Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If it's a long cooking SOAKED bean, I'll generally default to 12 minutes after I reach full pressure. If it's a long-cooking unsoaked bean, I'll default to 28 minutes after full pressure. If it's a short cooking unsoaked bean, I'll default to 12 minutes after hitting pressure. If it's a short cooking soaked bean, I'll just do it on the stove, and skip the pressure cooker. I ignore the whistles, and set a timer, regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greats
Sep 29, 2016

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This page and others like it are good references for cooking most things - use it to help you eyeball some cooking times and that'll cut down on the guesswork a bit when trying to go from "X whistles" to some measurement of time that actually works (I just ignore the whistle time measurements in recipes).

oh this is awesome, and these times line up with my experience, many thanks

made whole black urad dals last night according to this recipe and the recommended cook time is perfect (glad it wasn't whistles) http://www.northindiancooking.com/black-whole-urad-dal-black-grams-ma-ki-dal-dal-makkhani-kaali-dal.html

had to simmer down some since my pressure cooker seemed to hold in more water than hers, something I'll have to keep in mind in later

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Let's talk biryiani.

Who has a good recipe? I've been working my own method lately, which I cobbled together from some research, conversations with some Punjabi guys, and my own tastes. I think I have room to improve, and I realize that my approach may provoke some "the gently caress is wrong with you" reactions. I recognize that there are "stir fry" approaches too, but I've been going with this approach because it gives me good lunchable leftovers, and it's relatively hands off.

Anyway, I've been marinating meat (usually chicken, but right now I'm eating pork) in yogurt and spices (ginger, chili powder, turmeric), and then baking that with rice, broth, vegetables (usually eggplant and mushrooms, sometimes green peas too), and hing + garam masala tarka in a cast iron dutch oven until the rice and meat is cooked.

Thoughts? How do you guys approach it?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm still going through the backlog however, I have always wondered if there are certain flavor pairings in curry which are mostly accepted, or anything to work off of along those lines? One of my most valuable cooking resource as I learned western/american cooking was a spice rack with a list of which spices you ought to have on hand, and what you want to be thinking about using them for.

I've had some great curries with fruits of different kinds for instance, and have personally had a lot of success with potatoes in a curry as well, I'm just not sure if there's some sort of rule of thumb or reference, for instance - if I've got a duck, versus lean pork, versus some fatty red meat, would I have a preference toward a certain color or something, etc etc.

greats
Sep 29, 2016

coyo7e posted:

I'm still going through the backlog however, I have always wondered if there are certain flavor pairings in curry which are mostly accepted, or anything to work off of along those lines? One of my most valuable cooking resource as I learned western/american cooking was a spice rack with a list of which spices you ought to have on hand, and what you want to be thinking about using them for.

I've had some great curries with fruits of different kinds for instance, and have personally had a lot of success with potatoes in a curry as well, I'm just not sure if there's some sort of rule of thumb or reference, for instance - if I've got a duck, versus lean pork, versus some fatty red meat, would I have a preference toward a certain color or something, etc etc.

perhaps some resources like this would be useful?

http://www.indianfoodsite.com/spices.htm

I think the list here is kind of small, but for me simply researching individual spices as I learn about them has proved helpful. that's in addition to the occasional experiments

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there any sort of curry to make with spaghetti squash? I've got one
I need to use, and my wife doesn't like it used as a pasta substitute. I'm just feeling like it would be weird considering its tendency to go into strands.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there any sort of curry to make with spaghetti squash? I've got one
I need to use, and my wife doesn't like it used as a pasta substitute. I'm just feeling like it would be weird considering its tendency to go into strands.
something like a singapore noodle curry with vermicilli noodles would probably work, just sub the squash for vermicelli. You likely do not want to skip the egg though because I imagine the proteins would help the squash retain texture instead of possibly breaking down a little.

It's also my favorite yellow curry

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That noodle curry sounds pretty good.

Unfortunately after having so much Thai curry over the past few months, she nixed any curry. Unrelated to squash, is the consistency of dal a regional thing? She was raised Bahai, and she mentioned a week or so ago that she misses the dal she had at feasts. It would be whatever variation is made in Iran.

