Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

Someone critique this chicken tikka masala recipe for me. I combined this recipe with this recipe based on some recommendations I had regarding the first recipe. Pardon the formatting, the instructions are basically copied wholesale and Jamie Oliver's recipes come off a little ponce-y to me.

3-4 Chicken Breasts.
1/2c Plain Yogurt
2 tbsp Butter
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 Large Onion
4 Cloves of Garlic
fresh Ginger (1 x 2-inch chunk)
Cumin
1-2 Chili Peppers
olive oil
1 level tablespoon ground coriander
2 level teaspoons turmeric
3 level tablespoon garam masala
1c chicken stock

1. We’ll get started by seasoning our chicken breasts with some salt, Cumin and Coriander
2. coat the seasoned chicken breasts with some plain yogurt.
4. Once the chicken breasts are coated with the yogurt thoroughly, transfer them to our baking sheet. I really like to use a foil-lined baking sheet with a metal cooling rack over it. This makes for less surface contact on the chicken and helps it to cook more evenly.
5. Slide the chicken in under the broiler for 5-7 minutes and then flip the chicken over and broil for another 5-7 minutes. The chicken should be about 10-12 inches from the broiler.
6. Chicken should come out looking a little burnt

For the sauce,
1. peel the onions and garlic, then finely slice with the red chillies. grate or finely dice the ginger
2. Put it all into a large casserole pan on a medium-high heat with a lug of oil and 2tbsp butter and cook for around 20 minutes, or until golden, stirring regularly. Add water when necessary to prevent burning.
3. Add the ground coriander, turmeric and remaining 1 heaped teaspoon each of paprika and garam masala.
4. Cook for 2 minutes
5. Pour in the tomatoes and chicken stock
6. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, then season to perfection.
7. Chop the chicken into bite-sized chunks and add to sauce
8. Serve with naan bread over rice

I made it tonight and it was very tasty, although it would probably have benefitted from a can of crushed tomatoes for some extra sauce.

- Large chicken breasts might work, but I prefer to marinade smaller pieces overnight - although the marinade won't penetrate the meat too much, a larger surface area allows for more flavor.
- As for spices, my Indian cooking guru told me to start with them - ginger/garlic, koriander, tumeric. Garam masala only ever at the end, in small quantities - that's not supposed to cook.
- use fresh tomato, not canned. Unless I'm mistaken, canned tomato inhibits breaking - and you want to melt the tomato and the onion away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Agricola Frigidus posted:

- use fresh tomato, not canned. Unless I'm mistaken, canned tomato inhibits breaking - and you want to melt the tomato and the onion away.

You are semi-mistaken. Whole canned tomatoes break down fine and are what you should be using most of the time if you're cooking tomatoes and don't have access to fresh in season ones. Diced ones do have a chemical added to keep them firmer so don't use those.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Grand Fromage posted:

You are semi-mistaken. Whole canned tomatoes break down fine and are what you should be using most of the time if you're cooking tomatoes and don't have access to fresh in season ones. Diced ones do have a chemical added to keep them firmer so don't use those.

Calcium chloride will show up in the ingredients, and cans of whole tomatoes sometimes have it too. It's very annoying.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I guess check then, if it doesn't have that you're fine. I use whole Italian plum tomatoes for just about every cooked tomato thing I do and have never had a problem.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've made tomato sauce and shakshuka from cans of whole peeled tomatoes that included calcium chloride (but which of course had to have a non-BPA liner, thanks wife!), and they broke down just fine. I'm not sure if there's a huge difference between whole and diced tomatoes, but the whole worked just fine.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is an Asian market likely to have cheaper coconut milk than a supermarket? I want to make some That curry, but coconut milk is pretty expensive IIRC.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What's your definition of expensive coconut milk? My regular supermarket carries a can for around $1.20 maybe up to $1.99 IIRC. Asian market may have it cheaper, sure. You should be going to your asian market anyway, shits so much cheaper in general at mine. $1.49/lb ground pork? Yes please.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is an Asian market likely to have cheaper coconut milk than a supermarket? I want to make some That curry, but coconut milk is pretty expensive IIRC.

