's one of the few Indian dishes I feel comfortable doing without a recipe.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

CommonShore posted:

Solid lentil information

This is the perfect rundown, thank you!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Chicken (and Shrimp) Tikka Masala!

It turned out great! My dad bought a box of Indian spices most of which I know nothing about. I threw in some smoke powder, Ajwain seeds, and Pomegranate Powder. I don't know what difference they made but this was a lot better than the last version. I also used "whole" coconut milk and the tomato paste that comes from a tube rather than the canned kind. This is probably the best tasting thing I've made all year.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrSlam posted:

Chicken (and Shrimp) Tikka Masala!

It turned out great! My dad bought a box of Indian spices most of which I know nothing about. I threw in some smoke powder, Ajwain seeds, and Pomegranate Powder. I don't know what difference they made but this was a lot better than the last version. I also used "whole" coconut milk and the tomato paste that comes from a tube rather than the canned kind. This is probably the best tasting thing I've made all year.

That does look good. Any more specific rundown to your recipe or method?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

That does look good. Any more specific rundown to your recipe or method?

I just did the Food Wishes recipe, and since you have to both visit his blog and watch the video to see the recipe and it's not actually written down anywhere, I'll relate it here with additions in bold and substitutions in parentheses.

Vegetable Oil (Olive oil)
1/8 tsp each cardamom, smoke powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp each turmeric, coriander, smoked paprika, ajwain seeds, pomegranate powder
2 tsp each cumin, garam masala, salt
1 rounded tsp ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, grated (or minced, whatever)
2-3 tbs clarified butter
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs (2 lbs diced chicken)
1 lb shrimp
1 onion, chopped
13.5 oz can coconut milk
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or not)
splash of chicken stock
2 tbs cilantro, chopped
feta cheese

Mix together cardamom, cayenne, black pepper, salt, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, coriander, smoked paprika, ajwain seeds, and pomegranate powder. Coat chicken in olive oil and spice mixture and brown in clarified butter in a pot over high heat. Remove from pot, lower heat to Medium-High and add onions. Cook until softened. Add tomato paste and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in crushed tomatoes and deglaze bottom of pan. Add in coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, change heat to medium low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Cut up chicken to bite-sized pieces (or just buy it that way in the first place) and add to sauce with cilantro and smoke powder. Simmer 10-15 minutes (or 20 while you cook the rice) and add shrimp in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Serve over rice and garnish with feta cheese and more chopped cilantro.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Aside from Tikka Masala, are there any other British inventions attributed as Indian but not technically authentic that people really like eating? Wondering if there's other dishes I'm not getting access to in the USA. Tikka Masala is the only thing I know of.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ranter posted:

Aside from Tikka Masala, are there any other British inventions attributed as Indian but not technically authentic that people really like eating? Wondering if there's other dishes I'm not getting access to in the USA. Tikka Masala is the only thing I know of.

Are you saying your Indian restaurants don't have chicken tikka masala? Because pretty much every one I know of here (WI) does.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Ranter posted:

Here's a riddle. If it's a dish that comes from a Bangladeshi cook that works at an Indian restaurant but the restaurant is in Glasgow, UK, is it Indian?

It's like calling hamburgers and frankfurters German dishes instead of from the good and true United States of America :911:.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Please no food purity arguments :ohdear:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

food genealogy is important imo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Wookums posted:

food genealogy is important imo

Food history is interesting, and stuff like ":v: I went to Punjab and they did it like this and it was really good and you should try it!" is totally welcome, but playing identity politics with someone's dinner is an unwelcome derail.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Are you saying your Indian restaurants don't have chicken tikka masala? Because pretty much every one I know of here (WI) does.

I'm asking for dishes/recipes that I might try making myself that fall into the category I outlined (not authentic but still tasty to Western people). I'm hoping some English goons can chime in. Tikka Masala made its way over the other side of the pond, but are there others? What are they called? I want to try them perhaps.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 9, 2016

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Ranter posted:

I'm asking for dishes/recipes that I might try making myself that fall into the category I outlined (not authentic but still tasty to Western people). I'm hoping some English goons can chime in. Tikka Masala made its way over the other side of the pond, but are there others? What are they called? I want to try them perhaps.

You still need English people for the answer, but perhaps this is a nice read while you wait for them to show up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Indian_cuisine

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Ranter posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/Madhur-Jaffreys-Curry-Nation-Jaffrey/dp/0091949939

An excellent cookbook.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell does it mean to "temper" a chutney? I gather that I fry a couple spices in oil and dump them on top? What'll happen if I just add them to the chutney w/o the extra steps?

Also, what the hell is "roasted chana dal"? Like, I heat up lentils in a dry pan until they start turning golden?

Thanks in Advance

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

What the hell does it mean to "temper" a chutney? I gather that I fry a couple spices in oil and dump them on top? What'll happen if I just add them to the chutney w/o the extra steps?