Also I'm going to have to try making it with split peas rather than lentils, because she's apparently slightly allergic to beans.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So, it may not be the most authentic attempt (again), but I am cooking chicken tikka masala later today.

Here's the recipe I'm using, stolen from one of those Tasty/Tastemade videos on facebook. It's from a batch sort of recipe where you cook three different types of chicken, this is just the relevant portion:

Chicken Tikka
Ingredients:
1 lb boneless chicken, cubed into 1 ½-inch pieces
½ yellow onion, peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp garam masala
1 Tbsp turmeric
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup of canned chopped tomatoes with the juice
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper
½ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
1 lime, juiced

Steps:
1. In a large bowl, combine everything but the lime juice in a bowl; mix until fully incorporated. Place in remaining compartment of your prepared, foiled baking dish.
2. Bake chicken in a 400 degree oven for 30–40 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking. Cool to room temperature and place in GladWare for conveniently delicious prepared meals throughout the week.

This isn't a lot of food, I don't think, so I may be making some dal on Wednesday or Thursday since I do have lentils and all the spices. Or most of them; I'm not 100% sure I have fenugreek.

I think for my next attempt at tikka masala, maybe next week or over Christmas, I'll go the more authentic route with using chicken thighs and coconut milk. I really don't care for dark meat, though, so I would hate to make it and have it not be something I like.

E: So, I made a double batch of it and it turned out to not have a lot of liquid. Flavors are okay, but there's a significant lack of liquid. I didn't measure the tomatoes before adding in the liquid - I used a 15oz can of tomatoes since the recipe calls for 1 cup of tomatoes and double would be 16oz. I thought the extra ounce wouldn't matter, but it looks like it does.

E2: I found the missing liquid. I took the recipe from this post:
https://www.facebook.com/tastemade/videos/1230820383671793/

They have you divide a baking sheet into smaller compartments to cook each chicken dish. I didn't make mine right and the tikka's liquid went under the foil I used for the other compartment. Sad times. I'm thinking of adding a little chicken broth to my lunch containers to maybe bring it back. The Chinese 5 Spice Orange Chicken is delicious and I can't stop eating it. Wish my tikka would have turned out as good, too.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 3, 2016

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
This is probably a heretical question but: are there any brands of prepackaged naan to look for? Every one I've tried from a store has been really "bready".

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Prepackaged naan are universally terrible, but paratha or roti are tolerable (they're thinner and reheat nicely)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mike Danger posted:

This is probably a heretical question but: are there any brands of prepackaged naan to look for? Every one I've tried from a store has been really "bready".

The mass-market Naan in the bakery aisle are terrible.

However, if you can find the frozen Paratha/Roti/Chiapatis they are delicious

If you have a local Indian or Arab grocer they might have fresh stuff too.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Mike Danger posted:

I get the ones in the red bag (brand: Deep) but I assume they are probably one of the bready ones

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I find that flash heating (in a pan or toaster) improves the bready ones quite a bit. I enjoy the suraj naan enough that I buy it regularly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm making a home-brew slow cooker lamb palak tomorrow - I consulted a few recipes and I tossed chopped lamb, spinach, ginger, coriander, chili powder, garlic, browned onions, turmeric, and yogurt into the slow cooker. It's in the fridge now, and I'll put it on low for 8h tomorrow.

Wish me luck :v:!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CommonShore posted:

I'm making a home-brew slow cooker lamb palak tomorrow - I consulted a few recipes and I tossed chopped lamb, spinach, ginger, coriander, chili powder, garlic, browned onions, turmeric, and yogurt into the slow cooker. It's in the fridge now, and I'll put it on low for 8h tomorrow.

Wish me luck :v:!
I am probably entirely stupid however - yogurt for 8 hours? I've always been taught that you marinade in the lactic stuff, or add it at the last possible point before serving.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

coyo7e posted:

I am probably entirely stupid however - yogurt for 8 hours? I've always been taught that you marinade in the lactic stuff, or add it at the last possible point before serving.