Usually, yes, and sometimes you can buy big containers for even more savings.

If you have a Vitamix or other high-speed blender, you can make your own coconut milk easily enough. Even a regular Osterizer or whatever will make passable coconut milk, but you aren't going to get the completely smooth texture unless you use only the youngest, most tender coconuts. Depending on coconut prices it can end up cheaper to make your own, but usually it's cheaper to buy it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think it's like $2-2.50/13.5oz can here.

Would Costco have it in huge containers too? I try to make a double batch whenever I make curry, since it scales easily. I'm also interested in the Thai yellow curry because a local English style gastropub makes a really good yellow chicken curry with carrots, potatoes, and maybe bell peppers. I'd love to be able to replicate that in an 8-10 meal batch for the same price as one plate there.

I'll look for an Asian market near where I'm moving, I would have to drive across town for the one I live by now. That one also is just packaged stuff, no cheap meat.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would Costco have it in huge containers too? I try to make a double batch whenever I make curry, since it scales easily. I'm also interested in the Thai yellow curry because a local English style gastropub makes a really good yellow chicken curry with carrots, potatoes, and maybe bell peppers. I'd love to be able to replicate that in an 8-10 meal batch for the same price as one plate there.

I'll look for an Asian market near where I'm moving, I would have to drive across town for the one I live by now. That one also is just packaged stuff, no cheap meat.

Around here the Costco coconut milk is about that price, but only sold in 12-packs (of 13.5oz cans). That said, it is uncommonly high quality, very coconutty and clean-tasting (my sister shops at Costco religiously, so I've had the chance to try it).

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you have a Vitamix or other high-speed blender, you can make your own coconut milk easily enough. Even a regular Osterizer or whatever will make passable coconut milk, but you aren't going to get the completely smooth texture unless you use only the youngest, most tender coconuts. Depending on coconut prices it can end up cheaper to make your own, but usually it's cheaper to buy it.

The problem I've always had with coconut milk isn't blending the flesh smooth, it's getting the drat stuff out of the coconut. How do you easily and quickly separate the white flesh from the brown rind?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I found an Asian market within 2.5 miles of my new place, so I'll check that out.

Dones anyone have a recommended recipe for a vegetarian dish aside from saag paneer? I liked the little bit I tried, but I think that it would be too much spinach if I had it for an entire meal.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I had this eggplant dish the other day at a buffet it was so good. I think it's Baingan Bharta?

Plus there's always dal (lentil).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

The problem I've always had with coconut milk isn't blending the flesh smooth, it's getting the drat stuff out of the coconut. How do you easily and quickly separate the white flesh from the brown rind?
Vegetable peeler. Unless you mean out of the hard husk in which case, a sturdy knife that you wiggle inbetween and sort of lever the flesh out. It helps to score the flesh crosswise from the inside. And then a vegetable peeler.

Thai curry pro tip: use coconut milk without additives, and let the can stand for a while. Spoon off the semi-solid fat from the top and use that to fry the curry paste. Ideally you heat the coconut fat until the clear fat separates but that might not work with commercial product.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Good idea with letting the milk separate. I know one brand did that, I forget which. The people at the market would probably know.

I see paneer only lasts maybe 2 days. If I cook a curry with it, will the heat make it last longer?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I found an Asian market within 2.5 miles of my new place, so I'll check that out.

Dones anyone have a recommended recipe for a vegetarian dish aside from saag paneer? I liked the little bit I tried, but I think that it would be too much spinach if I had it for an entire meal.
Manjula's Kitchen and Veg Recipes of India both have great recipes. For instance I like this dal makhani.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
This. I keep pimping her aloo gobi recipe in these threads because it's the first Indian thing I learned to cook and it's my favorite, but she also has more potatoes + other veggies recipes that are great.