The flavor won't be as strong. The idea is to get the fat soluble flavors out of the spices and into the oil, where they'll spread more easily through the whole thing instead of being trapped in the individual spices.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Ranter posted:

You might also try Japanese Curry, since I believe it's fairly distinct from traditional Indian curries. One of my favorite recipes is a take on the curry the Japanese Navy serves every Friday. :3:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

You might also try Japanese Curry, since I believe it's fairly distinct from traditional Indian curries. One of my favorite recipes is a take on the curry the Japanese Navy serves every Friday. :3:

Let me second this. For Japanese curry I'd even suggest trying a roux cube/mix like Java Curry or Kokumaru.

https://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/asian-food/sauces-seasoning/curry/kokumaro-curry-medium-hot-7-1-oz

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ranter posted:

Well tikka started in the UK, but if you want to go back further to dishes made in Indian hotels or restaurants for the Brits, then you have to include "Butter chicken" and probably jalfrezi (indian "stirfry" style curry)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Grand Fromage posted:

The flavor won't be as strong. The idea is to get the fat soluble flavors out of the spices and into the oil, where they'll spread more easily through the whole thing instead of being trapped in the individual spices.
This is also why it's generally a bad idea to use olive oil like MrSlam did above, since it has a low smoke point and you want really hot oil for this (generally, throw a cumin seed in there, if it pops right away the oil is hot enough).

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 10, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ranter posted:

Try tasting as you go, adding more salt, taste again, add more salt etc. Just be careful doing this if there is still plenty of reduction to happen later because then it might become too salty.

A lot of home cooks would be surprised how much salt they should add to make their food taste more vibrant. My dad was a great cook when we were growing up, and we didn't eat out a ton, but my sibling became a chef and I took up cooking as a hobby and now dad's cooking can be bland for our tastes.

Might also be he's used to absurd levels of salt. If you are used to that then it becomes normal for you and what others consider normal is not enough to register.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Illinois Smith posted:

This is also why it's generally a bad idea to use olive oil like MrSlam did above, since it has a low smoke point and you want really hot oil for this (generally, throw a cumin seed in there, if it pops right away the oil is hot enough).

To be fair, all we had was olive oil and I didn't plan on cooking my chicken in excess of 410 degrees. Canola or peanut oil is usually the best widely available oil for high smoke-points, particularly peanut oil since it has a neutral flavor or so I have read. For some reason though peanut-oil is hard to find in my neighborhood, and when you do find it it's only in gallon-size portions.

But according to Wikipedia Ghee has a higher smoke point than either of those.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 10, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the/is there a difference between paratha and chiapatis? I have had both which seemed like the same thing, and I buy them at the local indian grocer from the frozen section.

They're like a greasier, more flour-tortilla version of naan. I love them.

Also the ones with potato (aloo) and spices in them are to die for.

I used to make indian-ish food for my vegan ex all the drat time but I never make it anymore, but reading this thread makes me want to go home and cook.

I also love that rice cooked with coconut milk, raisins, nuts, and cardamom.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've been making a really simple red lentil dal for a couple of years. Bloom spices (cumin, turmeric, coriander, hot pepper, some cinnamon etc) in some oil, garlic and ginger and onion, then the lentils, some stock, etc. just a real basic one. It's always been missing some "depth" to the flavor and I've never been able to figure out why. Am i missing something obvious? Any suggestions?

Also, can naan dough be frozen?

M42 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 10, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Salt?
Try adding something with a nutty flavour, ie ghee, urad dal, or a few ground cashews.
Or different spices like the ones you get in curry powder (fenugreek, mace, cloves) that you aren't using already.

Frying some tomato paste adds sweetness and umami as well

Bob Morales posted:

What's the/is there a difference between paratha and chiapatis?

Parathas are supposed to be filled with diced veg or meat.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 10, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

M42 posted:

I've been making a really simple red lentil dal for a couple of years. Bloom spices (cumin, turmeric, coriander, hot pepper, some cinnamon etc) in some oil, garlic and ginger and onion, then the lentils, some stock, etc. just a real basic one. It's always been missing some "depth" to the flavor and I've never been able to figure out why. Am i missing something obvious? Any suggestions?

Also, can naan dough be frozen?

Acid. Add the juice and zest of a lemon for every ~2 cups of dried lentils.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Bob Morales posted:

What's the/is there a difference between paratha and chiapatis? I have had both which seemed like the same thing, and I buy them at the local indian grocer from the frozen section.

Chapati is just flat rolled flour/water dough cooked and puffed over open flame.

Paratha is rolled up, then pressed and rolled flat so it has many layers, almost like puff pastry.

Like a naan, paratha can be stuffed with meat or veg but they're just fine plain.

IMO the greatest bread is fried chapati aka puri:

:swoon:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made some content

2 cups (ish) of red lentils
6 cups of water

Simmered for a while.

Once I could smell the lentils cooking, I skimmed the scum and added
Some ginger root
Juice and zest of one lemon
2 tsp turmeric
1 small cinnamon stick
1 tsp whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1 star anise
1 tsp white pepper

I let that simmer until the lentils were more or less cooked then added
Some coriander leaves
One diced tomato

Meanwhile I blasted in a pot and topped it off with
2 tsp ghee
5 or 6 green cardamom pods
2 tsp coriander seed
2 tsp cumin seed
2 tsp fenugreek
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp brown mustard seeds

Salt and pepper

Served with whole wheat roti because that's what the store had.