YEah that's what I'm worried about. I waffled on it, but I made a snap decision to marinade in it becuase it needed something. I added as little as I could to get everything coated.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just got home and checked on it. It ended up in the slow cooker for about 7h. The lamb is a bit over-stewed, but everything seems tasty. I added another 2-3 tablespoons of yogurt, and turned off the heat.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Mike Danger posted:

Trader Joe's frozen garlic naan is delicious and has nice char spots.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
NVM.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 14, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have a good Panang curry recipe? I couldn't find yellow curry paste, and I like peanuty curries so I figured it was worth a shot. I assume it's not just "take yellow curry recipe, use Panang curry paste."

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Seconded. I've started making my own red and green Thai-style pastes and I'm never going back. Just need a penang and a massaman now.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a good Panang curry recipe? I couldn't find yellow curry paste, and I like peanuty curries so I figured it was worth a shot. I assume it's not just "take yellow curry recipe, use Panang curry paste."
This should be of interest:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792038&perpage=40

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a standard way to thicken a curry? I used 1 can coconut milk, 1 can vegetable broth, would have liked it a little thicker. More coconut milk? Add something like cornstarch?

Came out a hair under-seasoned but I hadn't made it in forever.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I think the standard way is just cooking the curry down. Mashed lentils, chickpea flour (northern) and rice flour (southern) are common thickeners too, but usually simmered longer = better.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If you don't use broth, you won't get such a thin curry in the first place. Chopped/pureed veggies instead of vegetable broth works better for all the types I've ever made.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

If you don't use broth, you won't get such a thin curry in the first place. Chopped/pureed veggies instead of vegetable broth works better for all the types I've ever made.

There's a diced onion and tomato in there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Warmed it up at work in the microwave even added a little water) and the consistency was perfect today

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

reduce with the lid off for a while. If you're feeling lazy, add some flour/water slurry for a quicker but less tasty thicken.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Pureed or extremely finely minced onion can also act as a thickener. When in doubt, add onion.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

For that thickness i like to mince onions, garlic and ginger, then slowly brown them with curcuma until very soft. I then puree that and use it to thicken curries.
Of course long simmering is important but this way it gets more sauce and more of a velvety texture.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

I bought some dried curry leaves, but read afterwards that they aren't a great substitute for fresh leaves (which I couldn't find) and that they taste very different. Any tips on using these things?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Maximum Planck posted:

I bought some dried curry leaves, but read afterwards that they aren't a great substitute for fresh leaves (which I couldn't find) and that they taste very different. Any tips on using these things?
They taste to me mostly like a lot less flavorful fresh ones. Maybe my taste buds are broken. I use them mostly like I would use fresh leaves.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I made a curry! Made chicken tikka masala from Food Wishes for my lunches this week and it's awesome.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Made some punjabi rajma masala today, with jeera rice.

So tasty, and very economical.

Getting better at using my food processor to prepare all the ingredients. Mincing vegetables is my least favorite part, but using my food processor eliminates most (but not all sadly) of the prep work.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I had a Thai fried rice the other day that had turmeric in it and was fantastic. Are there any Indian dishes similar to fried rice?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Maximum Planck posted:

Deep fry them along with the rest of the tarka spices, and they'll be fine.

Booyah- posted:

I had a Thai fried rice the other day that had turmeric in it and was fantastic. Are there any Indian dishes similar to fried rice?

Biriyani. Sort of. Maaaaybe pulao. We tend to keep rice as a main dish, and everything else as a side dish, so it's infrequent to have something like a fried rice where you have a bunch of different things with rice. Biriyani and pulao are the main exceptions.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've been making this and its really good, I have one question though for people who may be familiar with lemon grass. How am I supposed to prepare it? I thought it would get soft in the soup, but it doesn't. I just mince it up(like the recipe says) as small as I can, but its got a really coarse texture that isn't very good to eat.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I'd pound it well with something heavy then slice very very fine - or leave in large chunks to fish out afterwards. You're right, it doesn't really soften.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got the Dhillon book and immediately leveled up on my curry. I already premade bases but my stuff was too thick. Unfortunately, it does not have a Pav Bhaji recipe. Suggestions?

One complaint I have of the book is that the premade meat recipes are kind of crap. Thats where grilling yogurt-marinaded stuff would come to the rescue.