Also the obvious answer if saag paneer is too much spinach on its own is to combine it with some nice dal and maybe some raita on the side.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would Costco have it in huge containers too?
I can find it for $1 can here

But they have the half gallons for like $3

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Get to an Asian grocery store to find cheap coconut milk. Best brand that I've found is Chaokoh, and I can find it at the Asian store for between $1 - $1.50 a can. I like Arroy-D also, but only their coconut cream sold in a tetra pack in the 2 litre size. That one should run you about $3.50 or so. Thai Kitchen brand is lovely, but horrendously overpriced. For a solid all-purpose coconut milk, get yourself the Chaokoh. Every Thai person I know swears by that brand.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dino. posted:

Get to an Asian grocery store to find cheap coconut milk. Best brand that I've found is Chaokoh, and I can find it at the Asian store for between $1 - $1.50 a can. I like Arroy-D also, but only their coconut cream sold in a tetra pack in the 2 litre size. That one should run you about $3.50 or so. Thai Kitchen brand is lovely, but horrendously overpriced. For a solid all-purpose coconut milk, get yourself the Chaokoh. Every Thai person I know swears by that brand.

Definitely get Chaokoh. It's not homogenized/stabilized either and will pretty reliably be separated, unlike a lot of the brands in generic western grocery stores.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
At work my brother from another mother sharpened his veggie cleaver which I tested out julienning some onions so thin you can read newspaper through 'em and then i have a pile of teeny onion strips and its a super slow day and we're trying to get rid of old product on the line so before I know it I'm browning the onions and making a tomato puree and pulverizing an almost sarcastic amount of garlic and ginger.

One metric whack of cumin, a tenth of a fuckload of turmeric, two jalapenos, a pinch of scezchuan peppercorn because they're loving lazy sitting on the shelf doing nothing, and enough garam masala until i feel better emotionally. Throw in "enough" puree, "enough" diced chicken titty, and "lots" of mushrooms. Salt to taste. A hunk of shroom base. Thicken with a single jizzum of slurry. Make infused rice. There's family meal for everybody.

My poo poo today smells better than my exec chef's food. I should seriously consider doing my job professionally some time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I finally went to that Asian grocery store. It's basically a third of a gas station, but it's got chaokon for $2 and it's got a 400g tub of yellow curry paste for $4. I got one of both. I'm going to make that crappy curry recipe one last time to finish off the curry powder and the giant can of crushed tomatoes I have, then I'm going to start trying to make a good yellow curry.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 2, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The indian cooking class in San Mateo Friday August 26th is 'Indian Breakfast' theme so I'm probably going to skip it.

http://www.meetup.com/San-Mateo-Spices-n-curry-Indian-cooking-foodie-Meetup/events/233147101/?rv=ea1

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
Growing up, my best friend was this Indian kid named Nitin. We used to eat as his place all the time, and his mom made the dankest goat curry. To this day, it's by far my favorite Indian dish, but I've never really been able to figure out how to cook goat meat properly.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Would it make sense to treat young goat (kid) like lamb and adult goat like mutton?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Where is everyone buying goat meat? I want the goat meat.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

MrSlam posted:

I live in Atlanta, so it's pretty available at all of the gigantic international markets. Color me fortunate.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

MrSlam posted:

Halal butchers, and the Whole Foods in Fremont CA sells it from the butcher too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want to make Kheer. Does anyone have a good recipe for that?

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I want to make Kheer. Does anyone have a good recipe for that?

I've made kheer and liked the results, using http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/kheer-rice-pudding/ as a reference. Good cardamom and basmati rice helped. I think I added some raisins. And if you have powdered milk, save yourself some time by cutting the milk by a quarter or so and substituting an equivalent amount of powder after the rice is cooked. Maybe there's a good conversion with evaporated milk too. Sitting around stirring a pot for an hour isn't my first choice!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Ranter posted:

What's your definition of expensive coconut milk? My regular supermarket carries a can for around $1.20 maybe up to $1.99 IIRC. Asian market may have it cheaper, sure. You should be going to your asian market anyway, shits so much cheaper in general at mine. $1.49/lb ground pork? Yes please.