I'm going to let it become dal mush for leftovers.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

IMO the greatest bread is fried chapati aka puri:
if I'm gonna scoop my food up with something fried I prefer these

Yes, I know they don't technically count as bread.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ranter posted:

i think phaal counts as what you want. i've never actually eaten one so i don't know how nice they are

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Re: dal, forgot to include that I do use salt and tomato paste, but the paste goes in at the end. Will fry it with the spices instead. Thanks!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

paraquat posted:

You still need English people for the answer, but perhaps this is a nice read while you wait for them to show up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Indian_cuisine

Hmm that wiki isn't quite accurate, I think. To me Anglo-Indian food in that sense is 19th century fusion cooking, not something actually claiming to be Indian that isn't - basically cooks in India adapting their food for their British employers (and then those employers bringing it back to the UK where it got made by white people). Mulligatawny soup is readily available canned over here and pretty tasty. Kedgeree you don't exactly see often any more.

For something more in the modern tikka masala vein, try looking up baltis - http://matthewocallaghan.co.uk/history-of-the-birmingham-balti/

Edit: phaal is basically 'make standard British restaurant curry sauce, then add an absolute poo poo ton of hot peppers to it'. It's kind of a macho thing. Oh, and as for that standard curry sauce -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002S0KC1M/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 12, 2016

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Kedgeree. It's based on Kichidi from India, but has literally nothing in there that the Indian version would recognise, except it has rice, I guess?

OK. I think I need to cover whole and powdered spices right now, because y'all seem to be stumbling, and you will continue to do so until someone sorts this out.

The primary difference between a good and great dish is that Indian food is not meant to be homogenous; this applies to both the way of cooking as a general rule, as well as the actual food you're eating. What am I on about? The reason that most Indian meals are served with all kind of sides, raw veg, pickles, etc is because each bite of food is not meant to taste exactly the same as the previous one. If it does, you're missing out on what makes Indian food what it is.

For example, think of the best samosa you've had. The crust is flaky and tender, while being golden brown and crispy. The best one I had was made with a few lightly crushed ajwain seeds in it. Then the filling is made with cubed potato, aromatics (onions, ginger, etc), ground spices (turmeric, ground red chilies), AND whole spices (crushed coriander), as well as peas, and sometimes cashews (if they can afford it). The crust has the fat, the flour, and the whole seeds in it. Each bite of crust will be a little different from the previous one. Same goes for the filling. Some bites you get a spot of chopped green chilies. Some you get the peas. Some you get the whole coriander seed. And then there's all the sides that samosa are served with. Those little chopped red onions. The green mint/coriander sauce. The sweet brown date and tamarind sauce. Pretty much every bite is different, based on how you eat it and how you garnish it.

Now. You'll see it called "tampering", "tarka", or various other terms. No matter where in India you go, there is SOME version of this. And, it will show up in many many dishes. It'll be in coconut chatni that you see made in the South. You'll see it in raita. You'll find it over dhokla. You'll see it in daal (oh my god, how much you see it in daal). The point is that you make the food in the pot as homogenous as possible. The pieces of vegetables are cut in similar sizes. The aromatics are fried in stages, and ground spices are added. Tomato paste is added to the hot oil + aromatics + ground spices mixture and fried until fragrant. Then you add your ingredient and your liquid. Or, you make your salad, sauce, or whatever. You make the food.

Then at the end, you get out your tarka pan. It's such a common thing that many households have a tiny little pan dedicated to just making tarka. It'll hold roughly 1 - 2 cups max. You throw in a bit of fat (preferably peanut oil, but ghee does work) and let it get screaming hot. You add mustard seed, and whatever other spices it calls for, a bit of hing, and some curry leaves. When the popping subsides, you dump that over top of whatever it is you're adding it to, and spread it around.

Roasting the spices, grinding them, and adding the powder will NOT give the same texture or flavour. Adding the whole spices raw will make the whole thing taste disgusting, especially when it's things like mustard seed, because those spices need some level of processing (being made to a powder, soaking in vinegar and grinding, or cooking) to be edible.

I can explain the process of popping spices in much more detail if necessary, but it's a pretty simple process that takes a long time to explain. So I won't really go into it if noone's fussed, or if y'all already know /how/ to do it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to try my hand at some home made Indian next weekend. Meanwhile, I tried the food at a Indian restaurant near work for the first time. They called them 'Bento Boxes'. $9.99 for vegetarian, $10.99 for a chicken, $11.00 for a lamb. I got the dal makhani, it's the bright red one in the middle:

Other dal makhanis I've had have not been red. Was pretty tasty. The Saag Aloo just came with the box. Naan was made fresh to order along with everything else.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That looks super tasty, and I am very jealous.

I actually just found out about a food truck a couple towns over run by an Indian gentlemen, "Tandoori Dish". I'm hoping to give it a try the next time I can get a free weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Just posting to say that Kedgeree is loving awesome, and incredible comfort food.