I'm super lucky in that there's an Asian grocery store in town that is like half white people grocer. None of the sketchiness of some of the downtown pure Asian markets where meat labeling can be dubious. Can get pretty much everything I don't buy from Costco there, and then they also have Asian veg (all the choys and Lans), fresh noodle, better fish than anything that's not a fish market and they actually stock heart, tripe, and othrr offal. I was pretty sad when I moved from a place five minute walk to a place fifteen minutes drive.

MrSlam posted:

Theres a halal butcher across from the above Asian market. :smuggo:

Seriously though. If you're having trouble finding goat, see if you have a halal butcher nearby.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I found Chaokoh finally. Unfortunately it's $2.20 per can. On the bright side, I found a store brand that's $1.50. How bad is it that its ingredients are coconut extract, water, guar gum? I'll probably spring for the better stuff next time, but I can't afford it right now.

How much milk and paste should I use if I'm using two pounds of chicken, 2 of potatoes, 1 of carrots, and 2 bell peppers?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I found Chaokoh finally. Unfortunately it's $2.20 per can. On the bright side, I found a store brand that's $1.50. How bad is it that its ingredients are coconut extract, water, guar gum? I'll probably spring for the better stuff next time, but I can't afford it right now.

How much milk and paste should I use if I'm using two pounds of chicken, 2 of potatoes, 1 of carrots, and 2 bell peppers?

You might consider substituting almond or cashew milk for coconut milk. It tends to be both cheaper and fresher in the US and serves about the same purpose. I use it in my Thai curries and it tastes a lot better than the canned coconut milk.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might give that a shot next time. My wife loves almond milk, so we always have it. Does it need to be any sort of special almond milk or just the stuff next to the normal milk in the dairy section?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I just wanted to share that my partner managed to make restaurant-style chilli paneer the other day and I almost wept with joy. loving love that stuff.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might give that a shot next time. My wife loves almond milk, so we always have it. Does it need to be any sort of special almond milk or just the stuff next to the normal milk in the dairy section?

That's the stuff, just make sure it's unsweetened.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In that case, could I use the coconut milk in that same section? That's well under half the price of the cheap full-faced canned stuff, and pretty much the same as almond milk.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

In that case, could I use the coconut milk in that same section? That's well under half the price of the cheap full-faced canned stuff, and pretty much the same as almond milk.

It's a lot cheaper because it's heavily watered down to have a similar consistency to milk you'd drink. Also guar gum/stabilized coconut milk isn't the worst and is better than that alternative.

If price is the big issue I'd reduce the amount of meat I was using and still use nice coconut milk, I think it's such a core element of the flavor profile that spending ~$5 on two cans is worth it. Your more veggie-heavy curry will taste a lot better overall.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

ekeog posted:

It's a lot cheaper because it's heavily watered down to have a similar consistency to milk you'd drink. Also guar gum/stabilized coconut milk isn't the worst and is better than that alternative.

If price is the big issue I'd reduce the amount of meat I was using and still use nice coconut milk, I think it's such a core element of the flavor profile that spending ~$5 on two cans is worth it. Your more veggie-heavy curry will taste a lot better overall.

I wasn't sure about the coconut milk in that section, I think it has to be about the same thing as the cans. You should really give almond milk a try if you haven't. It has a lot of the fresh fruity nutty flavor that fresh coconut milk has. I personally prefer it over the canned coconut milk but to each his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy

MrSlam posted:

Idk where you live, but I go to the mexican market or a real, dedicated carniceria. they typically have plenty of goat in the freezer. Normally, I can choose from legs or whatever I want.